• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

How do you sharpen your blades?

FH06APR_467_07_008.jpg?fit=696,1024

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/lawn-mower-blade-sharpening/

I suppose you could do it with the blades still attached but it’s more clumsy. Takes 15 minutes to do. I have a hand sharpener and just remove the blades. There is one screw per blade. Hardest part is remembering which way to put them back on but I have two sets of blades so I just sharpen one set while the other is still on and rinse ,wash ,repeat. I don’t think the brand new blades out of the box really are sharp enough for my taste.

How do you sharpen your blades?

You can use a grinder, some just use files. I take mine to the local mower shop and he does it for me. Takes 30 seconds to do.

Home Depot does it.

But honestly it's the same price to buy new ones.

Not really. A blade for my mower is about $17, I pay 6 for the mower shop to sharpen them. And a new blade should be sharpened too. Does it have to be? No. But I like my blades very sharp. Sharper the blade the better the cut. My grass is very thick.

You can use a grinder, some just use files. I take mine to the local mower shop and he does it for me. Takes 30 seconds to do.

Not really. A blade for my mower is about $17, I pay 6 for the mower shop to sharpen them. And a new blade should be sharpened too. Does it have to be? No. But I like my blades very sharp. Sharper the blade the better the cut. My grass is very thick.

Oh, HD wants $18 to sharpen and it's $20 for a new one.

FH06APR_467_07_008.jpg?fit=696,1024

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/lawn-mower-blade-sharpening/

I suppose you could do it with the blades still attached but it’s more clumsy. Takes 15 minutes to do. I have a hand sharpener and just remove the blades. There is one screw per blade. Hardest part is remembering which way to put them back on but I have two sets of blades so I just sharpen one set while the other is still on and rinse ,wash ,repeat. I don’t think the brand new blades out of the box really are sharp enough for my taste.

Come onnnnn mannnnnn!!!! The wings face up, the sharp edge faces up. In the picture you posted, that is the top of the blade that should face up, away from the grass.

Come onnnnn mannnnnn!!!! The wings face up, the sharp edge faces up. In the picture you posted, that is the top of the blade that should face up, away from the grass.

Hey, it’s not hard for me, but I assume those that don’t know might not know lol. I was moreso saying it’s so easy the hardest part isn’t even hard.

You'd be way better off just removing it. The part of the blade that you would have to sharpen is facing the mower deck, it won't be facing you.

I'm going to give it a try, I have a blade in a box that I can sharpen, too. So if I have to take the blade off to sharpen, will just replace with the new blade for now.

I'm going to give it a try, I have a blade in a box that I can sharpen, too. So if I have to take the blade off to sharpen, will just replace with the new blade for now.

I will tell you this. Once you do get it nice and sharp, you will see a difference in the mow. Less clumping and just more evenness. How often do you mow? Not sure how into it you’ve ever gotten but you’re never supposed to mow more than 1/3rd off of the grass at any given time. Stresses the grass out a lot, especially in hotter months. I know one of the biggest mistakes people make is to cut off too much. I know a lot of people cut it short so they can go longer in between mowing but it’s probably the worst thing someone can do when they mow.

Just figured I’d throw that out there just in case.

I will tell you this. Once you do get it nice and sharp, you will see a difference in the mow. Less clumping and just more evenness. How often do you mow? Not sure how into it you’ve ever gotten but you’re never supposed to mow more than 1/3rd off of the grass at any given time. Stresses the grass out a lot, especially in hotter months. I know one of the biggest mistakes people make is to cut off too much. I know a lot of people cut it short so they can go longer in between mowing but it’s probably the worst thing someone can do when they mow.

I mow once a week depending on how much rain we get and I always start on the highest setting. I leave it pretty long, it's looks more lush.

:+1:

I mow once a week depending on how much rain we get and I always start on the highest setting. I leave it pretty long, it's looks more lush.

I was always a cut it short so it looks bigger kind of guy....ohhhhh we're still talking about grass...

:+1:

I was always a cut it short so it looks bigger kind of guy....ohhhhh we're still talking about grass...

LOL.

I'm also looking at some blade sharpeners that attach your drill to take some time and guesswork out of it.

LOL.

I'm also looking at some blade sharpeners that attach your drill to take some time and guesswork out of it.

Ohhhhhh hold on. That reminds me that I have something that I saved on Amazon that I saw at the end of last season and I totally forgot about it.

Edit - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJ9K2N2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_27CLFbT1ETBXQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=lawnforum-20