• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Grading David Quinn as the Rangers Head Coach

CBrowningPI

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't expect this team to be this competitive. Has been way more aggressive in every way than AV . The late blown leads are a concern, but in a lot of those games (Winnipeg comes to mind) NYR had no business having a lead. Think he has done an excellent job given the talent level. I'm glad they circled back to him and that he's here; -A.

Play the kids over worthless plugs - fail

Improve the defense - fail

Try harder - based on number of games they didn?t show up, and number of blown leads, I?m not granting him a point here

What else did we expect him to improve over AV?

Overall: B -

Probably a little lenient on the first year coach with that, too.

I expected him to establish accountability and he has done that in spades.

Not sure who’s playing that shouldn’t be and which young kids are getting lost. I don’t see that complaint but that’s my opinion only. Even sitting a chytil and such I think is smart. Nhl season is long and can be overwhelming, getting a night off here and there makes sense to me.

B

Doing extremely well with some of the "old" young guys like Kreider, Hayes, Zibanejad. Not doing as well with the young players, which is supposed to be the point of this whole thing. Kind of makes me think we will keep these guys together, save Zuccarello, and go big in the off-season. Youth be damned.

Try harder - based on number of games they didn?t show up, and number of blown leads, I?m not granting him a point here

What kids should be played over veterans?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What kids should be played over veterans?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The only one I can think of is Hajek possibly playing instead of guys like Smith and McQuaid. But there is certainly an argument for giving the kid a year in the A to hone his game before moving to the big club.

The other one is Andersson, but in his case it's the problem is the process rather than actual paying time for me. They decided to cut him from camp and send him to the A to develop his offensive game. That was a sound decision imo. Then, when someone went down (Buch?) they went into "next man up" thinking instead of sticking with the plan for Andersson. He was centering the Pack's 1st line, producing at around a ppg clip and getting big minutes every night. I really don't see the point in calling him up to play 08:30 a night on the 4th line. Any number of players could have done that whilst Andersson stayed and worked on his game. It all feels like a pointless exercise.

That being said, Quinn has done really well so far. He's made the team harder to beat, there's accountability, it's a very hard working team and he was able to put his stamp on the team very quickly. An encouraging start. Results wise it's too good. B+.

B+

The team is more competitive than they should be, and while a lot of that is on Hank, some is on the attention to physicality in front of the net and the uptempo play across the ice that we've seen in spurts. I'd like to see that effort get more consistent, but I didn't expect it to be resolved overnight or even over a single season. I don't mind the mixing in of vets and youth or giving youth games off here and there so long as they don't sit too long. That's part of a good development process, imo.

Only knock is the handling of Andersson, which has been addressed above, so I won't rehash.

I'd give him an A-. i like the way he is preaching accountability and believe he has the players buying into his program.

Defense really needs to be addressed but that is more on Gorton as the coach can only play with what he is given.

According to Pierre on NHL network, the impression from GM's around the league is that our rebuild is ahead of schedule.

A-

He?s come in to a situation that was not of his making and injected a breath of fresh leadership. I?m hopeful that everything he has said to this point continues and understand that it will be a 2-3 year process. In that third year, it?s all on him...the system, the identity of the squad and the W-L record.

The demerit from a solid ?A? is the consistent lack of physical play by the defense in front of Hank. Where is that and why can?t he get guys to do that? Hit or sit.

I?m excited by the seismic shift from the AV era - a guy who I liked following the Torts dictatorship - who I also liked at first. And maybe there lies the rub? All new brooms work brilliantly at first.

C

They look exactly the same as they did last year. They don't play harder, they aren't more gritty, still one and done in the offensive zone, Cody McLeod is still here. They're marginally better in front of their own net.

It's hard for a coach to make an impression quickly with this type of roster, but they don't look any different to me. Guys are still disinterested as often as they were before.

Make no mistake, I really like Quinn! A LOT!

But this grade is kinda slanted a little bit;

C+

I like his discipline, and his holding the players accountable. But this is not the roster of players for his mentality. What he's done with these guys so far is pretty good, but so many changes need to be made, that it's more of an incomplete grade right now.

