• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Watching Preseason to Evaluate Talent: Who Stands Out?

Giacomin

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the stuff about Keane is not new or out of nowhere. Even way before our coaches were singing his praises...

Ranked the #1 Re-entry prospect here...

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2018/04/sunday-top-10-2018-nhl-draft-re-entries.html

I just see him as potential impact defender at both ends. Last year, coming over from the USHL and playing for such a poor team, he just wasn't a noticeable player for the right reasons. But it's been the exact opposite this season. He's the #1 defender for one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference and emerged as one of the better defenders in the entire OHL (is a finalist for the Max Kaminsky). And he's a year younger than Durzi. Keane finished 13th in the league in defenseman scoring, but was 1st in +/- at +45. The next closest Barrie defender was Tyler Tucker at +27. That's why he was not only named the top defensive defender in the Eastern Conference in the Coaches Poll, but also the East's most improved. I look at Keane and see a defender made for today's NHL. Smooth skater who can push the pace of attack, but also solid and dependable in his own end. He makes a great outlet pass and rarely seems to turn the puck over. Keane also has a bit of a mean streak and he makes himself difficult to beat in all one on one situations. I mean, it's not like we're talking about a guy who has come out of nowhere either. Keane is a former highly touted prospect who was one of the 17 players invited to the U.S. NTDP U17 tryouts a few years ago and he finally seems to have figured it all out. I just see Keane as the complete package and teams would be crazy to pass on him again.

:tweet: Mitch Brown

@MitchLBrown

Follow Follow @MitchLBrown

More

Joey Keane goes 88th to NYR. Another one of my favourites. He's a re-entry, but so mobile and slick. His 44 points might even undersell his skill.

Screen_Shot_2018_08_02_at_11.04.02_PM.png

:tweet:

@coreypronman

Vanbiesbrouck mentions Joey Keane (NYR) and Jack Drury (CAR) as USA players who have impressed the staff.

There was also a chart of draft eligible Dman analytics that showed he was second to only Dahlin, but I can't seem to find it now. Point being, the kid is probably legit.

Couldn't watch the game last night. How did Chytil, Howden, Hajek, ADA and Buch play?

How about another Fuck Yeah!

Not talking about overall performance of the team and the players. Nor do I care much about Hank, Zuc, Skjei, Kreids and Zibs (except that he is healthy and ready to stud). It is the rest of the roster, where so much is unknown. But honestly, I'm personally most interested in the younger guys and those looking significantly improved. Those are the positive surprises.

3. Buch - compelled to start here given his 2 studly games and because this is the best I've seen him look. Maybe it is added confidence, a looseness, coaching or all three. Last night he was creating opportunities all over the O-zone and making passes across the slot that were surprising his teammates. All over the puck and basically the Flyers could not remove it from his stick. He looks quick and focused. I've seen enough. Sit him till the last preseason game and keep him healthy.

4. Hajek - my excitement is that there is a #4 in just 2 preseason games, but man this kid flashed his chops defensively and on O. He has hockey instincts and skates very well. He has offensive moves that had to surprise everyone. He can skate around guys, go deep, stick handle and has a quick release on his shot. All the talk about his defensively responsible play occasionally curtailing his offense seemed a myth. The kid has some explosiveness to his game and showed he wasn't afraid to make plays and press the offense. That said, he defended the rush like a pro and appeared a very steady defender in general. It was great to watch him and ADA (who put together a second strong game) play at such a high level.

One game, but this kid looks like a gem.

5. Brendan Smith - decided he needed a mention, even though we all are going to expect consistency from him, not just a few good games. However, last night was a great sign and you all know why. Need I start with being 21 pounds lighter? How much fucking faster did he look? It was an amazing contrast that highlighted by a bunch of real good hockey plays, some grit, no hesitancy and very little stupidity.

The way he is playing is really reminding me of Dan Boyle. The young good version, not the shitty one we got.
'

Not to be a masochist, but I'll take some of Vodka's abuse from you. My exact thought was damn he looks like Dan Boyle, except he is getting back on D. [Most recent recollection of Boyle.] He also is getting his shot through and into good spots, but it is not a hard shot, nor does he have a quick release. Yet, he still looks real good overall, including the PP and on D.

