• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Won the Trade?

siddious

Most likely you are right re: no Cup with those guys versus Nash, but you really do not know that. What we do know for sure is they did not win one with Nash when they were already a Cup contender before acquiring him, and in the process they lost two center trade chips and a 1st round pick along with 8 mill in cap space. I'm sure there are plenty of other options that would have been available either by trade or by signing with that cap space.

Dubinsky is the exact kind of player everyone talks about this team needing by the way. Someone who plays a hard nosed game, defends teammates, and doesn't completely suck offensively...and they traded him for someone who was softer than Charmin and failed to perform in the playoffs when they needed him most.

Dubinsky had 16 points last season and hardly played in the playoffs.. Columbus contemplated buying him out... I'd imagine if he doesnt get his shit together, he might wind up on waivers this year... Maybe he CAN be a Ranger again.

BTW Nash is only two years older than Dubinsky. It's not like they traded for an old man...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the time it was a trade they had to make. The team needed a high end scorer and that is what they went for....nothing wrong with that. But in retrospect, it failed. A Cup contending team brought him in and still did not win a Cup. He did not put them over the top. They went for it and lost.

Same thing with the Yandle and MSL trades. No Cup = failure...but nobody is going to blame the Rangers for going for it.

But it's not like they ruined the franchise in doing so. They gave up a guy that became an overpaid role player, and a decent center that isn't some kind of difference maker.

You trade depth players for a potential difference maker. Nash did ok here. Can't blame the teams failure completely on him.

No doubt, most expected more from him. Especially in the playoffs. I don't think keeping that package, gets the Rangers close to what they were. Disappointment or not.

Dubinsky had 16 points last season and hardly played in the playoffs.. Columbus contemplated buying him out... I'd imagine if he doesnt get his shit together, he might wind up on waivers this year... Maybe he CAN be a Ranger again.

BTW Nash is only two years older than Dubinsky. It's not like they traded for an old man...

Errr, Nash had like 28 pts last season

Season before

Nash- 38

Dubsinsky- 41

Season before that

Nash- 36

Dubinsky- 48

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

As much as I find it intriguing that since the trade Dubinsky's production on a mediocre team was almost as good as Nash's on a perennial contender, the argument isn't Dubinsky vs. Nash. The argument is what else could they have done with the assets they gave up for Nash, plus 8 million in cap space that has been tied up in Nash for the last 6 years. Clearly he was not built to perform when it matters most. He never was. It was a failed trade no matter how you slice it. They were an ECF team the year before they got Nash. They saw the Cup Finals once, and not because of Nash, as that was the worst playoff performance of his career.

I don’t question the trade and the intentions. I don’t even have an issue saying that the rangers won the trade. My argument is the expectations of what they were trading for and what they got in Nash. The team was already at the precipice before he got here. He was the final piece to put them over the top. He was the elite player who would fill the scoresheet when the games tightened up. He was supposed to be the missing piece. That was the idea when that trade went down. End of story.

Overpaid, under performer that never lived up to expectations in NY, while making $8 mil per year. Slice it anyway you want; came to MSG because he whined his way out of Columbus after getting countless millions in salary. So-called " power forward " who showed little of that, and played on the perimeter more often than not, imo. Never cared for him; injury prone and he was a failure with Boston as well.

The real question when examining the winner of the trade is looking back, knowing everything you know now- would you still make the trade?

In my opinion the answer is Yes, no doubt.

Nash, while not a 50 goal scorer was a threat that needed to be accounted for every shift, he played about as good a 2 way game as you could have asked for. Yeah, the last couple years injuries and concussions sucked, but looking at the whole package- we won. If I was put in time machine back to trade date, I'd pull the trigger exactly as it was originally composed.

The real question when examining the winner of the trade is looking back, knowing everything you know now- would you still make the trade?

In my opinion the answer is Yes, no doubt.

Nash, while not a 50 goal scorer was a threat that needed to be accounted for every shift, he played about as good a 2 way game as you could have asked for. Yeah, the last couple years injuries and concussions sucked, but looking at the whole package- we won. If I was put in time machine back to trade date, I'd pull the trigger exactly as it was originally composed.

Knowing that we would not win a Cup? Absolutely not. I would have invested the assets and cap space elsewhere.

Knowing that we would not win a Cup? Absolutely not. I would have invested the assets and cap space elsewhere.

Using your baseline, every draft pick, free agent, trade, coaching hire, GM and/or Owner action since June 1994 has been a failure. That's one hell of a high bar.

because im bored and like to post,

I have a bigger issues with the trades that followed over this one. Gaborik for Brassard, picks for Clowe, Mike Rupp.

Acquired St. Louis and Carcillo the following year, followed by Yandle.

And the team was playing well under AV. What could have been...

