• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Should Not Trade Kevin Hayes

Phil

That's the problem isn't it. His performance this season is driving the price of re-signing him up, whilst it isn't really helping the Rangers getting "a haul" for him as he's a rental. The haul is going to be limited to a 1st and a prospect or two. His performances might secure you a slightly better prospect but that's about it.

So that's the headscratcher for Gorton and co. Do you re-sign the guy at a high cost, worrying he may never repeat this kind of performance, or do you trade him for an ok but most likely not great haul? It isn't a straight forward decision at all.

and the 1st is likely in the high 20's. Colorado isn't gonna trade Ottawa's pick.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes, I was! :slats: ...but the main point still stands... They scored 65 and allowed 68. The O gets the lead and the D can't hold it.

Karlsson will cost a lot more $$$ than Hayes.

I think they blow leads because they lay back, stop pressuring and sit back. That's when we need a couple top-tier players to continue to push the pace, push the team to keep going. Control the puck, control the play.

We are screwed on D for this season plus 2 more until those contracts come off. By that time, you have everyone else on the team getting new deals, and we have no idea where they will be at at that time.

We are at a crossroads of where this franchise is headed for the next 8 seasons. As much as I like Hayes, not sure I can commit big money over a lengthy contract for that.

I think they blow leads because they lay back, stop pressuring and sit back. That's when we need a couple top-tier players to continue to push the pace, push the team to keep going. Control the puck, control the play.

We are screwed on D for this season plus 2 more until those contracts come off. By that time, you have everyone else on the team getting new deals, and we have no idea where they will be at at that time.

We are at a crossroads of where this franchise is headed for the next 8 seasons. As much as I like Hayes, not sure I can commit big money over a lengthy contract for that.

I don't think so. Trade one, buy one out. The money isn't an issue.

The only young player deal that looks expensive right now is Chytil. Kravtsov's ELC won't be over until 2022. Money isn't an issue.

Resign Hayes this year. Bridge Buch. You wan't top tier players not middle 6 guys. Next year trade Vlad, and/or Strome, and/or Vesey, TRADE FAST. Those are the resignings that will get you in trouble. Giving $3-3.5M to Fast is way worse than $7 to Hayes.

Not sure you will get someone willing to take Staal, Shattenkirk or Smith without taking the same salary back, or giving up assets to dump them.

I hate guy outs. I'd rather play the guy than have dead cap space for additional years.

Agree with the third point, for the most part. Just don't see Hayes as a $7m guy. or a $6m guy. Unless youve done what Henrik has done, I dont care who you are - I dont want to overpay. Especially not 2nd & 3rd liners. Overpaying Fast or Hayes by $2m per, same to me.

Not sure you will get someone willing to take Staal, Shattenkirk or Smith without taking the same salary back, or giving up assets to dump them.

I hate guy outs. I'd rather play the guy than have dead cap space for additional years.

Agree with the third point, for the most part. Just don't see Hayes as a $7m guy. or a $6m guy. Unless youve done what Henrik has done, I dont care who you are - I dont want to overpay. Especially not 2nd & 3rd liners. Overpaying Fast or Hayes by $2m per, same to me.

But again, we have plenty of cap flexibility. We want them gone simply to create an opening for a youngster on an ELC. Weather you trade one 50% retained or have at most $1.4M for 2 dead years (from Shatty), you're allowing kids to gain experience, saving money, and the dead money is off the books before it matters.

Rangers are going nowhere with this defensive corps. By the time its fixed Hayes will be on the backend of whatever contract he gets. Trade him and acquire the assets. Keep accelerating the rebuild by trading him. Don't get wet feet over Kevin Hayes after ripping the team apart last season.

This.

(PS I think you mean "cold" feet lol but I might just adapt wet as my own.)

Rangers are going nowhere with this defensive corps. By the time its fixed Hayes will be on the backend of whatever contract he gets. Trade him and acquire the assets. Keep accelerating the rebuild by trading him. Don't get cold feet over Kevin Hayes after ripping the team apart last season.

It?s a hard swallow, this^, but is correct IMO. Hayes has become an ?eye test? player this season. He looks fantastic. Why? Is it because he?s really all that great? Is it because he?s playing for a big payday? Is it because what?s around him doesn?t pass the same eye test?

I?m not exactly sure which is the better answer but I agree that we shouldn?t be lulled into a RE-sign because of a quarter to half-season if games THIS year. How many of us would have been clamoring to re-sign him last year when he displayed that ?ooofish? look while appearing slow and disinterested?

I?m gonna? close my eyes and pray that the trade for Hayes is a better business proposition and will yield a greater long-term return than keeping him. Push that eject button, Gorton.

It’s a hard swallow, this^, but is correct IMO. Hayes has become an ‘eye test’ player this season. He looks fantastic. Why? Is it because he’s really all that great? Is it because he’s playing for a big payday? Is it because what’s around him doesn’t pass the same eye test?

I’m not exactly sure which is the better answer but I agree that we shouldn’t be lulled into a RE-sign because of a quarter to half-season if games THIS year. How many of us would have been clamoring to re-sign him last year when he displayed that ‘ooofish’ look while appearing slow and disinterested?

I’m gonna’ close my eyes and pray that the trade for Hayes is a better business proposition and will yield a greater long-term return than keeping him. Push that eject button, Gorton.

I'll add here that I dont think that what we are seeing from Hayes is a fluke. I have a suspicion that what you see this year is what you can expect the next few years. He has the size and strength to be a good puck possession player with little effort. Just don't know what good that does for the Rangers with a blueline in shambles and like 20-22 million invested into Staal, Smith, Shatty, Skjei. Its not good.

Some people just want the team to suck for a decade, what can ya do?

I’m not sold on Zib-Hayes 1-2.

The 2 years we’ve had that combo, well...

I’d much rather be wronged when they re-sign Hayes than resigning Zucc or overpaying Vesey and Fast

Archived