• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] K'Andre Miller in 1st Rd. (22nd) Pick

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granato says it's no big deal and he has done the same for "7 or 8 guys already."

If you're keeping score on the Carp vs the Post crew dynamic, Carp got Granato on the phone while Cyrgalis is waiting for some team announcement tomorrow. Always interested in who delivers the goods.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Must be too lazy.

Maybe just 2.

Scored 1. Then 1 looked like he banged it in, but wasn’t credited to him. Later, they mentioned a goal was change to miller. They said the 8th goal, but that obviously wasn’t Miller. He later, scored a shorty, but they said that was his second, so who knows. Merrimack announcers, so whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27920003/kandre-miller-unique-path-becoming-top-rangers-blue-line-prospect

"He's grown a lot as a player since a lot of us saw him before drafting him," says Chris Drury, the Rangers' assistant general manager. "Obviously, [Rangers director of player personnel] Gordie [Clark] and our staff of amateur scouts had a good read on him. Physically, he's loaded with a ton of tools, size, skating. There's a lot of things to like. Defensively, the more and more he plays at high levels, like at the World Juniors and in college, he's getting better and better."

Miller, 19, is one of the most interesting prospects outside of the NHL today because of his current development trend and how he was shaped into the person he is today.

Miller is the exceedingly proud son of Amy Sokoloski, who raised him as a single mom in Minnesota. She worked hard to allow her only child to achieve his dreams, and her example has stuck with Miller and drives him.

"My mom is one of the biggest inspirations in my life, probably will ever be in my life," Miller says. "We didn't come from the richest family. I didn't have brothers or sisters -- it was just me and my mom."

"We are very happy where he's at on his development curve," Drury says of Miller's choice to remain in school. "We know he's in great hands, learning a lot every single day, not only on ice, but off ice."

Miller's time at Wisconsin has shown him what it's like to be part of a rebuild, too. Former NHL standout and current UW coach Tony Granato has been trying to reshape a program that has fallen away from the college hockey elite, having not appeared in the NCAA tournament since 2014. Miller is a central part of that rebuild, just as he could be in the ongoing "trust the process" situation happening in Manhattan with the Rangers. Having just added one of the nation's best recruiting classes, the Badgers look to Miller as a leader even though he's only a sophomore.

That part has required a bit of a learning curve, and there have been a few bumps along the way. Just prior to the season, Miller was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules, causing him to miss an intrasquad game.

"It's another example of college life and trying to learn, manage time, manage expectations, and we think that will be good for him for when he eventually turns pro," Drury says of the prospect's early-season discipline.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has Miller regressed badly this year?

I'm asking because Pronman, who was pretty high on K'andre last year, doesn't even include him in his mid season top 100 prospects ranking.

Guys like like Lundkvist and Zac Jones are on the list, 38 and 72 respectively.

Opinions in the comments section seem to suggest he isn't having a great year.

https://theathletic.com/1529144/2020/01/15/pronman-2019-20-midseason-nhl-prospects-ranking/

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
I'm so excited for him to make the club.

Probably not going to be an offensive dynamo, but might be near impossible for opposing forwards. 6'5 230 and that skating? Good luck.

Still think a year in the AHL would do him good but im sure if he has a half decent camp theyll push to have him on the roster.