• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kaapo Kakko: "There's no fun in my game right now"

Morphinity 2.0

Last night for a few seconds on the PP, Kakko looked like he was running the left point...and he looked REALLY good there! I can totally see him QB'ing the PP from the point at some juncture of this season. That would be some hell of a PP:

Zib, Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, and "Stone hands" (Kreider)

He was playing in the spot that Panarin plays on PP1.

Really, he was only on that side b/c he and ADA were flipped, for whatever reason. Kakko isn't a good enough shooter, I don't think, to score from outside of 10-15 feet without being on a one-timer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was playing in the spot that Panarin plays on PP1.

Really, he was only on that side b/c he and ADA were flipped, for whatever reason. Kakko isn't a good enough shooter, I don't think, to score from outside of 10-15 feet without being on a one-timer

I'm not sure if he has a cannon like Trouba, or Panarin, but he sure had some space to move the puck pretty well. I dunno, something I just caught through my foggy goggles last night, Future! ;)

I'm not sure if he has a cannon like Trouba, or Panarin, but he sure had some space to move the puck pretty well. I dunno, something I just caught through my foggy goggles last night, Future! ;)

Yea, I saw it too. And he was good in possession there.

But I don't think he's got a spot on the left side, long term.

Yea, I saw it too. And he was good in possession there.

But I don't think he's got a spot on the left side, long term.

You're right, man. The kid has all the tools, and it just KILLS me to see him play with a lackluster Kreider. I hate to see him get down on himself, and I think a stint with Panarin would do him some good....we'll see.

You're right, man. The kid has all the tools, and it just KILLS me to see him play with a lackluster Kreider. I hate to see him get down on himself, and I think a stint with Panarin would do him some good....we'll see.

Honestly I don't think it matters who Kakko is playing with, because he hasn't at all embraced the physicality or competitiveness of the NHL. He's good on the PP b/c there's so much time and space, but he doesn't understand that you have to battle for pucks everywhere. If he played with the same approach as Lemieux, he'd be carrying his own line.

This goes back to my point about his expectations - I don't think anyone (until probably Quinn) has made it clear to him about how different the NHL is from fucking Liga. Until he learns what that means, it doesn't matter where he is in the lineup.

Honestly I don't think it matters who Kakko is playing with, because he hasn't at all embraced the physicality or competitiveness of the NHL. He's good on the PP b/c there's so much time and space, but he doesn't understand that you have to battle for pucks everywhere. If he played with the same approach as Lemieux, he'd be carrying his own line.

This goes back to my point about his expectations - I don't think anyone (until probably Quinn) has made it clear to him about how different the NHL is from fucking Liga. Until he learns what that means, it doesn't matter where he is in the lineup.

Nailed it. He's a kid but damn his highlight reel goal against the scrubs in Traverse City setoff all kinds of expectations, unlimited jersey sales etc. His start has been more of a kick in the balls as a result. Hopefully he grows into a dominant force but he's far far from it. Can he get there? Hopefully but he's gotta a lot of work ahead of him. Hard not to be disappointed with what he's shown so far. Mix in he'll have to overcome Quinn's sometimes moronic lines and it could be a lot longer that we had hoped.

I gotta tell ya, I think you have a good point! His compete level on the boards is lacking. Quinn also made that a point in the post game against Vancouver. It's been an issue for a bunch of them, including Kakko. I'm pro-Quinn, even though I may not see eye to eye on some of his decisions from time to time. The thing is, I'm sure Quinn, Gorton and JD are all on the same page and this type of play has to be remedied quickly...and permanently.

It's going to be a trying year, and I kinda expected that this season. I am very confident that we will see progress though, Future.

It's really hard not to fall into that "Instant Gratification" fan syndrome, where all that glitters is gold...it's gonna take time but we'll get there...and this kid is going to be "The Man"....or at least one of them!

Rookies usually start the season with their hair on fire and then eventually come back to Earth when teams get in mid-season form. KK and Jizzmaster or whatever his nickname is are not following that script. Maybe too much pressure going 1-2 to 2 big rivals, who knows ?

Last night for a few seconds on the PP, Kakko looked like he was running the left point...and he looked REALLY good there! I can totally see him QB'ing the PP from the point at some juncture of this season. That would be some hell of a PP:

Zib, Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, and "Stone hands" (Kreider)

With Trouba, DeAngelo, and Fox here to be PP QB's, I don't really want Kakko back there.

That or until he gets laid out from a big hit or completely embarrassed by being constantly knocked off the puck, which I don't think has happened yet. Not glaringly bad at least..

Rookies usually start the season with their hair on fire and then eventually come back to Earth when teams get in mid-season form. KK and Jizzmaster or whatever his nickname is are not following that script. Maybe too much pressure going 1-2 to 2 big rivals, who knows ?

Who exactly is Jizzmaster? Did I miss something?