• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#78) Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning // Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Phil

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the hate on O'Gara and Gilmour during their first few games, why isn't there equal hate for Sproul? This guy can't play.

My take is it was established a while ago he was a dumpster fire and perfect for not winning many games. Imo all three fit that role perfectly.

How does AV style of play warrant him to coach, nobody on this team knows how to clear out in the front of the net. Shattenkirks return won’t fix this

It will be the same in 2018/19 as long as AV is still coaching. Be lucky next year to win 25 games and Another 50 shots on goal game. Embarrassing

How does AV style of play warrant him to coach, nobody on this team knows how to clear out in the front of the net. Shattenkirks return won?t fix this

It will be the same in 2018/19 as long as AV is still coaching. Be lucky next year to win 25 games and Another 50 shots on goal game. Embarrassing

They're babyshit soft on D Sproul, Pionk, Gilmour, Kempler look like little boys (DeAngelo tries to play with an edge but his still small. Staal/Skjei the best of the worst when it comes to this?? Shattenkirk - nope not his game. O'Gara - who? Anyway I think we need to hope they upgrade their backend drastically next year of the goalies are going to get hammered. AV can go for all I care but you can't teach size and strength.

We have only three Dmen assured of roster spots next year (18, 22 and 76). That leaves four spots open. Pionk may have the pole position for one of those at this point, but he still needs a good camp. Gorton will trade for a couple of NHL Dmen. There's no way he's forfeiting the season before it starts with the defense that's playing now. This could be like the Islanders, who went from a bad to a decent team in a day when they got Leddy and Boychuk for nothing right before the start of the season three years ago. It could also be a couple of Brendan Smith disasters added in desperation. We shall see.

Pionk has been one of - if not the - best defensemen on the team since coming in.

He’s about as certain on the roster for next season as it gets imo.

Of course he needs to produce in camp, like everybody else. But I’ll be shocked if he starts next season in Hartford.

He’s about as certain on the roster for next season as it gets imo.

I'm basically in agreement with you, but it's a matter of degree. While you would be "shocked" if he starts the season in Hartford, I would just be surprised. That leaves three spots wide open. Although Lindgren is not going to be ready, we need players of his ilk, not of the Gilmour, Sproul, DeAngelo type, for those spots.

Even a Smith rebound wouldn't be out of the question.

Pionk is playing 25+ minutes a night. There's zero chance he doesn't break camp with Rangers next season.

Sproul/Gilmour are obviously just holding places. They've already traded for three D-Men with size/edge. I think they get it.

The real question is, what kind of team are we going to be going forward? What kind of identity will they develop over next 2-3 years?

Hopefully that can be determined without the influence of the current coach.

Pionk is playing 25+ minutes a night. There's zero chance he doesn't break camp with Rangers next season.

Sproul/Gilmour are obviously just holding places. They've already traded for three D-Men with size/edge. I think they get it.

The real question is, what kind of team are we going to be going forward? What kind of identity will they develop over next 2-3 years?

Not quite 25+/night but an impressive 22+.

The challenge the next coach will have is lack of a #1 right shot defenseman (unless they sign Carlson) and even if you had that...going down the right with Carlson, Shattenkirk puts Pionk on a third pair...which limits him.

And of course none of our solid D prospects are right handed.

This Shattenkirk contract is a dog.

Chytil actually reminds me a lot of Kreider. I think they will likely be similar players, maybe Chytil is a little bit more intelligent with a little less raw explosiveness.

Other than being a power forward, I don't see it personally.

I see more Anze Kopitar

Of this year's roster I think

Skjei, Shattenkirk, Staal, DeAngelo, Pionk, Smith (?)/Body are pretty well locks if nothing changes.

Not quite 25+/night but an impressive 22+.

The challenge the next coach will have is lack of a #1 right shot defenseman (unless they sign Carlson) and even if you had that...going down the right with Carlson, Shattenkirk puts Pionk on a third pair...which limits him.

And of course none of our solid D prospects are right handed.

This Shattenkirk contract is a dog.

Not really. Pionk is playing simply out of necessity. He's 22. It wouldn't kill him to be a third pair defenseman while he matures. Yeah, he's looked good thus far and definitely separated himself from the other rookies but he needs seasoning still. Shattenkirk's contract doesn't stop anyone from moving into the lineup. And people are assuming Shattenkirk will suck but he was very very good before getting hurt and being asked to change his game from a puck carrier to a puck mover.

Different coach next season. Different lineup. Different results.

I'm not going to lie, on this season's evidence I'd rather have Pionk than Shatty in the team. I don't think that's me being giddy about a young prospect coming in and doing well either.

On stats alone:

Pionk: P 24, Pts 14, -2

Shattenkirk: P 46, Pts 23, -14

I'm aware Shattenkirk has been playing through injury, but even so. I think Pionk is a better 3 zone player than Shattenkirk already. He's smart and confident on the puck, makes good decisions in the neutral zone and I think he's already very good in the defensive zone. Had Ovechkin in his pocket on the PK the other night. And like I said he's put up those numbers playing mostly against the top lines of the opposition and on the PK.

Maybe I'm overcooking it, but I've been really impressed with him.

Not really. Pionk is playing simply out of necessity. He's 22. It wouldn't kill him to be a third pair defenseman while he matures. Yeah, he's looked good thus far and definitely separated himself from the other rookies but he needs seasoning still. Shattenkirk's contract doesn't stop anyone from moving into the lineup. And people are assuming Shattenkirk will suck but he was very very good before getting hurt and being asked to change his game from a puck carrier to a puck mover.

Different coach next season. Different lineup. Different results.

I don't think it really matters why Pionk is playing, he's succeeding. I know the whole right side went down with injury, Shattenkirk/TDA/Kampfer, but who among the last two showed more than Pionk?

My issue with Shattenkirk is he couldn't defend a lick for the last 2 seasons plus this one, so I have no reason to believe he will suddenly learn how now. I haven't followed AV or KS comments very closely but what makes anyone think he was asked to change his game from being a puck carrier to a puck mover? That's seems very odd considering how often AV talks about the ability of the defense to "beat the forecheck". I'd think there's room for both styles.

I'm just not that jazzed about paying a guy top dollar who can't go up against the other team's top line, can't kill a penalty, and still leaves a gaping hole on the first pair. I mean many of his peers in salary are all true #1s...Doughty, Pietrangelo, Suter, Giordano, Yandle...I mean shit I'd almost rather have just paid Yandle...

Archived