• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Took a huge step in my life... I got a dog.

Niko

A friend of mine has a 7 month old beagle. They and their significant other are separating and neither of the apartment buildings they're moving into allows dogs. In comes me.

I met the dog and fell in love. He's neutered, potty trained and is a little ball of energy. I live around the corner from and jog around a dog park everyday, so I'll be able to get him around other dogs and some exercise.

He's adorable. He just has a habit of humping my leg, which I have to break. I also hate his name. His name is Remy, but I'm going to see if I can slowly change it.

Any advice for a person who's 26 and hasn't owned a dog since grade school?

--

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_7938.jpeg

Do you live in an apt? Beagles bark non stop.

Do as much as you can to keep him occupied, especially when youre gone. I recommend starting with crate training, when youre gone. Stop later if you want. Find some bone, kong, game, stuffed animal that keeps him occupied.

Give lots of attention and dont be affraid to be stern when necessary .

Do you live in an apt? Beagles bark non stop.

Do as much as you can to keep him occupied, especially when youre gone. I recommend starting with crate training, when youre gone. Stop later if you want. Find some bone, kong, game, stuffed animal that keeps him occupied.

Give lots of attention and dont be affraid to be stern when necessary .

I do, in a 1br. He doesn't bark. I'm told he howls sometimes, when you leave him alone for too long. But I'm home all day with nothing to do. So I'll have no problem bringing him to the dog park or jogging with me when I'm home all day and on my days off. I'm hoping he sleeps while I'm away bc it'll already be dark out.

What is crate training?

I do, in a 1br. He doesn't bark. I'm told he howls sometimes, when you leave him alone for too long. But I'm home all day with nothing to do. So I'll have no problem bringing him to the dog park or jogging with me when I'm home all day and on my days off. I'm hoping he sleeps while I'm away bc it'll already be dark out.

What is crate training?

PM me your email address.

What is crate training?

Hes going to be howling.. In the middle of the night.. While youre gone.

Make sure hes exhausted when you leave, with something to do when he gets an energy boost while youre away.

Crate train - put him in a cage/area while you're gone. A place where he is Safe and comfortable. Its his home ("happy place") while youre away. It can be a cage, room, bed, bathroom, basement.. Usually a cage

Pete: received. Thanks.

When they brought him by today, he was really warm and friendly. We took him to the dog park and let him run and he gets along with other dogs well, despite being really small. Easily the smallest of the other dogs there. Is there any etiquette I need to know for dog parks?

He playfully gnaws on your hand while licking you. He doesn't bite down at all. All in all, I think he's going to be great. Like I said, he just has to learn to stop humping my leg. I don't know how he has the desire despite being fixed.

When they brought him by today, he was really warm and friendly. We took him to the dog park and let him run and he gets along with other dogs well, despite being really small. Easily the smallest of the other dogs there. Is there any etiquette I need to know for dog parks?

He playfully gnaws on your hand while licking you. He doesn't bite down at all. All in all, I think he's going to be great. Like I said, he just has to learn to stop humping my leg. I don't know how he has the desire despite being fixed.

Cool. Read that thing, it's gold.

Whatever method you develop for discipline (biting, jumping, humping, etc), stick to it. I use "off" when my German/Collie mix (what a confusing mix, eh?) jumps, and I have said the word "OFF" so many times, that I am starting to wonder if I am saying it right any more. Find a "voice" that the dog listens to immediately. Mine stops, sits, and stares when I give a low voice. Oh, and buy some energy supplements, you may need them.

It is going to howl for sure 100%. My family had several Beagles over the years i've been on this rock. All Beagles howl. Make sure he definitely has some chew toys around so he doesn't gnaw as much on things you don't want him to. I'd love to get a dog but I'm home so little it would be extremely irresponsible considering i'd never give it as much attention as it deserves.

Sweeet Pooch, enjoy!

Ha, Koda used to j(h)ump me when I was doing pushups. 70 lb dog = pushups faceplant. You should be good with a beagle on your back, leg, tho, lol?

K-dog only used to do it but very rarely. It's a dog thang.

But I'll be boning up ? OK, that's a bad choice of words ? on my dog training reading before we bring the next dog into out house.

Would really like a dog but with 4 kids 8 and under and a cat there just isn't any room or time. Maybe one day when I'm older. I love Flat Coated Retrievers.

Great dogs if you are ready for ultra high energy — my buddy has one from puppy — now at less than a year, it's a super-tall bundle of nonstop mega energy. His is going to be one large beast when all is said and done. I'm glad I was younger when I had a large energetic dog & while the kids were young, we could play soccer, yard hockey with the dog and it was all part of his much needed play and exercise. (I still owe the wife a bunch of plants that we, erm damaged).

Now I might go a little smaller and mellower next time we adopt, those 50lb weight limits in some hotels are a PITA. (Yeah, we used to bring him on vacation with us everywhere.)

Great dogs if you are ready for ultra high energy ? my buddy has one from puppy ? now at less than a year, it's a super-tall bundle of nonstop mega energy. His is going to be one large beast when all is said and done. I'm glad I was younger when I had a large energetic dog & while the kids were young, we could play soccer, yard hockey with the dog and it was all part of his much needed play and exercise. (I still owe the wife a bunch of plants that we, erm damaged).

Now I might go a little smaller and mellower next time we adopt, those 50lb weight limits in some hotels are a PITA. (Yeah, we used to bring him on vacation with us everywhere.)

my wife like pugs so maybe that is what we would get instead lol.

my wife like pugs so maybe that is what we would get instead lol.

I love Pugs as well, I have one, and he is great. The only thing is that you have to keep them occupied, they are very smart dogs, and they like things that challenge them. You also have to exercise them a lot and watch their food intake because they can get fat very easily, and it gets hard for them to lose the weight. My Pug is still thin, my Vet loves us because he is so thin and he very rarely sees Pug like him. They are very loyal and are great and funny dogs. They also snore very loud when they sleep.

Archived