• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

Speaking g of home improvements, when we got married we had a very small private wedding. However we had a 150 person engagement party because many people wanted to get us small gifts. So we asked strictly for gift cards to Lowes. Think the 8k in gift cards are getting used on a new Trex deck this summer.

Thoughts on composite?

fuck thats a nice haul. Let me know how the deck goes we're thinking of putting one in

Speaking g of home improvements, when we got married we had a very small private wedding. However we had a 150 person engagement party because many people wanted to get us small gifts. So we asked strictly for gift cards to Lowes. Think the 8k in gift cards are getting used on a new Trex deck this summer.

Thoughts on composite?

We were going to go with a deck over our existing patio (and extend it) because we have a lot of surface roots that are popping it up, and we were worried about pavers. Enough folks came and said pavers were an option even with roots, so we're going with that because the costs of a Trex deck was probably 30% more.

Of course, there might be less maintenance but you're paying a pretty penny right now since COVID affected all the manufacturing.

I'd like to see the dimensions of the deck you're getting if it's just the $8K haha.

It's great if you're good shelling out the cash. Still, something to be said for wood, and treated wood comes in very natural colours these days.

It’s just the zero maintenance of it that’s so appealing. That and in our looking, there are some, very good warm colors that mimic wood so much.

fuck thats a nice haul. Let me know how the deck goes we're thinking of putting one in

Definitely. One of our smarter moves as a couple lol

It’s just the zero maintenance of it that’s so appealing. That and in our looking, there are some, very good warm colors that mimic wood so much.

Definitely. One of our smarter moves as a couple lol

I think if you install composite, you're no longer authorized to wear Nike Air Monarchs on it, and employ a chhezy apron whilst grilling.

I hear you. We're at the point we've talked about expanding the house we're in rather than moving.

When we bought this house, we thought it was going to be "it". Now some changes to the area (new commercial + housing development around the corner) and 2 kids make me feel like we should move 1 more town over into Summit. More expensive but also much more room and nicer houses.

That said, in the interim we're redoing the yard (pavers and topsoil/lawn), new garage door, fencing, and maybe a facelift for the kitchen (new cabinet doors).

That was us 2 years ago. Luckily we stumbled across a new home development within 10 miles of where we were living but out more in the country. Kids had to change school districts which sucked (but, they are young and didn't have tight friendships yet) and we got a much bigger, brand new home. We are very happy with the move from a 1955 home to something brand new. Like most new home developments they are selling out quickly. Our model type home base "starting" price went from 365K (3700 sqft) when we bought to 450K in 18 months.

It doesn't hurt to do reno. on your existing home either as it will only up your value which out there in NJ is surely skyrocketing.

That was us 2 years ago. Luckily we stumbled across a new home development within 10 miles of where we were living but out more in the country. Kids had to change school districts which sucked (but, they are young and didn't have tight friendships yet) and we got a much bigger, brand new home. We are very happy with the move from a 1955 home to something brand new. Like most new home developments they are selling out quickly. Our model type home base "starting" price went from 365K (3700 sqft) when we bought to 450K in 18 months.

It doesn't hurt to do reno. on your existing home either as it will only up your value which out there in NJ is surely skyrocketing.

Have you done any work on tjr home at all? From what I lewrend even turn key still needs your own touches unless you designed that turn key itself in the first place

I hear you. We're at the point we've talked about expanding the house we're in rather than moving.

When we bought this house, we thought it was going to be "it". Now some changes to the area (new commercial + housing development around the corner) and 2 kids make me feel like we should move 1 more town over into Summit. More expensive but also much more room and nicer houses.

That said, in the interim we're redoing the yard (pavers and topsoil/lawn), new garage door, fencing, and maybe a facelift for the kitchen (new cabinet doors).

Same here. Looking for a bigger house but i think we're just going to stay put. Thinking of way to expand the kitchen and put in a pool

We were going to go with a deck over our existing patio (and extend it) because we have a lot of surface roots that are popping it up, and we were worried about pavers. Enough folks came and said pavers were an option even with roots, so we're going with that because the costs of a Trex deck was probably 30% more.

Of course, there might be less maintenance but you're paying a pretty penny right now since COVID affected all the manufacturing.

I'd like to see the dimensions of the deck you're getting if it's just the $8K haha.

Damn, patio cheaper than a Trex deck? That's surprising to me.

Yea, I'm actually intrigued as to what the development going up near me would want for new construction. I'd be thinking $600k minimum and it wouldn't be $3700sqft LOL.

