• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Subban Wearing Nashville Welcome Out; Does New York Make Sense?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that that couldn?t work but they are both righty which isn?t ideal on the pp at thd same time

That's false. A righty on the right side feeding another righty on the left side doesn't have to turn their body to make the pass.

The righty/lefty thing comes into play only when trying to pick the puck off the wall, which hopefully isn't happening all that much on the PP.

That's false. A righty on the right side feeding another righty on the left side doesn't have to turn their body to make the pass.

The righty/lefty thing comes into play only when trying to pick the puck off the wall, which hopefully isn't happening all that much on the PP.

This isn?t entirely true, it depends what kind of system you?re running.

I'm with Phil a foot into a door we shouldn't open. Very good player and does some great things off the ice charity wise but IF this is true he wears out his welcome in the room.

There's no shortcuts here that won't lead us right back to exactly where we were.

A guy not being liked in the locker room doesn’t seem like the plague. Avery was hated thru out the NHL and became very close with the rest of the Rangers rat pack we had here. PK would flourish here with his big personality, IMO.

I keep thinking back to the beginning of the season when Shattenkirk was healthy. He played confident, heads up hockey. He took control of the ice when he carried the puck and looked like he was the leader dispite McD having the C. 30-50 days later he looked like a totally different player, which put a sour taste in the mouths of the fans, (myself included). Having learned of his injury put into perspective why we saw the shitty Shatty. I believe we'll the see the real top dman we were told about at the trade, when the season starts. I also liked how vocal he was about vets not being accountable for their lack of effort and when he mentioned how Staal should have been the one to stick up for his teammates after Shatty dropped the gloves in defense of someone. It wouldn't be surprised if he was given the "C". Putting PK into the lockerroom could effect the chemistry that the Rangers desperately need. That's my thinking that PK is a big no.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I keep thinking back to the beginning of the season when Shattenkirk was healthy. He played confident, heads up hockey. He took control of the ice when he carried the puck and looked like he was the leader dispite McD having the C. 30-50 days later he looked like a totally different player, which put a sour taste in the mouths of the fans, (myself included). Having learned of his injury put into perspective why we saw the shitty Shatty. I believe we'll the see the real top dman we were told about at the trade, when the season starts. I also liked how vocal he was about vets not being accountable for their lack of effort and when he mentioned how Staal should have been the one to stick up for his teammates after Shatty dropped the gloves in defense of someone. It wouldn't be surprised if he was given the "C". Putting PK into the lockerroom could effect the chemistry that the Rangers desperately need. That's my thinking that PK is a big no.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Shatty was a turnover machine from day 1, though he did have good production.

A guy not being liked in the locker room doesn?t seem like the plague. Avery was hated thru out the NHL and became very close with the rest of the Rangers rat pack we had here. PK would flourish here with his big personality, IMO.

This. It would be huge for NY and for hockey. Or am I over thinking the whole star black hockey player in NY aspect? That aside, the guy is a big time game changer.

There is no room for him to disrupt. He would take lead and be a huge step in a new direction. You get him, Tavares probably has no problem coming here. You build around these two with all of these new prospects and future ones. There would be nothing left to worry about via drafting a building block. These guys would be it.

I think Laviolette would love Kreider or Zucc. Shit, maybe Andersson gets you a big in on the discussion.

Can't really compare the teams Avery joined to todays squad. We had Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Shanahan, Cullen, Betts, vets on D. This team has... Kreider, Staal and Zuccarello wearing letters...

besides, Karlsson is cheaper to acquire, younger, more talented, lower cap hit, less problems, and makes those around him better - huge for a rebuilding/growing team.

I have never seen the Shattenkirk you're talking about.

There was no trade, he came here as a UFA.

When did he call out Staal? When did he drop the gloves?

I would be absolutely floored if he even had a letter.

I don't think I would say leader, but Shattenkirk certainly looked real good the first month and a half or so - and was producing at a clip from a defenseman we haven't seen in quite some time during that stretch. He sloped off drastically before he eventually was officially out from injury though. Who knows what we will get next season.

I wouldn’t mind PK simply for the fact that he brings a missing element to the team in a nasty defenseman. He isn’t the big hitter, but he also doesn’t shy away from anything and is a pretty good shit stirrer. I wasn’t a fan of his when he first came into the league, but now that he has matured a little more, he has grown on me, and like someone else here said in the thread, he would thrive here and would be able to handle the pressure of playing here. The only thing that makes me want to stay away is what it would cost to get him here.

I have never seen the Shattenkirk you're talking about.

There was no trade, he came here as a UFA.

When did he call out Staal? When did he drop the gloves?

I would be absolutely floored if he even had a letter.

Oops, the UFA Shattenkirk fought Malkin on 10/17. The interview afterwards he asked why he was doing it when Staal is the bigger vet player. I'm sure it's on YT. At the beginning of the season he played great.

