• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Game of Thrones (TV Show Discussion Only) *DO NOT POST SPOILERS*

Phil

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a glorious episode in many ways. It started so many little and big lines.

Lady Stark being the fool I took her for earlier, Robb Stark finally with the beautiful young lady, Tyrion being cool, Arya was awesome.

Not enough action, maybe, but great. Next weeks will be insane.

Loved it, a better version of the battle is still in my head, but you would need a Hollywood budget for that, so I am satisfied.

Only beef I have, is Stannis first man on the ladder and fighting on the wall.

Seriously, the general shouldn't lead the attack on a fortification like that. On a horse through a broken gate: Yes. On foot, while the defense is still strong? Hell no.

Loved it, a better version of the battle is still in my head, but you would need a Hollywood budget for that, so I am satisfied.

Only beef I have, is Stannis first man on the ladder and fighting on the wall.

Seriously, the general shouldn't lead the attack on a fortification like that. On a horse through a broken gate: Yes. On foot, while the defense is still strong? Hell no.

Thought the same, and with no back-up?

Thought the same, and with no back-up?

Not sure whether that jives with the book or not, but a couple of things. First, it parallels really well against Joffrey hiding behind his mother's skirt. Second, Stannis is a believer and believers don't always do what's rational.

Not sure whether that jives with the book or not, but a couple of things. First, it parallels really well against Joffrey hiding behind his mother's skirt. Second, Stannis is a believer and believers don't always do what's rational.

Both well in tune with logic, but it's still not quite right with the way that type of thing SHOULD happen. Believer or not, he has to understand he's King, and as King it's not his job to lead the charge at every turn. That's what he has commanders for. They should have been the first up the walls, not him.

But I do agree, it parallels QUITE well against Joffrey's cowardice, and gives them a nice set-up with him having been captured.

I'm actually not worried about it lining up with the books. The books are the books. The TV show is just a TV show based off an adaptation. It can have it's own route.

Both well in tune with logic, but it's still not quite right with the way that type of thing SHOULD happen. Believer or not, he has to understand he's King, and as King it's not his job to lead the charge at every turn. That's what he has commanders for. They should have been the first up the walls, not him.

But I do agree, it parallels QUITE well against Joffrey's cowardice, and gives them a nice set-up with him having been captured.

I'm actually not worried about it lining up with the books. The books are the books. The TV show is just a TV show based off an adaptation. It can have it's own route.

My girlfriend and I argue about this constantly with movies. Sitting in the movie theater, every time there is some disconnect, I can feel her turning to whisper to me about it and every walk out of the theaters' postscript begins with what was different. Drives me loopy. I only like exploring the differences as they relate to story telling in the different mediums. Why they made the choices they did or how they might have resolved the differences in a better way.

My girlfriend and I argue about this constantly with movies. Sitting in the movie theater, every time there is some disconnect, I can feel her turning to whisper to me about it and every walk out of the theaters' postscript begins with what was different. Drives me loopy. I only like exploring the differences as they relate to story telling in the different mediums. Why they made the choices they did or how they might have resolved the differences in a better way.

I actually got in a bit of trouble for scolding my friends about that with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - basically getting chewed out for saying "You can't expect the movie to be PERFECTLY LOYAL to the text"

Apparently I'm wrong.

In any event, I don't mind adaptation (for example, showing Dany's actual story in this season would have been aggressively boring), but when you lose the heart of what's going on, it's no good (for example, the Hunger Games films completely disposed of the whole "us vs the government" angle and I found that completely unacceptable, since that's pretty much the heart of the book)

The Blackwater battle is a prime example of this. The books had Tyrion have a chain forged that they used to trap Stannis' fleet in the bay, where they rained dragon fire on them from the shores and walls. In this version the chain never happened, but they blew the ship up carrying most of it, which was a perfectly acceptable (IMO) adaptation.

He did.

What you SHOULDN'T have expected - Loras Tyrell leading the charge.

I was like, oh shit it's Renly's boyfriend! Made sense, but I never saw it coming. Then I realized it was him and Tywin. That also kind of makes sense, as they have a mutual enemy in Stannis.

I was like, oh shit it's Renly's boyfriend! Made sense, but I never saw it coming. Then I realized it was him and Tywin. That also kind of makes sense, as they have a mutual enemy in Stannis.

One thing you really haven't yet seen is the South. You've been to Dragonstone, you've been to King's Landing - but that isn't the TRUE south. Highgarden and Sunspear are fun, fun places full of great characters.

yeah we'll probably see some characters next season but likely wont visit the locations until season 4 at the earliest

and for Sunday I saw one site say its 64 minutes long and another say its 70. Don't know if the 70 was just them rounding up

Prob a 70 minute timeslot with a 64 minute run time.

Archived