• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Hire Gerard Gallant as Head Coach; Signs 4-Year Deal Worth $3.5M per Season

The idea that Gallant flat out rejects analytics is false. Even a cursory Google search would reveal that. Look up "Gerard Gallant analytics" and the second and third results are both about how he wasn't fired because he doesn't believe in analytics. Both articles contain the same quotes:

Link: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/18435294/nhl-fired-florida-panthers-coach-gerard-gallant-says-fired-refused-embrace-analytics

Here you have Doug MacLean at around 10:07 recounting a conversation with Dale Tallon:

"He's pushing Gerard Gallant to anybody that will listen to him. And I don't blame him; he had a great relationship. He didn't fire him. Vinny Viola fired him...Here's what happened, Gerard was getting texts during the intermission from the analytics clowns in the press boss telling him, with the minority owner, who to put on lines. The minority owner and the analytics guys would sit together and send Gerard texts who to play with who from the press box...And then it eventually became a battle and Viola fired him."

I don't think Gallant is in the wrong here. He's the coach.

Mmmm. Yeah.... Article I posted has Gallant saying the opposite about analytics.

We'll obviously have to wait and see. I like him. I like his ways. I hope it doesn't become a power struggle, which it certainly has the potential to be as it has been everywhere else he's been.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm glad the search is over...Now we can focus on bringing in the right type of players.

I promise I will support Gallant 100%, and even though he wasn't my first choice, I still had him in my top 3. (I'm sure the others weren't available (ie: Brindy, Quenneville)

...but obviously I'm no expert by any means, and I trust a winner like Drury has his finger on the pulse of this all the way.

So fuck it!!! ....I'm on board!!! :thumbs:

Mmmm. Yeah.... Article I posted has Gallant saying the opposite about analytics.

We'll obviously have to wait and see. I like him. I like his ways. I hope it doesn't become a power struggle, which it certainly has the potential to be as it has been everywhere else he's been.

No. The article you linked contains just an excerpt where he mentions a disagreement relating to analytics which is correlated to the same ugly situation in Florida I mentioned.

There's a difference between "I don't like analytics" and "I don't like that analytics guys are telling me how to do my job." It doesn't take much inference to realize what he obviously means is the latter.

Guy has no system. He just sends em out there claps his hands and says "let's go!" He's barely a coach, he's a father figure.

The assistant coaching hires will be massively important now.

Rumors of Girardi to coach the D are pretty scary considering his inexperience.

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am we didn't go with Knoblauch after watching the team run through a wall for the guy. Hopefully he doesn't get poached out of Hartford before Gallant is fired in 2 or 3 years so he can have his rightful spot here.

Make this make sense to me.

Gallant is "bad" because he "has no system."

Knoblauch is "good" because he stepped in for two weeks to help the team. Yet he was coaching the same system as Quinn, per literally everyone's words, and one of the most common criticisms of Quinn was his lack of a discernible system. Now we can easily say that Knoblauch had no time and did not implement any system at all while he was here in NY.

You have Knoblauch saying:

“I’m here, I call the lines, there’s very little work I’m doing. The [permanent] coaching staff really ultimately sets the game plan and put the systems in place for the players to succeed. Right now, I’m just relaying that message for a few games, but like I said, I’m enjoying it but take responsibility for it, absolutely very little of it.”

Is that not just clapping your hands and saying "let's go!"

They didn't "run through a wall" for him. The team played closer to its actual capability against largely weak teams. It was still pond hockey, but the difference was that they were winning. Knoblauch's influence is overstated. I think it boils down to "it wasn't Quinn" which is what the team needed more.

• Like 1

I don't think he's a slam dunk, either. But I'm optimistic they've got the right guy, or at least a right kind of guy if only to change up the voice in the room. It's been clear that Quinn was tuned out for much of last season by the top players on the team. There's generally no coming back from that.

On those nights the skill players ignored Quinn's north/south exhortations; the whole idea of this hire is that's a nonstarter this coming season. Want to hang on the perimeter and not go to the net or make another pointless senseless pass; take a seat.

Bolts lost the other night, in part because Steve Stamkos made an idiotic cross ice pass when a simple dump or a shot on net would have been fine and dandy. Cooper benched him for a time. It's not a small thing to let your stars focus, to know what the plan is and who is in charge. Quinn either never did it, or was rebuffed form doing so. That has to change. And if that means some players who won't buy in need to experience Buffalo or Winnipeg firsthand, so be it.

Kakko should be fine. His eyeball improvement was parallel to his analytic improvement.

I'm thinking about Buchevich making a "tik tac toe" gesture after scoring. That won't endear him to Gallant.

