• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Johnston: Rangers Have Shown "Persistent Interest" on Puljuj?rvi

Morphinity 2.0

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puljujarvi needs to be with skilled players. His biggest complaint in Edmonton was not being put in the top 6.

That's the same issue he will face in NY.

1. We don?t know that.

2. They probably wouldn?t even bring him over right away, which is fine.

3. You keep referencing his NHL play when it?s been established that that isn?t really fair given the circumstances.

I don?t know how many Edmonton games you?ve watched over the time he?s been there, but my guess is it?s under 20. I don?t really understand how you can have such a concrete idea of who he is or his failures as a player.

1. We don’t know that.

2. They probably wouldn’t even bring him over right away, which is fine.

3. You keep referencing his NHL play when it’s been established that that isn’t really fair given the circumstances.

I don’t know how many Edmonton games you’ve watched over the time he’s been there, but my guess is it’s under 20. I don’t really understand how you can have such a concrete idea of who he is or his failures as a player.

no, I watched a lot.

Did a lot of research over the summer after rangers got the #2 pick in hopes to add another Finn

Again, more the fit than then player. He's not a top line guy, but maybe a 2nd liner around 25-25. And earlier today I mentioned a Kreider replacement is the off-season issue. Again, right now, wrong fit... Unless something changes

no, I watched a lot.

Did a lot of research over the summer after rangers got the #2 pick in hopes to add another Finn

Again, more the fit than then player. He's not a top line guy, but maybe a 2nd liner around 25-25. And earlier today I mentioned a Kreider replacement is the off-season issue. Again, right now, wrong fit... Unless something changes

We will have to agree to disagree. I don?t think there?s nearly enough data to make that conclusion.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is.

do you have kids?

Ever watch your kid, acting fine, but you know there's something up? Maybe the kid has to pee, scared, trying to.impress, etc,? Others don't notice but you do.

That's how I see hockey. I can see if a guy is off, over thinking, over gripping the stick, not mentally into it, etc

Edmonton is a black hole of an organization on many levels that has, with a few exceptions, consistently failed to develop top tier amateur talent to its full potential. That includes some instances where it’s been downright disastrous and they’ve absolutely whiffed on a number of high picks.

Add in quite a number of trades and free agent signings that have been head scratching, embarrassingly bad, and it’s simply not a place where anyone should expect young talent to do well.

For those reasons, they should absolutely take a flyer on Puljuj?rvi if he comes relatively cheap.

But optimism should be tempered. It’s great that he’s playing well in Finland and that’s encouraging, but it’s not as if he’s doing it over here.

And the fact that he had double hip surgery 8 months ago at age 20, even with a full recovery, has to cause some concern.

Anyone know about what the ask might be on him?

If the price was cheap, the trade would have been made already

No kidding.

If Edmonton is looking for a “we drafted this kid 4th overall 4 years ago and he’s a top-5 talent” type of return, they’re nuts.

Not only has he done nothing in the NHL, despite his talent and potential, but they’re not exactly dealing from a position of strength with any potential partner

Watch them beat this dog with a shovel instead of putting it down with one bullet

Milan Lucic had been his most common even strength linemate during two seasons in Edmonton, playing 674 minutes with Puljujarvi. I guess that wasn't the best NHL player to help the young Finn getting confidence. He has the tools but he didn't used them.

According to Friedman/rumours, Edmonton already received three trade offers from contending teams: Tampa Bay (Alexander Volkov), St. Louis (Klim Kostin) and Carolina (Julien Gauthier).

I wonder if Edmonton could be interested in one of our goalie prospects.

Milan Lucic had been his most common even strength linemate during two seasons in Edmonton, playing 674 minutes with Puljujarvi. I guess that wasn't the best NHL player to help the young Finn getting confidence. He has the tools but he didn't used them.

According to Friedman/rumours, Edmonton already received three trade offers from contending teams: Tampa Bay (Alexander Volkov), St. Louis (Klim Kostin) and Carolina (Julien Gauthier).

If that's the level we're talking, we should pull the trigger.

If that's the level we're talking, we should pull the trigger.

Those are all fair offers for him and probably about the level of return that Edmonton should expect as a return for Puljujarvi. That might even be a little on the high side, given that it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t want to be there and isn’t likely to patch things up and return to them

Do you think Quinn would throw him into the top 6 on a line with Panarin? I don't.

I think he's got one a team going through a rebuild. I mean shit. Quinn put Brett Howden in the top 6. I think the Rangers have a good idea of what the situation is and requires. I don't think they'd be pursuing the kid if they weren't planning on giving him a fair shot.

I can understand some people being skeptical considering some of Quinn's decisions; but if the past 5 games are any indication, they are doing certain things right.

I think he's got one a team going through a rebuild. I mean shit. Quinn put Brett Howden in the top 6. I think the Rangers have a good idea of what the situation is and requires. I don't think they'd be pursuing the kid if they weren't planning on giving him a fair shot.

Quinn is playing guys like Howden and Fast in the top-6 because he likes the effort they put forth and he’s trying to really hammer home that point, especially with the younger guys. That’s the biggest reason, it not the only reason. He’s well aware of the fact that neither of those guys legitimately possess the skill set of a guy you’d want up there in those roles and playing those minutes.

Quinn is playing guys like Howden and Fast in the top-6 because he likes the effort they put forth and he’s trying to really hammer home that point, especially with the younger guys. That’s the biggest reason, it not the only reason. He’s well aware of the fact that neither of those guys legitimately possess the skill set of a guy you’d want up there in those roles and playing those minutes.

I'm aware. Just making a point that this team's lines (let alone the top 6) aren't set in stone. The coaching staff is trying to find what works.

I can understand some people being skeptical considering some of Quinn's decisions; but if the past 5 games are any indication, they are doing certain things right.

Can someone explain which bad decisions we're talking about? Last year he got career years out of Kreider, Zibanejad, and Hayes while helping resurrect Strome's career and breaking in three rookie centers on an otherwise dogshit hockey team. This year, through 11 games he has the youngest team in the NHL and 3 players pacing at a PPG. He's benched Staal in favor of Lindgren and started Georgiev over Hank. You're telling me if Jesse Puljujarvi came here a proved he was worthy of top 6 minutes he wouldn't get them?

Will he be "gifted" top 6 minutes? No. But is that what you want?

I'm aware. Just making a point that this team's lines (let alone the top 6) aren't set in stone. The coaching staff is trying to find what works.

I know. Lol

I didn’t figure that you were missing that.

At some point Quinn will need to stop juggling, leave guys together, let them play for while and see what chemistry develops.

Edmonton needs now players. Part of me wonders if they wouldn't consider Andersson, if not favor him. Their bottom-six is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not saying that you’re advocating that deal, but I don’t know that I’d do Andersson for Puljujarvi. Rather keep the homegrown guy that has taken a step forward that trade him for a guy who hasn’t shown much in NHL

Andersson is more of a now player than draft picks. The free agents (Strome, Fast) are a tough sell if you can't keep them. Edmonton needs players with some level of built-in control if they're giving up a 21-year-old with the same.

I'd sooner do that (Andersson) than whatever combinations for someone like Kreider, who I see as arguably the best rental on the market this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

To clarify, are you saying you’d rather do Andersson for Puljujarvi than Kreider for what?

Not sure exactly what you mean.

I don’t think you’re suggesting Puljujarvi for Kreider.