• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

I want to redo my first floor bathroom, as most of my friends are extremely well versed in home remodeling and general contracting. The problem is, I?m not.

The problem doing it yourself is time. My basement has been a 2+ year project, I had one contractor come Saturday for an estimate to finish it off and another coming tonight. I just can?t deal with it anymore

Congrats! It sucks!

oh yeah.

the bathroom was just such a weird layout. like, the back wall was a tub without a shower head, wall, then standing shower on the other end. then coming out of the wall between the tub and shower, there was a little half wall made of tile that looped around a toiled that was directly next to the tub. so weird. so moving where the toilet is is a bit of a plumbing issue but we're almost done. I'm also very much not handy so its gettin a bit costly but not terrible. uncovering more costs that we didn't anticipate but I think we'll be about 10k in the hole including tub, new toilet, vanity and all that jazz

kitchen is weird. like, everything is straight out of the 60s, but it was all top of the line so it all still works. just kind of ugly but decent enough for now.

oh yeah.

the bathroom was just such a weird layout. like, the back wall was a tub without a shower head, wall, then standing shower on the other end. then coming out of the wall between the tub and shower, there was a little half wall made of tile that looped around a toiled that was directly next to the tub. so weird. so moving where the toilet is is a bit of a plumbing issue but we're almost done. I'm also very much not handy so its gettin a bit costly but not terrible. uncovering more costs that we didn't anticipate but I think we'll be about 10k in the hole including tub, new toilet, vanity and all that jazz

kitchen is weird. like, everything is straight out of the 60s, but it was all top of the line so it all still works. just kind of ugly but decent enough for now.

10K for a bathroom remodel is standard

yeah might actually end up being closer to 12 but initial estimate had us coming to around 8-9. turns out there was a lot of stuff that needed to be done under the surface. like, there wasn't a subfloor under the tub and now we're hearing the vent stack for the plumbing is rotted away

that was the last bit of work to do before we move in since that was the only full bathroom (1.5 bathrooms in the house)

over some years it'll take more work but overall we're very happy. and it's not a typical starter home that a lot of first time home buyers end up with. It's a 3 bedroom, about 2.1k square foot place on a nice street that ended up getting appraised for a good chunk more than we paid.

I dread that exact post.

We've been in this house 2 years. I know the roof ain't far off, and the furnace is probably sooner.

We are lucking out with this, kind of. We are having a few more solar panels added to our current array. The rebates from the install are going to cover the cost of the new roof. Best part of this is it is all going to be rolled into one payment. I wish we were able to have it tied into our existing solar payment(which is tied into our PSEG bill) but they weren't able to do that.

Also, I don't know if anything was answered before the other thread was deleted but we did end up going with the CAC unit over the ductless. It's so nice now.

You has an issue with ductless? I was going to go ductless because I didn?t want to do all of the work on my house and lose my half attic to accommodate the equipment.

I’m actually going to have an HVAC guy come in and give me his thoughts. He’s a close friends brother, so I trust he won’t bang me.

You guys have any tips for wet sanding? I just had a new window and door installed, plus they fixed some water damage in my ceiling. They did a pretty good job on the drywall and spackle, I just have to sand it before I repaint. I figured wet sanding was better than traditional sanding with one of those sanding blocks hay connects to a vacuum cleaner to collect the dust.

Thoughts?

What ever happen with this? I went back to where you quoted me from a few years ago and did a little re-reading but didn't go much farther.

What ever happen with this? I went back to where you quoted me from a few years ago and did a little re-reading but didn't go much farther.

He took a job with northwell as the guy that oversees their HVAC system and has no time for peasants like me. I reached out, he said we’d talk at another time. I reached out a few months later and he never got back to me, lol.

He took a job with northwell as the guy that oversees their HVAC system and has no time for peasants like me. I reached out, he said we’d talk at another time. I reached out a few months later and he never got back to me, lol.

Ah man. I can ask my neighbor but I don't know if he goes out to Nassau. One of the guys on my hockey team also does HVAC, I'll ask him as well.

Me

Yo does your company work in Nassau too or just out east?

Hockey buddy

Sorry man just saw this. Don't have service out here. I'm pretty sure we would go out to Nassau but most of our work is out east.

Me

Got a dude in Wantagh looking for an estimate

Him

Honestly fuck my company my boss over charges and hes a pos lol. He treats us like ass and hes a cheap fuck lol

I will ask my neighbor, Niko lol

• Like 1