• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eye-Opening Attendance Figures at MSG

Sod16

I gave up my seats a few years ago because of the price tag.

It is all about cost/value equation. When 2 tickets, parking, tolls, food and drink runs close to $500 for one night, the average diehard finds his huge HD (DVR for no commercials) a much better value. I don't have to start the game till the daughter is off to bed, can get quality time with the family, cook a good meal, drink great beer/wine, :slats:, watch somehing on Netflix after the game, not drive, etc.

Corporate Board rooms and exec VPs tend to make decisions that take the soul out of the core of a business. Once public, mgmt has a fidouche(y) obligation to shareholders to increase the value of the stock. They are judged quarterly and annually, with little incentive to the longterm health of the business. Maximize shareholder value is the key. The top execs care anout earning enormous salaries and cashing in on their stock options, usually as soon as they can.

Given that incentive structure, it was only a matter of time that the Board/Execs would try to figure out how to wring every last nickel from the customer, while squeezing vendors/suppliers/costs too. Hence there is no after market anymore. The average joe and family who could be the next generation of fans are priced out. Many kids will not get the exposure or love of the game. There are many more affordable ways to entertain yourself or socialize with like minded people.

I could go on, but many of you have cited many of these reasons and then some. This team is fun and exciting, but many of us get just as much enjoyment watching at home. This is from someone who used to love attending numerous games a year in all 4 major sports. Then there is the benefit of what I can do with thousands of dollars saved every year.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to my first game in over 5 years tonight. I got a pretty solid deal on StubHub for tix in 226. I was surprised at how empty the place was in the first. It filled in a little bit it wasn?t like I remembered. Still had a great time and was thrilled to see a much needed win. The TV route has a lot of advantages but it?s nice to get a feel of it live from time to time. It would be nice for it to be cheaper but it?s NYC. What can you really expect? A tall boy bud light is $13.50

I haven't been to a game in 2-3 years, and have zero plans to return. The seats are uncomfortable and cramped. The music and hype is awful. The fans are rude and use the same language that appears here, the commute is horrid via the LIRR as well.

$13.50 for a Bud tall boy is really shoving it in..... I watch in Hi-Def on my TV and could have a nice cold Bud that I payed $0.42 for; $11.00 for 12, with a $6.00 rebate.

giphy.gif

Listening to all of you, it really seems that this discriminatory pricing where seats in the corner in the lower portion of the upper bowl are somehow considered premium is a really big factor. At this point, their business model seems to call for a little less than a sellout, because if you are selling out, you are not charging as much as you could. They should take a lesson from boxing, where extracting the maximum dollar for title fights eventually led to less general fan following.

Speaking of the Winter Classic,

saw an email from NHL.com that they had tixs available for this season's Classic. I guess it has run its course.

ND is a hike from Chicago. If that game isn't in a big city, you are driving for hours to get there and then hours to get back. ND games tend to sell out all the local chain hotels in addition to hiking their price, and this is no different.Sounds like a fun idea but think Soldier Field or Wrigley Field again would have easily sold out.

Msg is one of the worst atmospheres in the league. Meaning there is none. Hands down a half full prudential center has more juice. And that is all about pricing.

Went to the game in Vegas last January, and there was a huge buzz, an event. Some of the Vegas showbiz stuff was over the top, but it was fun. Nothing like that at MSG.

Listening to all of you, it really seems that this discriminatory pricing where seats in the corner in the lower portion of the upper bowl are somehow considered premium is a really big factor. At this point, their business model seems to call for a little less than a sellout, because if you are selling out, you are not charging as much as you could. They should take a lesson from boxing, where extracting the maximum dollar for title fights eventually led to less general fan following.

Slightly OT but IMO a huge part of losing generations of fans is all the games being on pay cable. The NHL should force all teams to air at least 10% of games over the air, like the Yankees do

Went to the game in Vegas last January, and there was a huge buzz, an event. Some of the Vegas showbiz stuff was over the top, but it was fun. Nothing like that at MSG.
I hear you but the idea that half a Prudential center is louder than MSG is purely MSG hate bias.

I hear you but the idea that half a Prudential center is louder than MSG is purely MSG hate bias.

Wow you took that way to literal. Prudential center has a much better atmosphere. When you sell tickets for $20 that will happen. Look around the league. Msg is a morgue. Outside of the t shirt toss the fans could give a shit.

Vegas raised ticket prices on season ticket holders after promising fans that bought early they wouldn't. My brother had season tickets last year, but, they raised them about $400. I have heard reports that they were cancelling people's season tickets for selling them on the secondary market. They are still doing well, but, eventually the prices are gonna drive people away. So, these problems don't seem to be isolated to NYC.

Wow you took that way to literal. Prudential center has a much better atmosphere. When you sell tickets for $20 that will happen. Look around the league. Msg is a morgue. Outside of the t shirt toss the fans could give a shit.
I was the game that eliminated them from the playoffs 2 seasons ago so I completely disagree that MSG is a morgue.