Damn, patio cheaper than a Trex deck? That's surprising to me.

Trex decks we got from $25K to $33k for a pretty big deck, it was going across the entire back of the house. But again, I'm doing it to avoid roots. I don't love the idea (especially with close neighbors, you see over their fences and they see you up on the patio...just weird).

We're probably going to do a $20k patio + firepit + new topsoil and grass.

This is true of everything right now. If there are projects you guys wanna do but can hold off I would suggest it because prices are crazy all over at the moment.

Lumbar has sky rocketed as has a lot of other building supplies. I just lost a massive 300k sqft project at work because we couldnt supply them on time. Not enough dudes cutting trees down out there I guess.

Have you done any work on tjr home at all? From what I lewrend even turn key still needs your own touches unless you designed that turn key itself in the first place

We did lots of upgrades when we bought since they threw 35K in incentives at us (which we put toward full main floor hardwood, fireplace, roman shower in master bath, 350 sqft trex deck....stuff like that. Since we bought, minor stuff....probably $1500 in electrical work (Chandelier hang in dining room, a few additional outlets inside and outside). We are having some carpentry/accent trim work done in the near future and then our future paver patio/fire pit project sometime soon hopefully.

Otherwise, in the next 1-3 years we'd like the bathroom added in the basement which is finished already. Should have done it with the house build but we didn't want to go overboard on purchase price and we weren't going to need it down there til our kids were teens in several years from now.

Yea, I'm actually intrigued as to what the development going up near me would want for new construction. I'd be thinking $600k minimum and it wouldn't be $3700sqft LOL.

Lol, well I'm out here in Pennslytucky. 40 miles from Philly....BUT 40 miles from Amish too. ;)

Sorry, just saw this. Oh I don’t mean the deck will cost only 8k. Just that it’s a nice chunk off the price. I’m guessing it’s around 20k or so for a good bilevel deck.

We did lots of upgrades when we bought since they threw 35K in incentives at us (which we put toward full main floor hardwood, fireplace, roman shower in master bath, 350 sqft trex deck....stuff like that. Since we bought, minor stuff....probably $1500 in electrical work (Chandelier hang in dining room, a few additional outlets inside and outside). We are having some carpentry/accent trim work done in the near future and then our future paver patio/fire pit project sometime soon hopefully.

Otherwise, in the next 1-3 years we'd like the bathroom added in the basement which is finished already. Should have done it with the house build but we didn't want to go overboard on purchase price and we weren't going to need it down there til our kids were teens in several years from now.

Nice. We are looking to do a sauna in the basement eventually next to the bathroom down there.

We used TimberTech with hidden fasteners instead of Trex because my brother-in-law had constant mold issues with his Trex deck even though it had eastern/southern exposure for a good part of the day.

I really like the low maintenance aspect and pressure-wash it twice a season. Once in spring to get off the winter crud and once in early fall. We installed led post lights from them too with auto-eye on and off with a built in timer. I’d never use wood again other than if it was redwood or ipe - both of which are horrendously costly.

Note: Unless doing it yourself make sure the contractor has experience with this material. Sure, it’s “like wood” except that it’s not. Some guys don’t like working with it.

saving up for a kitchen remodel which should be a headache.

besides the fridge which we recently bought, the rest of the appliances all came with manuals that have 'ways to use this oven to keep your husband happy!' and other shit from the 60s

the funny part is, they all still work really well. we have a standing double oven separate from the range top that is between 50-60 years old and it works better than any oven I've ever had. It's just old and crappy looking. The range top is built into the countertop which is weird and it's kind of off-centered from where it should be so we're worried about the electrical (will likely have to get the whole kitchen rewired)

there's also a small half bathroom off the side of the kitchen we'll probably redo but cost-wise I'm not worried about that. Might just have a plumber install a new toilet and for us to be safe

Sorry, just saw this. Oh I don’t mean the deck will cost only 8k. Just that it’s a nice chunk off the price. I’m guessing it’s around 20k or so for a good bilevel deck.

My brother in law had a really nice deck built over his paver patio a couple years back the ran him about 40k. Not sure the square footage but all the railing poles and stair case runners had hard wired lights that were WiFi controlled. Also had rain escape gutter system installed under it so the patio underneath stays completely dry whenever it rains.

new roof getting put on tomorrow.

Start of several projects due to ice dam[age].

bye bye close-to-healthy bank account.

We did this last summer. 12k plus tax (cdn)

Crew came complete with 20 something single mother who carried baby on her hip during the entire job. I love roofers.

• 2 weeks later...