Why would a President's Trophy team that certainly is not far from winning a cup be trading it's star defenseman, a former Norris winner? I think that happens when there is some real issue that should you give you pause. Why would Montreal trade him for an older somewhat lesser player? Same question (and answer).

Why would a President's Trophy team that certainly is not far from winning a cup be trading it's star defenseman, a former Norris winner? I think that happens when there is some real issue that should you give you pause. Why would Montreal trade him for an older somewhat lesser player? Same question (and answer).

Agreed. This again would be an attempt at a quick fix with a guy that would have played his way off two teams while in theory anyway being a top tier defensemen. Who knows if this is even true.

* Shattenkirk should never wear a letter. I don't think he's ever been seen as a leader.

* I think there was even a comment that if they get Subban that would help bring Taveras?

* Still looking for a shortcut back to middle of the pack. Which would essentially be more of the same. Now with a NHL rookie head coach who I thought was primarily brought in to teach the kids?

If I had to bet I would say neither Subban nor Taveras ends up here.

Agreed. This again would be an attempt at a quick fix with a guy that would have played his way off two teams while in theory anyway being a top tier defensemen. Who knows if this is even true.

* Shattenkirk should never wear a letter. I don't think he's ever been seen as a leader.

* I think there was even a comment that if they get Subban that would help bring Taveras?

* Still looking for a shortcut back to middle of the pack. Which would essentially be more of the same. Now with a NHL rookie head coach who I thought was primarily brought in to teach the kids?

If I had to bet I would say neither Subban nor Taveras ends up here.

You realize this is probably good news? You'd bet Dolan isn't fickle and stays the course? That we'll be patient and hold our prospects and picks? You'd bet Sather stays in the background and resists impulsively adding a star in his quest to get a Cup here before he keels over? That Gorton will be able to proceed unimpeded, in a new direction? That we will carve our own path? Draft and groom our own stars?

What happened? What's with this optimism and positivity? Did you just find out a long lost uncle left you an inheritance?

As a fan, I don't mind PK. I think he's good for the game (aside from the slew-footing).

For the Rangers? No thanks. There is obviously something he's doing that rubs his teammates the wrong way. Maybe it's because he's a jerk off. Maybe it's because he's black. I don't care the reason, I care about the discourse in the locker room. And it seems to be a recurring theme.

Ryan Suter

Shea Weber

Seth Jones

Kevin Klein

Sam Girard

Ellis, Josi, Fabbro, Eckholm - theyre fine.

Oops, the UFA Shattenkirk fought Malkin on 10/17. The interview afterwards he asked why he was doing it when Staal is the bigger vet player. I'm sure it's on YT. At the beginning of the season he played great.

His game wasn't that great, but he did compete hard enough I think. He's just not a great defensive player.

After the season, he mentioned how he wished he was a bigger voice in the locker room, and, on the current roster, he's got the chops to be in the leadership group. Plus, he was the captain under Quinn at BU, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had a letter on opening night.

Edit - was captain after Quinn left, so fuck me I guess.

His game wasn't that great, but he did compete hard enough I think. He's just not a great defensive player.

After the season, he mentioned how he wished he was a bigger voice in the locker room, and, on the current roster, he's got the chops to be in the leadership group. Plus, he was the captain under Quinn at BU, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had a letter on opening night.

Edit - was captain after Quinn left, so fuck me I guess.

Didn't see that, thanks for the info.

Let's face it, Shatty's issue is that he is horrendous defending and in his own zone. On offense, once the puck is past center ice, Shatty turns into Superman, who sees every lane with special hockey vision. In his end, he's Clark Kent's blind dog who has never seen a hockey puck. Many complained about Yandle's D, but Yandle is Chelios compared to Shatty. Maybe it was the injury, but after the first few weeks his D was horrific. It was blatently bad in his short stint with the Caps the year before.

IMO the Rangers should trade Shatty before the draft, if they can get reasonable value. His no trade is about to be modified and if the Rangers find an interested party, they should approach Shatty about the new opportunity.

Go with the youth and shed the salary. The Rangers biggest need is a #1 defensive minded righty. Shatty is none of that. If we acquire a righty, someone has to go anyway. We already have offensive potential on the right side with Pionk and D'Angelo. They are cheap and have upside. Shatty still ain't cheap and he's on the back 9.

Anyway, I have a feeling this is not going to happen. Other teams probably want to see him after the surgery, before they give up anything of value. Therefore, I need to get used to the idea that Shatty stays on the roster. And the last thing I'm worried about is his leadership and any captain crap. Worry about his play in his own zone.

Shattenkirk's biggest problem is that most NYR fans never saw him play before he came here. For the most part, he did pretty well. But, with the Rangers performance last season, and his injury, (plus contract), his trade value is extremely low. During a rebuild - especially with no viable stopgap replacement - there's no need to trade players for little to no return.

Throw him out against top lines, keep Pionk and Deangelo sheltered in hopes they eventually develop better defensively than Shattenkirk did.

Archived