• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign F Jimmy Vesey to 2-Year/$4.55M Extension; $2.275M AAV

Phil

Couldnt just about anyone, getting those minutes?

That's not improving. That's just getting extra minutes from Nash, Miller and Grabner being gone. That doesn't make him, or the team better.

I said 20 being conservative, but he could score 25. After the deadline last year, he paced 25 and played just under 16:00.

No, I don't think "just about anyone" can score 20 goals playing less than 16:00 a night.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said 20 being conservative, but he could score 25. After the deadline last year, he paced 25 and played just under 16:00.

No, I don't think "just about anyone" can score 20 goals playing less than 16:00 a night.

It's literally been the status quo for the team the last several seasons. 3 guys in the mid 20s, 3 18-22, 3 14-17 goals.

We need to improve, or set guys up so we can have better numbers.

Does anyone think Vesey will be better than 2018 Grabner, Nash or Miller with more playing time for a few more seasons?

It's literally been the status quo for the team the last several seasons. 3 guys in the mid 20s, 3 18-22, 3 14-17 goals.

Does anyone think Vesey will be better than 2018 Grabner, Nash or Miller with more playing time for a few more seasons?

2018 Goals Per Game: Nash .33, Vesey .22, Miller .21

Plus injury free Kreider and Zib should both top 30 goals.

It's not a 1-for-1 thing. If Vesey's scoring replaces, say, Rick Nash, then your evaluating that 20 goals against what Vesey & K'Andre give you. Long term, that's a massive potential improvement.

It's not a 1-for-1 thing. If Vesey's scoring replaces, say, Rick Nash, then your evaluating that 20 goals against what Vesey & K'Andre give you. Long term, that's a massive potential improvement.

No. This wasnt some trade or Capfriendly game. This is on-ice play and results. I don't care about K'Andre Miller when we are talking about middle 6 production.

And Vesey now, or in the future, won't give you more production in any zone than concussed Nash.

I don't think it would be too hard to find a more productive player per minute than Vesey in the short term. He shouldn't be looked at as anything more than a 4th liners with the capability of filling a middle 6 role, temporarily. "In a new system" maybe he becomes a better shut down player that produces 30 points a season.

If you are moving him up to the 2nd line, giving him 5+ additional minutes a game, including PP time, he better be giving you a lot more than an extra 4 goals and 2 assists a season.

No. This wasnt some trade or Capfriendly game. This is on-ice play and results. I don't care about K'Andre Miller when we are talking about middle 6 production.

And Vesey now, or in the future, won't give you more production in any zone than concussed Nash.

I don't think it would be too hard to find a more productive player per minute than Vesey in the short term. He shouldn't be looked at as anything more than a 4th liners with the capability of filling a middle 6 role, temporarily. "In a new system" maybe he becomes a better shut down player that produces 30 points a season.

If you are moving him up to the 2nd line, giving him 5+ additional minutes a game, including PP time, he better be giving you a lot more than an extra 4 goals and 2 assists a season.

Well, you should care about it, because it's the reality of this team.

Who is giving him 5 more minutes a game? Where are you getting that assist number? From one side of your mouth your saying he's a lateral move and the other saying that he's not going to improve. I don't really understand what your point is. Vesey isn't going to score more than Rick Nash, so the Rangers aren't going to be better? Ok. They're not supposed to be better next year.

Just say you think Vesey is a bottom-6 forward and be done with it instead of ignoring the big picture of the team to say...whatever it is you're trying to say.

Well, you should care about it, because it's the reality of this team.

Who is giving him 5 more minutes a game? Where are you getting that assist number? From one side of your mouth your saying he's a lateral move and the other saying that he's not going to improve. I don't really understand what your point is. Vesey isn't going to score more than Rick Nash, so the Rangers aren't going to be better? Ok. They're not supposed to be better next year.

Just say you think Vesey is a bottom-6 forward and be done with it instead of ignoring the big picture of the team to say...whatever it is you're trying to say.

No because we already have a defenseman in that spot. It's not like we get an extra player because we got rid of Nash. I dont know where Miller came from in this scenario.

Again, my question was asking about the expectations of the player moving forward. The response was "His numbers will increase, slightly, because of more icetime." That's what I care about. Producing a few more points due to additional icetime isnt improving. Future, when you are rebuilding squad, the goal is to improve, both players and team play.

No because we already have a defenseman in that spot. It's not like we get an extra player because we got rid of Nash. I dont know where Miller came from in this scenario.

Again, my question was asking about the expectations of the player moving forward. The response was "His numbers will increase, slightly, because of more icetime." That's what I care about. Producing a few more points due to additional icetime isnt improving. Future, when you are rebuilding squad, the goal is to improve, both players and team play.

