• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is the Bigger Risk Trading or Paying Buchnevich?

Phil

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buchnevich doesnt do much to move the needle for Eichel. His value would be him being a roster player.

I mean, would you trade Panarin with the main piece coming back is Andre Burakovskiy?

Buchnevich would have more value going to a team that would need him, and give up assets for a cup run.

His value to a Cup-run team is greater than his value to Buffalo for sure, but Buffalo is desperate for effective NHL players who can make them better in a hurry because their culture is as toxic as can be. They're bringing up a ton of youth who should be better, and who should be making themselves household names in an atmosphere that's just rife with loser mentality. Ryan O'Reilly said he lost his love of the game there. Ristolainen, I think, basically talked about being openly depressed.

It's hard to compare this kind of trade to otherwise normal NHL trades. What they need is just a massive influx of new players/voices who can immediately counter their depressive state.

My point is that Eichel has not moved the needle one bit in terms of team success in Buffalo. They are terrible with or without him. Why would you trade 5 good assets for him? You bring him to much of the same situation as he saw in Buffalo once those 5 go the other way. No thanks if that's the case

I wouldn't. You're assuming my position before you know it. I'm simply defending against the insinuation I inferred from your post that its somehow his fault. He gave them a literal point-per-game season and they still made just god awful management decisions regarding personnel. There's only so much one player can do. He's clearly done it, to the tune of nearly a point-per-game NHL pace over his career to this point. It's not on him. It's on them.

Wingers are much more easily replaced than centers, so if he's the key to making a trade for Eichel work, you do it. The team can build another Buchnevich, eventually. Or buy one in free agency.

Agreed. Totally. Though Buchnevich has finally turned that corner and started the season as a somewhat dominant force on his own. It's much harder to trade him now than I ever thought I would even think twice about.

But you deal a player like this for a legit elite center. Does Kravstov replace him? When? While we wait for that to happen, who slots up? Or how much can we spend for a filler?

I wouldn't. You're assuming my position before you know it. I'm simply defending against the insinuation I inferred from your post that its somehow his fault. He gave them a literal point-per-game season and they still made just god awful management decisions regarding personnel. There's only so much one player can do. He's clearly done it, to the tune of nearly a point-per-game NHL pace over his career to this point. It's not on him. It's on them.

I was responding to multiple posts with my post

Agreed. Totally. Though Buchnevich has finally turned that corner and started the season as a somewhat dominant force on his own. It's much harder to trade him now than I ever thought I would even think twice about.

But you deal a player like this for a legit elite center. Does Kravstov replace him? When? While we wait for that to happen, who slots up? Or how much can we spend for a filler?

I think the idea, too, is that Buchnevich takes up a larger chunk of the return value now than he would have previously. If we assigned percentages, maybe instead of Buffalo viewing him as worth 20% of the package coming back, they view him in the 35-40% range, which in theory would reduce the sum of the rest of the parts included in the deal.

• Like 1

My point is that Eichel has not moved the needle one bit in terms of team success in Buffalo. They are terrible with or without him. Why would you trade 5 good assets for him? You bring him to much of the same situation as he saw in Buffalo once those 5 go the other way. No thanks if that's the case

What was he meant to do? Win games on his own? Hockey is a team sport. His production is absolutely outstanding given the teams he's been on since being drafted.

And no, with the proposed packages he'd still be on a team with more talent than he's ever had in Buffalo.

2. So the question posed in this space a week ago — whether it would be a bigger risk for the Rangers to trade Pavel Buchnevich at the deadline or pay him the big bucks when he becomes a restricted free agent this summer one year away from unrestricted free agency — has pretty much been answered by No. 89 himself, hasn’t it?

Buchnevich has become an essential part of the formula by evolving not only into a productive top-sixer but by becoming a complete player with a worthy work ethic at both ends of the ice.

The question now becomes how much and for how long? Is four or five years at $5.5 million per a reasonable opening bid for the winger who has 16 points (7-9) in his last 12 games and leads the club in scoring with 28 points (11-17)?

And if you’re looking for an Exhibit A to present into evidence of how Quinn’s tough love can pay dividends, Buchnevich is not a bad place to start.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/21/pavel-buchnevich-has-answered-rangers-trade-deadline-dilemma/

Must keep Buch. Get rid of Kreider any way you can. Buch does all on the ice, PK and PP, scores nearly PPG, makes plays and scores. Kreider, on the other hand, scores hat tricks against the worst team in the league

This.

Rysik is right.

His value is high right now and we cannot afford another big contract for a 60-70 point winger. We need another viable center. If Buch can help us land that center, then I am all for it. Yea, yea, trade Krieder instead. Sure, good luck with that. His contract alone will make it all but impossible.

However, Buffalo sounds like they want the world for Eichel and that ain’t happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

His value is high right now and we cannot afford another big contract for a 60-70 point winger. We need another viable center. If Buch can help us land that center, then I am all for it. Yea, yea, trade Krieder instead. Sure, good luck with that. His contract alone will make it all but impossible.

However, Buffalo sounds like they want the world for Eichel and that ain’t happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not his contract, his full no-movement clause.

"Chris, we'd like to move you to—"

"No. I'm not going anywhere."

That's likely how that conversation goes.

Yeah, I keep hearing the trade Kreider vibe and I don’t think there is any way, a year after resigning here, that he agrees to be moved. Especially if you add in how he’s used so much and never really faces any coaching backlash when he disappears or takes a bad penalty. He’s got it made here. Why would he want to go?

He’d waive if he’s not wanted. Like you said before, they get these NMCs just to have control where they are traded to