• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: Rangers Will Circle on Karlsson, Tavares

Phil

Barring off ice issues, there's not much I wouldn't give up for Hamilton. Though that would create a log jam on the right where Pionk, Shattenkirk, and DeAngelo all play.

I'd imagine DeAngelo would have to go in the deal. Then you go Hamilton, Pionk, Shattenkirk down the right side. That's strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He had a bad year and really hasn’t been great since leaving Boston but this idea really excites me.

I must've seen his better games. He ended up with 17 G and 27 A for 44 points. Down from his career high of 50 points the prior year. Maybe the down year, the $ and their lack of picks makes him a potential target.

He had a bad year and really hasn’t been great since leaving Boston but this idea really excites me.

He had a pretty good year on a bubble team and has steadily improved since leaving Boston, stats-wise. I'm not going to say I watch too many Flames games, but hard to say 17g and 44pts from a 24 year old D is a bad year, IMO anyway.

I wonder how much they'd entertain the idea of a Hayes/Hamilton swap. Would put tremendous pressure on the NYR to recoup center depth, though. Or go after Tavares hard.

Not a bad idea, but I think they would want an offensive RHD in return and at least a 1st and 2nd to replenish in this strong draft. Adding Hayes to D'Angelo and a 1st and 2nd might be a bit too much to give at this point. Instead of Hayes, a better option for us might be Spooner or Zuc or Vesey. You're feeling the Johnny Hockey reunion though? I get it.

What about Dougie Hamilton, Calgary didn’t make the play-offs and don’t have a draft pick till the 4th Rd. He’s making 5.75 mil. and is righthanded and only 24, plus he’s like 6’6”.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Solid thinking. One of the aquired late 1sts Hayes and Pionk for Hamilton and a 4th liner. If not Hayes, offer Namestikov. Gotta clear cap space for JT, might as well add tona needed position in the process.

Solid thinking. One of the aquired late 1sts Hayes and Pionk for Hamilton and a 4th liner. If not Hayes, offer Namestikov. Gotta clear cap space for JT, might as well add tona needed position in the process.

I dont want to trade Pionk at this point. After his impressive run this season I would like to see what we have in him first. Remember he's still 22, a lot of D-men dont blossom before long after that.

Spooner/Names/zuc, ADA, our last 1st. Dont want to give up much more then this. Maybe throw in Devils' 2nd/Boston's 3rd.

You're adding cap space.

And they're trading Hamilton, now? What did I miss?

You're adding cap space.

Nothing. It's speculation because they missed the playoffs.

They are not in a situation to trade "what's right" with their team. I'd be stunned if they traded him just to get into the first round. Similarly, we'd be silly to try and get him by moving our early first rounder.

You're adding cap space.

Ok then Namestikov instead. Im more going on what these guys will make on the next contract. Gotta ditch these guys and get value at a needed position. Dont need Hayes or Namestikov if JT is going to be here.

After what Pionk has done since coming in I don’t see a single reason for trading him, certainly not bundled with Hayes and a 1st for Hamilton.

Did I miss the games where Pionk did anything not average to below average? I don't think of him as anything bit a #6 or 7 guy.

Yes, arguably... Im arguing. I don't see it.

I tend to agree with you, I think he was better than the rest of the junk (Gilmour, Sproul, O'Gara, Kampfer) that was out there but I don't see the kid as a slam dunk top four on a playoff team. Imo he plays with no edge whatsoever which doesn't help with some of the other issues.

No, but he has really good hockey sense and gains an edge by constantly learning and getting better at his position and with his stick. He has a lot to learn, but some of these college kids don't get the development they need to realize their upside. That's why we need a real coach this go around.

Pionk did demonstrated the chops and will to make this league. He has some offensive instincts that he was able to show in that crazy late season mess. But let's not pencil him into the top 4 yet. Prefer to have him on the bottom pair with an appropriate partner getting good minutes and matchups.

I hope they dont.

Bring in some competition

7 spots up for grabs.

Josh, at first I dismissed this post thinking I'd rather give the new coach a little ammo and get him a first pair of Skjei and solid RHD. And if Staal is at Ranger camp, well he kinda has to make the team?

However, a couple of more stares at your post had me thinking. [seth Jones interuption, he's so good]

New coach, new mentality, screw a predetermined D roster. Let everyone come in and see where the chips fall. Competition is good. Go with pairings that make sense to the new coach. Skjei will win the #1 LHD anyway and he'll go from there. If Staal is rotating 7th man, so be it. Maybe he'll expand his limited no trade list.

As long as the coach is not a dick about it and thinks he is Herb Brooks and realize there are accomplished established professionals on this team who need a different kind of coaching. Let alone holdover staff and a structured stable mgmt team. Therefore he can't be this rookie head coach playing head games like a prick.

Bottom line: This post should not be dismissed. The new coach can easily say he wants to get to know his players and worry about who slots where after preseason.

I tend to agree with you, I think he was better than the rest of the junk (Gilmour, Sproul, O'Gara, Kampfer) that was out there but I don't see the kid as a slam dunk top four on a playoff team. Imo he plays with no edge whatsoever which doesn't help with some of the other issues.

While he started to show more after his first 10 or so games, he started to get more icetime in the last 15 games and his stats disappeared.

He didn't seem to shoot the puck like many thought he would. He is small, but is a decent but not fast skater, and somewhat average on D. He got a lot of icetime in those last few games on a very bad team.

Im not writing him off completely. Just not going to put him in the top 4. A nice project player for the next coach. With Shattenkirk back and DeAngelo (I think) out of options, im not sure he even makes itvas the 7 spot. New coach or not, players options are always a factor.

As Giac may have been implying. Its up to the next coach.

Did I miss the games where Pionk did anything not average to below average? I don't think of him as anything bit a #6 or 7 guy.

Sounds like you did.

The guy comes up from Hartford in his first year out of college. Is thrown in at the deep end in a dreadful team. Plays on the first pairing, often up against the best forwards of the opposition. Plays on the PK as well.

Puts up 14 points in 28 games. Ends the season at -1 in a team hemorrhaging goals. He's a very good skater, makes good decisions on the puck, plays with a calmness and maturity far beyond his experience level.

I'm not saying he's the next Paul Coffey but as a prospect he's clearly not below average.

Archived