• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kevin Hayes is More to Rangers Than a Potential Trade Chip

Phil

I hope they don't feel forced to trade Hayes and instead take the approach that they can trade him down the road, if they choose. Similar to Nylander. Just keep his NTC to a limit of 8-10 teams he can reject.

Hayes won't be that easy to move if they pay him what he could feasibly get on the market as an UFA.

As opposed to Nylander, whose 6.9 isn't scaring anyone if Dubas decides to move him.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hayes won't be that easy to move if they pay him what he could feasibly get on the market as an UFA.

As opposed to Nylander, whose 6.9 isn't scaring anyone if Dubas decides to move him.

Nylander at 6x$6.9 is way more scary to me than Hayes at 5x$6

Nylander at 6x$6.9 is way more scary to me than Hayes at 5x$6

It might scare you but it won’t scare a GM trading for him.

He’ll put up big numbers playing for that team. 6.9 for him in a year or two won’t be prohibitive at all imo.

Hayes at 6+ probably will for quite a few.

Huh? What exactly has Hayes proven? How has he earned 5m let alone 6?

At least Nylander, at 22 mind you, has put up back to back 60 point seasons.

Hayes is one of the better 5v5, two-way centers in the entire league, and plays a two-way game. He scored 25 goals last year. Find me 5 guys in the league who aren't on their ELC who do that and make less than $6m.

What he does playing on Auston Matthews wing isn't representative of what he'd do playing on Mika Zibanejad...or Kevin Hayes...wing.

Hockey fans have a horrible habit at looking in production in one situation and just assuming that it would translate to another. What if Nylander struggles to score 60 in NY because - SHOCKER - the Rangers have exactly 1 player who can shoot the puck. *Gasp

It might scare you but it won’t scare a GM trading for him.

He’ll put up big numbers playing for that team. 6.9 for him in a year or two won’t be prohibitive at all imo.

Hayes at 6+ probably will for quite a few.

Hayes isn't going to deteriorate at 30, because he doesn't depend on athleticism.

He might be the worst athlete in the entire NHL lol

I'd say it's the other way around. If they plan on pursuing one of those guys, they'd want to keep Hayes. It's not like Hayes' contract prohibits them from doing anything.

And, like them or not, none of Chytil, Lias, or Howden have shown any capacity at all to play as a top-6 center. Signing a guy means the rebuild is effectively over, and if that's the case, you don't pair him with Chytil and just hope it works.

You've also got the other side of thinking why would a player want to sign as a UFA on a rebuilder? Losing Hayes and signing Panarin doesn't make you any better positioned to compete in the playoffs and any UFA would be wary of that. Some might not care, but I think most do.

But did you see that in Hayes when he Was19 to 22 years old

Hayes is one of the better 5v5, two-way centers in the entire league, and plays a two-way game. He scored 25 goals last year. Find me 5 guys in the league who aren't on their ELC who do that and make less than $6m.

What he does playing on Auston Matthews wing isn't representative of what he'd do playing on Mika Zibanejad...or Kevin Hayes...wing.

Hockey fans have a horrible habit at looking in production in one situation and just assuming that it would translate to another. What if Nylander struggles to score 60 in NY because - SHOCKER - the Rangers have exactly 1 player who can shoot the puck. *Gasp

Agreed. Nylander minus Matthews is what? Nylander being 22 guarantees nothing.

Agreed. Nylander minus Matthews is what? Nylander being 22 guarantees nothing.

Nylander is a very skilled player. There is a reason he was selected 8 overall.

He was MVP at the world u18, and lead his team to gold and tourney MVP at the world juniors.

He averaged over a point per game in the AHL as a teen. All is this with no Matthews.

He had 61 points as a 20 year old, he hasn?t even come close to his statistical or playing peak yet.

He?s a first line player, Hayes is complimentary at best and is already at his peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nylander is a very skilled player. There is a reason he was selected 8 overall.

He was MVP at the world u18, and lead his team to gold and tourney MVP at the world juniors.

He averaged over a point per game in the AHL as a teen. All is this with no Matthews.

He had 61 points as a 20 year old, he hasn?t even come close to his statistical or playing peak yet.

He?s a first line player, Hayes is complimentary at best and is already at his peak.

And Hayes has 5 goals through 28 games. His ATOI is at 19 minutes and Zib is covering the defensive line pairings. If this is how he looks playing for a contract, how bad will it be when he has one?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And Hayes has 5 goals through 28 games. His ATOI is at 19 minutes and Zib is covering the defensive line pairings. If this is how he looks playing for a contract, how bad will it be when he has one?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And the fact statistically we are seeing the Peak of Hayes in regards to age. We can assume he matures some, perhaps better leader and perhaps defensively next few years. But points wise not many players improve after age 27

Everyone, or almost everyone, could see that 25 goals was an anomaly on a career that has been lackluster offensively. That's why he got a 1 year deal from the Rangers instead of a 6-8 year deal.

Future posted stats the other day, Hayes is near PPG since Zibanejad has been given the defensive assignment against the top lines

I’m on the record saying I don’t want to pay Hayes that much. I like him, but shiiiiitt.

My criticism of Zibanejad was his lack of ES production and lazy/abandoning his defensive game. Quinn has him focusing on defense and he’s producing more at ES than in the past. He’s near a ppg this season even when he’s not scoring on the PP. he’s a great #2c. In that case, you don’t waste money on Hayes.

Archived