• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Which Rangers Benefit Most Under Quinn?

Phil

He may not be able to “change” a player’s abilities, but from what I hear coming out of his mouth, he’s certainly going to make them work harder.

Certainly possible.

If guys weren't working hard or worse yet not even in shape I think that speaks volumes about the player. Bad enough if it's Kessel (who's somehow continued to produce) but if it's a young player that hasn't done much to begin with that's a guy I would rather not have.

I hope Quinn turns out to be a magician.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Quinn is going to have the overwhelming impact on making most of these guys significantly better. I think more often than not in many cases they will continue to produce (or not) at pretty close to the same pace. I don't think there's a silver bullet here, there's still dead weight and a bunch of unknowns. The process could take a few years just to get back to being a threat to potentially go a few rounds every year and that's if they do it right imo.

Who's the last college coach to come in and significantly raise the play of the majority of the roster and new draft picks. Not being a wise ass in any way. I think it was definitely time for a change but I also hold the players accountable as well as AV.

I don't have an answer to that. I don't know. There may be one or a few. But if this guys forte is working with young players and development, then he better have some sort of impact on how the roster performs.

I don't see this as new coach, new attitude, but who cares about the results. This guy better be able to reign in the Anderssons, Pionks, Chytils, Skjeis, DeAngelos, Veseys, Hayes, Kreiders, Zibs, and Buchs, and make them be prominent players in this process. Thats what I'm expecting. This roster is ridiculously young as it is. If he doesn't connect, then what? Is it the locker room of guys he knows a bunch about and groomed into what they are/were before they ever made it? Or is it the locker rooms fault and not the coach who has connection's with big pieces of the roster?

He has a sort of an in/pre relationship with at least 4 players I know of. Maybe more. Nevermind the in he has with Gorton and Drury, which makes me a little uncomfortable with how management will evaluate the results.

Certainly possible.

If guys weren't working hard or worse yet not even in shape I think that speaks volumes about the player. Bad enough if it's Kessel (who's somehow continued to produce) but if it's a young player that hasn't done much to begin with that's a guy I would rather not have.

I hope Quinn turns out to be a magician.

That's what bothers me. Vesey and Hayes are his former players ON THIS ROSTER and they already have a rep of being out of shape and not being good locker room guys. Isn't that why they kinda gave away Miller? But now the guy who's responsible for the earlier development of some fat fucks is the guy the team is entrusting it's future in? This doesn't bother anyone? The guys that are supposedly bad locker room guys are the guys most recently connected to the guy that is supposed to be changing the status quo?

That's what bothers me. Vesey and Hayes are his former players ON THIS ROSTER and they already have a rep of being out of shape and not being good locker room guys. Isn't that why they kinda gave away Miller? But now the guy who's responsible for the earlier development of some fat fucks is the guy the team is entrusting it's future in? This doesn't bother anyone? The guys that are supposedly bad locker room guys are the guys most recently connected to the guy that is supposed to be changing the status quo?

Must?ve been tough for him to coach at BU while Vesey and Hayes were playing at Harvard and BC

Am I the only one a little nervous about the relationship's that already exist with this coach, whom they needed to pry away from his happy home/job, with years and money.

It's already been said he's close with Gorton and Drury. Drury is close to Ruff, who btw hasn't officially been let go... Then there's Quins relationship with two players who have been said to have poor work ethic and aren't good locker room guys in Hayes and Vesey. This dude groomed that. Two guys who held out and didn't sign with the team that drafted them, then reportedly ended the season as fat fucks.

I mean he's said he knows Kreider, who i think works out like a mad man, and Shattenkirk seems to like talking him up while seemingly putting his name into the ring for a letter or captaincy... These seem like good things.

Are the Rangers about to change the locker room and front office into a good ol boys club of friends buddies and former players?

Dude you need to research, regroup and rethink your whole post. Your assumptions are wrong. The only Ranger who played any regular hockey for this coach is Shatty.

Am I comforted that Drury and Gorton have known the guy for 20+ years? You better fuckin believe it! It is about time our GM, Asst GM and HC are all on the same page and will be making evaluation decisions together. Too often mgmt has one thing in mind with a prospect or new acquisition and the coach has another.

