• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Grading David Quinn as the Rangers Head Coach

CBrowningPI

without Kevin Hayes peaking, this team dead last in the league. so I cant give all props to the coach. Without Hayes in the lineup all your scores are a grade lower, at least. So for me its B-

But surely the coach gets some credit for not only Hayes, but Kreider, Zibanejad and even Vesey being vastly improved? Staal looking better than in a very long time, Pionk taking strides?

He obviously gets little to no credit for Lundqvist being so good, but the vast improvement in the play of the above can't all be natural progression. Some of it is down to the system he has implemented, how he deploys his players, motivation etc etc.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was originally going to give him an A- but I wanted to wait to see some comments. Josh made me change my thinking a little. I'm going straight up B. Because of the cast of characters Quinn was given to work with, I think he's done really well. He wants his players to use their god given talent with an effort that they are seriously not used to giving on a daily basis. As I've posted before, that's really incredibly difficult to accomplish, especially with the young vets. He's had success with that, if I had to guess, maybe 25% of the games they played. Too many guys take nights off and it's noticable if you look for it. I think he earned that B in his first season.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

B. He's the right type of coach of this team right now. He's also the type of coach who gets tuned out eventually. I just hope the team has improved enough to withstand some turmoil and a coaching change when that happens. I'm not seeing a lot of evidence of the prospects reaching a new level and responding to his talks and scratches.

B. He's the right type of coach of this team right now. He's also the type of coach who gets tuned out eventually. I just hope the team has improved enough to withstand some turmoil and a coaching change when that happens. I'm not seeing a lot of evidence of the prospects reaching a new level and responding to his talks and scratches.

You think so? I mean I think all coaches generally get tuned out after so much time, especially if winning isn't happening, but I don't get the feeling that he is a "Torts-type" coach where the style wears thin quickly.

Yes, I agree that most coaches get tuned out eventually, and with Torts or Keenan (all those stops other than the Rangers) it happens faster than with most. I sense that with Quinn's legitimate demands for "accountability" and his healthy scratches of virtually every player at some point, he may be more prone to tune out than the average coach, although not as much as Torts or Keenan (who both suffer from personality disorders...). Admittedly, this is all premature. He has to get some decent results before this becomes a factor.

Josh doesn?t like him so I know he must be doing something right. :)

Comparing this team to what it was last year is silly, and trying to evaluate this roster under his first year is also tricky at best. It?s a dead roster. Everyone knows it. The vets know they are either not going to be here for much longer or they are going to have to just ride out the year and deal with it the best they can. The guys who are younger and needed to show they belong have like Chytil, or haven?t like Andersson, and luckily Hayes has taken a step forward despite the roster just not being very good. There are no magic beans that will somehow make this roster good. No coach is coming here and changing things. I like what Quinn has done in terms of establishing a culture. I don?t really think there?s much more that he can be judged on in terms of on ice play until he has a better roster around him. No idea what that really means for any kind of letter grade, but so far I?m happy with the decision to hire him.

This team, most nights, seems to be going through the motions. They have no identity. I think alot of it is Quinn figuring out how to handle NHLers and adjusting to the league. I don't think he's really figured out how he wants to play.

The things he's asking the team to do that are getting praise are very fundamental. Go to he net and get pucks to the net.

He'll get a long leash from me just because he's sitting anyone who's not playing to the best of their ability and he's new.

I'd expect 2/3 of the way through next year that the team have more of an identity and style carved out.

This team, most nights, seems to be going through the motions. They have no identity. I think alot of it is Quinn figuring out how to handle NHLers and adjusting to the league. I don't think he's really figured out how he wants to play.

The things he's asking the team to do that are getting praise are very fundamental. Go to he net and get pucks to the net.

He'll get a long leash from me just because he's sitting anyone who's not playing to the best of their ability and he's new.

I'd expect 2/3 of the way through next year that the team have more of an identity and style carved out.

I also think it's an issue of composition. Quinn needs soldiers willing to fight for him. There's still a ton of holdovers from the bombed out and depleted AV squads. Those guys need to move on before we can really see what he wants to accomplish IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Josh doesn’t like him so I know he must be doing something right. :)

Comparing this team to what it was last year is silly, and trying to evaluate this roster under his first year is also tricky at best. It’s a dead roster. Everyone knows it. The vets know they are either not going to be here for much longer or they are going to have to just ride out the year and deal with it the best they can. The guys who are younger and needed to show they belong have like Chytil, or haven’t like Andersson, and luckily Hayes has taken a step forward despite the roster just not being very good. There are no magic beans that will somehow make this roster good. No coach is coming here and changing things. I like what Quinn has done in terms of establishing a culture. I don’t really think there’s much more that he can be judged on in terms of on ice play until he has a better roster around him. No idea what that really means for any kind of letter grade, but so far I’m happy with the decision to hire him.

Who says I don’t like Quinn?

I gave his underperforming non-playoff team a B-.

I just think underperforming is an incredibly hard argument to make, but that’s me. This roster is extremely flawed.

Pretty much the same roster AV had. Yet doing worse.

I think they underperformed last season, too.

They are kind of worse honestly. Spooner was good last year for one. And they had McD for half the season. But regardless, if a team ?underperforms? multiple years in a row, are they actually underperforming or are they showing what they are?

It’s not the same roster though is it.

McD, Miller and Grabner were big pieces that would significantly improve this roster.

I’m not sure how they compare post deadline, but I can’t imagine there’s a huge difference.

I like a lot of he stuff Quinn says and does and I fully expected this years team to be awful, which they are.

My concern is energy level and battle level.. I was expecting a season similar to the one after the lockout (except maybe with less wins) where the team

Sucked but at least it was fun to watch.

Also don?t like how Anderson has been handled- in my opinion he should have just stayed in Hartford and brought up

After the deadline when bodies were moved. But I?m not entirely sure if that?s Quinn?s decision or Gortons. I?m all for playing the kids but he was clearly not ready for the NHL.

B-

I like a lot of he stuff Quinn says and does and I fully expected this years team to be awful, which they are.

My concern is energy level and battle level.. I was expecting a season similar to the one after the lockout (except maybe with less wins) where the team

Sucked but at least it was fun to watch.

Also don’t like how Anderson has been handled- in my opinion he should have just stayed in Hartford and brought up

After the deadline when bodies were moved. But I’m not entirely sure if that’s Quinn’s decision or Gortons. I’m all for playing the kids but he was clearly not ready for the NHL.

B-

I think this is a pretty generous grade, given the criticism lol.

I agree with the bolded, in particular. It hasn't been long enough to say that Quinn's message isn't getting through, but at some point THIS season, the effort & compete need to improve.

But surely the coach gets some credit for not only Hayes, but Kreider, Zibanejad and even Vesey being vastly improved? Staal looking better than in a very long time, Pionk taking strides?

He obviously gets little to no credit for Lundqvist being so good, but the vast improvement in the play of the above can't all be natural progression. Some of it is down to the system he has implemented, how he deploys his players, motivation etc etc.

surely he does, that's why I gave him B- but I don't think it is his accomplishment for Hayes' or Kreider's play. I think their progression is natural. they are in their peak years.

we see this team without Hayes and they're awful. what grade would u give the coach now?

surely he does, that's why I gave him B- but I don't think it is his accomplishment for Hayes' or Kreider's play. I think their progression is natural. they are in their peak years.

we see this team without Hayes and they're awful. what grade would u give the coach now?

Seems extraordinary that this natural progression coincided with Quinn walking through the door.

As for Hayes, it surely can’t be a surprise that an already weak roster looks even worse without arguably their best player this season. I can’t see how that reflects negatively on the coach.

I only see every 4th/5th game, so take it for what it's worth, but I think Quinn has done a great job.

We really shouldn't nitpick every little detail of his coaching or decision-making, but instead judge him on the bottom line and most important indicators. Every coach makes stupid decisions and has stupid biases - that's only a problem if the results falter.

In my opinion, this roster is bottom-5, and that's where most experts and fans placed them before the season. So for me, Quinn has clearly overperformed simply by the fact that they were in the playoff conversation almost at the halfway-mark and still are only 10th-last in the league. Now, the team will naturally falter and get picked apart, but it means a lot to me that Quinn has proved himself as a legit NHL coach that can get a bunch of players to play hockey together and create tight games night after night.

We have also seen great development of core players like Hayes, Zibanejad and good veteran performances from Staal and Lundqvist. Ideally, I would have liked to see stronger development from the youngsters Skjei, deAngelo, Chytil, Andersson and Howden, so that's a clear minus, of course.

To me, it's a B+.

We have also seen great development of core players like Hayes, Zibanejad and good veteran performances from Staal and Lundqvist. Ideally, I would have liked to see stronger development from the youngsters Skjei, deAngelo, Chytil, Andersson and Howden, so that's a clear minus, of course.

To me, it's a B+.

In what way have these guys developed? Hayes and Zib are the same players they were after the deadline last year, and Staal and Lunqvist are the same as they've been for basically a decade. This system does help Staal a bit, I guess.

But there has been 0 development from youngsters, and that's the one thing that Quinn absolutely has to do.

Archived