• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Hire Gerard Gallant as Head Coach; Signs 4-Year Deal Worth $3.5M per Season

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gallant/ Dolan could be interesting.

Gallant/Drury might be the issue. Drury is supposed to be an analytical guy, where I don't believe Gallant is AT ALL. Seems like an instinctual fan of the hot hand. I just hope he doesn't Quinn out and fall in love with the Howdens and Blackwells of the team as the proverbial "players coach"

Love the move. Happy they did not revisit an old nightmare in Tortorella. His act is tired in the NHL, let alone here. Would be absolutely shocked if we do not see a marked improvement in this team next year in all facets. This guy is a real hockey coach.

Gallant/Drury might be the issue. Drury is supposed to be an analytical guy, where I don't believe Gallant is AT ALL. Seems like an instinctual fan of the hot hand. I just hope he doesn't Quinn out and fall in love with the Howdens and Blackwells of the team as the proverbial "players coach"

Gallant isn't a slave to analytics it's not that he doesn't believe in them at all. I'll look around later to try and find some articles where he talks about it, I think he mentions 30% or something like that. The bigger problem though would be IF he and Drury are at polar opposites as you suggest here and that would be a complete organizational failure right out of the gate from Dolan and Drury all the way down. I would have to hope they have discussed it and have come to an agreement before signing a deal, no?

Good choice. I remember watching his teams in Florida and more recently in Vegas. I was super impressed with how he lead that very first Vegas Golden Knights team. They were a very fun team to watch and root for. To this day, I still sorta like Golden Knights, although admittedly it's very hard to root for Fleury.

Would love to know why he seems to flame out after about 3 years on all his stops. Sometimes, when a coach is really intense, that style can wear real thin after awhile? Or is it more than that? Maybe different reasons at different stops...

Anyway, whatever the reason(s), hopefully with age and experience comes wisdom and he can avoid whatever pitfalls may have occurred previously.

Here's to Gallant being a very successful head coach of the New York Rangers for a long time!

This. I don't believe at all that he was "the best" candidate, he was a great candidate in a field of great names being discussed.

My only concern is that he's gone after 2+ years, like every other job he had before this one. I know that's not ridiculously short in coaching cycles, but it's kinda short. Team needs some stability.

That was my concern too but three years of him coaching this team is still pretty good. We’ll see where they are then and if they need new coach then They need a new coach.

I don’t care too much about analytics in a coach. I feel like that’s more of a GM’s concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always felt like the coach is all about motivation and systems. Analytics and contracts are for GMS. Just as long as he doesn't play AV's man to man shit in the defensive zone I'm ok.

Agreed. I think it's important for a coach to recognize/understand analytics, but not to the point that he's being undermined by the front office because a guy with a marginally higher xGF in a small sample size is playing on the third line instead of the second.

If the coach is good at his job — as in not AV — most of the time, the analytics thing sorts itself out regardless.

ok. more important is what we do in the off season. glad it didn't linger. would have liked a bit more championship pedigree but probably wasn't there.

glad it wasn't babcock or torts. would've cast my vote for tocchet but more because how he played the game.

hope for the best.

easy to agree with carp but don't we all see that. especially given who is left standing in the final 4 right now.

they have young talent assembled and the trick will be what to let go of to get more sandpaper on this team. that includes the possibility of landing a bonified captain to the group as there's a reason we haven't had one in some years now.

Sources have told The Post that Gallant — who had also been interviewed for the post in Columbus — was offered and accepted the job without meeting Garden chairman Jim Dolan.

The parameters of the yet-to-be-signed contract are unknown, but Quinn was working on a four-year deal. It would be expected that Gallant’s term would be at least that long with compensation in the $4 million-$5 million range.

The Blueshirts were in need of a coach with a track record of NHL success. That defines the 57-year-old Gallant, who has a career 270-216-55 record with Columbus, Florida and Vegas, and was named 2017-18 NHL Coach of the Year for his work with the expansion Golden Knights, whom he led to the Cup final. Gallant also coached Saint John of the QMJHL to two league titles and a Memorial Cup.

Gallant is known as a salt-of-the-earth personality, a no-nonsense, strong communicator with his players who believes in an up-tempo, puck-pursuit, high-pressure game. He is not someone who is prone to coddle the personnel, and that includes prospects.

But Gallant does have a positive history with young players, most notably with the Panthers, where he was instrumental in the development of Aleksander Barkov, Jonathan Huberdeau and Aaron Ekblad. He also got the most out of a then-43-year-old Jaromir Jagr in Florida. That alone should speak to the scope of the coach’s communication skills and his ability to get the most out of marquee veterans with strong personalities.

There is a roster to bolster with players who play a more rugged style. There is also a coaching staff to fill. That includes the role of video coach in the aftermath of Jerry Dineen’s dismissal on Monday.

If there is one critique of Gallant, it is that he is not especially strong on X’s and O’s and may not be the most adept game coach in the league in terms of making strategic adjustments on the fly. Though one source familiar with the coach said that this criticism is exaggerated, the Rangers are going to need to hire at least a lead assistant who can fill in those blanks.

We are told that players who do not follow Gallant’s dictates wind up not playing all that much, and that Gallant does not hesitate to sit players no matter their names. There is accountability demanded and respect earned.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/14/inside-the-rangers-monumental-hiring-of-gerard-gallant/