• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

Phil

didn't you say the same thing about Buchnevich earlier?

Yes, I'd rather not trade him, but I'm not holding some unbreakable position that he cannot be dealt. It all depends on what the deal is. I'm not letting him hold up a trade for Tkachuk, for example.

This is what I mean about why the term shouldn't exist. I'm reluctant to trade Buchnevich. I think he was one of the team's best forwards all year. Arguably their best. He does everything they're looking for. But he pales in comparison to a 23-year-old Tkachuk who does all the same things but better, and with more runway in his career left.

• 2 weeks later...

Staying away from the dream deals of nabbing a Tkachuk or any top line player, I think we need to shift our thoughts to guys that would fit in the bottom six.

Greenway has been mentioned and is a nice player who somewhat fits the mold the fans think the Rangers should targeting. The position he plays is the only issue. With Minnesotas expansion draft issues, the guy is a kinda must get though. It probably wouldn't break the bank either in terms of what it would take to get him.

Anyway, with position being an issue for filling this need, the focus needs to be shifted to getting a center who can play the role we all desire.

So, how about Nazem Kadri?

He's not a fighter, but he plays hard. He's always good on faceoffs which is another need. After his latest playoff fuck up and suspension, he's probably available for next to nothing. 4.5 cap hit, but he always produces at a decent clip point wise. 32 points in 56 games this year..

If the Rangers want to combat the Tom Wilson's of the league, without using a goon, these are the type of players they are going to have to look at. Warts and all. He brings 2 needs instantly but he's got that baggage and it's time to buy . He'll be on clearance...

Are we above supporting such a player?

I'm not. Let him do his thing here and we will probably love him.

How about others like him? Bad reputation and all.

I want Nick Foligno. Idk if that is an option or not but thats what we need here. And he is currently playing center in Tavares absence. Vet, past Captain, rough around the edges and supposedly a full on team guy. He should be target #1 imo.

We need to stop confusing "grit" for "big" or "punches faces". This team is as well served on the grit department adding Blake Coleman as they are hitting a home run on a straight-up enforcer like Reaves.

We DO need someone who can punch faces, but these two things - barring someone like Tkachuk or something - are likely separate buys.

We need to stop confusing "grit" for "big" or "punches faces". This team is as well served on the grit department adding Blake Coleman as they are hitting a home run on a straight-up enforcer like Reaves.

We DO need someone who can punch faces, but these two things - barring someone like Tkachuk or something - are likely separate buys.

Exactly. It would seriously help if he could win faceoffs too.

Instead of aiming low for a goon or aiming high for a Tkachuk (I wish though), the Rangers need to find that in between. Gritty, nasty, plays hard. Any offensive or defensive skill is a plus. Those are tge traits that are realistically available. Sadly what the Rangers have in trade is worth so much more than what such players should cost.

This off season is going to hurt. The Rangers are going to either severely over pay, for mid level talent with attributes that this roster lacks, or they will keep what they have and suffer by stunting someone growth, while digging a deeper hole the rest of the league will see when it comes down to the wire on choosing between Buchnevich, Kakko and Kravtsov, Nevermind the situation with the centers and their impending unrestricted free agency.

Drury has his hands full.

they actually need all of this. Hoping someone can check multiple boxes,.and not just "fighter" or grit. Or we end up Glass and Fast.

Yeah, we're gonna do a merge. Carry on.

I figured I'd start a newer one that shyed away from the bigger "reach" wishlist. Sorry my post upset someone. Might as well move all the trade target threads to this one too. You know because ....