• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is the Bigger Risk Trading or Paying Buchnevich?

Phil

The issue isn't the cap as much as the logjam on the wings.

Buch

Kakko

Kravtsov

Gauthier

--

PDG

Blackwell

All right wingers, maybe 1 or 2 fit for bottom 6 duty.

There's only so much icetime to go around. Especially on the PP.

I mean this looks deep but the only player we know what we're going to get from them is Buch.

Ideally, Buch can be a 3rd liner behind Kravstov and Kakko at some point in terms of skill but that's still years away.

I too understand that eventually we need money for Zib, Lafreniere and Kakko but it's impossible to know what they'll all get for their next contract. None of them are earning star money right now.

At some point we need to stop selling and start building. Kreider was a good step in that direction. Buch should also get another contract (unless as mentioned he's going in the Eichel deal).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure how I feel about this one yet;

Buchnevich is definitely trending in the right direction, and his value is probably pretty good right now.

Looking at Pete's chart of RW's I see a pretty good bunch with Buch/Kakko/Kravtsov/Gauthier. I don't think DiGuisseppe is NHL caliber just yet, and Blackwell I believe is more a Center than RW, but he does play both, which is a plus.

Signing him would probably be the route, but cost is always going to come into play. I think if we can get him for an "acceptable amount", that would be great, but I still keep getting the feeling he may be dealt for Eichel.

Do you guys think we could land Eichel for Chytil/Buch and #1 this year?

...especially now with Eichel being out for an extended, unknown period of time. I'm not sure if that hurts Eichel's value much, but it might give us a little more leverage in what we deal them.

I'm not so sure how I feel about this one yet;

Buchnevich is definitely trending in the right direction, and his value is probably pretty good right now.

Looking at Pete's chart of RW's I see a pretty good bunch with Buch/Kakko/Kravtsov/Gauthier. I don't think DiGuisseppe is NHL caliber just yet, and Blackwell I believe is more a Center than RW, but he does play both, which is a plus.

Signing him would probably be the route, but cost is always going to come into play. I think if we can get him for an "acceptable amount", that would be great, but I still keep getting the feeling he may be dealt for Eichel.

Do you guys think we could land Eichel for Chytil/Buch and #1 this year?

...especially now with Eichel being out for an extended, unknown period of time. I'm not sure if that hurts Eichel's value much, but it might give us a little more leverage in what we deal them.

Even if the injury is season-ending, I don't really think it hurts his trade value in a deal during the draft/offseason. I don't see a way the Rangers get him without parting with one of Kakko or Lafreniere.

Even if the injury is season-ending, I don't really think it hurts his trade value in a deal during the draft/offseason. I don't see a way the Rangers get him without parting with one of Kakko or Lafreniere.

I think Kevyn Adams would want a Center going back though, Sharpy....Eichel leaving would be a huge hole to fill for them, I would think. I guess we'll see.

Buch normally is a 45 point player who in an elevated role is averaging higher this year. I'd be happy signing him to $5-5.5mil per season, which IMO is reasonable for a 2nd line winger.

i think he's much better than a 45 point player now. he definitely improved

i'd give kreider $1M under the table and keys to your Corvette if he waives his NTC for Buffalo

I'd drive him there myself, and walk the hell home for it, if it was for Kreider only!!!

Not unless Eichel publicly comes out and says he will not put on a Sabres sweater ever again. Then again, if that does happen, Gorton would have to acknowledge his leverage this time and actually be a bit shrewd.

I don't see Eichel being "that" guy that comes out with that....who knows, but we have time....I just don't wanna give up the farm for Eichel. Gorton can get him without being silly, I think.

since coming into the league in 15/16 Eichel has the 13th most points from the C position in the league, on a team that has the 2nd least points in that time period unless you could the Knights which weren't around the entire time. Then its the third least points. I don't know his ceiling TBH, but if he were with actual talent, I think he improves on 13th most points to say 6-7th most? That puts him pretty elite.

It might go something like Kakko/Chytil/Buchnevich/Robertson/First Round Pick for him. I don't know, just throwing things around. It's going to take a lot.

Why would anyone do that? They might ask for that but no fucking way am I doing that. Think about what each of those pieces would get you on their own. That's like trading 5 first round picks for him. I would say you could have 2 of the players mentioned and a protected 1st

It might go something like Kakko/Chytil/Buchnevich/Robertson/First Round Pick for him. I don't know, just throwing things around. It's going to take a lot.

That sounds like too rich for my blood. I'd rather see us signing a veteran free agent Center like MacKinnon a couple years ('23) when he hits UFA status, or maybe trying to pull Toews away from the Hawks.

Eichel has been labeled a coach killer and his effort this season has been brutal. Serious attitude questions. I understand overlooking that for the talent. But I'm not overpaying to get a guy who has done nothing to move the needle for a franchise that desperately wanted to build around him. If anything it proves once again that hockey is not about one player to succeed. So why trade 5 quality players for 1 guy?

Why would anyone do that? They might ask for that but no fucking way am I doing that. Think about what each of those pieces would get you on their own. That's like trading 5 first round picks for him. I would say you could have 2 of the players mentioned and a protected 1st

I wouldn't do it either, but Buffalo is going to ask for a lot in return. Yeah, it's probably too rich, but I don't think it's necessarily too far off for what Buffalo would ask for. Again, just throwing things out there.

Eichel has been labeled a coach killer and his effort this season has been brutal. Serious attitude questions. I understand overlooking that for the talent. But I'm not overpaying to get a guy who has done nothing to move the needle for a franchise that desperately wanted to build around him. If anything it proves once again that hockey is not about one player to succeed. So why trade 5 quality players for 1 guy?

Done nothing to move the needle? He has 355 points in 375 NHL games. I've posted this before, but it's relevant to repeat:

They're the second-worst offense by way of GF/GP this season (2.15) and they've been a bottom-third team in team offense for every year he's been there. He scored 36 goals last season. The Sabres were 25th in GF/GP. He scored 82 points in 2018-2019. The Sabres were 25th in GF/GP.

It's not him. It's them.

Buchnevich doesnt do much to move the needle for Eichel. His value would be him being a roster player.

I mean, would you trade Panarin with the main piece coming back is Andre Burakovskiy?

Buchnevich would have more value going to a team that would need him, and give up assets for a cup run.

Done nothing to move the needle? He has 355 points in 375 NHL games. I've posted this before, but it's relevant to repeat:

They're the second-worst offense by way of GF/GP this season (2.15) and they've been a bottom-third team in team offense for every year he's been there. He scored 36 goals last season. The Sabres were 25th in GF/GP. He scored 82 points in 2018-2019. The Sabres were 25th in GF/GP.

It's not him. It's them.

My point is that Eichel has not moved the needle one bit in terms of team success in Buffalo. They are terrible with or without him. Why would you trade 5 good assets for him? You bring him to much of the same situation as he saw in Buffalo once those 5 go the other way. No thanks if that's the case