• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A More Forceful Decision Is Needed With Lundqvist

Keirik

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So which user here is Larry again? LTF?
Seriously.

Guys between this thread and the trade Trouba thread, of it's not clear Larry shops here for his content... Then I'm not sure what to tell you. This guy hasn't been right since be said Dan Boyle sucked.

Seriously.

Guys between this thread and the trade Trouba thread, of it's not clear Larry shops here for his content... Then I'm not sure what to tell you. This guy hasn't been right since be said Dan Boyle sucked.

Dave’s not here

Seriously.

Can we document the pattern? I think Phil deserves royalties and/or damages.

Seriously.

I guess he laugh reading comments like this lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's not so much that as it is I'm looking bigger picture IMO. Hank in no way is part of our future. Georgie probably isn't either but i do think he's a very capable NHL goalie. Keeping him and trading him a year or two down the road probably brings you more than it does today in my mind. Besides, as I also said, even if u look at it as not doing this to keep Georgie and instead gave the job to Shesh and brought up a Huska at 995k, the extra 2m cap space csn mean the difference in retaining an ADA or Strome when otherwise they might fall just short.

As for the good soldier. I mean be helped run Torts out of town. He's also been treated very very well here. They made several cup runs with him. It just didn't work. Everyone has their time. It's now for him. It's just at a point where he detracts to this team more than he helps. Him and Staal both need to go for the good of our future. Better or equal players in the history of this sport have been cut, traded, not tendered, etc.

I'm just not willing to see a point where someone like ADA or Stroke gets away because we "owe" the King his Swan song

He's not a part of the future, but he's not in the way. You don't make a PR mess with a team icon. You just don't. You ask him if he wants to go, or if they can ask around the league for a contender to ship him to. You don't demand anything. Treating him like a legend lends more to the perception of the class act the organization is. It will help more in drawing future free agents and coaches.

It sucks his cap hit is big. I get it. It's just something they have to put up with for one more season. I can't think of an iconic player that has been forced out the way you are suggesting.

Also, I'd say the whole team ran Torts out of town. More Richards, Nash and Girardi than Lundqvist. I'd say Lundqvist probably benefitted from how Torts teams played.

It's worth remembering that Hank is not here now as a function of loyalty so much as the structural dictates of an era with long term contracts, NMCs and caps. Before that stuff he'd have been gone, perhaps not long after the start of the rebuild. Dispatching him now not only allows us to keep a very good young goalie, at least until his value increases, but also a good player like ADA, Strome or perhaps even Kreider. Hank's discipline and mental game is the best of any player on the team in the 52 years that I have watched. I love the man, but however good he still is, and he still is good, he has outlived his usefulness. We've cut loose two captains in recent year, and the second, McDonaugh, was not even in the last year of his contract. Being a credit to the team is not a guarantee that you will be kept when exigencies dictate otherwise.

I think even if the Rangers didn't have the current buyouts on the books, they would still keep him and politely ask him on how to move him. I really feel like it's a OR thing, and I can't disagree with it. They will buy out Smith or Staal before they force Lundqvist out. It's just not going to happen.