I feel like you're thinking I'm saying that Vesey is a premier top-6 guy who you can't improve upon. I'm not even saying that he's a long-term top-6 player. My initial point, in this thread, is that the expectation for Vesey next year is 20 goals, easily, if he's on the right line. Does that make the team better next year than this year alone, not in a vacuum, no, it's a lateral move. But if he's a factor on the forecheck and a good fit for Quinn's system than of course it could be.

But you can't just look at Nash vs. Vesey alone if you're talking about improving overall team play. If Vesey gives you the exact same production as Nash, plus you add Spooner and K'Andre instead of, like, Paul Carey and Rob O'Gara, you've made the team drastically better b/c Vesey has allowed you to add players without any consequence to your lineup. Again though, this team isn't supposed to be better next year, so I don't know why'd you look at it so narrowly.

This is what I think as well. He didn't really get a shot on the PP and in big minutes under AV, and he was floated between the 3rd and 4th line a lot. Hopefully Quinn will give him that shot.

I don't think he earned the chance to be on the PP or get big minutes previously. He needs to show he belongs in the NHL. I don't think any coach is just going to throw him out there without earning it....although with the way our roster might be shaping out this year he should have an opportunity regardless.

I don't think he earned the chance to be on the PP or get big minutes previously. He needs to show he belongs in the NHL. I don't think any coach is just going to throw him out there without earning it....although with the way our roster might be shaping out this year he should have an opportunity regardless.

Agreed - I think, entering camp, he'd be on the 2nd PP playing in front of the net.

Nash? Nah. Who could be better than the $8 million penalty killer extrordinaire?

I think Vesey showed signs of being a solid forechecker who can have a bit of a nasty streak. This is a good bridge deal. Let's see what he does.

Which I feel is different than what I thought he could be in his rookie season. Seemed like more of a skill guy from what I remember. My memory does suck though.

Agreed - I think, entering camp, he'd be on the 2nd PP playing in front of the net.

Over Kreider, Buch, Zucc, Namestnikov, Spooner or even Fast?

It seems like people wanted to turn him into a pest type, but now it seems like people want to stretch their dollar and have him on the PP?

I'm really not sure what to expect from this guy. I feel like we saw two different players in each of his two seasons.

He can definitely become a 20 goal guy in a top six role. Not sure if that's enough to keep him past this contract, unless he can be that pest at the same time .

Sorry I don't see Vesey scoring 20 goals. Way better players with way more icetime have never hit 20.

20 isn't easy.

Not seeing Vesey do it with his current battle level.

Vesey has two full seasons under his belt now and only 55 points. A lot has to change.

Vesey has two full seasons under his belt now and only 55 points. A lot has to change.
17 and 16 goals in his first two seasons. He can probably get to twenty if most of the season is garbage time where there is no pressure. I just don't see the pest potential whatsoever, I don't think he's the least bit hard to play against. He seems to end up bloodied more often than not. Would of been fine if he was moved.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

17 and 16 goals in his first two seasons. He can probably get to twenty if most of the season is garbage time where there is no pressure. I just don't see the pest potential whatsoever, I don't think he's the least bit hard to play against. He seems to end up bloodied more often than not. Would of been fine if he was moved.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I didn't realize that.

Shows you just how invisible he is most nights.

Sorry I don't see Vesey scoring 20 goals. Way better players with way more icetime have never hit 20.

20 isn't easy.

Not seeing Vesey do it with his current battle level.

I meant to piggy back on something you were addressing in a different thread - production above replacement.

I don?t see him doing it, not now, next season or in three, which is why I?d rather set up a kid so that person CAN be better than what we?ve iced.

Same here. Can't remember a single one of them. Invisible is the word I would use too.

But you remember the other 211 goals the Rangers scored? Vesey goes to the dirty ares and cleans up pucks around the net. The more time he's on the ice to battle in those areas, and the more he plays with better players creating more chances, the more goals he'll score...

But you remember the other 211 goals the Rangers scored? Vesey goes to the dirty ares and cleans up pucks around the net. The more time he's on the ice to battle in those areas, and the more he plays with better players creating more chances, the more goals he'll score...
What kind of question is that, seriously. I explain imo I don't think he's earned more ice time or a bigger role. I think he's a spare part who at times is invisible which to me equates to a lack of either effort, talent or both. If you feel differently that's great. I think he is who he has shown to be.

I don’t see this from him much, and not nearly as much as he should with so little production. I’m hard on Fast, and there’s no comparison between the two.

Off the face off, on the forecheck, the kid goes to the net and makes things happen. You may not remember his goals because they aren't flashy, and they don't stink in your mind because you dislike him, but the kids puts the puck in the net despite AV constantly shuffling around the lineup. I see Vesey, and Buch, greatly benefiting from some lineup/ice time continuity under Quinn.

Archived