• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#30) Rangers at Tampa Bay Lightning // Hello Darkness, Our Old Friends

Phil

What I mean is, if Tampa is the gold standard for what a contender looks like (they are), the Rangers are roughly six defenders, one franchise forward, and two high-scoring top-six forwards away from being even remotely close to their template. That's what, four, five years of work?
What's the free agent market look like next year, oh boy...our rookies have to hit on all cylinders like Tampa's also. Everything will have to go right and we'll still fuck it up.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I mean is, if Tampa is the gold standard for what a contender looks like (they are), the Rangers are roughly six defenders, one franchise forward, and two high-scoring top-six forwards away from being even remotely close to their template. That's what, four, five years of work?

Rangers build that once every 100 years

Tampa isn't built like perennial losers in Edmonton, Buffalo, etc.

Their true separation is in their later rounders that they got extremely lucky on. Kucherov, Point, Cirrelli.

Where they picked Kucherov and Point, we picked Stepan and Nieves. Not necessarily the same level, but still.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Tampa isn't built like perennial losers in Edmonton, Buffalo, etc.

Their true separation is in their later rounders that they got extremely lucky on. Kucherov, Point, Cirrelli.

They've pulled off the right trades, and free agent signings, too.

A little bit of both.

Rangers have been extremely unlucky - even when they do draft top talent.

Probably a little of both.

My point is that drafting Hughes solves very little other than pointing to a shiny new 160 lbs toy.

What Tampa does well is identify bad picks, pump the tires, and trade them away.

We'll have Lias as our 35 point fringe 3rd line captain in 5 years.

What Tampa does well is identify bad picks, pump the tires, and trade them away.

That's true, Rangers have to be prepared to move on from guys like that early if necessary.

Yeah, they've walked away from two first-rounders in the last like ten years in Connolly and DeAngelo and didn't even bat an eyelash. Connolly was like 5OA, too.

They get a guy like Cernak through smart trading and we get... Ryan Lindgren.

Just as I'm prepared to never trade with Yzerman again, I think we should probably keep Gorton away from Boston as well. He doesn't get fleeced, but he sure seems to fall in love with mediocre players.

Archived