Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 185

Thread: A More Forceful Decision Is Needed With Lundqvist

  1. #1
    (╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,178
    Rep Power
    169

    A More Forceful Decision Is Needed With Lundqvist

    While Iím aware this is totally a long shot but we at least can have the conversation. Hank declined to be traded when we approached him a couple of years ago at the first sign of the rebuild. That was his right. Fast forward to now though and we have a situation where his presence alone still here is going to negatively affect the future of our team. This is the franchise he said he loves, the organization he wants to potentially retire with, etc. We are not in a position where next year we are a cup contender in his last year. Heís not going to get a new contract from us after next year and if he did, itís only because we traded away one of our equally performing but much younger version in Georgiev.

    So what is the solution? Who knows. But I do know that keeping him here is not in our franchiseís best interest. Iím not even sure why he plays anymore. He is not washed up but he is stunting the development every time he steps on the ice for a start. Itís playing time better used on either Shesh or Georgie. To me, itís time right now, not at the end of the season, to tell Hank he is in fact being bought out and we are not trading Georgie. Put it in his camp that he can get bought out, traded, or retire, explaining that retiring is the option that helps the NY Rangers the most including a lifetime job with this organization and a retired jersey/Hank day next season for all to see. If he loves this team as he says he does, he should take some time off with his family and see the big picture here.

    If he balks or gets offended, then fine. Buy him out and a few years later itíll all blow over ala Brodeur years ago. It still gives us an extra 3m cap space next year which we probably use on keeping Georgiev around. The following year we take a 1.5m cap penalty. I can live with that. Itís time. It really is. Iím sorry Hank, but time doesnít stop for anyone. If we were sitting in a comfortable playoff spot then Iíd understand keeping him around and letting him get one last playoff moment. We have catered to him for quite a long time. Heís been paid handsomely, had certain coaches rumored to be dismissed partly with his blessing, have given his tenure here everything he could ever have asked for. Itís just time to be a bit more organizationally selfish.

  2. #2
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,689
    Rep Power
    403
    Henrik isn’t holding this team back from anything. And he wont next season, either.

    More like, Panarin is holding them back from a lottery pick.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #3
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,208
    Rep Power
    154
    I'm inclined to agree. The guy can still play well though, so I don't think retirement is realistic.

    I think the Rangers should make a decision based on the offers they get for Georgiev. If the offers are crap and not worth his value, then I think you have no choice but to go to Hank. If they get a good offer, then Hank stays. They should not trade Georgiev for peanuts to accommodate one more year of Lundqvist.

  4. #4
    (╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,178
    Rep Power
    169
    Well I disagree considering we have to trade a 23 year old goalie that is still in development.
    A tandem of Georgiev / Shesh looks a hell of a lot better for the next few years until you see which definitely trends higher

  5. #5
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,689
    Rep Power
    403
    If I can get assets for an average backup, at best, I taken it, especially when there are 4 other goalies developing in the pipeline

    If Lundqvist returns more via trade, I'd do that... But he won't
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #6
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,689
    Rep Power
    403
    If I can get assets for an average backup, at best, I taken it, especially when there are 4 other goalies developing in the pipeline

    If Lundqvist returns more via trade, I'd do that... But he won't
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  7. #7
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,876
    Rep Power
    374
    There aren't four goalies in the pipeline, just as we aren't nearly stacked on D prospects as some swear we are.

    There's Tyler Wall. That's it. That's the whole list.

    Lindbom is a complete unknown and Huska sucks.

  8. #8
    Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    2,565
    Rep Power
    78
    Even though I know it's a long shot, I really would like to see Hank win a Cup. He's done so much for this franchise and for NY over his career, and it really would be a fitting final piece of the prize for the man.

    Of course if he gets traded, that opens up a lot of different possibilities as well. 8.5 million off the cap is just what the doctor ordered around here....needless to say finding a long term home for Georgie as well, where we can have a very talented tandem of young goaltenders.

  9. #9
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,689
    Rep Power
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    There aren't four goalies in the pipeline, just as we aren't nearly stacked on D prospects as some swear we are.

    There's Tyler Wall. That's it. That's the whole list.

    Lindbom is a complete unknown and Huska sucks.
    huska puts up better stats than Georgiev. At worst, they're the same player.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  10. #10
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,587
    Rep Power
    174
    Yeah. I mentioned this in the last GDT. We're at the point where the players who are only here because their contract doesn't allow them to be anywhere else are losing the team games. Notably Staal, Smith, and Hank. I'm happy for Hank that he got that shut out against Detroit, but he's proven all season long that he's just not at top caliber goalie any longer and the team needs to make some forceful moves.

    I don't know why we're okay keeping Staal, Smith, and Hank around while being forced to ship out useful players because we can't afford them. Tony D shouldn't even be a discussion. He should be resigned. But because we have about 15m tied up in 3 useless players Tony D could be a casualty.

