PDA

View Full Version : Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Puck Head
03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Not sure where this should go, but was wondering if I could start a thread in regards to hockey development.

Topics could range from youth players, hockey camps, adult skills, dryland or of ice training, etc.

Mod's, feel free to delete, move, etc

Phil in Absentia
03-27-2013, 02:57 PM
I have no issue with it, and this is the right place for it, because this isn't a Rangers-specific thread.

Puck Head
03-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Some of us...(I'm way guilty) tend to derail other topics or threads with this stuff.

Phil in Absentia
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Hey, if you think there's enough interest or parties involved who can make this worth it, I have no issue.

Puck Head
03-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Is there someone to give attention to goalies at every level in your organization, or is it just your squad? Michael's goalie coach backed up Quick at UMass and the other one played professionally in Germany. They're both good guys but they don't make their way onto the rink for every single team. So many teams practice at the same time, it's nearly impossible. We have 4 rinks in our building.

During our sheet of ice, we just happen to have those two guys always there, (son's are on team).

Puck Head
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Question for you Mike, or anybody else on the forum.

I'm looking into off ice training.
Flew down to meet with a group in Anchorage last week, who are putting the finishing touches on a indoor training facility.
The USA and Canadian ADM insist on this off ice training for development, and with the skyrocketing costs of ice time, (and availibilty)...I believe these dryland centers will become more popular.
The group wrote grants, and received a large donation from the company I actually work for.

Any experiences with this?

Mike
03-27-2013, 03:39 PM
During our sheet of ice, we just happen to have those two guys always there, (son's are on team).

You're lucky, and so are your goalies. Sometimes coaches can get so worked up or distracted in practicing with the players for a number of reasons (bad games on the weekend, kids in a fog, etc ..) that the goalies get ignored. I don't see anyone making it to the next level unless they have separate lessons, private instruction, do extra camps, etc ... Also, the kid has to want to do it. I don't sign Michael up for anything he doesn't want to do. Actually, I don't tell him about certain things because I don't want to do it.

Mike
03-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Question for you Mike, or anybody else on the forum.

I'm looking into off ice training.
Flew down to meet with a group in Anchorage last week, who are putting the finishing touches on a indoor training facility.
The USA and Canadian ADM insist on this off ice training for development, and with the skyrocketing costs of ice time, (and availibilty)...I believe these dryland centers will become more popular.
The group wrote grants, and received a large donation from the company I actually work for.

Any experiences with this?

Absolutely worth it. There is a Maxibility Gym and Cross Fit Center upstairs in our rink. http://www.maxability.net/Michael does it every week. The trainers are great and it's A LOT of work. These kids get in great shape, it's awesome. No heavy weights yet, but the other stuff they do has made them solid. Here's a typical day:
30 burpies
10 flights of stairs
20 curls with 5lb weights
20 sit ups
repeat it and delete 2 flights until you're at zero. So
30 burpies
8 flights
20 curls
20 sit ups
Then 5 miles on the stationary bike when it's all over.

josh
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Absolutely worth it. There is a Maxibility Gym and Cross Fit Center upstairs in our rink. http://www.maxability.net/Michael does it every week. The trainers are great and it's A LOT of work. These kids get in great shape, it's awesome. No heavy weights yet, but the other stuff they do has made them solid. Here's a typical day:
30 burpies
10 flights of stairs
20 curls with 5lb weights
20 sit ups
repeat it and delete 2 flights until you're at zero. So
30 burpies
8 flights
20 curls
20 sit ups
Then 5 miles on the stationary bike when it's all over.

I had to look this up... we call them squat thrusts.

We did something similar. Very little weight training before bantams, and even then, we didnt do much (we were immature, physically). Mostly did conditioning and calisthetics. The lifting we did was usually wrists or core.

At hockey camps, we'd always watch videos of NHLers doing their offseason training. Then we'd copy what they did. It always kept us interested and motivated.

For a large training facility, just make sure there is room to run. A few turf areas, and maybe a court or 2. They can double as pretty much anything. And you could rent out time to local soccer, basketball and football teams, too.

Mike
03-27-2013, 04:43 PM
I had to look this up... we call them squat thrusts.

We did something similar. Very little weight training before bantams, and even then, we didnt do much (we were immature, physically). Mostly did conditioning and calisthetics. The lifting we did was usually wrists or core.

At hockey camps, we'd always watch videos of NHLers doing their offseason training. Then we'd copy what they did. It always kept us interested and motivated.

For a large training facility, just make sure there is room to run. A few turf areas, and maybe a court or 2. They can double as pretty much anything. And you could rent out time to local soccer, basketball and football teams, too.

Exactly. Most of the kids love the program. There are other things they do as well. The workout regimen isn't always what I posted. They keep it fun and yet get the kids to work hard for the full hour.

Puck Head
03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I went and looked at two pieces of commercial property yesterday.
My assumption is this......16 players or so at a time.

4 slideboards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7gkFK7bZjI

A few stickhandler trainers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJhyb5m1J4

4 passing kits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D7O3SjDLQTI&list=PLD598DCC69E3DA509

One station stet up with 4 hockey nets, and shooting mats.
In 15 minutes a young player can get more repitions on his shot then in 10 ice practices

Last station can be the pyometrics we train.

Puck Head
03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Rather then simply conditioning, (what we do after every practice for 30 minutes)...this could be set up for individual skill aquisition.

Check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71V0-R4z-U

Mike
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Here it is .... the most stressful week of the year for kids and parents. Tryouts. Crazy things go on for the next 4 days. It's borderline insanity here right now in the youth hockey world. Wish us luck !!

Morphinity
04-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Good luck to you and your kid!

Mike
04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Good luck to you and your kid!

