• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#78) Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning // Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Phil

I don't think it really matters why Pionk is playing, he's succeeding. I know the whole right side went down with injury, Shattenkirk/TDA/Kampfer, but who among the last two showed more than Pionk?

My issue with Shattenkirk is he couldn't defend a lick for the last 2 seasons plus this one, so I have no reason to believe he will suddenly learn how now. I haven't followed AV or KS comments very closely but what makes anyone think he was asked to change his game from being a puck carrier to a puck mover? That's seems very odd considering how often AV talks about the ability of the defense to "beat the forecheck". I'd think there's room for both styles.

I'm just not that jazzed about paying a guy top dollar who can't go up against the other team's top line, can't kill a penalty, and still leaves a gaping hole on the first pair. I mean many of his peers in salary are all true #1s...Doughty, Pietrangelo, Suter, Giordano, Yandle...I mean shit I'd almost rather have just paid Yandle...

Think of all the offensive defense man we've had here over the past few seasons of AV. Not a single one has panned out. Why is that? Yandle was misused by AV, 3rd pair who didn't even get PP time by the end of his tenure. Boyle, while older, was also relegated to 3rd pair minutes and eventually forced out with an ugly end. Shattenkirk started out very well and by my recollection AV made comments about him needing to "work on his game" about the time Shattenkirk took a nose dive.

We get it, defensemen have to play defense, but when you get an offensive defensemen, you have to be willing to let them play their game. Shattenkirk had 17 points in his first 18 games. Yes, he made some errors defensively but he more than made up for it with his offense. AV's system requires the D to move the puck up ice as quick as possible to the wingers. That's what he's required for all 5 seasons. Never once adjusting to his players skill sets. I agree with you, there is room for both, but AV hasn't fostered that. He wants Shattenkirk to move the puck and play defense -- but that's not what he does. I think there are many examples of players not being put in proper roles but this one might make me the most upset over AV's tenure.

I'm not saying Shattenkirk will become a Norris candidate next season with a new coach but if he's put in the position to succeed, he does have a valuable skill set.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think of all the offensive defense man we've had here over the past few seasons of AV. Not a single one has panned out. Why is that? Yandle was misused by AV, 3rd pair who didn't even get PP time by the end of his tenure. Boyle, while older, was also relegated to 3rd pair minutes and eventually forced out with an ugly end. Shattenkirk started out very well and by my recollection AV made comments about him needing to "work on his game" about the time Shattenkirk took a nose dive.

We get it, defensemen have to play defense, but when you get an offensive defensemen, you have to be willing to let them play their game. Shattenkirk had 17 points in his first 18 games. Yes, he made some errors defensively but he more than made up for it with his offense. AV's system requires the D to move the puck up ice as quick as possible to the wingers. That's what he's required for all 5 seasons. Never once adjusting to his players skill sets. I agree with you, there is room for both, but AV hasn't fostered that. He wants Shattenkirk to move the puck and play defense -- but that's not what he does. I think there are many examples of players not being put in proper roles but this one might make me the most upset over AV's tenure.

I'm not saying Shattenkirk will become a Norris candidate next season with a new coach but if he's put in the position to succeed, he does have a valuable skill set.

That's all fair. Great points.

I just don't think I can ever get over paying a one-dimensional player they same money as a complete player, unless the one dimension is actual goals scored (i.e. a guy scoring 40 goals and 20 assists is worth more to me that a 20g/40a guy).

Archived