• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

Yes, I saw it. I didn't think it was great. I thought 'Taker looked like a slug, and HHH looked a lot like a guy who hadn't been wrestling full-time. Very sloppy and slow. They milked half the match with false finishes.

Again, when you are talking about the all-time greats, it's best not to be so cavalier about the sincerity of the term.

Best take on this I've seen is from the WrestleZone forum I post on:

That said, HHH is definitely overrated. HHH has been apart of some great matches; I think it's really unfair to say he hasn't, but still... for being on top for as long as he has, he does not have as many all time great matches as he should to justify the length of his reign on top. And the fact is, his promos have always been mediocre, and the guy was not ever a big draw like the other huge names in the business. Yet despite all that, HHH and WWE have done everything they could to try and force the "universe" to believe that HHH is really up there with Hogan, Austin, The Rock, Flair, Michaels, Bret Hart, Undertaker, etc. He's simply not.

You know how there are "elite QBs" in the NFL? Well, there are 4 or 5 of them, and then you have guys like Eli, Flacco, Stafford, etc. All very good QBs who you would love to have on your team, but you cannot put them in that "elite" category and if you do, then you're diminishing the term "elite." HHH is like Eli in that sense. Yes, he's very good, you're very happy to have him on your roster, but not an all time great despite his championships.

I've always hated HHH, and Michaels was always hit or miss for me, but mostly miss, because I knew he was a fuckin' scumbag of a human being. Hell, I still think he's a scumbag — just one who claims to be "born again", but a scumbag nonetheless.

Remember the Hart/HBK "reunion" from two years ago? What should have been an epic moment was again marred by that selfish little shit when he, of coures, had to tell Hart that Montréal was his fault. Fuck that guy, fuck HHH and fuck the Kliq too while I'm at it.

I also don't see how he is overrated. He is quite the jerk backstage, yes but overrated? I personally don't think so. He is one of the best heels of all time. People loathed the guy and his mic work was great. He cut some real good promos in his time.

Bullshit. He doesn't even make the top-10 list.

Flair, DiBiase, Hogan, Piper, Nash, Angle, Hall, Koloff, Edge, André, Barry Windham, Ole Anderson, Kevin Sullivan, Randy Savage, Rick Rude, Paul Orndorff, Curt Hennig, Abdullah the Butcher, Harley Race, Jake Fucking Roberts, Billy Graham, etc. All much, much, much, much, much better heels.

Again, the WWE machine made him out to be much, much better than he actually is. Same with Batista. Same with Orton, in a lot of ways.

Bullshit. He doesn't even make the top-10 list.

Flair, DiBiase, Hogan, Piper, Nash, Angle, Hall, Koloff, Edge, André, Barry Windham, Ole Anderson, Kevin Sullivan, Randy Savage, Rick Rude, Paul Orndorff, Curt Hennig, Abdullah the Butcher, Harley Race, Jake Fucking Roberts, Billy Graham, etc. All much, much, much, much, much better heels.

Again, the WWE machine made him out to be much, much better than he actually is. Same with Batista. Same with Orton, in a lot of ways.

You are forgetting heel Jericho ;)

As for the people you mentioned, I agree that a lot of them are great heels (especially Flair, DiBiase, Piper, Savage, Edge) but IMO I think HHH belongs in the same category. Btw, I too cannot stand HHH. I just think he isn't nearly as bad as you make him sound.

You are forgetting heel Jericho ;)

As for the people you mentioned, I agree that a lot of them are great heels (especially Flair, DiBiase, Piper, Savage, Edge) but IMO I think HHH belongs in the same category. Btw, I too cannot stand HHH. I just think he isn't nearly as bad as you make him sound.

I never said he was bad. I said he wasn't great. Big difference.

HHH was good or adequate at everything. Nothing more. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I might agree that HHH hasn't had many stand out matches like some wrestlers ala Michaels has had but he's still had some really good ones.This isn't an excuse but I think part of the problem with HHH in the ring is he doesn't have any thing move-wise that stands out and isn't really innovative like a lot of people,he also doesn't take many risks so most of his matches are predicatable,Cena right now has the same problem,he does his 5 set move of doom every match but doesn't do anything else memorable.

Heel wise I think HHH was one of the best ones of the last decade or so,he was getting some amazing heat in his heyday and people really despised him when he was ruthless and knocking people with sledgehammers.He was just as good as a heel as Edge,Angle if not better.

I might agree that HHH hasn't had many stand out matches like some wrestlers ala Michaels has had but he's still had some really good ones.This isn't an excuse but I think part of the problem with HHH in the ring is he doesn't have any thing move-wise that stands out and isn't really innovative like a lot of people,he also doesn't take many risks so most of his matches are predicatable,Cena right now has the same problem,he does his 5 set move of doom every match but doesn't do anything else memorable.

Heel wise I think HHH was one of the best ones of the last decade or so,he was getting some amazing heat in his heyday and people really despised him when he was ruthless and knocking people with sledgehammers.He was just as good as a heel as Edge,Angle if not better.

I'd have to take your word for it. I wasn't watching from like 2001-2005 or so. I just remember never being impressed by HHH at all, and having already hated him from his role with Montréal.

HHH was an amazing heel. Simply put him during Evolution was one of his best runs as a heel. His various feuds with SCSA, Flair, HBK, Taker and many others have stood out to me.

--------

On a completely different level just saw CM Punk's Best In The World on Netflix and I was absolutely blown away.

HHH was an amazing heel. Simply put him during Evolution was one of his best runs as a heel. His various feuds with SCSA, Flair, HBK, Taker and many others have stood out to me.

--------

On a completely different level just saw CM Punk's Best In The World on Netflix and I was absolutely blown away.

Yeah his evolution run was maybe his best work.

Haven't caught Punks best in the world but watched NWO thing on netflix the other day,pretty interesting and entertaining also.I still fucking miss Scott Hall.

The nWo DVD was shit. It was just cut-up clips from the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD. They didn't even have new interviews with KEY nWo components like Bischoff, Hogan, Nash, Hall and others.

My wife got it for me for Xmas, and I told her she wasted her money. Some of the best matches in nWo history aren't even on the other discs.

I never said he was bad. I said he wasn't great. Big difference.

HHH was good or adequate at everything. Nothing more. Jack of all trades, master of none.

This statement sums up Triple H pretty well imo. I can't think of anything he was really great at. But he certainly was good at a lot of things. But I still can't stand the guy for being a self-absorbed jerk behind the scenes.

Have you guys seen the Off the Record with Michael Landsberg interviews of guys like Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Kurt Angle, SCSA etc.? Its a TSN show so I'm not sure if it airs anywhere down there but I'd highly recommend watching them on YT. About as candid as you'll ever see these guys.

• 3 weeks later...