What is the point of having an experienced guy like Gorton, with tons of hockey contacts in New England, if we can't tap his network or knowledge. Same for Drury and his network. I'm comforted that our mgmt is having hockey conversations with people outside the organization. I like our trades with the Bruins this year. I'd like to trade with Chiarelli some time. I want more college free agents. So should you.

The Rangers needed to change the locker room to a more hands-on guiding affair. Not some self policing room of Cup Champions. Quinn is a good communicator and teacher. Quinn is an active relationship builder. His players have called him a caring but tough father figure. His practices are hard, he emphasizes fundamentals and sets high expectations.

How can you possibly expect the room to be a good ole boys club? The Rangers made numerous moves clearing out a lot of personnel. They were inclined to move Miller at the deadline, to improve the room asap. I'm sure anyone else mgmt is concerned about will be moved, especially if Quinn notices something concerning. Being in top shape will be mandatory. If Smith, Vesey or Hayes can't run a 10K they might as well not show. Hopefully they all have been read the riot act, pre Quinn. Quinn will not tolerate that or a country club atmosphere. Noticed Shatty and Hayes look slimmer already.

Sidenote: How is Shatty putting his name in for a letter?

Dude you need to research, regroup and rethink your whole post. Your assumptions are wrong. The only Ranger who played any regular hockey for this coach is Shatty.

Am I comforted that Drury and Gorton have known the guy for 20+ years? You better fuckin believe it! It is about time our GM, Asst GM and HC are all on the same page and will be making evaluation decisions together. Too often mgmt has one thing in mind with a prospect or new acquisition and the coach has another.

What is the point of having an experienced guy like Gorton, with tons of hockey contacts in New England, if we can't tap his network or knowledge. Same for Drury and his network. I'm comforted that our mgmt is having hockey conversations with people outside the organization. I like our trades with the Bruins this year. I'd like to trade with Chiarelli some time. I want more college free agents. So should you.

The Rangers needed to change the locker room to a more hands-on guiding affair. Not some self policing room of Cup Champions. Quinn is a good communicator and teacher. Quinn is an active relationship builder. His players have called him a caring but tough father figure. His practices are hard, he emphasizes fundamentals and sets high expectations.

How can you possibly expect the room to be a good ole boys club? The Rangers made numerous moves clearing out a lot of personnel. They were inclined to move Miller at the deadline, to improve the room asap. I'm sure anyone else mgmt is concerned about will be moved, especially if Quinn notices something concerning. Being in top shape will be mandatory. If Smith, Vesey or Hayes can't run a 10K they might as well not show. Hopefully they all have been read the riot act, pre Quinn. Quinn will not tolerate that or a country club atmosphere. Noticed Shatty and Hayes look slimmer already.

Let's not forget Sather, as far as I know he's still around to possibly ass things up. So based on the above being Ruff apparently has a relationship with them is he's now good to go here as we move forward? I certainly hope not.

There's no defending the initial post saying Quinn has coached Hayes and Vescey.

We can stare into the crystal ball for the next 4-5 months but only time will tell what we really have here moving forward.

Hoping for the best and excited to see how it plays out.

Quinn has mentioned that he's talked to Shattenkirk a few time during several interviews. He says he's discussed the lockerroom and leadership with him.

What I find strange, is that Quinn keeps repeating that he hasnt talked to any of the other guys since the annoncement... I know it's been a quick week, with a holiday - but I think I'd expect some form of communication between player and coach.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shatty was named next captain of this team.

That would be a massive mistake imo. Have somebody actually earn it or don't have one at all. Certainly don't gift it to someone based on a prior relationship in college no less. Holy crap that would be almost comical if it wasn't so brutal. If that's the kind of move Quinn would make I would bet we are introducing a new coach within three years, he's got to be smarter than that - hopefully.

That would be a massive mistake imo. Have somebody actually earn it or don't have one at all. Certainly don't gift it to someone based on a prior relationship in college no less. Holy crap that would be almost comical if it wasn't so brutal. If that's the kind of move Quinn would make I would bet we are introducing a new coach within three years, he's got to be smarter than that - hopefully.

What's comical and brutal are all the assumptions you're making.

As far as the captain goes. There are only two veterans on the team that have leadership experience. Shatty and Staal.

When did he coach them?

