• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Which Rangers Benefit Most Under Quinn?

Phil

TSN had an interesting discussion about captains not long ago, mostly in regard to Matthews becoming captain in TOR, and both Jamie McLennan and Jeff O'Neal said that it's a pretty overblown part of hockey. They suggested it matters more to the media than the players. That said, they also mentioned that the player picked has to WANT the added responsibility and play BETTER with the letter, not worse. They don't need someone to stand up and give a rah-rah speech but someone who can bring it every night and not take a night off.

In listening to this, I can't think of a single player that fits this description for NYR since Messier. Mac didn't seem to handle the responsibility well. Leetch didn't. Jagr didn't want it. Drury struggled. Etc. The next player has to WANT it. If that's Shattenkirk, then fine. Kreider? Staal? Fine. I don't think a young player should get it and I'd like the coach to choose when he deems it time rather than the organization do what they did to Mac.

I agree that in most cases it's an overblown concept. IMO, the captain doesn't need to be a rah rah guy, nor the best player. I thought Kelly Kissio was a good captain, and he was a low level talent but was looked at as a veteran presence that played hard. He was just an average skilled hard playing hockey player that accepted the role. (God those were the days, 78 points from a non elite player, holy fuck).

If they don't name a captain, I could care less. This team has found leadership from others in the room over the years.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Leadership is important. You need strong leaders in a lockerroom. The season is way too long and hard, and too easy to get distracted. Need someone that can stay on you, motivate you, etc. Not necessarily about the C, but leadership is even more important when you have a young group of guys.

#culture

I think Leadership is important. You need strong leaders in a lockerroom. The season is way too long and hard, and too easy to get distracted. Need someone that can stay on you, motivate you, etc. Not necessarily about the C, but leadership is even more important when you have a young group of guys.

#culture

Agreed in that it's important, but the captaincy is a very overblown concept. Because in recent years I feel they probably have gotten leadership from non captains or non letter men more so than the guys wearing the letters.

I thought if they brought in a vet like Iginla or Doan, this past season or last, there would be a bit more accountability from within, or someone else besides Lundquist to play harder for... I believe you thought something similar.

This notion of needing a complete roster of guys under 24 seems to be getting out of control. People want this current roster to get even younger. Can't do much more than what is already in place. Infact I want to sign some decent vets. Especially some hard nosed ones.

We need another 5-7 18 year olds. They should arrive in a month or so.

Who gives a fuck about some 30 year old vet right now. Dime a dozen.

Now if you want to find us some 22 to 26 y/o guys who still have their 5 best years ahead of them, I'm game.

We need another 5-7 18 year olds. They should arrive in a month or so.

Who gives a fuck about some 30 year old vet right now. Dime a dozen.

Now if you want to find us some 22 to 26 y/o guys who still have their 5 best years ahead of them, I'm game.

Same here on the guys on their last leg coming in here and being given the C, Iginla and Doan? Hard pass. Taveras yeah, ok.

Same here on the guys on their last leg coming in here and being given the C, Iginla and Doan? Hard pass. Taveras yeah, ok.

He mentioned those names when discussing the prior 2 seasons.

when we brought in Shannahan, it set the tone for years. Now is the time to do it. Give the kids a role model for a few seasons, show them the ropes and some old man tricks, and it does wonders for their growth

That would be a massive mistake imo. Have somebody actually earn it or don't have one at all. Certainly don't gift it to someone based on a prior relationship in college no less. Holy crap that would be almost comical if it wasn't so brutal. If that's the kind of move Quinn would make I would bet we are introducing a new coach within three years, he's got to be smarter than that - hopefully.

"A Massive mistake"??? I dunno man, there aren't too many names on this roster right now capable of wearing a "C" other than Staal, who may just get a shot as well. Who else could you make a case for??? ....not that it's THAT important. But having a guy with some decent NHL leadership; certainly I believe Shatty is very capable of handling that, and I'm sure he'd "earn" it.

The guy is a pretty good player as well.

To be honest, I would be ok with Staal as well. But seriously, naming a captain is FAR from the largest issue with this franchise!!!

Iginla and Doan didn't even play this past season and in 16-17 Iginla was terrible and Doan a shell of himself. In their prime maybe but wasn't that a long time ago?

Not everyone needs to be an all-star. No they weren't as productive as in their heyday, but the way they go about the game, and how they prepare is an element that could maybe have helped this team or any other. It's not always about production when you're talking about what I'm trying to discuss.

Role model, leader, guy to play for to try to get him a cup, a vet to push to get more out of him. Some sort of structure/ belief to rally the room around.

I'm not looking for a guy to put in the top six. I'm looking for a guy to plug in in the bottom six, that could maybe slide up.

Is Hartnell available this summer?

He mentioned those names when discussing the prior 2 seasons.

when we brought in Shannahan, it set the tone for years. Now is the time to do it. Give the kids a role model for a few seasons, show them the ropes and some old man tricks, and it does wonders for their growth

Yeah man. Exactly like that, but the guy doesn't even have to be as productive as Shanahan still was. I mean it'd help, but there aren't many like that out there that I can think of.