As for Joey Keene, he is going to need some time. He didn't jump out as a guy ready to play against the better forwards in the league, but he is showing potential. To be fair Vodka, he is the only 2018 draft choice in camp, impressing the coaches. Besides Lias, Filip and the kids from Tampa, he may be the only other youth getting a raised eyebrow. So what that he is 19, instead of 18. Some kids are late bloomers and we've had some finds in the 3rd round. He's likely a better prospect than Sean Day, already.

That isn’t difficult considering Day isn’t that good.

Listen, I’m not saying I don’t want Keane to succeed, I’m just saying we should slow down on practically guaranteeing him as an impact player after a 2nd preseason game. There’s a reason he was passed up so many times, let’s see if he can prove everyone wrong.

No doubt. The kid is not ready and who knows if he will improve enough to be an NHer. However, he caught the attention of the coaches, so now he is a guy to keep an eye on. Which is better than any other non-1st rounders we drafted, this year or last.

It was really strange how I wanted to get a look at how B Smith and Beleskey played. Then you see Smith carry the puck up, make a nifty move on the D then passes to Beleskey who snaps a high, glove side goal. They both made a good first impression but the fact that they did it together was classic.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Anyone can find any info and scouting report to fit a narrative. Point being is that you’re calling an overager that was selected 88th a first round talent and hands down will be an impact player soon, all I’m saying is pump the brakes on him until we see him at a higher level.

If talent was all it took, Robbie Schremp would be Wayne 2.0.

Keane was never not going to go back to juniors. I didn't say he was going to make the team. He stuck around longer than expected for a reason.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-make-first-cuts-release-jeremy-brodeur-martin-s-son-1.21107519

The Rangers made their first cuts of the preseason Tuesday, and one player who isn’t expecting to make the team for opening night made it past the first round of roster reductions and will be in the lineup Wednesday when the Blueshirts play their first home game of the preseason against the Flyers at Madison Square Garden.

Nineteen-year-old defenseman Joey Keane, one of the Rangers’ two third round picks in this summer’s NHL draft, has impressed the coaching staff through four practices to have earned the right to stick around for a little while longer.

“He’s got great feet; he competes, and he’s got a lot of physical skills,’’ coach David Quinn said of Keane. “I love the fact that he’s willing to learn. We think he’s a great prospect. He’s got an awful lot of ability. I think as he gets older, he’s going to adapt, and his game will grow. We really like a lot of things we see about him from a physical standpoint.’’

Keane was never not going to go back to juniors. I didn't say he was going to make the team. He stuck around longer than expected for a reason.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-make-first-cuts-release-jeremy-brodeur-martin-s-son-1.21107519

And back to Barrie in time to play last night, getting an assist and going +3.

Well Keane was sent back down to his jr team so I guess Vodka gets the win.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

In the little of pre-season I have seen he has looked good but this is absolutely the right move. I don?t like rushing forwards into the nhl but I don?t think defensemen should ever be rushed as most don?t seem to be NHL ready until the age of 23 or later.

Plus he is going to get good playing time and if I remember reading correctly he is likely to be on the USA team form world juniors or whatever tournament is coming up so that will be some great experience for him.

Love that management seems to be taking the correct route in drafting and developing these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

In the little of pre-season I have seen he has looked good but this is absolutely the right move. I don’t like rushing forwards into the nhl but I don’t think defensemen should ever be rushed as most don’t seem to be NHL ready until the age of 23 or later.

Plus he is going to get good playing time and if I remember reading correctly he is likely to be on the USA team form world juniors or whatever tournament is coming up so that will be some great experience for him.

Love that management seems to be taking the correct route in drafting and developing these guys.

Agreed. Given the reports, this is a 3rd rounder worth keeping an eye on.

It seems he got a game in preseason as an acknowledgement of his efforts and potential. Team/coach's way of saying they like the prospect. Since he wasn't going to Hartford, the Ranger's felt they could give him a game before sending him to the OHL.

Archived