• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Long Before the Rangers Are Contending?

Phil

The Rangers will probably be a good bet for a playoff spot in 2-3 years. That doesn't mean they won't make the playoffs before then or will make it after that time, just talking "a good bet". Contending (top-5 team in the league) in 5-7 years if team development goes reasonably well.

We dont have any.

For the current team I'd say Zibanejad, Buchnevich, MZA, Shattenkirk and Skjei are the top 5 players. You could argue Hayes fits in there somewhere.

For the current team I'd say Zibanejad, Buchnevich, MZA, Shattenkirk and Skjei are the top 5 players. You could argue Hayes fits in there somewhere.

Yeah, an average NHL 2nd line. That's not good.

Hence why we have to wait until some of these guys can play like top players, and the guys that never will will be gone.

Yeah, an average NHL 2nd line. That's not good.

Hence why we have to wait until some of these guys can play like top players, and the guys that never will will be gone.

I forgot Kreider, too. Yeah, the issue with this team up front is that they've got a bunch of players that would be good 2nd and 3rd line NHLers on a contending team. What they lack is probably two forwards who are better than the best of what they have currently. Hopefully that's Chytil and Kravatsov, but that takes a few years.

Then on defense, a similar issue. They've got some good 3/4/5 defenders that would make up a contending team, but lack a standout number 1 and a strong complimentary 2 (could be Skjei). That's why their strategy of taking defenders in this past draft was a good one.

Oh and a lack of an elite goaltender who fits that window. Again, plenty of top prospects in the pipe on that front.

I think looking at Toronto's trajectory might help. Babcock is a great coach and they have a solid front office. They were awful in his first year and got a top draft pick. Two straight years of first round playoff losses. In year 4 with Babcock, they are considered a team that can make a cup run, if you look at the odds.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

So it took Toronto 4 years with a lot of things falling right - top draft pick, lots of talented young players, solid coach and organization.

New York has to resist the urge to get the splashy free agents, shed some aging contributors, and build with young talent. The right way would take at least 3 or 4 years.

The wrong way (with free agent stop gaps and keeping our aging vets) will turn us into a team that can get us bounced in the first round of the playoffs or maybe winning a round, but only with a puncher's chance of making a deep playoff run.

the key is whether this organization is willing to suck for a year or two to rebuild our talent pool with top draft picks. also, whether we are able to do our homework ang get the right players through the draft and savy trades getting young talent.

i have doubts whether this organization has the patience to suck/rebuild, and ignore the lure of free agents that are about to start the declining portion of their career.

Vesey and Hayes should be the first deadline deals.

Can't get a handle on Names. The production isn;t there, so there might not even be a market for the guy. Might be decent end of bench cheap roster filler. As an aside, for a Russian guy, speaks Canadian-accented English like he grew up in Ontario. Any idea how that is?

The Krieds, Zib, buch line looked good through training camp but obviously they will be paired against the top dee and O when the bullets start flying so will be interesting to see how they compete.

I dont think anyone on this board sleeps easy with the blue line we will put out.

I want to see a gritty competitive group that gets better as the season goes on, however i think that's the glass 1/2 full hope.

I have no problem with us as a bottom 5 team just so we can restock the cubbard one more time.

Hanks 36, but a young 36. Given the right workload and structure in front I think he will be fine moving forward.

Archived