Using your baseline, every draft pick, free agent, trade, coaching hire, GM and/or Owner action since June 1994 has been a failure. That's one hell of a high bar.

That is quite an over-reaching conclusion based on my answer to the question you posed. Winning championships is usually the measure of success for contending teams, which the Rangers have been for the better part of the last decade. The team was an ECF finalist the year before they acquired Nash. The team was built for a run, and they had some assets to acquire a piece that could put them over the top to win a Cup. They made moves and have no Cup to show for it. Yes, I call that a failure. Apparently, this describes a success for you.

Errr, Nash had like 28 pts last season

Season before

Nash- 38

Dubsinsky- 41

Season before that

Nash- 36

Dubinsky- 48

Ok. You build a team around Dubinsky. I'll build one around Nash. I don't think many people on Earth would be behind you.

We REALLY going to debate who the better player is? Really?

because im bored and like to post,

I have a bigger issues with the trades that followed over this one. Gaborik for Brassard, picks for Clowe, Mike Rupp.

Acquired St. Louis and Carcillo the following year, followed by Yandle.

And the team was playing well under AV. What could have been...

That's why I think the trade was a wash.

If people remember, we traded away all our depth and grit to get Gaby with Nash...then had to trade Gaby among other assets for depth.

Overall, this trade looks like:

To CBJ:

Gaborik

Dubinsky

AA

Erixon

2 firsts

Less team success

To NYR

Nash

Brassard

Moore

Dorsett

More team success

Eh...

That's why I think the trade was a wash.

If people remember, we traded away all our depth and grit to get Gaby with Nash...then had to trade Gaby among other assets for depth.

Overall, this trade looks like:

To CBJ:

Gaborik

Dubinsky

AA

Erixon

2 firsts

Less team success

To NYR

Nash

Brassard

Moore

Dorsett

More team success

Eh...

I don’t think we can lump the trades all together, that’s not what I meant.

IMO, we clearly lost the Gaborik trade (sure, do the math to present day, blah blah) but we traded him at a huge discount because he wanted out. Wish we got to see him under AV.

You brought up points not me.

And it wasn?t Dubinsky for Nash

I also brought up how well the Rangers performed since that trade. If you can honestly say that you think the Rangers would have done better had they kept that package, I don't know what to say... I can't have a conversation with you if you continually look past the teams results. Which 95% of NHL fans can only wish for. The Rangers were a perennial playoff team that went much deeper than most teams, more often. I fucking HATE AV, but to complain about the Rangers last decade of being actual contenders with 2 maybe even a case for 3 different head coaches and multiple formulas as teams is being spoiled.

Nash was brought here and the team went to the cup finals and ANOTHER conference final... What is the complaint?

I also brought up how well the Rangers performed since that trade. If you can honestly say that you think the Rangers would have done better had they kept that package, I don't know what to say... I can't have a conversation with you if you continually look past the teams results. Which 95% of NHL fans can only wish for. The Rangers were a perennial playoff team that went much deeper than most teams, more often. I fucking HATE AV, but to complain about the Rangers last decade of being actual contenders with 2 maybe even a case for 3 different head coaches and multiple formulas as teams is being spoiled.

Nash was brought here and the team went to the cup finals and ANOTHER conference final... What is the complaint?

That this team sold its future for the Stanley cup (rightfully so).

And that Nash more often than not disappeared in the playoffs.

We didn?t get to the finals because of Nash, we got their in spite of him. He was 10th on the team in goals? 10th in points ?

That this team sold its future for the Stanley cup (rightfully so).

And that Nash more often than not disappeared in the playoffs.

We didn’t get to the finals because of Nash, we got their in spite of him. He was 10th on the team in goals? 10th in points ?

What future??? Dubinsky is 2 years younger. Anisimov isn't very special... What future was traded?

Nash was a part of the team. He definitely drew defenders and played a solid two way game. I'm not going to say I didn't expect more from Nash. I totally did and said so. In saying that, they still win the trade. Nash is the better player.

If all three were sent in separate trades last season, or even the season before that. Are you going to tell me Nash doesn't bring back a bigger haul than any of these guys? Seriously?

What future??? Dubinsky is 2 years younger. Anisimov isn't very special... What future was traded?

Nash was a part of the team. He definitely drew defenders and played a solid two way game. I'm not going to say I didn't expect more from Nash. I totally did and said so. In saying that, they still win the trade. Nash is the better player.

If all three were sent in separate trades last season, or even the season before that. Are you going to tell me Nash doesn't bring back a bigger haul than any of these guys? Seriously?

We made multiple trades for a few years, sacrificing the future, and like i said rightfully so.

And in regards to Nash trade.

Dunsinsky 2 years younger

Anisimov 4 years younger

1st round pick

And one of our top prospects

You keep saying Nash was a better player...i have no idea what you are talking about. There were multiple pieces moving the other way.

Archived