    I don't know what the fix is, but the Rangers should getting rid of these guys. Get creative. Be forceful with them. It's hard, but it has to happen. I know Hank is a legend, and that's worth something, but it's not worth fucking up the long term future of this organization because you don't want to hurt his feelings.
    GORTON 2020

  11. #11
    (╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,178
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Even though I know it's a long shot, I really would like to see Hank win a Cup. He's done so much for this franchise and for NY over his career, and it really would be a fitting final piece of the prize for the man.

    Of course if he gets traded, that opens up a lot of different possibilities as well. 8.5 million off the cap is just what the doctor ordered around here....needless to say finding a long term home for Georgie as well, where we can have a very talented tandem of young goaltenders.
    The only way he gets trade is if we retain salary. If he retires I’ll personsally give him a Police escort to help file his paperwork just so we have that extra 8.5m cap space.

  12. #12
    (╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,178
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Yeah. I mentioned this in the last GDT. We're at the point where the players who are only here because their contract doesn't allow them to be anywhere else are losing the team games. Notably Staal, Smith, and Hank. I'm happy for Hank that he got that shut out against Detroit, but he's proven all season long that he's just not at top caliber goalie any longer and the team needs to make some forceful moves.

    I don't know why we're okay keeping Staal, Smith, and Hank around while being forced to ship out useful players because we can't afford them. Tony D shouldn't even be a discussion. He should be resigned. But because we have about 15m tied up in 3 useless players Tony D could be a casualty.

    I don't know what the fix is, but the Rangers should getting rid of these guys. Get creative. Be forceful with them. It's hard, but it has to happen. I know Hank is a legend, and that's worth something, but it's not worth fucking up the long term future of this organization because you don't want to hurt his feelings.
    Yeah this is my exact point. His presence hurts us just because his money so desperately can be used elsewhere and he’s the biggest hit of the bad contracts and is even putting us in a position where we will trade someone 15 years younger because we have no room for him. We lose one goalie and probably have to lose another one of a Strome, ADA, or Kreider because of his contract. Maybe they have approached him this year. Maybe they haven’t. At some point though before this deadline, I just wish the conversation would be had that said “ Henrik, if you love this organization as you say you do, you do realize the best case for our future is you announcing you plan on retiring this offseason and accepting a front office position for let’s say, around x millions of dollars” just so we can use that cap money to help us contend sooner rather than later. Its either that or be bought out and flounder this offseason hoping someone offers you a 2m one year deal to hang on with a cup hopeful. Ball is in your court Hank. Btw, on the way out let Marc know we are ready to see him.

  13. #13
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,876
    Rep Power
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    huska puts up better stats than Georgiev. At worst, they're the same player.
    I respectfully disagree.

  14. #14
    Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    2,565
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    The only way he gets trade is if we retain salary. If he retires I’ll personsally give him a Police escort to help file his paperwork just so we have that extra 8.5m cap space.
    The retention of salary doesn't really help much, but I don't think he's the type to call it quits...ever! LOL He's way too competitive, Keirik. But if he did, I'd ride shotgun and buy the beer!!

  15. #15
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,409
    Rep Power
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    huska puts up better stats than Georgiev. At worst, they're the same player.
    Georgiev put up better numbers on a worse Hartford team. Huska is just fine.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Seaside Park NJ
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    45
    The whole they need to be forceful with Hank is rather comical. If he wants out he'll let them know and until then there's no being forceful whatsoever. The ball is in his court and he owns it.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,208
    Rep Power
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    The whole they need to be forceful with Hank is rather comical. If he wants out he'll let them know and until then there's no being forceful whatsoever. The ball is in his court and he owns it.
    Unless the Rangers buy him out. Then he has no say.

  18. #18
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,409
    Rep Power
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Unless the Rangers buy him out. Then he has no say.
    Which would never happen.

  19. #19
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    10,775
    Rep Power
    108
    Common sense is that Hank is/has been on the downturn of his career the last couple of years especially with the rebuild, and the D making him hung out to dry b/c they suck, and that it would be the smart move for the NYR organization to trade him if he accepted. Hank has done so much for this organization since 2005 that he has the right to honor his contract that he signed and not be moved. Who says that Hank is holding the team back? On the ice he's not the same caliber goalie but we don't know how much he does behind the scenes, in the locker room. Who would be better to mentor Shesterkin/Georgiev than a future HOFer night in and night out? Having Lundqvist the rest of the season could have lasting postive impacts on Sheshterkin and/or Georgiev for the long term. Also, if the Rangers would go the buyout route, IMO it would be a PR nightmare. I think most people in this group would praise it, however I would consider yourself diehards, but the people who go to games, watch from afar, casual rangers fans I would think outnumber a true diehard fanbase and would voice their opinion on how the Rangers organization could not be loyal to the goalie that carried this team on his back for a number of years. With that, as much as I love Hank to finish his career on the NYR, I do hope that he comes to terms and asks to be traded to a contender to try and win a cup ala Ray Bourque. At least that would be on his terms.

  20. #20
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    6,761
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Henrik isn’t holding this team back from anything. And he wont next season, either.

    More like, Panarin is holding them back from a lottery pick.
    he's definitely holding the team back by playing because they're not playing the future. Henrik is the past. time for both parties to move on.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •