• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A More Forceful Decision Is Needed With Lundqvist

Keirik

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you think you where getting a first round pick,get real

I didn't think that, but reports were saying the asking price was a top six forward.

His potential worth, is probably much lower than it was a month ago. Right now I keep him because his worth can potentially be built back up to something worth moving him for.

He's not a part of the future, but he's not in the way. You don't make a PR mess with a team icon. You just don't. You ask him if he wants to go, or if they can ask around the league for a contender to ship him to. You don't demand anything. Treating him like a legend lends more to the perception of the class act the organization is. It will help more in drawing future free agents and coaches.

It sucks his cap hit is big. I get it. It's just something they have to put up with for one more season. I can't think of an iconic player that has been forced out the way you are suggesting.

Also, I'd say the whole team ran Torts out of town. More Richards, Nash and Girardi than Lundqvist. I'd say Lundqvist probably benefitted from how Torts teams played.

Callahan was a team captain when he got traded. Everyone knows that it is a business and there is always someone gunning for your job. The decision has everything to do with the present and the future, nothing to do with the past.

Retirement ceremonies, bringing back the 1994 team, bringing back teams on their 5/10/20 year anniversary, PR/coaching/mentoring jobs with the club, that's how organizations treat former players well. On the ice, it's all about fielding the best possible team.

• Like 1

Callahan was a team captain when he got traded. Everyone knows that it is a business and there is always someone gunning for your job. The decision has everything to do with the present and the future, nothing to do with the past.

Retirement ceremonies, bringing back the 1994 team, bringing back teams on their 5/10/20 year anniversary, PR/coaching/mentoring jobs with the club, that's how organizations treat former players well. On the ice, it's all about fielding the best possible team.

:repped:

I didn't think that, but reports were saying the asking price was a top six forward.

His potential worth, is probably much lower than it was a month ago. Right now I keep him because his worth can potentially be built back up to something worth moving him for.

i understand ,but the nhl and the vrangers know what he is worth

How do you know? You have a link?

Have you seen his last 10+ starts? He's been getting shellacked. He really hasn't been good. I hope I'm wrong and someone wants him, but he's your typical backup. There's plenty of 24 year old or younger goalies out there with the same numbers, and nobody is talking them up the way this guy is talked up. There's nothing special about his numbers.

I'd say there's a gigantic difference between the legacy that is Henrik Lundqvist, and the gritty "we gotta name a captain" Callahan. Callahan got traded. We aren't talking trade as a bad thing. This ultimatum, this threatening him and pushing him out the door is what I'm saying is not going to happen, not should it.

I couldn't disagree with you more on how much of a PR nightmare it would be to force Lundqvist out the door the way it's being discussed.

I have already said a trade would be fine.

i understand ,but the nhl and the vrangers know what he is worth

? Meaning what? Yes, the NHL knows what he's worth. Hence why he's still taking up a roster spot for the Rangers.. The Rangers think/thought he was worth more than what other GMs were apparently offering.

How does that equal the NHL and the Rangers knowing what he's worth?????

The day a professional sports organization cares more about public relations than building a championship contender is the day they become the laughing stock of the league.

A trade is unrealistic. Lundqvist would have to want to leave Rangers, Rangers would have to eat salary, and it would have to be a team that thought that he was the missing piece for a deep playoff run. That scenario probably does not exist.

Very few athletes get the Ray Bourque championship farewell. It's hard on elite athletes as their career draws to a close.

https://believeperform.com/life-after-sport-depression-in-retired-athletes/

'Boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard famously quoted, “Nothing could satisfy me outside the ring… there is nothing in life that can compare to becoming a world champion, having your hand raised in that moment of glory, with thousands, millions of people cheering you on.” '

Quinn has to go into the locker room, look 20 players in the eye, and put out lineups that give the Rangers their best chance to win. Increasingly, that means Lundqvist is not in net.

The day a professional sports organization cares more about public relations than building a championship contender is the day they become the laughing stock of the league.

A trade is unrealistic. Lundqvist would have to want to leave Rangers, Rangers would have to eat salary, and it would have to be a team that thought that he was the missing piece for a deep playoff run. That scenario probably does not exist.

Very few athletes get the Ray Bourque championship farewell. It's hard on elite athletes as their career draws to a close.

'Boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard famously quoted, “Nothing could satisfy me outside the ring… there is nothing in life that can compare to becoming a world champion, having your hand raised in that moment of glory, with thousands, millions of people cheering you on.” '

Quinn has to go into the locker room, look 20 players in the eye, and put out lineups that give the Rangers their best chance to win. Increasingly, that means Lundqvist is not in net.

Sorry, but that's not true. He gives the team as good a chance to win as either of the other 2. Where he hurts is the cap, and his games mean less experience for Shesty, which is whatever IMO.

Georgiev is no more "the future" than Lundy.

Shesterkin is the best goaltender on the club. I don't know why you refuse to accept this other than to be contrarian.
Because it's not true lol. Shesty 6 games don't change anything. It's 6 fucking games lol.

Also what I said is, Lundqvist gives them as good a chance to win as the other two... Which at this point is accurate.

Was Brian Leetch not traded? Sure it was very unpopular but acting as if it's a PR nightmare and the fan base will burn down MSG is nuts. Christ he won a cup and the Conn Smythe. We still chant Potvin Sucks. The fan base would get over Henrik being asked to move on too.
  • Like 1

No it doesn't. Can we stop acting like his career is over and that he doesn't have anything left? I get it. His cap hit sucks.

Are the Rangers trying to build a championship caliber team for this season or next? The answer is no. They are rebuilding.

