• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

Ohhhhhh hold on. That reminds me that I have something that I saved on Amazon that I saw at the end of last season and I totally forgot about it.

Edit - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJ9K2N2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_27CLFbT1ETBXQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=lawnforum-20

Perfect
So HD doesn't sharpen anymore. They reco'd a new blade didn't need it.

I gave the new blade a few shots with a metal files and just mowed. Like butter.

That said, I definitely need a new mower. The self-propelled is shot on mine. I just feel like there are better mowers out there. I got this one for like $250.

I gave the new blade a few shots with a metal files and just mowed. Like butter.

That said, I definitely need a new mower. The self-propelled is shot on mine. I just feel like there are better mowers out there. I got this one for like $250.

Yeah, just the little sharpening makes a world of difference in your cut. Combine that with a nice mower and you’ll be all set

Like I said, F HD. Find a local mom and pop small engine shop or a bonafide mower shop. I would suggest going to one of those as often as you can instead of a Lowe's or HD. Especially to buy the mower. You'll get way more care from them in the long run.

Shit I should have mentioned as well that if you sharpen yourself make sure you also balance it. That way you know you took off the same amount on both sides. If you're filing it I'm sure you're fine as that's not taking off much material. Also, make sure you also run the file over the underside of the blade once or twice to remove any burrs.

Shit I should have mentioned as well that if you sharpen yourself make sure you also balance it. That way you know you took off the same amount on both sides. If you're filing it I'm sure you're fine as that's not taking off much material. Also, make sure you also run the file over the underside of the blade once or twice to remove any burrs.
Did and did. And the kit I ordered has a more legit balancer.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe not home improvement but I'm on the market for my first home. I know the market is shit, sellers' market, houses going in a week or less. We're looking primarily in the northern area of Westchester where my wife teaches, as well as Putnam and Dutchess as options. We're not in a rush since we currently live with family, but would like to buy at some point between tomorrow and the next six months.

Aside from one or two areas, well water and septic tanks are the main water/sewer options available where we can afford homes. I've been reading up on them and while it's not as ideal and "forget it" as municipal water, anyone have experience with it, positive or negative? Advice while shopping for a home around these systems re age, inspections, etc? I've basically been ruling them out as I don't want to deal with them, but in this market and where we're looking it's making our options few and far between.

Maybe not home improvement but I'm on the market for my first home. I know the market is shit, sellers' market, houses going in a week or less. We're looking primarily in the northern area of Westchester where my wife teaches, as well as Putnam and Dutchess as options. We're not in a rush since we currently live with family, but would like to buy at some point between tomorrow and the next six months.

Aside from one or two areas, well water and septic tanks are the main water/sewer options available where we can afford homes. I've been reading up on them and while it's not as ideal and "forget it" as municipal water, anyone have experience with it, positive or negative? Advice while shopping for a home around these systems re age, inspections, etc? I've basically been ruling them out as I don't want to deal with them, but in this market and where we're looking it's making our options few and far between.

I'm on a septic, hasn't been a problem. Just supposed to have it cleaned out every few years or so. I'm guessing having issues with the septic or drain field is pretty shitty though...literally and figuratively.

For water we are on a community well. No issues there either, but I remember viewing a couple of houses with on-site personal wells and the water pressure was trash. That always concerned me about those...

When I was looking, I had a firm "no septic" policy. I think that was silly, in retrospect. If there's a house that checks all the boxes except it has septic/well, then don't let it deter you. Yeah it might be a little bit more maintenance, but houses are high maintenance anyway - so if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound. It's not like you have to do any of the work either. Just call a guy to do the cleanings/maintenance. I guess you gotta be a little bit worried about contaminants in the well water, but probably not significantly moreso than public utility water.

More maintenance, but lower taxes.

I personally would prefer to be on a well, specifically. The way the world is, it's an extra layer of security in the event Municipal systems go haywire.

With taxes in the Hudson Valley, I'm screwed either way. Saw a reddit post the other day saying their taxes got raised for $5k for the year and I chuckled as well as died a little inside.

Finally getting a contractor in to redo my kitchen from the 1960s. Two of the four burners on our range top no longer work (range top built into the countertop, no oven underneath) and the bigger, top half of our standing double oven shat the bed. The old owner left manuals for everything. This thing was so old, it came with a booklet on what kind of recipes you can cook your husband using their oven and range top.

new sink, new counter, new cabinets (was hoping we could salvage but they gotta go), new appliances (at least we got a new fridge recently so thats one less thing) all mean I can't afford Ranger tix this year

Found out how good an investment a good home inspector is. Finally got an accepted offer on a house, guy bought it last year and made a few renos but really left the basics crumbling beneath the surface.

One of the oil tanks is leaking onto the concrete floor underneath it. It's above ground and could possibly fit through the door, but that's an immediate change that would need to be made.

The boiler is ancient and looks completely unserviced, another immediate update needed.

The roof was redone, but they decided to paint over the gutters and let the leaks continue.

The plumbing is super sketchy, and there's even a bathroom below the septic. Plus the septic looks difficult to access to test or mantain.

Several holes in roof support beams where critters and animals could get in and live.

Bees nest in a hole in the deck.

The support structures of the deck are poorly done, and a few spots could cause major issues if we were entertaining lots of people out there.

Kitchen was done lazily. The granite is uneven, the fridge is lopsided, there's cabinetry falling off after just being lazily screwed in.

That's just on the surface, who knows what's underneath all that? Best $300 I ever spent to decide on the spot to walk away and not even try to negotiate down.

Edited by Xander