• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#27) Rangers at Montreal Canadiens // Quelque Chose Fran?ais

High and Wide

I feel like they’ve been skating this period, but they’re scrambling and chasing. No system , no control. Wasted movement

Guys are trying, but everyone trying to play too safe.

Team lacks game breakers. No stars. Just a bunch of middle 6 players, and AHLers. And they are playing like it right now

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So this is what it looks like when advanced stats tell you you've been pretty lucky and things start to normalize.

I don't think you needed advanced stats to tell you what this season was going to look like. They don't have a single above average player, outside of the goaltender.

9 ROW is good enough to be tied for 2nd to last in the league. Honestly, I'm glad they've come back to earth. It just helps keep the plan intact.

Del Zotto is exactly who he is. Fake you out with the rookie season, then wham...back to earth last year and this year.

No, prior to his NHL experience, he was a modern day Stralman. His inaugural season with the Ranger saw him put up points, and he’s been trying to do that since. That first season production was a bonus, not the norm. He’s abandoned his game to try to chase what isn’t him. Similar to Dubinsky trying to be Datsyuk after playing with Jagr.

He’s the exact opposite of Del Zotto. But he tries to be Del zotto.

Not really. Del Zotto was always more of a pass first offensive dman. Skjei is more of an end to end puck carrier.

Completely different style of player, but entirely the same regression off of a strong rookie season. BTW, Skjei's regression is more than just about offense and point totals. He showed signs of being a solid defensive dman as well. I would say he has regressed far more defensively than offensively, but he's regressed largely in both ends.

When skeij was a rookie he had no expectations and his skating and potential excited people. His game just hasn?t gotten better and now he carries a big contract and first pair expectations.

Same will hold true for the rookies we have now. Howden and chytil have impressed. In reality though they impress because of visions of what they might become. If two years from now they impact theq game the same as today they will be disappointing as well

Back to reality, folks. Embrace it.

Sell. Build through the draft. Create something to be proud of.

Yup. Things are starting to normalise and we?re beginning to see what was expected prior to the season starting.

It?s a good thing. Luckily the parity of the league means that a high lottery pick is still very much up for grabs. That?s obviously true in terms of playoffs as well, but I really don?t see this team as a playoff team when it?s all said and done.

Skjei and DZ are completely different animals, I don't think they're comparable on anything more than a general "They're both D Men" level.

D'Angelo is similar to DZ, Skjei is more like a Jack Johnson type who can't pick a direction, lacks identity and never seems to be the sum of his parts.

Ranger management really wanted to believe he was something because it's all so obvious on the surface. Skjei was effective when he was just trying to fit in and survive, from the moment there were expectations he's been a trainwreck.

DZ has survived (good for him) in this league as a late option on losing hockey clubs, we got something back for him, a decent player even, with Skjei it's possible we're going to have to watch this play out until the final, inevitably disappointing conclusion.

He wasn’t comparing DZ and Skjei as far as style of play but how they both looked like promising players their rookie years and completely shit the bed since.

Yeah, but that would require me reading through everything to find out and I'm just not willing to do that.

Skjei and DZ are completely different animals, I don't think they're comparable on anything more than a general "They're both D Men" level.

D'Angelo is similar to DZ, Skjei is more like a Jack Johnson type who can't pick a direction, lacks identity and never seems to be the sum of his parts.

Ranger management really wanted to believe he was something because it's all so obvious on the surface. Skjei was effective when he was just trying to fit in and survive, from the moment there were expectations he's been a trainwreck.

DZ has survived (good for him) in this league as a late option on losing hockey clubs, we got something back for him, a decent player even, with Skjei it's possible we're going to have to watch this play out until the final, inevitably disappointing conclusion.

JJ is a good comparable. He should forget offense and just work on his D game. If offense appears, so be it.

100% agree. If there were ever a candidate that would benefit from a complete dedication to the basics I think Skjei is it. They need to tear him down and build him back up. If it's the same deal come February I'd go so far as sending him down to cement that message.

Jay's did this with Halladay, just broke him and built him back up to a God. Not the same thing obviously, but same philosophy.

100% agree. If there were ever a candidate that would benefit from a complete dedication to the basics I think Skjei is it.

Not a bad idea, he needs a reboot and maybe it needs to happen on a more fundamental level. Take a step back in order to take two forward. He could and should be much better then Del Zotto, on size and backward skating alone. He also demonstrated a defensive aptitude and good gap control, up until last year.

Last night was possibly his worst performance. What was so alarming was the mental mistakes he made. He made not one, but two mental mistakes that resulted in the goal at the end of the period. Then in his infinite wisdom, he thought he could make it up to start the 2nd by pressing the O desperately, leading to an ill-advised pinch and getting caught deep, as they scored again.

I'm not sure the coach paid too much attention to Skjei as a project, the way he has with the kids, Vesey, Hayes, Names, ADA, etc. There was so much Quinn had to do, especially with the blueline, that he may thought Skjei was the least of the issues, regarding individual fundamentals. Maybe now is the time for Quinn and the other coaches to take a more activist role in the fundamentals of his game.

100% agree. If there were ever a candidate that would benefit from a complete dedication to the basics I think Skjei is it. They need to tear him down and build him back up. If it's the same deal come February I'd go so far as sending him down to cement that message.

Jay's did this with Halladay, just broke him and built him back up to a God. Not the same thing obviously, but same philosophy.

It's worth a shot but clearly it didn't do a damn thing for Smith, the guys hockey IQ is still several feet below the whale shit level. I would be fine if we got a bag of pucks for his sorry ass at this point. What a bust.

Yeah, I haven't noticed a single change in Smith's ability, he got a temporary pass based on some feel good articles on him at start of training camp, but he's still terrible.

I understand their wanting to conjur some value up in that contract to move him next year but that looks pretty optimistic at this point.

Archived