• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

HBO Go To Be Available in 2015 Without Cable Subscription

Morphinity 2.0

If we end up with an a la carte system where you pay for what channels you want, can subscribe by the day, week, month or year, plus have specialty "networks" like Netflix and Hulu for group packaging if you want it, the consumer wins. Cable enjoyed their monopoly status long enough. Even when Satellite and fiber players got in the mix, their essential price fixing and promotional fish hook systems kept prices ridiculously high while service and support were often terrible. And you were forced to pay for hundreds of channels you don't watch and have to wade through just to have the handful of channels you actually wanted.

These may very well be the few first steps in a revolutionary change to mainstream media access. And it's about freaking time, considering we still don't have flying cars or automatic food preparers.

We have way more than a handful of channels that we want to watch, if I had to buy them all a la carte I'd be screwed. Everybody is taking everything to subscription and monthly fees, and everyone wants 9 bucks a month or so, up to who knows what for cell phones; it's getting to much for the average punter.

Moot point anyway, because Cablevision and MSG are joined at the hip and if they give MSG up they'll lose a huge hook.

We have way more than a handful of channels that we want to watch, if I had to buy them all a la carte I'd be screwed. Everybody is taking everything to subscription and monthly fees, and everyone wants 9 bucks a month or so, up to who knows what for cell phones; it's getting to much for the average punter.

Moot point anyway, because Cablevision and MSG are joined at the hip and if they give MSG up they'll lose a huge hook.

I doubt that package deals will completely go away any time soon. More competition should drive down prices, though. I don't think you're looking at $9/month. CBS just launched their online service for $6/month. And they're the highest ranked regular station. I could see NBC, FOX, etc having to charge a dollar or two less. I think the cable companies, in order to survive, will keep offering packages if you want them, but will also offer a la carte options as well.

I wish FX would offer an option like that.

In a perfect world, my entertainment bill would be $50 for 50 Mbps up and down internet.

HockeyStreams - $9/month

$6 per channel:

NBC

ABC

CBS

FOX

FX

AMC

Comedy Central

$20 per channel:

HBO

Showtime

TV/Internet Cost: $132/month

In a perfect world, my entertainment bill would be $50 for 50 Mbps up and down internet.

HockeyStreams - $9/month

$6 per channel:

NBC

ABC

CBS

FOX

FX

AMC

Comedy Central

$20 per channel:

HBO

Showtime

Netflix? ;)

Comedy Central offers most of their stuff for free actually, which is refreshing.

Netflix? ;)

Comedy Central offers most of their stuff for free actually, which is refreshing.

I used to have the Netflix streaming but there wasn't enough on it for me once I finished binge watching Mad Men. Haven't checked out their new series though. Eventually that might be necessary.

HockeyStreams - $9/month

$6 per channel:

NBC

ABC

CBS

FOX

FX

AMC

Comedy Central

$20 per channel:

HBO

Showtime

Ditto, I would love a plan like this...that's all I really need. No need to go looking for channels or setting up a favorites.

• 4 months later...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/09/hbo-now-apple/

HBO CEO Richard Plepler just announced that its new cable-free streaming service will be available only on Apple devices when it launches early next month. The price has also been confirmed, at $14.99 per month, and it will be available in time for you to catch the season premiere of Game of Thrones on April 12th. Plepler also debuted a new GoT trailer, and mentioned that there will be a new channel on Apple TV for the service once it's available.

That's annoying - Apple exclusive for now.

Apple-exclusivity is going to piss off a lot of people, namely the Android crowd, but it probably wasn't realistic to hope for a stand-alone product available across multiple mediums. Proprietary delivery is a money-maker in a situation like this.

Archived