What other arenas do you visit regularly to compare?

I was the game that eliminated them from the playoffs 2 seasons ago so I completely disagree that MSG is a morgue.

What other arenas do you visit regularly to compare?

What?s regularly? I?ve been to plenty of other arenas but not regularly, why would I? I did have ranger season ticket up until this year for 17 years. So I kind do have some basis to compare the atmosphere from 17 years ago to today. You name the playoff game in the past 17 years and I was there too. The atmosphere gets more corporate by the day. Argue the benefits of that all day long they Are there to be made. Maybe that?s good for the bottom line. However to think it hasn?t effected the noise level or interest in the stands is arguing for the sake of arguing.

You see no difference in the Atmosphere at msg to other arenas. I completely disagree and agree to do so. On the not regular basis of having been to the old Nassau( against rangers) prudential( against the rangers), philly ( rangers)Chicago ( against Colorado) Montreal (rangers and Ottawa), Nashville (against the Kong?s) tampa (rangers), Winnipeg(Edmonton) all had better and louder fans. The only two arenas I would say are equal to or worse is Florida and Boston.

What?s regularly? I?ve been to plenty of other arenas but not regularly, why would I? I did have ranger season ticket up until this year for 17 years. So I kind do have some basis to compare the atmosphere from 17 years ago to today. You name the playoff game in the past 17 years and I was there too. The atmosphere gets more corporate by the day. Argue the benefits of that all day long they Are there to be made. Maybe that?s good for the bottom line. However to think it hasn?t effected the noise level or interest in the stands is arguing for the sake of arguing.

You see no difference in the Atmosphere at msg to other arenas. I completely disagree and agree to do so. On the not regular basis of having been to the old Nassau( against rangers) prudential( against the rangers), philly ( rangers)Chicago ( against Colorado) Montreal (rangers and Ottawa), Nashville (against the Kong?s) tampa (rangers), Winnipeg(Edmonton) all had better and louder fans. The only two arenas I would say are equal to or worse is Florida and Boston.

MSG isn't a morgue, is my point.

Talk to teams that play in front of 4k people.

Only other venues for NHL I've been too were

Old Chicago barn: INsaNiTy....pure

New Chicago - Meh

Old Spectrum - Bedlam

New Wells fargo - just bad people (funny that there team is so ice capades now)

Masoleum - only attended Rangers / Isles so always madness.

Jersey.... cough, cough, cough.... Mickey Mouse @thegreatone

You want bedlam? Rangers Bruins at MSG 1970. Air horns and bawdy banners. Lasting memory: huge banner from a Boy Scout troop: "Troop 234 Staten Island Says McKenzie Eats it Raw". I'll also add that Ranger audiences in the mid to late 80s were particularly irreverent after enduring the Islanders dynasty. I think even management understands that a little bit of the traditional Ranger fan edginess needs to be reintroduced. For years they did everything they could to squelch "Potvin Sucks", so I was really surprised when they introduced that promo with the construction worker on the MSG network where he laughs about people yelling Potvin Sucks when they see his helmet with a Rangers emblem. As for the pacification of the Garden, the last time I remember it being really raucous was the 1989 playoff series after Espo fired Bergeron (vendors were marching around yelling "Get your Espo Sucks Beer Here!") It was more placid when they won in 1994 and became plain vanilla quite rapidly after that. Larry Brooks mentioned that he was surprised at how quiet the crowd was in the third period of the cup clinching game. I noticed the same thing, and I didn't make an utterance during that game because I couldn't breath.

The Rangers always sold out in the 1990's. I was a season ticket holder. I was in the Greens; I think it was Section 334. I remember my seats cost about $35/game. I was close to center ice.

Demand fell after they won the Cup but still sold out. Messier and Leetch....and then Gretzky.

Besides, the luxury boxes and the local cable TV contract (MSG) is what really drives the revenue. If the Rangers don't sell out 2,000 tickets per game, that is maybe $5-8 million in lost revenue (depends on which seats; not sure what is cheapest today). The premium seats make up for that...and the luxury boxes.....and the overpriced concessions.

MSG deal is $35 MM a year....2nd only to the Maple Leafs.

Luxury Box is $200,000+ annually Glass seats are $980 each

Lower bowl is stuffed with $350-$600+ seats ...plus the TV contract, sponsorship, merchandise and concession...it all ads up to one heck of a revenue stream.

From my work in media years ago, and going by what friends told me a few years back, I would say the NYR today are close to $250 MM annually in revenue and the annual profit must be $80-$100 MM per year.

The average team probably makes about $20 MM per year in profit.

Clearly, without a salary cap, the NYR and a few other teams would really be able to spend another $20 MM per year quite easily.

Archived