Lundqvist is on a different level of legend. He gets so much clout and respect. He dictates his future and I believe the Rangers have given him that power. He may very well change his mind and accept a trade. But the second someone demands anything otherwise from him, the media and half the fan base will go nuts.

We all know the team would be better off without his contract on the books. It's just something they won't do. They have this super moral thing going on with him. They will do it old school for him. With class.

Was Brian Leetch not traded? Sure it was very unpopular but acting as if it's a PR nightmare and the fan base will burn down MSG is nuts. Christ he won a cup and the Conn Smythe. We still chant Potvin Sucks. The fan base would get over Henrik being asked to move on too.

Yeahhhh. Ummm

I have already said a trade would be fine.

Yeahhhh. Ummm

I didn't quote you dude. However I'll play along. A trade would only happen basically by force of the Rangers saying "you aren't going to play next year so let us know what you want to do"

Hell a buyout does Henrik more of a favor since he gets his money and a total free agent to dictate his own options even moreso.

I didn't quote you dude. However I'll play along. A trade would only happen basically by force of the Rangers saying "you aren't going to play next year so let us know what you want to do"

Hell a buyout does Henrik more of a favor since he gets his money and a total free agent to dictate his own options even moreso.

Well, you didn't quote anyone... It kinda helps people understand what or who a post is directed at.

A trade would be a mutual agreement that he would get a last shot at a cup to a team he agreed to go to. Not this stuff where you threaten to sit him for weeks, or insult his legacy and his connection with the team with a buyout.

Well, you didn't quote anyone... It kinda helps people understand what or who a post is directed at.

A trade would be a mutual agreement that he would get a last shot at a cup to a team he agreed to go to. Not this stuff where you threaten to sit him for weeks, or insult his legacy and his connection with the team with a buyout.

I appreciate the advice. I figured I created the thread and said a more forceful decision needed to be made so it wasn’t necessary to reiterate my stance on the King

I’m in favor of a buyout. A time comes for every player in every organization. It’s not always mutual and our offseason is largely affected by Hanks cap hit. Cutting that in half would be huge.

I appreciate the advice. I figured I created the thread and said a more forceful decision needed to be made so it wasn’t necessary to reiterate my stance on the King

I’m in favor of a buyout. A time comes for every player in every organization. It’s not always mutual and our offseason is largely affected by Hanks cap hit. Cutting that in half would be huge.

True

Look at the names around the league that have been bought out. His legacy is secure. Professional athletes get told their time is up, before they are ready to retire. I'm mystified as to how a transaction in the best interests of the Rangers is an insult. Lots of elite athletes would play into their 40s or 50s if they were the ones to decide when their time is up.

Look at the names around the league that have been bought out. His legacy is secure. Professional athletes get told their time is up, before they are ready to retire. I'm mystified as to how a transaction in the best interests of the Rangers is an insult. Lots of elite athletes would play into their 40s or 50s if they were the ones to decide when their time is up.
What athlete of Hank's stardom+franchise cache, who can still perform, were bought out?

People want to act like he's some subpar schlub but he's not. He can still play.

This team can't defend and bleeds shots and high danger chances.

His salary is prohibitive but his play is adequate especially if you're starter is on ELC. Look around the league... Lots of teams spending 8-9 mil at the goalie position.

All hail the goalie with one Vezina, a single finals appearance, a penchant for letting in back breaking goals in from behind the goal line, who handles the puck like a pee wee house league D man, and who hasn't been good since getting embarrassed by Pittsburgh 4 years ago. He must never be dictated to. He's The King of the tri-state area and Sweden. Nobody giving a shit about him elsewhere.
  • Like 1

What athlete of Hank's stardom+franchise cache, who can still perform, were bought out?

People want to act like he's some subpar schlub but he's not. He can still play.

This team can't defend and bleeds shots and high danger chances.

His salary is prohibitive but his play is adequate especially if you're starter is on ELC. Look around the league... Lots of teams spending 8-9 mil at the goalie position.

I'll agree that the biggest issue on the Rangers is the defensive zone play, particularly the defensemen.

His salary is prohibitive given his level of play, which is why it's unlikely he could be traded without the Rangers eating salary.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/goaltender/

1 Carey Price $10,500,000

2 Sergei Bobrovsky $10,000,000

3 Henrik Lundqvist $8,500,000

4 Tuukka Rask $7,000,000

5 Marc-Andre Fleury $7,000,000

6 John Gibson $6,400,000

7 Connor Hellebuyck $6,166,667

8 Braden Holtby $6,100,000

9 Corey Crawford $6,000,000

10 Cory Schneider $6,000,000

11 Jonathan Quick $5,800,000

12 Martin Jones $5,750,000

So assuming Georgiev gets traded, you are paying a lot of money to Lundqvist to backup Shesterkin and mentor. I understand that the most likely scenario is Lundqvist is here for the next 1.5 years, getting at least 20 starts a year. And I'm OK if this is a hockey decision. Just there's no place in professional hockey for keeping someone on a roster hoping that they can finally get a Cup, or making present/future decisions based on the past. A team has to believe that management is working toward building a contender - otherwise you develop a franchise with a losing culture, not where you want to be with the young players that are developing with the Rangers organization.

All hail the goalie with one Vezina, a single finals appearance, a penchant for letting in back breaking goals in from behind the goal line, who handles the puck like a pee wee house league D man, and who hasn't been good since getting embarrassed by Pittsburgh 4 years ago. He must never be dictated to. He's The King of the tri-state area and Sweden. Nobody giving a shit about him elsewhere.

tenor.gif