• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Watching Preseason to Evaluate Talent: Who Stands Out?

Giacomin

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Dream.State they said more kids are drafted out of Minnesota HS hockey programs than from the Q. I wonder if that's true.

Doubtful.

Only 10 Minnesota natives were drafted, I do know that the top 5 were playing in the USHL, (not High school hockey).

The Q typically has 20-30 players selected in each draft.

Last season

USHL- 45

OHL- 35

WHL- 20

QMJHL- 23

Minn high school- 3

Being +3 in a 9-2 game, it's a pointless stat

Half the team is at +3 or +4

I agree. It just happened to be the only other piece of information available regarding his performance, so I included it. I wouldn't read it as testimony to the significance of +/-.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I expected the forwards to rate better than the defense.

I’d say the forwards are about right.

One of the weakest 1st lines in the entire league and devoid of elite talent. No goal scorers to speak of. The middle 6 is average and it’s not easy to see an effective shut down line/checking line either.

The defense should be lower than 24th.

A 10 man panel on The Athletic (Five NHL general managers, two NHL head coaches and three goalie coaches) just rated Hank in 21st of the starting goalies in the league.

The key point from the article is that there is less differentiation between goalies -- and less of a clear top tier -- than there was four or five years ago. That's the logical progression from the the many long term oft cited developments in goaltending: better and larger equipment; standardization of a single style; larger better conditioned and better coached athletes. There seem to be many who have a big season somewhere but then do not stand out above the pack over the long term. I hope Hank sees the rating. He is an incredible mental specimen who would use it as motivation.

Steering this back on course, particularly since some of the young kids are showing an elevated level of talent worth our time and excitement.

Let's get real, there are 3 top-end prospects who have earned a spot here. Even if their game is not quite "ready", they are far enough along to justify a spot on this team, in spades! They are already markedly more skilled than some others who will make this team.

First, time to talk Chytil here. Leaps and bounds above everyone in development camp, last night we saw why the entire org sees so much potential. The most talented young Ranger C, in ages. His soft hands and extraordinary stick handling are obvious. As is his height and fluidity. But there is more. A very smart and instinctive player who seems to be improving rapidly. He's crafty, highly skilled, and is quick with his stick. Love his temperament too, for a kid still 18. Yes, as Josh and I mentioned in another thread, he has defensive lapses. He will make plenty of defensive mistakes early in his career, but that should not be our focus. The kid appears a fast learner and he will likely grow significantly, in all aspects. Already played in Hartford, too good to not play every game for the Rangers, this season.

Question for you guys. Who does he remind you of, as far as style and an upside comparable? I keep recalling Peter Statsny, maybe a little Mats Sundin (though smaller) or a little Petr Nedved. Not saying he reaches those levels. And yes I realize Nedved is not on the level of the other two.

The other two guys have been mentioned on the thread. Lias and Hajek.

Hockey-wise, Lias was already a somewhat mature pick. Now all his exposure and work in the last year or two is really rounding out his game. He looks like a solid NHLer that won't give up much defensively, compared to most rookies. So pleased with his improved skating. Of the 3, he seems the most ready. In sum, I look forward to his development this year in NYC. Like Chytil, he should play every game, health permitting. I would not sweat a 4th line role, if that happens. That line could be potent as long as it is not saddled with a guy like McLoud. He could have Fast and Spooner/Vesey on his wing. That line could dominate other bottom lines around the league.

Last, but not least is Hajek. If he doesn't raise your level of optimism about our future blueline, your focus must be elsewhere. Sure we all had high hopes [JT Miller became part of the McD deal to solve the impasse over the D prospect we wanted versus the prospect Tampa was offering), but he has exceeded even my most optimistic expectations.

He is demonstrating he has all the tools. Sweet skater, good on the rush, precise passer, offensive instincts and really solid defender. Very good in all zones, sees ice well, way ahead in positioning and does not seem phased by the speed of the game. Reminds me of Travis Dermott with a bigger upside. Frankly, he may already be our 2nd best Dman. The team looks so much better when he is on the ice. Already!

Now the problem. Mgmt talked about a top-end kid like this impressing enough to earn a spot. Well he's really outplayed everyone on the blueline. However, we just signed Claesson and traded for McQuaid, solid stay-at-homes who also bring toughness. Smith is serious, one of the coach's projects and also brings size. DeAngelo has been the best of the RHDs. Pionk has a lot to improve, but showed his growth, experience and potential last night. He really should not be sent down, at this point. Staal is a slow but a steady vet defender. He's making the roster, but really he is blocking the blueline from moving towards it's obvious future. If he can remain steady, mgmt may possibly be able to move him down the road. Adding to the problem is Shattenkirk. Man I like the guy, but the player does not fit this team, with our younger, similarly offensive oriented, righties. I'd try to trade him as soon as someone offered good value in return. Until then...

Yet, let's not debate Shatty and lose sight of the issue. What are we doing with Hajek to start the season? Are we keeping 7 or 8 dmen at first? I assume 7. What happens to the others, is there really an open competition? The next two games may go far in deciding? Right now Hajek should be ranked our #2 LHD and I'm curious what the team is going to do.

is anyone concerned that Anderson disappeared after the first game? Pre-season or not, talent usually shows itself during a game.

Nah, he's looked good. Not gonna light-it-up like that every night, but he's been solid and handling his D responsibilities very well.

CBrowning, if he adds some girth and upper body strength, I could see his game including Nash's ability to shield the puck and maintain puck possession. Right now he seems to win or keep puck possession based on his instincts, good stick and serious finesse skills.

I mostly agree with you Eddie, but I think we painted ourselves into a corner with the trade for McQuaid. It would be a massive surprise if it isn’t Skjei, Shatty, Smith, Staal, AdA and McQuaid out of camp. Pionk or Claesson as the extra guy. They’ll pass it off as big minutes in Hartford being good for him. Which is kind of true, even though I don’t necessarily agree with the decision.

Archived