• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

This was slightly before COVID but I tried to have one more reputable contractor do my bathroom. They quoted us 25k to start, saying it'd probably get more. (always does) He started saying all the weird ways the bathroom would need to be switched up (it had a standing shower and a bathtub, with a toilet next to and parallel to the bathtub which was weirdly laid out) but also told us our suggestions for how we wanted it changed up would be impossible.

Honestly I think some of these contractors just throw a giant number on jobs they dont want to do and see if you're dumb/deseperate enough.

we went with a cheaper guy who was a little rough around the edges. We got a rough start with our neighbor because the contractor did the demo overnight which was unprofessional but end of the day he did what we wanted and it turned out really nice.

thats exactly what a lot of them do.

Theres a certain margin they need to make on each project so they have no problem raising the price on you if its not a money maker or a large enough project where they can make money in different ways (putting margin on materials, taking longer to complete to bill for more time worked, etc...). Its always best to use a contractor you know or that was recommended in my experience. But if you can't I would certainly shop around and get as many quotes as you can.

25k for a bathroom does sound like a lot- even if you're moving pipes and stuff.

I have a college buddy who is a widely recognized Interior Designer with cover work appearing on Architectural Digest and he would tell me the craziest stories about some of the high-end work he gets to do. Granted, he's having material for drapes and furniture custom colored and woven, rugs made to order and such but still...$100,000 for a kids bedroom? I saw the photos and it was freakin' awesome. The room looked like the cabin of a schooner with curved wooden walls, curved bunk beds, etc., amazing detail and work.

A long while ago, I worked with an Attorney who bought and sold 7-figure homes as a hobby/investment/fun. One day I was in his office and he showed me plans for a 12-15,000' spec house he was building that had a 10 or 20 car garage, i don't recall. (He was a car nut.) I tossed out the idea that he should add a single-lane touchless carwash in the massive garage and he loved it, adding it to the plans on the spot. LOL Several years passed and our paths crossed so I asked about that car wash and he said it was THE deciding factor for the buyer.

Anythings possible if you want to put the money into it. Custom work of any sort will always jack the price up.

The company I work for is a wood flooring manufacturer- our standard items run between $5-15/sqft but once you start wanting something custom youre in the $20-30 range/sqft. These are just manufacturing costs- once you factor in installation and all that you're spending a pretty penny on one aspect of a house.

thats exactly what a lot of them do.

Theres a certain margin they need to make on each project so they have no problem raising the price on you if its not a money maker or a large enough project where they can make money in different ways (putting margin on materials, taking longer to complete to bill for more time worked, etc...). Its always best to use a contractor you know or that was recommended in my experience. But if you can't I would certainly shop around and get as many quotes as you can.

25k for a bathroom does sound like a lot- even if you're moving pipes and stuff.

Not recalling the exact total but our all-in cost, of labor and materials and whatnot, i think was not much more than half the original quote. and it needed A LOT of work.

Not recalling the exact total but our all-in cost, of labor and materials and whatnot, i think was not much more than half the original quote. and it needed A LOT of work.

Fair enough I mean it depends what you're doing in there. There are tubs out there that cost 25k lol

Fair enough I mean it depends what you're doing in there. There are tubs out there that cost 25k lol

i one day hope to be able to afford a 25k bathtub. I won't buy it, but it'd be cool to be able to afford it.

the bathroom when we bought the house looked like it was built 40 years ago specifically for someone in their mid 80's at the time. Total gut job. Now it's actually a huge bathroom which I love.

i one day hope to be able to afford a 25k bathtub. I won't buy it, but it'd be cool to be able to afford it.

the bathroom when we bought the house looked like it was built 40 years ago specifically for someone in their mid 80's at the time. Total gut job. Now it's actually a huge bathroom which I love.

You and me both friend, you and me both.

In the process of getting our stuff together to buy a house myself- luckily my father in law can build a house up from scratch and I have enough knowledge and experience in my own life to be able to do a lot of the work myself (plumbing and electrical I will have to hire someone) so hopefully no 25k for us on a bathroom. I enjoy the work too so I dont mind putting in the time. Figure labor has to be a huge cost savings alone.

You and me both friend, you and me both.

In the process of getting our stuff together to buy a house myself- luckily my father in law can build a house up from scratch and I have enough knowledge and experience in my own life to be able to do a lot of the work myself (plumbing and electrical I will have to hire someone) so hopefully no 25k for us on a bathroom. I enjoy the work too so I dont mind putting in the time. Figure labor has to be a huge cost savings alone.

