• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

On 9/27/2021 at 8:16 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Some updates

This is like exactly what I want to do to my backyard. If you dont mind me asking (you can PM the answer if you want) how much did this type of work run you? dropping bank on a kitchen renovation that's gonna start up in about 2 months so that's taking priority but, hoping to have enough saved up that around spring we can start up this kind of work

45 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

This is like exactly what I want to do to my backyard. If you dont mind me asking (you can PM the answer if you want) how much did this type of work run you? dropping bank on a kitchen renovation that's gonna start up in about 2 months so that's taking priority but, hoping to have enough saved up that around spring we can start up this kind of work

I PMd you what mine cost, it was similar, it didnt go thru so either you have PMs off or you blocked me LOL. 

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

On 9/30/2021 at 9:31 AM, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

It was around $18-20k.  I don't remember exact number.  

On 9/30/2021 at 10:18 AM, Pete said:

I PMd you what mine cost, it was similar, it didnt go thru so either you have PMs off or you blocked me LOL. 

Or he didn't empty his inbox as Phil has asked lol

Edited by SaveByRichter35

36 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Sod wasn't included with ours.  They offered to seed but I declined.  I wanted to use my own.

I didn't have the patience for seed. We did our work in April and it would have just been the summer of "Don't go on the grass", and with 2 kids that's just not practical.

The sod was really thick and green when they put it in, but it's since become fine. I'm going to seed the shit out of it and see what comes back in the spring. I'd like a thick, full, lawn, but no one around here has one, really. Especially the back yards. Front, some people do well.

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

I didn't have the patience for seed. We did our work in April and it would have just been the summer of "Don't go on the grass", and with 2 kids that's just not practical.

The sod was really thick and green when they put it in, but it's since become fine. I'm going to seed the shit out of it and see what comes back in the spring. I'd like a thick, full, lawn, but no one around here has one, really. Especially the back yards. Front, some people do well.

That is not even close to being true.  If you seeded in April, the grass would have been perfectly fine to run around and play within a month-month and a half to be safe.  All good though, at least you have grass lol.  Idk wtf I am going to do at this point.  My sprinkler system won't even be fixed until next week the earliest.  

17 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That is not even close to being true.  If you seeded in April, the grass would have been perfectly fine to run around and play within a month-month and a half to be safe.  All good though, at least you have grass lol.  Idk wtf I am going to do at this point.  My sprinkler system won't even be fixed until next week the earliest.  

Everyone I talked to said it takes a season or 2 to develop a lawn sturdy enough to withstand activity. I'm no expert, so I just went with the reco. I kind of think they were right because there's a section we seeded on the seam between new and old lawn and there's still no grass there despite overseeding until it got too hot to.

Plus (totally in hindsight), I don't think it would have survived Ida.

8 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nah once you cut it a few times it should be hardened off enough with roots deep enough to endure kids running around on it.  I wouldn't suggest a full blown soccer game right away but running around, playing on swing set would be fine, etc.  How often are you fertilizing?

I have a guy who does all the chemicals and seeding, so dunno. 

I'm going to dump my own seed on this fall as well though. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

damn thats way more than i thought. Im just dropping kitchen money so, maybe ill hold off on this backyard project lol

That was for 33'x15' patio with a fire pit, drainage pipe for the downspout, and two underground sleeves built in to utilize 2 4x4 posts for our sun sail to connect to.  Black top driveway extended 3 feet wider from original with paver border.  Front stoop with sitting area and a flower garden retaining wall.  The driveway is the only thing I am not 100% happy with.  They went bigger than they were supposed to.  Normally that would be all good but in doing so they ended up having to incorporate the water meter cover into the paver border.  Which really made no sense to me.  Unfortunately they measured out that area and started laying the concrete and brick while I was inside with my daughter.  I didn't see it until it was too late.  I would preferred they went smaller to ensure that cover was still out in the grass.

Edited by SaveByRichter35

32 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That was for 33'x15' patio with a fire pit, drainage pipe for the downspout, and two underground sleeves built in to utilize 2 4x4 posts for our sun sail to connect to.  Black top driveway extended 3 feet from original with paver border.  Front stoop with sitting area and a flower garden retaining wall.  The driveway is the only thing I am not 100% happy with.  They went bigger than they were supposed to.  Normally that would be all good but in doing so they ended up having to incorporate the water meter cover into the paver border.  Which really made no sense to me.  Unfortunately they measured out that area and started laying the concrete and brick while I was inside with my daughter.  I didn't see it until it was too late.  I would preferred they went smaller to ensure that cover was still out in the grass.

That's a great price.