I always think back to Torts and the Lightning bringing in Andreychuk as such a player, with a bunch of younger guys. Not that that team was super young, but compared to the 40 year old Andreychuk, who wasn't at the top of his game obviously.

Nothing wrong with having vets on a rebuilding team. Someone has to show them the correct way to be a pro. On and off the ice (this is where Shanny might have kinda failed, as he was supposedly hanging out with Avery off ice, and I'm sure everyone knows about Avery's off ice antics in NYC).

Not everyone needs to be an all-star. No they weren't as productive as in their heyday, but the way they go about the game, and how they prepare is an element that could maybe have helped this team or any other. It's not always about production when you're talking about what I'm trying to discuss.

Role model, leader, guy to play for to try to get him a cup, a vet to push to get more out of him. Some sort of structure/ belief to rally the room around.

I'm not looking for a guy to put in the top six. I'm looking for a guy to plug in in the bottom six, that could maybe slide up.

Is Hartnell available this summer?

He is and I actually had this exact thought. (Although Hartnell probably can't slide up anymore -- he's pretty slow.)

I agree with you on having some older players in the room. The coach can only do so much, the best kind of pressure is peer pressure. Hank can rant and rave but it's different coming from a goalie than it is someone who plays your position and can get out there and make a difference.

He is and I actually had this exact thought. (Although Hartnell probably can't slide up anymore -- he's pretty slow.)

I agree with you on having some older players in the room. The coach can only do so much, the best kind of pressure is peer pressure. Hank can rant and rave but it's different coming from a goalie than it is someone who plays your position and can get out there and make a difference.

And the best part about such players is, you hope a kid either pushes them into production, or they push the vet to the bench. Add a guy on the cheap, with small expectations, in hopes you really don't need to rely on them for production. Obviously they would need to have some sort of special teams skill that would warranty a spot.

But last year they employed dregs of the league like McLeod, Carey (who I liked), Desharnias, Holland, and so on. I think a player like I'm describing may have made a little bit of a difference.

Hartnell wasn't even good enough to make the lineup every game last year, he was a healthy scratch at one point for 3 consecutive games and only played in 62. Hard to imagine he would improve anything here other than the clown factor he brings with his Hartnell down campaign.

To me a capt. is more than a figurehead or a guy who was once a great player/leader. They should in my opinion have a strong presence in the room, one demanding respect but equally as important one of the best players on the ice who can deliver the big play more often than not.

I don't think you need to have a "C' and would prefer we don't have one just to say we do. At gun point I would give it to Zuc before I even considered Stahl (he shows no fire and his game is declining) or even less so Shattenkirk (who's done nothing here) - did he ever where a letter at any point in his career on a regular basis?

I would guess Zuccarello for captaincy. I feel like if they planned on trading him it would have happened at the deadline when he was worth the most. I would not be surprised if they extended him and gave him the C at this point.

that would be my choice. undersized over achiever, who came back from a frightening injury. always plays a hard nosed game and sets a good example.

i'm also of the opinion that the right 34-38 year old guy who has been through the wars would be a perfect fit for the 4th line. A guy like Kunitz comes to mind.

29. CHRIS KUNITZ, LW, 38

2017-18 cap hit: $2,000,000

The one-time first-team all-star has settled in as a rather high-end fourth-liner now. Assuming he doesn't retire, he still brings some useful experience, aggression and splashes of offense.

top ufa's as follows:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-30-unrestricted-free-agents-of-2018

also, just my opinion but i really think Quinn will change the culture in that locker room which in my mind, going back to Torts being shipped out on a rail is long overdue.

these guys need a good kick in the ass.

This is true - which is why I'm still having a hard time getting my head around the fact that they traded so many vets BEFORE firing AV.

The timing of everything just still seems weird to me.

If Vesey doesn?t improve he should be shipped out. That?s if he?s not this summer. Guys sucks and I hate his rat face.

We don?t agree on much, but we might on this one. The dude has plenty of talent but needs to ?pull his finger out? and use it. Not even close to effort and consistency enough. Hope he?s watching the Capitals second, third and fourth efforts and tenacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think this is spot on. I'd go so far as to say if Buch DOESN'T flourish with Quinn and a Russian mentor, he's just not gonna be that good. We put a lot of stock in him because he was basically the only forward worth talking about in the system but it's possible he goes the Anisimov route and never really takes that next step. This next season will be a big one for him.

I'm excited to see D'Angelo and Pionk as well. In all honesty, I'm excited to see players not stapled to the bench for the rest of the game when they fuck up on their second shift.

I think it?s guaranteed Buchnevich is watching not only countrymen Ovenchicken, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Burakovsky, but the display of physically tenacious tough and smart hockey Washington is putting on. And hopefully learning. I?d give him more time, but you?re right, it?s a big year for him, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived