• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: Rangers Will Circle on Karlsson, Tavares

Phil

“If you sign Tavares, you lose hayes/Zib/Namestnikov/Spooner now, then you’ll lose another 1 or 2 every few years due to his big contract hit.”

Need impact players, and they cost money. I have no issue losing middle 6 forwards for a franchise center

You are correct, Tavares is going to cost some big money around 10-15 mil which wil take away our key players

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Kovalchuk really worth 6 mil a year???

If he can score goals maybe he is -- finishing seems to be a talent that the NYR does not really have enough of anymore (22nd with 228 goals for 2.78 g/g).

Does he have saucy enough mitts, or was it just a hard shot ... I can't remember?

I also wonder ... can he backcheck/attend to the defensive responsibilities every player needs to share their part of in today's speedier NHL?

I guess we might find out. There's a lot of skepticism.

There is a reason that Kovalchuk only lead his team to the playoffs three times in his 12-year NHL career. Two of the three times, his team was vanquished in the first round. There is more to hockey than just sniping a puck past a goaltender’s earhole. The Atlanta Thrashers were okay with trading Kovalchuk to the Devils. After a few seasons, New Jersey didn’t shed a tear when he retired and returned home to Russia.

https://fansided.com/2018/04/09/clueless-new-york-rangers-sign-ilya-kovalchuk/

“If you sign Tavares, you lose hayes/Zib/Namestnikov/Spooner now, then you’ll lose another 1 or 2 every few years due to his big contract hit.”

Need impact players, and they cost money. I have no issue losing middle 6 forwards for a franchise center

Can we afford Tavares and Zibs? It would be nice to have a 1 and 1A (top-tier) centers for the first time in forever?

Never thought I'd say this but I'm reluctantly OK with dropping Hayes, Namestnikov, Vesey +. I think these all have upside but without 1/1A centers we are going nowhere.

Tavares/Zibs/Andersson/???? down the middle ? Although Andersson seems to be a questionmark still.

Spooner has been scoring at a .8 rate -- nearly a point a game since he came here to this half-extinct team -- he's worth keeping if we can ...

I'm not sure how the dollars add up.

Pretty sure cba prevents a 15 million contract.

The maximum amount of an NHL contract is 20% of the upper limit of the salary cap. A $75M salary cap (2017-18) allows for $15M maximum per year.

That's what this team needs is to spend 12-4 or whatever on a thirty+ year old guy and then mix in another 6 for a 35 year old Kovalchuk. Are there enough Paul Carey's a DD to fill out the bottom half of the roster? Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Per the other thread, given that there have been no discussions with him as it would be tampering, this $6 million figure has been made from whole cloth and is probably Russian collusion to drive up his perceived value. I strongly doubt they will pay him that much, even on a one year deal.

If he can score goals maybe he is -- finishing seems to be a talent that the NYR does not really have enough of anymore (22nd with 228 goals for 2.78 g/g).

Does he have saucy enough mitts, or was it just a hard shot ... I can't remember?

I also wonder ... can he backcheck/attend to the defensive responsibilities every player needs to share their part of in today's speedier NHL?

I guess we might find out. There's a lot of skepticism.

You should know better than to trust these hot takes from fan blogs...look at the writers body of work.

Where does the cap to all this come from exactly? Right now (according to CapFriendly) we have 2,8m in space. Nash's retained 3,9m goes of the book, but G's buy out will be 1m more next year. DD 1m will be gone and possibly Pav's 1,3m. That adds up to 9m in space. Now we need to sign Skjei, Vesey, Spooner, Hayes and Names, all getting a raise. How are we supposed to give Kovy 6m and Tavares/Karlsson 11-12m?

Don't sign Tavares! That will cost most of our draft picks! We need to rebuild from within, that means drafting well. We are watching to see what Gorton's fishermen will do in the Draft in June!

Do you know why? Because if we sign him before the draft, that will trade some of our draft picks to the Islanders, and will waste big time money that plunders us into Cap Hell

Lol What?

Where does the cap to all this come from exactly? Right now (according to CapFriendly) we have 2,8m in space. Nash's retained 3,9m goes of the book, but G's buy out will be 1m more next year. DD 1m will be gone and possibly Pav's 1,3m. That adds up to 9m in space. Now we need to sign Skjei, Vesey, Spooner, Hayes and Names, all getting a raise. How are we supposed to give Kovy 6m and Tavares/Karlsson 11-12m?

I'm with you, we don't have a whole lot of room without trading pieces even if the cap goes up by 5 million.

That means some pieces need to be traded. Zuc and one of the big three RFA's seem to make most sense if they want to take a run at any Kovy +Tavares or Karlsson

I honestly don't think thats what was meant, nor is it completely true. The Rangers wouldn't have to lose more than 1-2 contracts to ice a competitive team yearly with Tavares. You walk away from the likes of Vesey and Hayes, since you can replace them from within. You deal Namestikov no matter what, because he will not be worth his next contract.

Chytil, Andersson, Howden, and a mix of FA and can take the roles abandoned by these missing overpriced guys that should be leaving. Rotate them in and out accordingly. Deal the others mentioned for competent NHL bottom 6 D men to be stop gaps for a few years. Make hockey trades.

From next season yes. But that's with 1G, 5D, 7F. Need to sign a goalie, Skjei (and atleast 1 more D), Spooner, Hayes, Names and Vesey.

Right, though I'd like us to go with Georgie as our backup. He's cheap, which is perfect. If he shows well in camp, he should get the job.

As for this rebuild, let's continue to do it right. Folks are worried about giving Skjei and extra year or a little more money than he deserves based on this year, but are willing to fork over a 6 mil multi year to a 35 y/o Kovy? Hey, I loved watching Kovy 8 years ago, but is that our future? I'd consider a one year contract, after seeing how everything settles out after the draft.

We may not be done trading, but to make room for lengthy gigantic contracts for players on the back 9? We need Defensemen.

We need a top-pair RHD and a #2 LHD, at the very least. The best thing we can trade for is a mobile RHD, who would mix well with Skjei. Pionk should not be placed on the top pair. Too much, too fast. I'll be satisfied with a solid showing on the bottom pair, next year. Shattenkirk doesn't have the D chops and D'Angelo may turn into a good NHLer, but he has a lot to prove and doesn't need the added pressure of top pair responsibilities.

If we were able to trade for someone like Josh Manson we'd have a solid first pair that could defend top lines, with a little grit. The Defense would fall into place, so much better. What would Anaheim need, we have variety. Zuc, Spooner or Names? Shatty? A D prospect, not including Hajek? Our last 1st rounder might be appealing too, since they value picks and have cap issues. Some combo, obviously.

The other thing we need is more high end draft picks. If Shatty or one of our wingers helps us move up in the draft, this is the year to do it. There are seemingly 8 - 10 sure shot high quality NHLers at the top of the draft. There will be plenty of other good players to be found among the top 40 or so.

That is our future. Draft well, develop and coach up the kids.

2008 was a draft touted for Dmen. 6 in the top 13. And then, Karlsson was drafted #15, Carlson at #27, Roman Josi at #39 and Hamonic at #53.

2010 was top heavy in forwards. 8 forwards selected in the top 9. And then, Jaden Schwartz at #14, Tarrasenko at #16, Bjugstad at #19, Hayes at #24, Kuznetsov at #26, Coyle at #28, Nelson at #30.

2011 proved to be a deep draft. After Rakell was selected at #30 the second round included Jenner, Gibson, Rask, Saad, Ritchie, Granlund, William Karlsson and Trocheck early in the 3rd.

2015 already appears to be producing highend players throughout the entire first round and top of the second.

This draft looks to produce a level of talent similar to other good drafts. A smart trade or two on draft day (or before) might be an option. Then we get to hope our scouting is on point this year.

You should know better than to trust these hot takes from fan blogs...look at the writers body of work.

My comments on backchecking / share of defending, not theirs.

Just stirring the pot a bit with the "clueless" link, doesn't imply endorsement, though. I am not familiar with the author. Shame on me.

I am beginning to think Kovalchuk will be here purely to try to keep it entertaining and enticing for a couple of years. But some fans, certainly some here, will want to see an improvement in goals allowed versus goals scored. Maybe some fans will just want to see Kovalchuk pocket the rocket ... I dunno.

I hope we can make progress in the goals allowed/team defense department by the time this rebuild is closer to completion. The new coach inherits a lot of challenges.

My comments on backchecking / share of defending, not theirs.

Just stirring the pot a bit with the "clueless" link, doesn't imply endorsement, though.

I am beginning to think Kovalchuk will be here purely to try to keep it entertaining and enticing for a couple of years. But fans will want to see an improvement in goals allowed versus goals scored.

I hope we can make progress in the goals allowed/team defense department by the time this rebuild is closer to completion. The new coach inherits a lot of challenges.

These days, it seems to go hand-in-hand. We need to improve scoring, puck possession and defense. Balance is key unless you have a few superstars. More puck control improves the defense. So does fewer giveaways (especially with all our stretch passing), better first passes and surer exits from our zone. Of course, better defensive fundamentals, speed and positioning are not to be discounted in reducing our goals against. Just like a sniper and threatening C, would really add to our offense.

What I'm trying to say is that we need a much better defense to improve both our GF and GA. We also need at least 1 more dynamic scorer up front and a more possession oriented approach.

What about Dougie Hamilton, Calgary didn’t make the play-offs and don’t have a draft pick till the 4th Rd. He’s making 5.75 mil. and is righthanded and only 24, plus he’s like 6’6”.

Love it, he is an impact player. Every time I see him, he impresses. His cost might equal Trouba in assets. So, Calgary wants/needs to get their draft back? Here's a solution. Our last 1st, the Devils 2nd both 3rds and Shatty (with 30% retention)? I'd do it in a flash. If they prefer one of our wingers and different RHD or prospect or the 2019 Tampa pick, I'd make it work. Trouba as well.

These are legit guys we can pair with Skjei and maximize our top pairing. Dougie may not bring the grit of Manson or Trouba, but he is still solid on the backend and will bring the points.

What about Dougie Hamilton, Calgary didn’t make the play-offs and don’t have a draft pick till the 4th Rd. He’s making 5.75 mil. and is righthanded and only 24, plus he’s like 6’6”.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He had a bad year and really hasn’t been great since leaving Boston but this idea really excites me.

Archived