• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#11) Rangers vs. New York Islanders // The Rise of Tony B

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link:

Lol my god talk about trying to look for a positive. It’s a nice little play but still. Not knocking the kid because I don’t think he’s our problem at all but that’s a bit much to hype up back checking of our generational talent.

Lol my god talk about trying to look for a positive. It?s a nice little play but still. Not knocking the kid because I don?t think he?s our problem at all but that?s a bit much to hype up back checking of our generational talent.

Come on that's solid 4th liner stuff right there.

Actually it was a nice play but hardly worth getting excited about imo when he's got so little else to show for the first dozen games.

This is the coach earlier in the day on what he thinks about Hajek--

"We?ve talked about Libor and what we think of him as a player, but he needs to continue to feel the way we do as him as a player,?.. What the fuck does that mean, besides shitting on a young player waiting to get his chance? So Hajek probably wants more responsibility and icetime. Coach doesn't care. Would rather see Jack Johnson.

This kid is going in the expansion draft and will bite this team in the ass. Play him. Stop over evaluating everything and let the kid try to be what HE apparently thinks he can be, to which the coach would rather whittle him down to nothing.

"We’ve talked about Libor and what we think of him as a player, but he needs to continue to feel the way we do as him as a player,”.. What the fuck does that mean, besides shitting on a young player waiting to get his chance? So Hajek probably wants more responsibility and icetime. Coach doesn't care. Would rather see Jack Johnson.

This kid is going in the expansion draft and will bite this team in the ass. Play him. Stop over evaluating everything and let the kid try to be what HE apparently thinks he can be, to which the coach would rather whittle him down to nothing.

I assume he means American

"We’ve talked about Libor and what we think of him as a player, but he needs to continue to feel the way we do as him as a player,”.. What the fuck does that mean, besides shitting on a young player waiting to get his chance? So Hajek probably wants more responsibility and icetime. Coach doesn't care. Would rather see Jack Johnson.

Quinn is saying the opposite. He's saying the Rangers have faith in and expectations of Hajek. It's up to Hajek to play up to his potential after struggling with both his play and confidence last season. The Rangers as an organization have notably been much higher on Libor Hajek than anyone rightfully should be just based on his play and stats. He's particularly low on the totem pole at this point but he's someone whom the Rangers thought had some significant potential. I wouldn't be concerned about Seattle picking him up and turning him into a stud, though. Hajek is John Moore without the shot.

Yeah, I was just going to come in and comment about Lafreniere. I wasn't expecting him to set the league on fire his first year in, but one goal/point in eleven games has been pretty disappointing. The offense as a hole has been pretty disappointing this season. Panarin has looked better. I really though Buchnevich was going to have a really good, consistent season in a contract year. Zibanejad not only really slumping, but almost being non-existent is killing this team. If this was closer to the Mika we saw last season, I'd be willing to even pencil this team in as a playoff team. Also, the lack of net presence/going to the net remains a problem. The Islanders did it twice and scored twice.

I think the goaltending and defense is fine and rounding into form. Terrible turnover on the game-winner, but it's the third pairing and Libor hasn't seen much action this season.

I mean, Zibanejad is pretty much irrelevant, Strome is invisible, Howden is invisible, and Rooney's visible shifts seem to be behind him.

When you have a young team, and your veterans centers arent helping anything, you are going to be extremely inconsistent, and the points are going to come when someone finds a random puck out front.

Every game the team is struggling offense, its because they are playing perimeter hockey. A lot of that has to do with the centers lack of driving the play.

I'm not overthinking last night. A rip on guys, sure. But they didnt play all that bad. Although most here are still in denial, the Islanders are a good team. They were laughed at when they added role players a year ago, and a few of us said they were going to be extremely tough to play against. They have good coaching and based on reactions here and on social media, they have a very effective system.

Rangers had some chances, didnt convert, never got that confidence going, and didnt try hard enough to get to the dirty areas of the ice to win the battles that help you win the tough, close games.

I mean, Zibanejad is pretty much irrelevant, Strome is invisible, Howden is invisible, and Rooney's visible shifts seem to be behind him.

When you have a young team, and your veterans centers arent helping anything, you are going to be extremely inconsistent, and the points are going to come when someone finds a random puck out front.

Every game the team is struggling offense, its because they are playing perimeter hockey. A lot of that has to do with the centers lack of driving the play.

I'm not overthinking last night. A rip on guys, sure. But they didnt play all that bad. Although most here are still in denial, the Islanders are a good team. They were laughed at when they added role players a year ago, and a few of us said they were going to be extremely tough to play against. They have good coaching and based on reactions here and on social media, they have a very effective system.

Rangers had some chances, didnt convert, never got that confidence going, and didnt try hard enough to get to the dirty areas of the ice to win the battles that help you win the tough, close games.

That's a pretty good evaluation of last night, Josh. :thumbs:

We did have our chances though; The 2 breakaways, Kakko had a good chance in the 3rd and Bitetto had one right after him. Not to mention the 2 power plays that we failed to generate any momentum from in the first. The Isles are a good team; They're pretty much the same team that lost to the eventual Stanley Cup Champs, so it's a good measuring stick for the Rangers.

The defensive zone coverage and goaltending, I thought was very good last night. We played basically 55 minutes of very good "playoff type" defense. I also love how good Shesty is getting at being the 3rd defenseman with his handling of the puck. He made a shit load of the Isles dump in's easier for the Defense by stopping the puck behind the net, and making little outlet passes on others. A little "Hextall-like" ;)

Something I noticed, on the second goal though; there was a delayed penalty on the Rangers and they had 4 men back against 1 (Clutterbuck). They all just kinda stopped, then Martin swooped in behind them and redirected that one home. Quinn didn't mention that in the presser, but I that's what I saw.

This felt like a game where the Rangers deserved better than they got. They needed to go a step further, and Varlamov was great.

I think you're right - we need centers doing more to drive our play. We're really strong on the perimeter, but we can't seem to make those perimeter plays count because there's no threat of a goal like what Cizikas did to us - nobody's getting in dirty for that rebound.

Third jerseys are terrible on TV. They look black, which is always bad on TV, and the red and grey numbers simply aren't visible. Can't keep track of the players.

That should have been pretty obvious. The shadow on the original Liberty ones was a bright silver that really popped on TV. These look muddled.

This felt like a game where the Rangers deserved better than they got. They needed to go a step further, and Varlamov was great.

I think you're right - we need centers doing more to drive our play. We're really strong on the perimeter, but we can't seem to make those perimeter plays count because there's no threat of a goal like what Cizikas did to us - nobody's getting in dirty for that rebound.

Yes and no. Offensively - yes. Varlamov was great.

Defensively - there were a lot of issues. Two plays really stick out in my mind. One was Zibanejad's strange back check, then weakly 'Ol?'d' the guy, and they went down on a 2 on 1. 2.) Panarin dogging it up the ice, not supporting the puck, the Islanders easily broke out and went on an odd man rush. Panarin dogged it back on defense, until the very last second - stuck out his stick and broke up a play. They Rangers had several last second/lucky blocked passes that were tap in goals for the Islanders.

We needed to score on one of the breakaways. Coming up empty was a gut punch.

Not scoring on some really good opportunities is another hit.

LAF has not been slotted where he can succeed. I get that he should be doing more and that will come. The skill is there because we get to see flashes of it like summer lightening.

Kreider showed up with legs moving right from the start. That?s what we want to see.

Shesty dialed in and looking much more comfortable in net.

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID get the anal lube ready for the upcoming Boston games. It?s gonna? hurt!