• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kevin Hayes is More to Rangers Than a Potential Trade Chip

Phil

I didn't call him selfish. Words matter.

I know you didn't. I was using that as an example of why I wanted to be precise with words. I was saying that I wouldn't call him a selfish player (just an abritrary example) if I really thought the best reason for not keeping him was everything else I wrote.

So, in your case, I wouldn't call Hayes "overpaid" if the real reason I didn't want him is because I think he's a redundancy and I'm wary of his work ethic if he doesn't have a contract to play for. I'd just say the latter.

Make sense?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know you didn't. I was using that as an example of why I wanted to be precise with words. I was saying that I wouldn't call him a selfish player (just an abritrary example) if I really thought the best reason for not keeping him was everything else I wrote.

So, in your case, I wouldn't call Hayes "overpaid" if the real reason I didn't want him is because I think he's a redundancy and I'm wary of his work ethic if he doesn't have a contract to play for. I'd just say the latter.

Make sense?

Gotcha.

I guess my point is that I think he's going to be overpaid at 6x6 for the 45 points I think we're gonna get from him. I'm bolding as an acknowledgment that it's just my opinion and feelings on the matter.

It's pretty well confirmed that they weren't getting along. Kypreos said something along the lines of Babcock "lost" Matthews and Friedman reported that they needed to "air things out" over the summer after Matthews got benched in Game 7 against Boston.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-playoffs-2018-toronto-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-auston-matthews-trust-issues-first-round-boston-bruins-game-7/tz6zuglbdt1l1lchom7ascoc7

https://editorinleaf.com/2018/07/08/toronto-maple-leafs-marner-babcock-2/

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/leafs-coach-mike-babcock-to-meet-auston-matthews-in-arizona-to-mend-fences-report

Who knows what is or isn't true, but there's something there. Combine it with the inevitable massive Matthews extension and TOR's cap troubles, and it makes sense that people teams would be sniffing around. Plus, TOR is, what, 7-3 without him? It's possible that they think they'd rather have Kadri, Kapanen and 4 first-round picks if someone gave Matthews an offer sheet.

Needs to be traded. I'm glad he's playing well this year but that does not change what's happening here. This team, as currently constructed, is NOT a contender. Repeat: NOT a contender. The idea is to build one and we can't suddenly stop that because we like one or two players now.

Hayes

Zuccarello

Kreider

Hank

Fast

Namestnikov

These players should all be looked at, the top two absolutely have to be moved. It's that simple.

Brooks was all aboard the rebuild train -- you don't flip sides once a player starts playing up to their potential. If anything, Hayes has helped the Rangers, not on the ice, but through trade potential. His stock couldn't be higher. He should get a fairly sizable haul now, where as a season ago he likely would have received a pick.

Because we don't need him. Also because I don't believe an unmotivated Hayes will be worth his contract.

I can totally see Hayes being a lazy ass after he signs a big deal. I don't know what it is in my gut, but I can see him being a "contract we can't wait to unload" in years to come.

I favor the idea we deal him and get some very promising prospects, or high draft pick(s) that fit the equation.

I don't buy the idea that 6x6 is over paying for Hayes, a 26 year old 2C, in the current climate.

I do buy the idea of being worried about what Kevin Hayes might look like on a big long term contract.

If the haul is what Brooks describes I'm not entirely convinced about moving him.

If it's significantly better then I'm interested.

you have to ask the motivation question with Hayes. wasn't it like a year ago that we were complaining he was eating to many hoho's and taco bells.

i'd sell high. the op is right, were not winning the cup this year. go balls deep on the reload, give the youngsters plenty of ice time and stock pile picks and prospects so that if a top tier guy comes into play you have the ammo/cap space to go and get him.

Yes Chytil has looked great

...playing wing

...next to Hayes

honestly I think chytil was gonna look good regardless because he has so much talent. I think everyone agrees Hayes has been playing great but giving him a long term contract after being up and down most of his time here is risky. In the position we are we can sell high and still have depth at center

True. Hayes is gonna fetch a big return. Signing him to a big long term deal is more of a risk. We also have a lot of young depth at center who have already looked good given their age. We really are in a good position

I?m not convinced he fetches a big return as a rental.

Depends on your definition of ?big? I suppose. I certainly won?t be holding my breath for someone to give up the top end of their farm for him.

I’m not convinced he fetches a big return as a rental.

Depends on your definition of “big” I suppose. I certainly won’t be holding my breath for someone to give up the top end of their farm for him.

I mean Nash fetched a big return and he was a declining player. A two way center is gonna gonna get you a pretty nice return. They have been saying Hayes is drawing probably most interest.

Nash fetched Spooner (already traded again), Beleskey (Boston cap dump playing in the minors), Lindgren (long shot to amount to anything of significance), and the #28 OA pick. I'd rather have a 27 year old top 6 center that plays in all situations.

Unless someone is willing to give up their top prospect, I'd rather resign Hayes.

Actually it was the 26 overall pick which turned into K’andre Miller who looks like a steal. Spooner was actually doing well before and after the trade until this season but now we have Strome who looks real good so far. Hayes will get you a bigtime return. I like Hayes but he is gonna ask for a big contract...no thanks

Actually it was the 26 overall pick which turned into K?andre Miller who looks like a steal. Spooner was actually doing well before and after the trade until this season but now we have Strome who looks real good so far. Hayes will get you a bigtime return. I like Hayes but he is gonna ask for a big contract...no thanks

No, it was the 28th, which was traded to move up to take Miller. Who is far and away the most important piece of the trade. Right now, its more quantity than quality.

Archived