• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

Here's a question for ya while we are talking about Kakko. This offseason, whoever wins 1st overall. Do you offer them Kakko straight up for that pick? Think it would even be accepted?

Not a chance

No and no. Not even worth offering because it would get rejected before you could get the words out.

Lafreniere is a higher class prospect than Hughes or Kakko was last year. More "can't miss".

Nope.

Although I do like the idea of the rangers packaging their two first rounders and moving up to the top 10 or ideally top 5

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No one trades picks that high. And they shouldn’t unless they’re absolutely fleecing a team.

We couldn’t jump 2 spots with Vancouver from 7 to 5 in 2017.

And for reasons mentioned, whoever gets the right to pick LaFreniere is taking him.

He has generational talent label. Hughes and Kakko don’t quite have that.

Though I would have no issue with the Rangers taking their 2 1sts and maybe a prospect to move into the top-10.

It’s almost impossible to move into the top-5.

It’s happened something like only 8 times since 2004.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one trades picks that high. And they shouldn?t unless they?re absolutely fleecing a team.

We couldn?t jump 2 spots with Vancouver from 7 to 5 in 2017.

And for reasons mentioned, whoever gets the right to pick LaFreniere is taking him.

He has generational talent label. Hughes and Kakko don?t quite have that.

Though I would have no issue with the Rangers taking their 2 1sts and maybe a prospect to move into the top-10.

It?s almost impossible to move into the top-5.

It?s happened something like only 8 times since 2004.

To be fair, 8 times in 16 years isnt really ?almost impossible?. That would mean it happens once every other year, so could easily happen this year.

I see the point tho, and especially this year, I dont see anyone trading a top 5 pick.

We will probably have two picks in the early 20?s. Its a deep draft with a lot of talent, I hope we just use both picks honestly.

To be fair, 8 times in 16 years isnt really ?almost impossible?. That would mean it happens once every other year, so could easily happen this year.

I see the point tho, and especially this year, I dont see anyone trading a top 5 pick.

We will probably have two picks in the early 20’s. Its a deep draft with a lot of talent, I hope we just use both picks honestly.

True that

It might actually be less frequent than that. I have to double check the history on it.

I do know for sure that in none of those 8 trades, no pick higher than 5 has moved.

We will probably have two picks in the early 20’s. Its a deep draft with a lot of talent, I hope we just use both picks honestly.

Double checked

It is 8 trades since lockout.

But into top-10.

I misspoke.

Only one top-5 pick has changed hands since lockout.

Leafs traded 7, plus a 2nd and a 3rd to Isles for 5 and picked Schenn.

• Like 1

I legitimately wonder if 14 and 19 get you #5, just as an example.

Based on what I’ve read, I sincerely doubt it.

A pick in the top 3-9 in this year’s draft is about as can’t miss as they come. They all project as bonafide 1st line talents. That’s what makes this draft class special. Are you really going to trade the opportunity to draft a Holtz, Rossi, Stutzle or Perfetti for what is, comparatively, two kicks at the can? I mean, there’s upside there if you hit both picks out of the park, but data suggests that is extremely unlikely. It would be a borderline irresponsible decision for a GM imo, and I think trading up to the top 10 this year is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Based on what I’ve read, I sincerely doubt it.

A pick in the top 3-9 in this year’s draft is about as can’t miss as they come. They all project as bonafide 1st line talents. That’s what makes this draft class special. Are you really going to trade the opportunity to draft a Holtz, Rossi, Stutzle or Perfetti for what is, comparatively, two kicks at the can? I mean, there’s upside there if you hit both picks out of the park, but data suggests that is extremely unlikely. It would be a borderline irresponsible decision for a GM imo, and I think trading up to the top 10 this year is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Possibly true. However, it's very rare to be offered two kicks at the can in the top 20 instead of one, even if you're trading down from the more "sure" spots.

Could be moot. We could win the lottery again.

Possibly true. However, it's very rare to be offered two kicks at the can in the top 20 instead of one, even if you're trading down from the more "sure" spots.

Could be moot. We could win the lottery again.

Could you imagine the bitching from the non-Rangers fans if this happened? "The fix is in!!"

Even with how strong the top 20 is, I doubt a team is going to pass up a chance on someone like Raymond, St?tzle, Perfetti, etc. in that spot.

If the Rangers end up with two picks in the 11-20 range I'm content with picking guys like Holloway and Mysak. Get some more speed up front.

I legitimately wonder if 14 and 19 get you #5, just as an example.

I dont think that comes close, even in the 2017 draft.

2019:

14 + 45 got 11

29 + 76 = 25

26 + 48 = 22

28 + 87 = 26

12 + 80 = 11

most teams are only moving up a few spots. The tiers are pretty rigid in this draft. 14 + 19 might get down to 9. But I dont see another team pulling the trigger until its pick time.

It's pretty unavoidable, Sharpy. I really don't wanna see another buyout....especially in the last year of a deal. They're gonna need Hank next season anyway, because I have a feeling they're going to move Georgie on Draft day. I know, it's not the best case scenario, but Hank's not going anywhere until that contract is kaput!

We have a lot more than Hank to worry about for next season's cap;

We have Staal's last year

Brendan Smith's last year

Shatty's 6.43 million buyout

Girardi's 1.1 million still

add Hank's last year in there and it's a fucking mess. :doh:

The best thing we did this season is unload Skjei's contract to make some room to possibly re-sign guys like Lemeiux, Strome, and Tony DeAngelo. I'm not certain as to what's up with Fast, but he's in that UFA class as well.

Yeah, it's going to be one more year of crappy finances before I feel they can really move forward with some big moves to take that next step. I just really don't want Lundqvist on the team anymore. His skills are deteriorating badly, his mind is just not with the team anymore and they only play him because they absolutely have to now. He needs a change of scenery in the worst way. Georgiev being a casualty of that bothers me.