• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Subban Wearing Nashville Welcome Out; Does New York Make Sense?

Throw him out against top lines, keep Pionk and Deangelo sheltered in hopes they eventually develop better defensively than Shattenkirk did.

Yikes, he is gonna get roasted and toasted. However, I like it if it means we don't throw the kids to the wolves with a top pair assignment. We really need a decent #1 righty who can complement Skjei. Then a defensive second pair lefty to help either Pionk or D'Angelo. Think we stand pat on the right side and take our lumps? Gulp.

I've been hoping a team wanting an offensive righty Dman and PPQB would offer us something decent in the draft (maybe a move up) or a prospect or anything we can use. Not near full value. Probably unlikely.

And the fans aren't the problem. Shatty's D was not as bad as it was the last 2 years. Maybe it was Hitch's system, but he was serviceable in St Louis, not embarassingly awful. Age, injuries and system could be exacerbating his defensive issues. Surgery, new coach... we can hope. Let's see.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yikes, he is gonna get roasted and toasted. However, I like it if it means we don't throw the kids to the wolves with a top pair assignment.
Yup.

We really need a decent #1 righty who can complement Skjei. Then a defensive second pair lefty to help either Pionk or D'Angelo. Think we stand pat on the right side and take our lumps? Gulp.

I've been hoping a team wanting an offensive righty Dman and PPQB would offer us something decent in the draft (maybe a move up) or a prospect or anything we can use. Not near full value. Probably unlikely.

And the fans aren't the problem. Shatty's D was not as bad as it was the last 2 years. Maybe it was Hitch's system, but he was serviceable in St Louis, not embarassingly awful. Age, injuries and system could be exacerbating his defensive issues. Surgery, new coach... we can hope. Let's see.

It's why I had an issue with signing Smith AND Shattenkirk. Spending a lot of money for 2 guys that struggle in top-4 minutes, without major help.

Fan ignorance to his abilities, then criticizing him for not being able to do what he never did has been a common theme this season.

Shattenkirk's defense didn't get worse since leaving St. Louis, he's just not getting the same sheltered minutes with a strong defensive partner.

Yup.

It's why I had an issue with signing Smith AND Shattenkirk. Spending a lot of money for 2 guys that struggle in top-4 minutes, without major help.

Fan ignorance to his abilities, then criticizing him for not being able to do what he never did has been a common theme this season.

Shattenkirk's defense didn't get worse since leaving St. Louis, he's just not getting the same sheltered minutes with a strong defensive partner.

And even in St. Louis he was the worst minus on D by far.

Yes I know it's a team stat but very telling when Pietrangelo is getting tough minutes and is +10 and Shattenkirk isn't and is -10.

And even in St. Louis he was the worst minus on D by far.

Yes I know it's a team stat but very telling when Pietrangelo is getting tough minutes and is +10 and Shattenkirk isn't and is -10.

So what does a -27 mean for Skjei and a +11 for Staal ?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What we already knew. That Staal was exponentially better than Skjei last year.

That said, what's your point?

I simply asked what the +/- stat tells us Re: Skjei since people are saying he'll be getting 1st line minutes and you said the +/- was telling. Capisce? No need to get all snarky.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I simply asked what the +/- stat tells us Re: Skjei since people are saying he'll be getting 1st line minutes and you said the +/- was telling. Capisce? No need to get all snarky.

I'm not, I'm just asking what we're driving at....Skjei had a horrific year. But Shattenkirk was trending down in that area for a bit, and then wasn't very good for the Caps after he was traded.

I wouldn't draw much of of a correlation.

I'm not, I'm just asking what we're driving at....Skjei had a horrific year. But Shattenkirk was trending down in that area for a bit, and then wasn't very good for the Caps after he was traded.

I wouldn't draw much of of a correlation.

But if you look at his game logs and splits, it shows he started strong then faded to shit by Dec. IMO it shows that his injury played a significant role in his game and he should be given a chance at redeeming himself as a player in the eyes of fans. I just think he's a much better player then what we remember from last season. I guess that's the crux of my point.

But if you look at his game logs and splits, it shows he started strong then faded to shit by Dec. IMO it shows that his injury played a significant role in his game and he should be given a chance at redeeming himself as a player in the eyes of fans. I just think he's a much better player then what we remember from last season. I guess that's the crux of my point.

He is now, and will be in the future, a poor defensive player who needs managed minutes. Not what you expect for his premium price tag.

Also not sure how we got to Shattenkirk from comparing to Skjei and Staal.

He's always been a one dimensional player and I'm not sure I would ever describe any of his play as great over a season. He's done nothing here top even deserve to be in the conversation about wearing a letter. I hole heartedly hope they actually make guys earn the opportunity to wear one. Barring a guy like Taveras who I still don't think ends up here go without a C and anybody wearing an A should have some contributed here in the past Shattenkirk hasn't done that. Maybe if he stays healthy he has a better year but even then it's almost assuredly only on one side of the puck. I would prefer to not see him get scorched playing against top lines, let the kids take they lumps and learn the ropes. Sheltering them isn't the answer to me. Honestly I hope they aren't putting much stock in DeAngelo.