This team still has to unload a lot of veteran players, and underachievers to get to the types that Quinn will be VERY successful with. And yes, he will be very successful here....but it's going to take time.

As far as the gameplay goes, there is a ton to be desired; They get outshot by a pretty wide margin every night. Not only that, but their ability to fire a one-timer is gone. I see it maybe once a game. They don't hit enough (finish checks), and they simply don't get the puck deep. Way too often turning it over in the neutral zone. I'm not even going into not being able to hold a lead, because they shouldn't even have a lead in the first place with this squad.

To me, they play like a bunch of pussies, and it's not even close to a playoff caliber team....and yet due to Hank, they are contending for a playoff spot at the moment.

If this team makes the playoffs, it only hurts them in the long run;

I'm really not a fan of many players on this roster right now and it's really hard to root for this array of pansies. I like a lot of the kids, and yes they're going to make mistakes, but it's the same shit every game.

They pass up too many opportunities to shoot the puck, drive to the net, and unless it's Kreider...get a rebound or a deflection.

Too many passes and holding the puck 'til they turn it over. I'm fucking sick of it! ...and for Christ sake...hit someone!

I can't wait 'til we get to the deadline, I swear to god!

I'd give him an A-. i like the way he is preaching accountability and believe he has the players buying into his program.

Defense really needs to be addressed but that is more on Gorton as the coach can only play with what he is given.

According to Pierre on NHL network, the impression from GM's around the league is that our rebuild is ahead of schedule.

I couldn’t disagree more. I don’t even think it’s really begun. Trading 4 players is not a rebuild. This team without Hank cannot self sustain. Considering he’s soon to be out of the picture there’s a lot of work to be done.

Wonder what they mean by "ahead of schedule," because assuming they're sellers at the deadline, this team is going to get worse before it gets better, and it's bad as it is.

This might reference that they're trying to buy via trade or will be players in FA. I think that's more likely, than talking about the current state of the team.

Try harder - based on number of games they didn’t show up, and number of blown leads, I’m not granting him a point here

Cannot expect Quinn to forcefeed Anderson and Chytil into the lineup if they don't produce. If Gorton isn't getting talented players and hasn't turned old guys like Zuccarello and Hayes into assets that's not really the coach's job.

Cannot expect Quinn to forcefeed Anderson and Chytil into the lineup if they don't produce. If Gorton isn't getting talented players and hasn't turned old guys like Zuccarello and Hayes into assets that's not really the coach's job.

Also, no one said "Play the kids" was a mandate from anyone. "Develop youth" isn't the same as just throw anyone under 25 in the lineup because, rebuild.

I think Zucc is what he is right now...a low return asset who's just blocking the development of these kids. He's playing totally uninspired hockey, and aside from the gimme goal he popped in the other night, he's been invisible. The sad part about Zucc is that he's going to net us shit, but when he gets dealt to a contender, he's most likely going to find his game again, and probably in a big way.

Zucc is a LOSE/LOSE for us right now in my mind!

Hayes will be our crowned jewel at the deadline I suspect...I just hope we can deal off some old(er) players and ditch a few shitty contracts along the way.

I know...far fetched, but a guy can hope!

Neither is developing on the 4th line with McLeod.

Took Chytil awhile to get an opportunity to develop offensively. When given a shot, it worked. Now hes off the PP, and benched. Buchnevich still in and out of the line up, and moved up and down, something AV got shit on for.

The biggest snub might be DeAngelo.

Though, Howden was given a shot, as was Pionk.

Wonder what they mean by "ahead of schedule," because assuming they're sellers at the deadline, this team is going to get worse before it gets better, and it's bad as it is.

This might reference that they're trying to buy via trade or will be players in FA. I think that's more likely, than talking about the current state of the team.

It seems to me that whenever pundits/commentators/analysts talk about this they're referring to the standings. Earlier in the season it was based on the Rangers being near the top of the Metro and in a playoff spot. Now it's based on the Rangers still being in contention for a playoff spot. Which is stupid really, because even though the Rangers are better (points wise) than what most people expected it has fuck all to do with how the actual rebuild is coming along.

Archived