I don't think I said he coached them, but he has stated that he has a relationship with them. Maybe they work/worked with them over summers? Does he just know them from the Boston area? I mean hints at how he knows them and quite well.

On edit, yeah later I say they were his players. My bad, guess I should have checked on that. But he does seem close to them. Can anyone explain that?

assumptions like he hasn't earned it? How about he actually accomplishes something meaningful and productive here for let's get crazy and say maybe 1/2 to 3/4's of one season. Asking too much?

Or the one where I said don't have captain just to have one?

I don't think I said he coached them, but he has stated that he has a relationship with them. Maybe they work/worked with them over summers? Does he just know them from the Boston area? I mean hints at how he knows them and quite well.

On edit, yeah later I say they were his players. My bad, guess I should have checked on that. But he does seem close to them. Can anyone explain that?

Unsuccessfully recruited Hayes.

Coached against Hayes and Vesey in college.

Yes. He recruited for BU. He recruited Hayes, but Hayes went to BC. These colleges in New England compete for players and then play against each other. Come on Dude.

Just cause Quinn asked a former player he's kept in touch with, questions about the team, does not mean Shatty is lobbying for a letter. And it is a leap to start discussing a Captain. Shatty needs to work on his knee, conditioning and eventually his game. Guys have to make the team, the roster is fluid and is miles away from taking shape. Let's not worry about a Captain. Or assume Quinn has even given it a thought.

Also, Quinn said he hadn't spoken to players at his initial presser. I'm sure he's reached out and made contact with most already. Within a day of the presser he had spoken to Hayes and others. Let's not create narratives.

Just don't like the ideas of pals running a ship. Seems like the business end goes out the window and people cover for each other more. Again. Ruff is still here. That's questionable.

Why does Quinn say he knows Hayes Vesey and Kreider? On what level is that to be taken. Sorry I didn't look to notice the different schools, and assumed the association with them was that. But for him to "know" two of the teams fatso's, is offsetting to me.

Shattenkirk seems to be saying a lot of the right things and I feel as though he's kinda stepping up to the helm with his comments past and present. Not many other veterans on the team to take a letter. I'd have no problem giving him the C for now. There's definitely worse options. It doesn't have to be permanent either. I'd say he will be closest to Quinn and simply take the role by default due to that closeness.

assumptions like he hasn't earned it? How about he actually accomplishes something meaningful and productive here for let's get crazy and say maybe 1/2 to 3/4's of one season. Asking too much?

Or the one where I said don't have captain just to have one?

TSN had an interesting discussion about captains not long ago, mostly in regard to Matthews becoming captain in TOR, and both Jamie McLennan and Jeff O'Neal said that it's a pretty overblown part of hockey. They suggested it matters more to the media than the players. That said, they also mentioned that the player picked has to WANT the added responsibility and play BETTER with the letter, not worse. They don't need someone to stand up and give a rah-rah speech but someone who can bring it every night and not take a night off.

In listening to this, I can't think of a single player that fits this description for NYR since Messier. Mac didn't seem to handle the responsibility well. Leetch didn't. Jagr didn't want it. Drury struggled. Etc. The next player has to WANT it. If that's Shattenkirk, then fine. Kreider? Staal? Fine. I don't think a young player should get it and I'd like the coach to choose when he deems it time rather than the organization do what they did to Mac.

Yes. He recruited for BU. He recruited Hayes, but Hayes went to BC. These colleges in New England compete for players and then play against each other. Come on Dude.

Just cause Quinn asked a former player he's kept in touch with, questions about the team, does not mean Shatty is lobbying for a letter. And it is a leap to start discussing a Captain. Shatty needs to work on his knee, conditioning and eventually his game. Guys have to make the team, the roster is fluid and is miles away from taking shape. Let's not worry about a Captain. Or assume Quinn has even given it a thought.

Also, Quinn said he hadn't spoken to players at his initial presser. I'm sure he's reached out and made contact with most already. Within a day of the presser he had spoken to Hayes and others. Let's not create narratives.

His interview on NHL radio yesterday he said he hadnt reached out to the guys yet... but was able to speak with Shattenkirk a few times (I assume he's rehabbing at Rangers facility - where Quinn has been doing interviews, etc)

Archived