He's always been a one dimensional player and I'm not sure I would ever describe any of his play as great over a season. He's done nothing here top even deserve to be in the conversation about wearing a letter. I hole heartedly hope they actually make guys earn the opportunity to wear one. Barring a guy like Taveras who I still don't think ends up here go without a C and anybody wearing an A should have some contributed here in the past Shattenkirk hasn't done that. Maybe if he stays healthy he has a better year but even then it's almost assuredly only on one side of the puck. I would prefer to not see him get scorched playing against top lines, let the kids take they lumps and learn the ropes. Sheltering them isn't the answer to me. Honestly I hope they aren't putting much stock in DeAngelo.

Young Dmen are tough to judge and it is just to early to know what D'Angelo is. He could improve in a lot of areas, but I like his tools and skill set. He is capable of getting better. Should put as much stock into him as any of their Dmen who haven't played a full season in the NHL.

It will be nice to see a coach hold a vet like Shattenkirk responsible for poor puck management just like they would with DeAngelo. Av did at times but for the most part poor puck management was only a problem if the guy doing it was a younger player. I’m thinking Quinn will be a major improvement.

He is now, and will be in the future, a poor defensive player who needs managed minutes. Not what you expect for his premium price tag.

Also not sure how we got to Shattenkirk from comparing to Skjei and Staal.

You seem very confrontational about anyones opinion but your own. He got a premium price tag for a reason. If you think he doesn't deserve it fine, but you shouldn't speak as if your opinion is the only right choice.

And what is Your point ? Your better at judging a Dmans worth, why? You've made it a habit of being confrontational with anyone who differs from your view. What exactly do you want from this forums users if you can't debate a topic without demeaning a contrasting opinion? Does it really make you feel better about yourself?

Young Dmen are tough to judge and it is just to early to know what D'Angelo is. He could improve in a lot of areas, but I like his tools and skill set. He is capable of getting better. Should put as much stock into him as any of their Dmen who haven't played a full season in the NHL.

Agree to disagree. I don't think he plays a smart game and to me is caught out of position often. But I guess we can blame AV. Imo his ceiling is low. I guess he'll get a chance to prove himself so we'll see how it plays out.

You seem very confrontational about anyones opinion but your own. He got a premium price tag for a reason. If you think he doesn't deserve it fine, but you shouldn't speak as if your opinion is the only right choice.

And what is Your point ? Your better at judging a Dmans worth, why? You've made it a habit of being confrontational with anyone who differs from your view. What exactly do you want from this forums users if you can't debate a topic without demeaning a contrasting opinion? Does it really make you feel better about yourself?

There's nothing better than when confrontational people call other people confrontational. :rolleyes: Not sure why your so sensitive to your opinion being challenged if you claim that's what the forum is for. Why don't we just stick to debating the players and you can keep your personal comments to yourself or just put me on the ignore list?

Shattenkirk being a poor defensive player who needs managed minutes isn't an opinion. It's an observation based on his usage over the last 3 or 4 years. Unless you think your opinion trumps the last 3 coaches who weren't playing him on the top pair or giving him D zone starts or playing him on the PK or against the other teams best players.

My point is pretty clear regarding Shattenkirk.

Still not sure where Staal and Skjei fit in.

I don?t see how he was confrontational, he was debating the points being made, isn?t that the point of the forum?

Agree to disagree. I don't think he plays a smart game and to me is caught out of position often. But I guess we can blame AV. Imo his ceiling is low. I guess he'll get a chance to prove himself so we'll see how it plays out.

Cool, though we do agree that he has to play a smarter game and make better decisions. However, those are the things he can improve with experience and good coaching. If he listens, has the aptitude, attitude and willingness he will improve like other young Dmen. We were already seeing bits of improvement before he had the high ankle sprain.

Here's the thing, unlike a few of our D prospects, he has almost all of physical hockey tools to be a good player in this league. It is the reason he was a 1st rounder (19th overall) in the 2014 draft. Let's see if he can build on his game this year now that he has a little more experience and a new coach who is good with kids.

Cool, though we do agree that he has to play a smarter game and make better decisions. However, those are the things he can improve with experience and good coaching. If he listens, has the aptitude, attitude and willingness he will improve like other young Dmen. We were already seeing bits of improvement before he had the high ankle sprain.

Here's the thing, unlike a few of our D prospects, he has almost all of physical hockey tools to be a good player in this league. It is the reason he was a 1st rounder (19th overall) in the 2014 draft. Let's see if he can build on his game this year now that he has a little more experience and a new coach who is good with kids.

I think D'Angelo is a prime example of a player that will benefit from having Quin as the new coach. His skating ability is evident so our ,defensive minded coach can hopefully raise his ceiling.

Howdy CB,

What was the nature of Skjei's injury?

That eluded me, i'm afraid to say.

I sure hope it is not a factor next year.

Archived