• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

Because he produced liked one. It would be more astounding if someone with his pre-draft production didn't get selected in the first round. We're all geniuses in hindsight.
Well, some are more stupid than others, like the Rangers. This is twice in a decade whiffing on a top ten pick... Good thing this time Tarasenko wasn't on the board.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely, unequivocally certain that the Rangers traded up thinking Pettersson would be there and panicked when the Canucks took him.

EP wasn't the only one but they were shooting for high skill and had to pull back when their guys were off the board.

That said, 2017 is going to go down as a weird draft. After the top 5, the talent fell off a cliff with a few exceptions (Necas, Suzuki, apparently Yamamoto, Chytil, Thomas). The picks immediately after Andersson look like complete busts too.

Tippett has been lighting up the A so I'm not sure of that.

Well, some are more stupid than others, like the Rangers. This is twice in a decade whiffing on a top ten pick... Good thing this time Tarasenko wasn't on the board.

Andersson =/= McIlrath. They're actually the complete opposite of each other despite being low-skill players. One was a project from the start while the other was supposed to be able to step in with almost immediate impact. Blame the Rangers all you want but they weren't the only ones who had expectations for his first season.

EP wasn't the only one but they were shooting for high skill and had to pull back when their guys were off the board.

Tippett has been lighting up the A so I'm not sure of that.

Eh, maybe on Tippett. Still early, but the clock's starting to tick on a few of these guys.

Andersson =/= McIlrath. They're actually the complete opposite of each other despite being low-skill players. One was a project from the start while the other was supposed to be able to step in with almost immediate impact. Blame the Rangers all you want but they weren't the only ones who had expectations for his first season.

I wasn't comparing Anderson to McIlrath.

What I said is, it's a whiff. Is it not?

I wasn't comparing Anderson to McIlrath.

What I said is, it's a whiff. Is it not?

Not excusing it, but I think 7-14 is the hardest spot of the draft to pick. It's like whiff city for the last decade.

There's a ton of pressure to hit, there's pressure to see the player make fast impact, and there's oftentimes not a player that meets either of those criteria. Then, you watch a playoff team walk off with a highly talented player that needs time and go "fucking hell, why didn't WE take that guy?"

McIlrath was just...I don't know.

It is. Doesn't mean you throw context out the window.
There's no context required. The observation is they whiffed.

I've moved on from the conversation on predraft and moved to post draft. We can debate until the cows come home why they whiffed. We've already done that.

I never commented or stated all whiffs are the same.

The comment was accurate. No need to vivisect it further.

There's no context required. The observation is they whiffed.

I've moved on from the conversation on predraft and moved to post draft. We can debate until the cows come home why they whiffed. We've already done that.

I never commented or stated all whiffs are the same.

The comment was accurate. No need to vivisect it further.

Love how every comment from you is so binary.

A big part of this that nobody is discussing is the post draft development failure that is completely on the Rangers in my opinion. I am sure they did not figure out in November of 2019(when he was demoted to Hartford) that this was not a high ceiling player. Know there was alot of hype after the draft how NHL ready he was, but they had to know after sometime between the 1st prospect camp and Traverse City in 2017 that Andersson genuinely needed work, and should probably have been slow rolled a little bit; that means toning down the hype/expectations and putting him in a position to succeed whether that was playinmg in the SEL or Hartford.

Expecting low ceiling player to make the NHL club at 18 or 19 years old seems like a recipe for failure in hindsight. Jesper Fast whom I think is a fair comparable did not play in the NHL until he was 23 years old.

A big part of this that nobody is discussing is the post draft development failure that is completely on the Rangers in my opinion. I am sure they did not figure out in November of 2019(when he was demoted to Hartford) that this was not a high ceiling player. Know there was alot of hype after the draft how NHL ready he was, but they had to know after sometime between the 1st prospect camp and Traverse City in 2017 that Andersson genuinely needed work, and should probably have been slow rolled a little bit; that means toning down the hype/expectations and putting him in a position to succeed whether that was playinmg in the SEL or Hartford.

Expecting low ceiling player to make the NHL club at 18 or 19 years old seems like a recipe for failure in hindsight. Jesper Fast whom I think is a fair comparable did not play in the NHL until he was 23 years old.

Agreed. They wanna do this rebuild ?on the fly? so they?re forcing things at times. Kakko would be the latest example of that but at least there?s some precedent as to why he was kept here.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Dunno what it is about the Rangers but they suck in the first round. Thankfully they?re better in the later rounds.

Wouldnt say they suck in the 1st round, more like early 1st round. Skjei, JT Miller and Kreids was good picks. And in recent years Chytil, Miller and Lundkvist looks like really good picks.

If Im not forgetting someone, I think Mcilrath and Lias (still a little early) that was bad 1st round picks the last 10 years. Thats not bad.

Having a hard time reconciling the first sentence with the rest of the post.

My comment was they whiffed. You call that binary in the first sentence.

Then you go on to say post draft they had to have seen he had a low ceiling, and then compare him to Fast who was a 6th rounder.

But we took him 7th overall, would that not make the pick a whiff?

Maybe you could unpack that a little bit.

Looking back at 2010 thru the Anderson draft, there busts in the top 10 of each draft, a couple of those drafts have 2 or even 3.. Gorton & staff whiffing on Anderson is neither unique or unprecedented. It really sucks, but it happens- often.

GM's whiff on picks, in other news water is wet.

I still can't believe they took this guy 7th. It's almost like a Jamie Lundmark/Manny Malhotra type of nightmare.

Malhotra had a long and decent career as a 3rd line/defense first forward, albeit not one that gets you in the HoF. Lundmark, well...

Malhotra had a long and decent career as a 3rd line/defense first forward, albeit not one that gets you in the HoF. Lundmark, well...

Shit...if you can guarantee me Malhotra like production at this point for Andersson, I'd be tripping over myself to sign it.