• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is the Bigger Risk Trading or Paying Buchnevich?

Phil

1. The question for the hierarchy approaching the April 12 trade deadline is whether Pavel Buchnevich has played well enough to remove him from the market or, alternately, whether Buchnevich’s strong season has priced him off the roster going forward.

It seemed a foregone conclusion coming into the season that the Rangers would look to move Buchnevich before the winger, who turns 26 next month, could get to arbitration-eligible Group II free agency this summer, a year before he’d become eligible for unrestricted free agency.

But Buchnevich, who leads the Blueshirts with 22 points (8-14) through 26 games, has taken a quantum leap in becoming one of the club’s most reliable forwards at even-strength and on both specialty units. Though the organization seems stacked on the wings, moving the first-liner would create a hole that might take at least a couple of years to fill.

If the Rangers are going to trade Buchnevich, they would have to get either a no-doubt, youngish top-six center or a more grinding-oriented winger in the mold of a Zach Hyman, let’s say, in return. Both of those scenarios seem unlikely.

So if not that, then the Rangers would likely be looking at an annual payday and cap charge in the $5.5 million neighborhood in order to lock up No. 89 long-term.

Is the bigger risk trading or paying Buchnevich?

https://nypost.com/2021/03/14/rangers-pavel-buchnevich-question-before-nhl-trade-deadline/

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rangers will not become a contender if they trade the likes of Buchnevich for prospects, picks or cheaper players. To be a contender, you need a complement of good players in Buch's price range in addition to your stars.

The Rangers will not become a contender if they trade the likes of Buchnevich for prospects, picks or cheaper players. To be a contender, you need a complement of good players in Buch's price range in addition to your stars.

I’m all for trading him as part of a move for a legit center. We do t need any more prospects.

I’m torn. A guy finally turns into the player you ask for and times up. Rangers can’t afford to pay guys unless it’s a top line player. Too many prospects to take those spots.

Yeah, I mean, I like him, but they effectively chose Kreider over him. The dollars don't exist anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not true. Buch is much better all-around player. Kreids is one dimensional and should become an odd man out once Laf develops. Buch can play on the third line if need be and will still put up points because he creates.

I was just joking. I’d take Buch over Kreider any day. He at least trends up and still has a chance to be better. Kreider is just who he is and will never be more.

Wingers are much more easily replaced than centers, so if he's the key to making a trade for Eichel work, you do it. The team can build another Buchnevich, eventually. Or buy one in free agency.

I don't think he'd be key in making an Eichel trade work, though. You trade Eichel, you're left with Sheahan, Eric Staal, Curtis Lazar, and Cody Eakin down the middle. There's little to no chance Eichel gets moved without Buffalo getting a younger, high-potential center as the deal's center piece. While their wingers are shit as well, I think their primary focus would be rebuilding their center depth if they move Eichel. Like you saud, wingers are much more easily replaced than centers.

EDIT: Granted if he's the key, then yes you absolutely pull the trigger on the deal, hang up immediately, sign the paperwork and then change your phone number.

Ooh, for once, Brooks with an interesting question!

For me, it's "what's it cost to keep Buch" more than anything else. If he wants something like Kreider, he's warranted, but he's also probably out the door. If he wants to stay here and take like - the Oliver Bjorkstrand deal? All in.

I suppose the other side of it is what you can get for him. If there's a team willing to give us that center, I'd have to think we move him regardless.

If the Rangers are going to deal for Eichel or another top center of any kind, then Buch is 100% a trade chip. I don't think any team will never not ask for him in any deal for a top of the line center. I would do it. For a new contract here, he's worth Chris Kreider money more than Chris Kreider, so if that's what it would take to keep him here if they hang on to him, then yes.

But they do. They have 30m in space this summer.

Long term I think its an issue but if you want to give Buch a fair contract and see how he does over the next year or two before you decide to trade someone then I think they're fine. Eventually you need to make space to re-sign Mika (assuming he finds his talent again) and then down the line Miller, Kakko, Laf, Schneider, Kravtsov, Chytil, Igor etc...

I dont even begin to know what a fair offer for Buch is. $3-6 mil (I assume hes going to ask for 6)

But they do. They have 30m in space this summer.

All I've seen since Kakko and Lafreniere have been drafted is how we need to make sure the books are clear when their ELCs are up so they can be signed to mega contracts to lock them up through their 20s. It's still early for Lafreniere, but it looks extremely unlikely that Kakko will be getting big dollars any time soon. The translation here is that there should be money for others, like Buchnevich, because our top picks are not panning out to big money players yet. It's most likely safe to go 4 or 5 years on Buchnevich if they want to hold onto him.

The issue isn't the cap as much as the logjam on the wings.

Buch

Kakko

Kravtsov

Gauthier

--

PDG

Blackwell

All right wingers, maybe 1 or 2 fit for bottom 6 duty.

There's only so much icetime to go around. Especially on the PP.

The issue isn't the cap as much as the logjam on the wings.

Buch

Kakko

Kravtsov

Gauthier

--

PDG

Blackwell

All right wingers, maybe 1 or 2 fit for bottom 6 duty.

There's only so much icetime to go around. Especially on the PP.

The problem being there are only 2 NHL wingers?

Long term I think its an issue but if you want to give Buch a fair contract and see how he does over the next year or two before you decide to trade someone then I think they're fine. Eventually you need to make space to re-sign Mika (assuming he finds his talent again) and then down the line Miller, Kakko, Laf, Schneider, Kravtsov, Chytil, Igor etc...

I dont even begin to know what a fair offer for Buch is. $3-6 mil (I assume hes going to ask for 6)

Buch normally is a 45 point player who in an elevated role is averaging higher this year. I'd be happy signing him to $5-5.5mil per season, which IMO is reasonable for a 2nd line winger.