Awesome you’re handy. Move near me please lol

We just redid our bathroom last summer for just about 15k

How large of a bathroom?

With our new build a few years ago we did rough in plumbing in the basement. Wondering what it will cost to frame it in, drywall and add a shower stall, toilet and sink and tile floor and have an ejector pump added to our ejector pit.

How large of a bathroom?

With our new build a few years ago we did rough in plumbing in the basement. Wondering what it will cost to frame it in, drywall and add a shower stall, toilet and sink and tile floor and have an ejector pump added to our ejector pit.

Not sure exactly, I could upload some pics here but have no idea how to.

We're in a weird spot. Property values where I live have straight doubled in three years. Initially, I was giddy about this, but now we realize we're essentially trapped on the property ladder. I'm not buying a 800k house in a county with a median household income of like 40k US.

So, we're going to reno. We've completed a new roof, and the siding accents/soffit/fascia/eaves. Now we have:

Garage Door

Entrance door

Patio Door

Kitchen

Bathroom

Some carpeting

Living room fireplace feature

I miss renting in many ways.

We're in a weird spot. Property values where I live have straight doubled in three years. Initially, I was giddy about this, but now we realize we're essentially trapped on the property ladder. I'm not buying a 800k house in a county with a median household income of like 40k US.

So, we're going to reno. We've completed a new roof, and the siding accents/soffit/fascia/eaves. Now we have:

Garage Door

Entrance door

Patio Door

Kitchen

Bathroom

Some carpeting

I had that same feeling the first time there was a big-time snowstorm and I had to salt and shovel myself. Then I remembered, every landlord I ever had was a shithead and never did that stuff anyway lol.

I also just like being able to do house projects cuz I feel like it. Built and installed new shelves in the bathroom. past landlords would ding the security deposit cuz they can even though its nicer. Now i do what the fuck i want lol

Garage Door

Entrance door

Patio Door

Kitchen

Bathroom

Some carpeting

I hear you. We're at the point we've talked about expanding the house we're in rather than moving.

When we bought this house, we thought it was going to be "it". Now some changes to the area (new commercial + housing development around the corner) and 2 kids make me feel like we should move 1 more town over into Summit. More expensive but also much more room and nicer houses.

That said, in the interim we're redoing the yard (pavers and topsoil/lawn), new garage door, fencing, and maybe a facelift for the kitchen (new cabinet doors).

I had that same feeling the first time there was a big-time snowstorm and I had to salt and shovel myself. Then I remembered, every landlord I ever had was a shithead and never did that stuff anyway lol.

I also just like being able to do house projects cuz I feel like it. Built and installed new shelves in the bathroom. past landlords would ding the security deposit cuz they can even though its nicer. Now i do what the fuck i want lol

This feeling evaporates rapidly when the work you're doing on your house is putting in a new furnace or boiler, repairing stuff that's broken, not just putting in the nice stuff you like LOL.

This feeling evaporates rapidly when the work you're doing on your house is putting in a new furnace or boiler, repairing stuff that's broken, not just putting in the nice stuff you like LOL.

lol TBD but thankfully the previous owners were REALLY good about the maintenance on everything in the house. We got our boiler inspected and they said that they'd be surprised if it didn't last at least another 10-15 years. So that's a problem for future me. Present me is happy

I get how that can be annoying but it’s still $2k for something that improves your life rather than $2k going into someone else’s pocket just for having a roof over your head.

At least that’s how you should think about it so you don’t go crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I hear you. We're at the point we've talked about expanding the house we're in rather than moving.

When we bought this house, we thought it was going to be "it". Now some changes to the area (new commercial + housing development around the corner) and 2 kids make me feel like we should move 1 more town over into Summit. More expensive but also much more room and nicer houses.

That said, in the interim we're redoing the yard (pavers and topsoil/lawn), new garage door, fencing, and maybe a facelift for the kitchen (new cabinet doors).

Don’t forget to clean the paint off the flagpole

Speaking g of home improvements, when we got married we had a very small private wedding. However we had a 150 person engagement party because many people wanted to get us small gifts. So we asked strictly for gift cards to Lowes. Think the 8k in gift cards are getting used on a new Trex deck this summer.

Thoughts on composite?