Desultory play by Kreider and Miller will not go over well.

To me, his success will depend on not being a control freak. Some guys, like Panarin, Fox and perhaps LaF, you need to just back off and let them play their game.

Some players will blossom under him and some will wilt. We can only home it's more of the former.

I would have liked to have heard his answer to the question, "What have you learned from your previous assignments and what would you do differently now?"

Not if "playing their game" is doing the Jeffrey Toobin on the perimeter all night.

is it odd that the team hasn't officially announced the news yet?

Conspiracy theory, Gallant himself leaked the story to Brooksie. Brooksie reports it, fans get excited, and now the team HAS to move forward with hiring

This is how it always goes... He'll have a presser on Thursday or something.

is it odd that the team hasn't officially announced the news yet?

Conspiracy theory, Gallant himself leaked the story to Brooksie. Brooksie reports it, fans get excited, and now the team HAS to move forward with hiring

But what they didn't count on:

The music hits, and the entire crew of Degeneration X stands at the top of the ramp.....

Then Shawn Michaels comes swinging in on the high wire cable....he lands in the middle of the ring, then gives Uncle Larry some Sweet Chin Music...he falls to the mat flipping around like a flounder & the crowd goes nuts!!

Then Triple H for good measure runs in and drops the Pedigree on Gallant...

A masked man then appears out of the darkness, and everyone around awaits to hear the toll of the bell....but it doesn't sound...Jim Ross: "is it????....can it be??? It's....It's HIM!!"

Jerry Lawlor eeeks like a little girl and runs for cover...again!!

The masked stranger slowly walks to the ring, and is helped in the ring by Razor Ramon....

He slowly takes off the mask and reveals himself to be the Golden Child.....

"Everyone...the newest member of DX: Rod Brind'amour!!!!!!!!!"

...and then I woke up!!! :rofl:

• Like 1

But what they didn't count on:

The music hits, and the entire crew of Degeneration X stands at the top of the ramp.....

Then Shawn Michaels comes swinging in on the high wire cable....he lands in the middle of the ring, then gives Uncle Larry some Sweet Chin Music...he falls to the mat flipping around like a flounder & the crowd goes nuts!!

Then Triple H for good measure runs in and drops the Pedigree on Gallant...

A masked man then appears out of the darkness, and everyone around awaits to hear the toll of the bell....but it doesn't sound...Jim Ross: "is it????....can it be??? It's....It's HIM!!"

Jerry Lawlor eeeks like a little girl and runs for cover...again!!

The masked stranger slowly walks to the ring, and is helped in the ring by Razor Ramon....

He slowly takes off the mask and reveals himself to be the Golden Child.....

"Everyone...the newest member of DX: Rod Brind'amour!!!!!!!!!"

...and then I woke up!!! :rofl:

Someone stop refilling Ozzy's glass please

• Like 1

“He is tough but friendly and he is honest with the players,” Jagr told The Post on Tuesday from his home in the Czech Republic. “In my opinion, with the players having so much power, that is the way a coach has to be. You can’t threaten to send players down or take away their ice time. That does not work.

“It’s going to be good for the players, and the star players are going to like it because he knows how to relate to them,” said Jagr, who at age 49 will begin his 23rd pro season late this summer, playing for his hometown Kladno team of which he is the owner.

“And the reason for that is that he was a very good player, he was a star in the NHL, playing with a star like Stevie Yzerman in Detroit. So he knows what the stars need. Nobody can really tell you that. It’s something you have to feel. It’s something you have to know. You need the personal experience. That’s a big advantage.”

Gallant had an 11-year career in the NHL as a power winger, spending nine seasons with the Red Wings before finishing in Tampa Bay. He recorded 211 goals and 480 points in 615 games, scoring between 34 and 39 goals four straight seasons beginning with 1986-87.

“He knows what the stars need, but if they are not playing well, it doesn’t matter who they are, they won’t get the normal ice time,” Jagr said. “One of the other things I really like about the way he coaches is that he doesn’t change lines that often. He doesn’t mix up things just to do something.”

https://nypost.com/2021/06/15/gerard-gallant-is-ideal-choice-to-solve-issue-that-haunted-rangers/

There's plenty more insight from Jagr on Gallant in the article.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/15/gerard-gallant-is-ideal-choice-to-solve-issue-that-haunted-rangers/

There's plenty more insight from Jagr on Gallant in the article.

And then theres this gem;

“One of the other things I really like about the way he coaches is that he doesn’t change lines that often. He doesn’t mix up things just to do something.”

Some on here will be very happy

• Like 1