Thanks Ray. He's going to have to shine to make the team is trying out for. They've been in the top 10 in the country for the past 2 seasons. This is what he wants to do so I'm giving him a shot.

josh
04-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Tryouts were great, in a way. I understood the politics at a very young age. We have 3 teams close to me, and I jumped around to try to avoid it as much as possible. I must have been 8 or 9, and didnt make a squad that I knew I was better than half the kids... but ended up making a Major team that was incredible (no states that year because they were re-organizing. They pretty much unofficially gave it to us).

But anyhow, I usually went in knowing if I had a chance to make the top team, or if I was only going to be looked at for the second team. It allowed me to play without any pressure, and I had some awesome try outs. If I wasnt on the first team, coaches would tell me I'm a lock for the Tier II/AA/Minor squad, depending on the league and level. Of coarse my dad would rather take advantage of the free icetime, and I'd always be out there.

Those couple times when you had a coach that would pick his team were some great seasons/teams... but those coaches were never asked to return... hmmm...

Mike
04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Tryouts were great, in a way. I understood the politics at a very young age. We have 3 teams close to me, and I jumped around to try to avoid it as much as possible. I must have been 8 or 9, and didnt make a squad that I knew I was better than half the kids... but ended up making a Major team that was incredible (no states that year because they were re-organizing. They pretty much unofficially gave it to us).

But anyhow, I usually went in knowing if I had a chance to make the top team, or if I was only going to be looked at for the second team. It allowed me to play without any pressure, and I had some awesome try outs. If I wasnt on the first team, coaches would tell me I'm a lock for the Tier II/AA/Minor squad, depending on the league and level. Of coarse my dad would rather take advantage of the free icetime, and I'd always be out there.

Those couple times when you had a coach that would pick his team were some great seasons/teams... but those coaches were never asked to return... hmmm...

Wow Josh, Michael is in the same exact situation. He's going to have a tougher time because like I said before, this is a top 10 team in the country and a new goalie coming in has to be head and shoulders above the other 2 that have been there. All of the good/top goalies have their plusses and minuses. He has to stand out and he knows it. I've prepared him to be cut, but like you said, he'll be on the next best team. My problem is do I let him play for the new organization that he's trying out with this week or do I go back to the Avs? They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Avs are 8 minutes from my house, this place is 40 but I really think he needs a change of scenery in the locker room and behind the bench. Tier 2 is next week so we don't have much time to make a decision.

Morphinity
04-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks Ray. He's going to have to shine to make the team is trying out for. They've been in the top 10 in the country for the past 2 seasons. This is what he wants to do so I'm giving him a shot.

That's great, man. He's put in the work, so I really hope he gets it then.

josh
04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Wow Josh, Michael is in the same exact situation. He's going to have a tougher time because like I said before, this is a top 10 team in the country and a new goalie coming in has to be head and shoulders above the other 2 that have been there. All of the good/top goalies have their plusses and minuses. He has to stand out and he knows it. I've prepared him to be cut, but like you said, he'll be on the next best team. My problem is do I let him play for the new organization that he's trying out with this week or do I go back to the Avs? They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Avs are 8 minutes from my house, this place is 40 but I really think he needs a change of scenery in the locker room and behind the bench. Tier 2 is next week so we don't have much time to make a decision.

Yeah, its a tough decision. I remember friends calling me up to come to this league, or play on this team, etc. But after tryouts, the decision was always easy to make, for some reason. I would just feel much more comfortable in 1 situation over another, and (I dont remember if they just agree with me, or decided on their own and I made the same choice) my parents always seemed to support the decision.

Mike
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, its a tough decision. I remember friends calling me up to come to this league, or play on this team, etc. But after tryouts, the decision was always easy to make, for some reason. I would just feel much more comfortable in 1 situation over another, and (I dont remember if they just agree with me, or decided on their own and I made the same choice) my parents always seemed to support the decision.

I have to leave it up to him. It's a lot of money to waste if he's unhappy with a team I force him to play on. It doesn't do him any good for development, it doesn't do his team any good because he won't care, and it won't do me any good watching him play like shit because I made him go somewhere. I can guide him, I won't make him.

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Why the hell are they having tryouts so early??

And if they are a top 10 team in the country....shouldn't they be at Nationals right now?

Mike
04-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Why the hell are they having tryouts so early??

And if they are a top 10 team in the country....shouldn't they be at Nationals right now?

No nationals at Squirt. They're going into Pee Wee Minor. This is when the tryouts are in the east. Tier 1 is this week, tier 2 is next week.

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 03:59 PM
No nationals at Squirt. They're going into Pee Wee Minor. This is when the tryouts are in the east. Tier 1 is this week, tier 2 is next week.

That's right, I have so coworkers with kids in our league, and they are all off at nationals...
Forgot about Squirt and Pee Wee change.

What team is it?
Still the Avalanche org?

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 04:01 PM
You guys are making the same mistakes we started around 15 years ago, (we have since fixed).
We have our tryouts in September, when hockey tryouts are SUPPOSE to be.

No longer the issues of kids swapping, hopping, or being recruited by different teams.
Top tier has tryouts one week.
2nd tier the week after.
3rd tier the week after that.

Mike
04-09-2013, 04:02 PM
That's right, I have so coworkers with kids in our league, and they are all off at nationals...
Forgot about Squirt and Pee Wee change.

What team is it?
Still the Avalanche org?

NJ Colonials

Mike
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
You guys are making the same mistakes we started around 15 years ago, (we have since fixed).
We have our tryouts in September, when hockey tryouts are SUPPOSE to be.

No longer the issues of kids swapping, hopping, or being recruited by different teams.
Top tier has tryouts one week.
2nd tier the week after.
3rd tier the week after that.

If you make the team, you sign the contract that night. The organization has to sign a release if you want to leave. You're they're property from now until next March. Tier 1 practices start in 2 weeks.

josh
04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
September seems late. I remember having tournaments right when school started (1st/2nd week in Sept), so we were already practicing by then.

Unless they changed some regulations in the last 20 years. shit I am getting old.

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 04:10 PM
NJ Colonials

Oh yes, very good club......way good.
A Pee Wee team in our league is 3rd In the nation at Tier 2.

But split with 5 of the top 10 teams in the Tier 1 this season
(Chicago Mission, Little Ceasers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Jr Kings).

Was not a fun team to play against.

Mike
04-09-2013, 04:10 PM
September seems late. I remember having tournaments right when school started (1st/2nd week in Sept), so we were already practicing by then.

Unless they changed some regulations in the last 20 years. shit I am getting old.

They have tournaments while the kids are still in school. There are a lot of tournaments available every month.

josh
04-09-2013, 04:12 PM
They have tournaments while the kids are still in school. There are a lot of tournaments available every month.

Yes. But when I did those, it was always on a spring/summer team. My 'real' teams played in those tourneys.

Mike
04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Oh yes, very good club......way good.
A Pee Wee team in our league is 3rd In the nation at Tier 2.

But split with 5 of the top 10 teams in the Tier 1 this season
(Chicago Mission, Little Ceasers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Jr Kings).

Was not a fun team to play against.

Mission, Ceasars, Blues, Ducks, LA Kings, South Shore Kings (MA), Mid Fairfield Yankees, Compuware, etc ... are all ranked in top 20 at every level. They have sick programs. Those are truly hand picked select teams. I don't think they even entertain tier 2 hockey.

Mike
04-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Yes. But when I did those, it was always on a spring/summer team. My 'real' teams played in those tourneys.

That's what I meant. They have them now in May and June. Michael plays on a spring/summer team too so after he makes a team for next year he can't play in a tournament with the spring team if his real team is entering it. He has to play with them.

Kevin
04-09-2013, 04:48 PM
NJ Colonials

Morristown? They have a pretty impressive program. I don't know all the different classifications yet but their top Mite team last year was sick as was their squirt team.

Mike
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Morristown? They have a pretty impressive program. I don't know all the different classifications yet but their top Mite team last year was sick as was their squirt team.

Their 01 team could beat the Islanders. I hope he wants to stay there to play AA if he gets cut from AAA.

Kevin
04-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Their 01 team could beat the Islanders. I hope he wants to stay there to play AA if he gets cut from AAA.

Out of curiosity what is the cost associated with that level? I heard that those AAA teams run around $5,000 per season. Is this accurate?

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Out of curiosity what is the cost associated with that level? I heard that those AAA teams run around $5,000 per season. Is this accurate?

I'm guessing so.
At the Bantam and Midget level our teams can run up to 10k per season.

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 05:04 PM
A "comp" team can run up 10k in ice time per month alone.
So you could have 50-60k in ice fees alone split between 17 players.

Mike
04-09-2013, 05:05 PM

That would be accurate.

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 05:06 PM

I personally think the summer tourney's are silly as hell, (and so does USA hockey ADM).

In regards to tryouts, why would you not want to wait as LONG as possible?
Kids develop over the summer, grow, focus, etc.
What you have in March maybe completely different then 5 months later in September.

Kevin
04-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks. My son is a 2005 and he showed some real promise in his first travel season. He is moving up to squirt level this year (as an 8 y.o.). Just wanted to know what I'd be looking at if he keeps progressing at this rate.

Pete
04-09-2013, 05:11 PM
That would be accurate.

Guess my kid is sticking to rec hockey.

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Keep him there till he is 10 or 11.
Then you will know.

The team I took over cost 6k per player last season.
We drove the costs down to 1700 per player, (not counting sponsorships).

Kevin
04-09-2013, 05:14 PM

It really is way out of control. I knew it was expensive when we started but I would never have guessed that it would get up to $5,000 + a season. I'll be paying around $3,000 for this season if he makes Squirt B. I have two other, younger, sons too. Thankfully my middle guy doesn't seem to be too interested in playing ice hockey.

Pete
04-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Keep him there till he is 10 or 11.
Then you will know.

The team I took over cost 6k per player last season.
We drove the costs down to 1700 per player, (not counting sponsorships).

In 12-13 years it's just going to be double LOL.

Mike
04-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I personally think the summer tourney's are silly as hell, (and so does USA hockey ADM).

In regards to tryouts, why would you not want to wait as LONG as possible?Kids develop over the summer, grow, focus, etc.
What you have in March maybe completely different then 5 months later in September.

Nobody wants to lose whatever players are in their organization. Out of site, out of mind. Too much can happen in those months to make families leave the team they were with the season before. That's my guess. It's a lot different here than it is by you. A LOT different.

Mike
04-09-2013, 05:16 PM
It really is way out of control. I knew it was expensive when we started but I would never have guessed that it would get up to $5,000 + a season. I'll be paying around $3,000 for this season if he makes Squirt B. I have two other, younger, sons too. Thankfully my middle guy doesn't seem to be too interested in playing ice hockey.

What team is he on?

Kevin
04-09-2013, 05:18 PM
What team is he on?

NJ Stars out of Proskate in S. Brunswick

Puck Head
04-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Nobody wants to lose whatever players are in their organization. Out of site, out of mind. Too much can happen in those months to make families leave the team they were with the season before. That's my guess. It's a lot different here than it is by you. A LOT different.

We had to get all the organizations together, (something I worked hard on).
And simply say, this is when we will all have tryouts.

Now in our area it was no big deal, we run it like Canadian towns.
One organization representing interior Alaska.
Top 17 make one team, next 17 make the next, etc, etc.

Mike
04-09-2013, 05:37 PM
That doesn't include the privates, travel, hotel, food, gas, etc. lookin between 7-10 depending on what extras you do.

NJ Stars out of Proskate in S. Brunswick

Was just there for 3 on 3 tournys. You know Boris Sherman?

Kevin
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
No, I don't know him. The rink just brought in a ton of new coaches from ProTech and other places plus I don't know many of the coaches from the older ages. They have a new hockey director at the rink that seems to want the program to expand. They will now have AA teams at Peewee and Bantam levels this year.

Mike
04-10-2013, 04:03 PM
No, I don't know him. The rink just brought in a ton of new coaches from ProTech and other places plus I don't know many of the coaches from the older ages. They have a new hockey director at the rink that seems to want the program to expand. They will now have AA teams at Peewee and Bantam levels this year.

He's not a coach. He's a parent with 02 twins and another one at 00. He puts together 3 on 3's and other clinics. Real nice guy and he does a great job organizing and running things. I'm pretty sure he's tight with the 2 Russian coaches they just brought down there.

josh
04-10-2013, 04:12 PM
That doesn't include the privates, travel, hotel, food, gas, etc. lookin between 7-10 depending on what extras you do.

Or equipment!

I'm blown away by the time and money my parents spent on me playing. Including the annual rink in the backyard.

Morphinity
04-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Including the annual rink in the backyard.

I'm so fucking jealous.

Pete
04-10-2013, 04:15 PM
What an appropriate (re)tweet I just read...

Matthew Barnaby

The biggest problem with parents in youth hockey is parents rushing their kids and putting them in spots they don't belong. #slowdown

Mike
04-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Or equipment!

I'm blown away by the time and money my parents spent on me playing. Including the annual rink in the backyard.
Yup .. fuckin kid is on his 5th set of pillows.

Matthew Barnaby

Can I rep Barnaby? So fuckin true. Even if your kid makes a higher team and is a borderline player at that level, he's not going to get the ice time to develop. Tier 1 shortens the bench, they all play to win. They're better off at the next best level and developing and gaining confidence, which is huge.

Puck Head
04-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Matthew Barnaby

I kept my kid in "house" or rec hockey for the first 5-6 years for that reason.
Keep his ass grounded and things in perspective.

Puck Head
04-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Yup .. fuckin kid is on his 5th set of pillows.

Can I rep Barnaby? So fuckin true. Even if your kid makes a higher team and is a borderline player at that level, he's not going to get the ice time to develop. Tier 1 shortens the bench, they all play to win. They're better off at the next best level and developing and gaining confidence, which is huge.

No tier should be shortening the bench until Bantams.

Mike
04-10-2013, 05:08 PM
No tier should be shortening the bench until Bantams.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying what happens.

Puck Head
04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying what happens.

Coaches who don't have a clue I guess.
I'm big at the Bantam level, kids start to find roles.

I understand it's never possible to get perfectly even ice time, but roll all 3 lines as equal as possible in all situations.
PP, PK, etc.

Only time I ever change that is in regards to a behavior modification ;)

BrooklynBoy89
04-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Wish I would have seen this thread from the start.. Mikey you are exactly right, Tryouts started last night here for the Jr. Flyers.. My Dad and I were out there scouting over 70 16U players. 17 Goalies. His phone was ringing off the hook this week with parents trying to make sure my Dad and I knew which kids were there. AAA is SO political these days, it's actually sickening, and I've been a part of it for a while now. The problem that most people don't realize is EVERY AAA team has their tryouts the same nights. So the kids who don't make say, our AAA team, will try to bail early on tryouts, and go over to another AAA teams tryout for the 3rd night, just at the chance of making a AAA team.

It's really hectic, and you can learn a lot by just listening to the kids talk. I actually had a goalie telling me yesterday he was going to go out for another team, and 2 hours before tryouts his buddy texted him saying "so and so" weren't going to that teams tryouts anymore, so he switched plans, and came to ours. I don't know how the parents do it, I don't know how my Dad did it, and I am not sure how I am going to do it. It's pure craziness this week for all organizations with a AAA program.

Good luck to your Son, I hope he makes the team. Try and stay sane this week!

Mike
04-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Wish I would have seen this thread from the start.. Mikey you are exactly right, Tryouts started last night here for the Jr. Flyers.. My Dad and I were out there scouting over 70 16U players. 17 Goalies. His phone was ringing off the hook this week with parents trying to make sure my Dad and I knew which kids were there. AAA is SO political these days, it's actually sickening, and I've been a part of it for a while now. The problem that most people don't realize is EVERY AAA team has their tryouts the same nights. So the kids who don't make say, our AAA team, will try to bail early on tryouts, and go over to another AAA teams tryout for the 3rd night, just at the chance of making a AAA team.

It's really hectic, and you can learn a lot by just listening to the kids talk. I actually had a goalie telling me yesterday he was going to go out for another team, and 2 hours before tryouts his buddy texted him saying "so and so" weren't going to that teams tryouts anymore, so he switched plans, and came to ours. I don't know how the parents do it, I don't know how my Dad did it, and I am not sure how I am going to do it. It's pure craziness this week for all organizations with a AAA program.

Good luck to your Son, I hope he makes the team. Try and stay sane this week!

Thanks, same to you. Unfortunately the fix was in. He was cut tonight. I'm not the parent that thinks their kid is the best. I am a proud one, but I'm realistic. I would be the first to tell you if he deserved it or not, or played like shit or not. He was better than the 2 kids they took. Neither one of them has a tight form, they're flailing all over the place, uncoordinated and sometimes lazy. I come to find out that one stand out skater came to the team on agreement they would take his friend. His friend is the goalie. In addition, the other goalie that's been there for the last 2 years has a father that makes sizable donations to the rink. Guess which 2 kids they took? I heard 3 kids in the locker room say that Michael was the best goalie out there even before they put the list up. The kids know better than anyone imo. 2 parents were saying all good things about Michael and I was standing near them. They didn't know I was his father. I don't care what level he plays at, I do care that the hard work he puts in day after day, week after week, etc .. deserves to be rewarded. It wasn't. /rant. Tomorrow is another day.

Morphinity
04-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Sorry to hear that :( He'll get 'em next time. Hockey politics can be the worst.

Mike
04-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Sorry to hear that :( He'll get 'em next time. Hockey politics can be the worst.

I feel bad for him, not me. I don't mind spending the money as long as HE is enjoying it, working hard, and getting better. It's not about me, it's about him. He took this pretty hard. Kids aren't stupid. He came off the ice tonight with a huuuuge smile on his face. He was so confident that he made it.

Puck Head
04-11-2013, 12:19 AM
I feel bad for him, not me. I don't mind spending the money as long as HE is enjoying it, working hard, and getting better. It's not about me, it's about him. He took this pretty hard. Kids aren't stupid. He came off the ice tonight with a huuuuge smile on his face. He was so confident that he made it.

How long are tryouts for you guys?
How many skates do they get in?

Sorry to hear about Michael.
Tell him that weird coach from Alaska says it matter NOT what Squirt or Pee Wee team you play on....or even Bantam for that matter.
What matter is ice time, pucks seen...and EFFORT put forth.

He NOW has the opportunity to motivate himself, become all the can this season on and off the ice.
Now it's time for him to put forth the effort for his NEW coach and team.....all that matter.

Mike
04-11-2013, 12:26 AM
How long are tryouts for you guys?
How many skates do they get in?

Sorry to hear about Michael.
Tell him that weird coach from Alaska says it matter NOT what Squirt or Pee Wee team you play on....or even Bantam for that matter.
What matter is ice time, pucks seen...and EFFORT put forth.

He NOW has the opportunity to motivate himself, become all the can this season on and off the ice.
Now it's time for him to put forth the effort for his NEW coach and team.....all that matter.

3 days scheduled, they skated 2. I knew he was fucked when I saw the other goalie's dad smiling and joking around after tonight's skate and before the list was up. If my kid played like his kid did, I would have had myself, my son and his gear in the car before the list was even posted. That's how much of a difference there was. That's the problem Jay, this would have been a new coach and a new team, now he may want to go back to the old team and a lot of the kids aren't serious about playing hockey. It's a problem I was trying to avoid. He'll definitely make the AA team, which is just as good because he's an 02 playing with mostly 01's, but I don't know if he wants to go back to where he was just cut from. I think he'll want to go back to the Avs where the annoying kids are. (and parents)

BrooklynBoy89
04-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Sorry to hear that Mikey.. What you just described was exactly my point.. ITS ALL POLITICAL. It's ridiculous. I am sorry for your son, but as you said, as long as he has fun and enjoys the season, it doesn't matter where he plays. Hell, it would be great if he went back to the Avs and beat the Colonials this season.

Goalies, in my opinion, are the most important part of a team at the younger ages, because there are SO MANY lousy goalies. I mean, I couldn't imagine being that age and hauling around that equipment. So of course there are more bad goalies then there are good, but it makes it that much more important to take the best ones. Politics and Hockey shouldn't be together, it's a damn shame that it interferes so often. The kids are the ones who suffer.

Mike
04-11-2013, 01:13 AM
Sorry to hear that Mikey.. What you just described was exactly my point.. ITS ALL POLITICAL. It's ridiculous. I am sorry for your son, but as you said, as long as he has fun and enjoys the season, it doesn't matter where he plays. Hell, it would be great if he went back to the Avs and beat the Colonials this season.

Goalies, in my opinion, are the most important part of a team at the younger ages, because there are SO MANY lousy goalies. I mean, I couldn't imagine being that age and hauling around that equipment. So of course there are more bad goalies then there are good, but it makes it that much more important to take the best ones. Politics and Hockey shouldn't be together, it's a damn shame that it interferes so often. The kids are the ones who suffer.
I hate to say that about kids, but it's sooooo true. There's definitely more below average ones than average ones, and more average ones than above average ones. There are members on this board that have seen him play, he's fuckin good and his positioning is excellent most of the time. He's solid and has the legs and the ass of a 20 year old kid. He was sick this year for a 5 week stretch and missed more games and practices in those 5 weeks than he has combined in the last 6 years. He still finished with 29 gp and a 10-8-2 record with a 2.87 on a losing team. The cream always rises to the top. I'm not concerned about his play or what team he's on. I'm upset because he's upset.

Kevin
04-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Tough break for the kid, Mikey. I hate to hear shit like that. They are running a goalie camp at ProSkate now and I was talking to one father that I know that was there. His son is a Bantam level goalie and they had just left the Colonials program because of the political b.s. They said that even though the level at ProSkate is not the same as the Colonials, his experiences have always been better there. Hopefully your son can get back to his old program and just have fun while continuing to grow as a player.

Unfortunately, hockey is not the only sport like this. Baseball is known for it (and I have witnessed it first-hand). I'm sure just about every sport has these types of issues. The fix for it is just taking the kids that deserve to be there but you know that will never happen when money is involved.

Mike
04-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Tough break for the kid, Mikey. I hate to hear shit like that. They are running a goalie camp at ProSkate now and I was talking to one father that I know that was there. His son is a Bantam level goalie and they had just left the Colonials program because of the political b.s. They said that even though the level at ProSkate is not the same as the Colonials, his experiences have always been better there. Hopefully your son can get back to his old program and just have fun while continuing to grow as a player.

Unfortunately, hockey is not the only sport like this. Baseball is known for it (and I have witnessed it first-hand). I'm sure just about every sport has these types of issues. The fix for it is just taking the kids that deserve to be there but you know that will never happen when money is involved.

You're spot on with this entire post. And yes, I'm familiar how it works in baseball too. Michael plays AAA club baseball too and there was so much shit going on that more than 1/2 the team left. Funny thing is that they won the championship and were in the newspaper. lol. Parents are assholes. I'm not paying anyone off or sucking anyone's dick. Eventually there will come a time when that doesn't matter.

josh
04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Sucks for the kid. I hated those days. Try your hardest, stand out, and still doesnt pay off. But, eventually it will.

After these tough tryouts, I remember going to hockey camps hosted by Canadian or out of state groups. They used to come in and quickly gush all about my skating and playing abilities to the other kids... even though they made the Tier I and I was II for the upcoming season.

Eventually you feel bad for all the kids that were pushed along... they get to Bantams, Juniors, HS and they are so far behind everyone else its not even funny. Other kids that kept working, even though they were cut, keep progressing. Use it as motivation. And like they said, he might end up on a 'fun' team, get a ton of playing time, and beat up on some teams.

Puck Head
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Not sure how many kids I had play NCAA Div 1 over the years.........
We had around 80 or so in a 10 year span, so I probably had around a 3rd of them.

I'll tell you this...a LARGE majority of them were never AAA, Tier 1, or Major players at the Squirt or Pee Wee level.
Hell, the only NHL player I had was Tier 3, Tier 4 at the Pee Wee and first year Bantam level.

Typically it's the guys who get after it from age 14-17 that go somewhere.
Everything before that is just development.

Mike
04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Not sure how many kids I had play NCAA Div 1 over the years.........we had around 80 or so in a 10 year span, so I probably had around a 3rd of them.
I'll tell you this...a LARGE majority of them were never AAA, Tier 1, or Major players at the Squirt or Pee Wee level.
Hell, the only NHL player I had was Tier 3, Tier 4 at the Pee Wee and first year Bantam level.

Typically it's the guys who get after it from age 14-17 that go somewhere.
Everything before that is just development.

Agreed. I've seen it and heard it from numerous coaches.

Pete
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Sucks for the kid. I hated those days. Try your hardest, stand out, and still doesnt pay off. But, eventually it will.

After these tough tryouts, I remember going to hockey camps hosted by Canadian or out of state groups. They used to come in and quickly gush all about my skating and playing abilities to the other kids... even though they made the Tier I and I was II for the upcoming season.

Eventually you feel bad for all the kids that were pushed along... they get to Bantams, Juniors, HS and they are so far behind everyone else its not even funny. Other kids that kept working, even though they were cut, keep progressing. Use it as motivation. And like they said, he might end up on a 'fun' team, get a ton of playing time, and beat up on some teams.This is what I was thinking. It's these rich people who think that money entitles them to everything that are ultimately setting their own kids up to fail by buying their way on to these teams, and they are doing a disservice to the other 20 or so kids because now they have a weak link on the team (in this case in goal) and really, you can only "buy" your kid in for so long.

Or maybe you can buy them into places forever. What do I know?

Puck Head
04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
This is what I was thinking. It's these rich people who think that money entitles them to everything that are ultimately setting their own kids up to fail by buying their way on to these teams, and they are doing a disservice to the other 20 or so kids because now they have a weak link on the team (in this case in goal) and really, you can only "buy" your kid in for so long.

Or maybe you can buy them into places forever. What do I know?

It has less to do with money, and more to do with the parents who completely overwhelm their kids with hockey.
They live and die with every shift, game, tryout, camp, etc.
We call them umbrella parents.

Their kids are usually done by Bantams.

Mike
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
It has less to do with money, and more to do with the parents who completely overwhelm their kids with hockey.
They live and die with every shift, game, tryout, camp, etc.
We call them umbrella parents.

Their kids are usually done by Bantams.
Not over here. It's all about the Benji's in the east.

Puck Head
04-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Not over here. It's all about the Benji's in the east.

Understood, but there isn't a direct relation of money to burning out or killing player development.
That was my point.

Mike
04-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Understood, but there isn't a direct relation of money to burning out or killing player development.
That was my point.

No, but it causes a direct effect on what kids should and shouldn't be on the team.

Mike
04-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Wow, just got a call from the AA coach. They want Michael. This AA team could probably smoke most AAA teams. Now I just have to hope he wants to go there. This coach has such a good following that 4 tier 1 kids didn't try out for the team so they could stay with this guy.

Pete
04-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Wow, just got a call from the AA coach. They want Michael. This AA team could probably smoke most AAA teams. Now I just have to hope he wants to go there. This coach has such a good following that 4 tier 1 kids didn't try out for the team so they could stay with this guy.

:thumbs: :happy:

Morphinity
04-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Hooray! Congrats to your son!

Cash or Czech?
04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey Mikey, tell Michael he sucks ;) and I guess congrats as well.

josh
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Awesome news. Sounds like a good situation, too. Hopefully free of politics and a place where he can have fun.

Does he know anyone else on that team?

Mike
04-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Hey Mikey, tell Michael he sucks ;) and I guess congrats as well.
I won't post what he said in response to this.

Awesome news. Sounds like a good situation, too. Hopefully free of politics and a place where he can have fun.

Does he know anyone else on that team?
Yes, 2 very good tier 1 kids left the Avs to come to this team. He also played/plays on a tournament team with a few of the kids and he's played against kids from this team several times.

Cash or Czech?
04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
I won't post what he said in response to this.

I have a pretty good idea of what his response was.

Mike
04-12-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a pretty good idea of what his response was.

You and Pete deserve everything you get.

Mike
04-17-2013, 08:41 AM
They picked the team after the 1st night of tryouts. Soooooooo glad this is all over. Michael was so pumped to see his name on the list and is really looking forward to next season.

Pete
04-17-2013, 08:44 AM
:thumbs:

G1000
04-17-2013, 11:04 AM

I do hope you realize that when Michael is drafted by the Devils, we're going to have to exorcise him.

Lt. Dan
04-17-2013, 11:41 AM

They picked the team after the 1st night of tryouts. Soooooooo glad this is all over. Michael was so pumped to see his name on the list and is really looking forward to next season.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36709010/GIFS/xYECJ.gif

Great news, congrats!! :thumbs:

Mike
04-17-2013, 12:56 PM
I do hope you realize that when Michael is drafted by the Devils, we're going to have to exorcise him.
That would be the ideal definition of bitter-sweet.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36709010/GIFS/xYECJ.gif

Great news, congrats!! :thumbs:

Thanks !! You're the gif master. I spit my lemonade all over my shirt.

Puck Head
04-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Congrats to Michael.
I'm still confused as to all of this........do they practice all summer?
Do they just pick the teams then come back together in September?
What happens if a kid develops of the summer?
What happens if a kid moves, or another kid moves to that area?

Mike
04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Congrats to Michael.
I'm still confused as to all of this........do they practice all summer?
Do they just pick the teams then come back together in September?
What happens if a kid develops of the summer?
What happens if a kid moves, or another kid moves to that area?

1. Tier 1 begins practice in the spring and will take the summer off. Tier 2 AA will start practices in August.

2. All the tier 1 teams were picked last week. There still might be a spot or 2 open on some squads, but for the most part they're done. Tier 2 will be done after Thursday night. In Michael's case, this AA team was pretty much hand picked before the kids took the ice last night, so the list was up for that team. The 01 and 02 AA teams were picked so now those kids don't have to come back. They just took 25-30 kids off the ice for the next 2 nights. It makes things easier for them to pick the A and B teams. There were over 70 kids there last night and 8 goalies. Now the other kids could get a look.

3. If a kid develops over the summer to such a noticeable difference, god bless him. The team he's on is very lucky. There is also the possibility he can get called up to play on the highest team that the program has to offer (not every org has AAA). If he plays 2 games in tier 1, he can't return to tier 2 that season.

4. If a kid moves the organization will usually refund the tuition being that the kid never really touched the ice yet. If a new kids moves in, I'm sure there are a lot of teams that will take him at whatever level he's capable of playing at.

Puck Head
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
1. Tier 1 begins practice in the spring and will take the summer off. Tier 2 AA will start practices in August.

2. All the tier 1 teams were picked last week. There still might be a spot or 2 open on some squads, but for the most part they're done. Tier 2 will be done after Thursday night. In Michael's case, this AA team was pretty much hand picked before the kids took the ice last night, so the list was up for that team. The 01 and 02 AA teams were picked so now those kids don't have to come back. They just took 25-30 kids off the ice for the next 2 nights. It makes things easier for them to pick the A and B teams. There were over 70 kids there last night and 8 goalies. Now the other kids could get a look.

3. If a kid develops over the summer to such a noticeable difference, god bless him. The team he's on is very lucky. There is also the possibility he can get called up to play on the highest team that the program has to offer (not every org has AAA). If he plays 2 games in tier 1, he can't return to tier 2 that season.

4. If a kid moves the organization will usually refund the tuition being that the kid never really touched the ice yet. If a new kids moves in, I'm sure there are a lot of teams that will take him at whatever level he's capable of playing at.

Good information.
We have to "set" our rosters by Dec 31st for nationals....so we can bring kids up and down as need be.
Typically we have only moved kids up, (due to injury).................but miss the ol' days when we use to send kids down :)
Set a MUCH better atmosphere having that option!

Mike
04-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Good information.
We have to "set" our rosters by Dec 31st for nationals....so we can bring kids up and down as need be.
Typically we have only moved kids up, (due to injury).................but miss the ol' days when we use to send kids down :)
Set a MUCH better atmosphere having that option!

Our rosters have to be set by 12/31 too, but once you bring a kid up for 2 games he can't go back down. And I think if a rule was in place to send a kid down and that actually happened, that would cause a war. There are parents here that bring their kids to 3 or more organizations until their happy with a team that they're put on. Letter chasing is huge around here.

Puck Head
04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Our rosters have to be set by 12/31 too, but once you bring a kid up for 2 games he can't go back down. And I think if a rule was in place to send a kid down and that actually happened, that would cause a war. There are parents here that bring their kids to 3 or more organizations until their happy with a team that they're put on. Letter chasing is huge around here.

What's letter chasing?

Mike
04-17-2013, 03:17 PM
What's letter chasing?

Didn't make this AAA team, try another one. Can't make that AAA team, try another one. Didn't make that AAA team, try an AA team, can't make that one, try another AA team, etc ....

Puck Head
04-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Didn't make this AAA team, try another one. Can't make that AAA team, try another one. Didn't make that AAA team, try an AA team, can't make that one, try another AA team, etc ....

Ahhhhhh,
Yes, the nice thing about only having one organization for comp hockey within a 400 mile range :)

1 Major Team
1 Minor Team

Thank you very much to the rest of you, go play Tier 3/Tier 4

Mike
04-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Ahhhhhh,
Yes, the nice thing about only having one organization for comp hockey within a 400 mile range :)

1 Major Team
1 Minor Team

Thank you very much to the rest of you, go play Tier 3/Tier 4

:rofl: Yeah, things are different around here.

Mike
04-28-2013, 01:18 PM
First game of the spring season tonight, 5:30 at AmeriHealth. I just found out that Rihanna has a concert tonight at the Rock. If I have to walk with my crutches for more than 1 block, I'm gonna make that bitch wish Chris Brown was still her boyfriend.

Morphinity
04-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Chris Brown is still her boyfriend. :p

Mike
04-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Win 7-4. Not a word from our parents the entire game, even when we scored. They didn't shut the fuck up the entire game. I expected that from a Staten Island crew, though. Plus, their goalie's shoulders were 4 inches over the crossbar and he was shaving 2 years ago. They also had 3 kids that were taller than Phil. Gotta love spring hockey. It feels great to beat a team that "bends the rules". And the ref gave them 2 mercy goals. As a goalie parent, I must admit that it upsets me a little. You bring older benders, get whipped and are then given charity? Fuck you.

Puck Head
04-28-2013, 10:13 PM
What kind of spring league is this?
Are they playing full ice?

Mike
04-28-2013, 10:53 PM
What kind of spring league is this?
Are they playing full ice?

Spring league is a little funky. Technically, you're still what you were the previous fall/winter season, but a lot of kids/teams will play up to what they're going to be in the next season. It would be like your son playing 1st year pee wee right now, rather than playing 2nd year pee wee. The teams that continue to play on the level they were in the fall/winter just want to try to win something.

Puck Head
04-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Spring league is a little funky. Technically, you're still what you were the previous fall/winter season, but a lot of kids/teams will play up to what they're going to be in the next season. It would be like your son playing 1st year pee wee right now, rather than playing 2nd year pee wee. The teams that continue to play on the level they were in the fall/winter just want to try to win something.

We handle spring league completely different, here is an example of how we do our Pee Wee's.

8 Pee Wee teams, 8 players per team, plus one goaltender.
4 on 4 1/2 ice, Tuesday evening and Saturday afternoon.
So 2 hours of ice, 4 teams playing first hour, 4 teams playing second hour.
So each week you get 4 30 minute games.

We randomly select the teams, we try to split them up as evenly as possible.
You might have 2 kids at most that skated together the year before.
Kids get a chance to skate with new kids, coaches get a chance to work with new kids.

Very casual, emphasis on compete, creativity, etc. ZERO systems, etc.
It's pretty close to what the USA hockey development program suggests.

Mike
04-29-2013, 12:37 AM
We handle spring league completely different, here is an example of how we do our Pee Wee's.

8 Pee Wee teams, 8 players per team, plus one goaltender.
4 on 4 1/2 ice, Tuesday evening and Saturday afternoon.
So 2 hours of ice, 4 teams playing first hour, 4 teams playing second hour.
So each week you get 4 30 minute games.

We randomly select the teams, we try to split them up as evenly as possible.
You might have 2 kids at most that skated together the year before.
Kids get a chance to skate with new kids, coaches get a chance to work with new kids.

Very casual, emphasis on compete, creativity, etc. ZERO systems, etc.
It's pretty close to what the USA hockey development program suggests.
Your kids are locked into an area. Everyone goes all over the fuckin place around here. Vanderbeek owns the organization Michael plays for in the spring/summer. That's why they play out of AmeriHealth. They're the NJ Rockets in the fall/winter and they're the Rockz in the spring summer. Every organization changes their spring/summer team name and unis. It also gives the kids a chance to get a look at other places, play with other kids, and maybe it's a little more convenient for the parents as well. It depends how crazy you are. The Rockz are good because they have optional practices and you pay as you go. They attend 4 tournys and have great coaches. You pay for the tournys that you can make. It gives the kids that play other sports and the families that take a lot of vacations the opportunity to play without having hockey dominate the spring/summer seasons. The guy who runs it played with Martin St. Louis in college, he comes to the home tourny in August. Good shit.

Puck Head
04-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Still don't understand the summer tourney's.....
Our group just got back from that showcase in Illinois.
6 from my team went.

They played team Wisconsin, team Illinois A and B, (that state had two teams), and some other state.
Most games were one goal games so it gave me a idea of where we stand.

Mike
04-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Still don't understand the summer tourney's.....
Our group just got back from that showcase in Illinois.
6 from my team went.

They played team Wisconsin, team Illinois A and B, (that state had two teams), and some other state.
Most games were one goal games so it gave me a idea of where we stand.

It's just a way to play some games once a month. It's very rare that you're upcoming team for the fall/winter season will enter one of these. It's usually the same teams from the spring.

Not to shabby in Illinois. Good for you guys. Those showcases are for 2nd year pee wees and up, right? Michael will get to try out for one of those district teams next year. It should be a good experience but it'll be super tough to make that team. At least 1 goalie spot is locked up by whoever is coaching the team because they'll take one of their kids.

Puck Head
04-29-2013, 12:44 PM
It's just a way to play some games once a month. It's very rare that you're upcoming team for the fall/winter season will enter one of these. It's usually the same teams from the spring.

Not to shabby in Illinois. Good for you guys. Those showcases are for 2nd year pee wees and up, right? Michael will get to try out for one of those district teams next year. It should be a good experience but it'll be super tough to make that team. At least 1 goalie spot is locked up by whoever is coaching the team because they'll take one of their kids.

Yes, 2nd year pee wee and up I believe.
Some states had two teams, most had one.
I highly doubt they are truly the top 16 players in a state, (almost impossible to figure that out).

But at least I know how we stack up against the top players In the nation at least.
My "line" was plus throughout the tourney, so we aren't too far behind.

Mike
04-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Yes, 2nd year pee wee and up I believe.
Some states had two teams, most had one.
I highly doubt they are truly the top 16 players in a state, (almost impossible to figure that out).

But at least I know how we stack up against the top players In the nation at least.
My "line" was plus throughout the tourney, so we aren't too far behind.
That's great. I have a feeling we'll be meeting randomly in a few years. By the time they hit 16U and 18U, maybe they'll get a chance to play vs one another !!

Puck Head
04-29-2013, 12:57 PM
That's great. I have a feeling we'll be meeting randomly in a few years. By the time they hit 16U and 18U, maybe they'll get a chance to play vs one another !!

If my son doesn't get it going he won't be trying out for any team next season :)

Mike
04-29-2013, 12:59 PM
If my son doesn't get it going he won't be trying out for any team next season :)

I hear ya, every parent gets into choke mode for a little while.

Puck Head
04-29-2013, 01:30 PM
I hear ya, every parent gets into choke mode for a little while.

He turns 12 this year.
I explained to him after this season, if he wants it....to go get it.
I've been pretty hands off with him, but it's time for him to start putting in the effort if he wants to play hockey on Tier teams.

Mike
04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
He turns 12 this year.
I explained to him after this season, if he wants it....to go get it.
I've been pretty hands off with him, but it's time for him to start putting in the effort if he wants to play hockey on Tier teams.

Yeah, 2nd year pee wee into 1st year bantam is a level where they start to separate themselves a little.

Puck Head
04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah, 2nd year pee wee into 1st year bantam is a level where they start to separate themselves a little.

Yeppers.
They no longer better be playing for mommy and daddy.
And the kids putting in the time away from the rink are the ones who stand out in development.

The other big piece is this.....SIZE and STRENGTH matter.
Up until now it hasn't.....but the bigger kids who were lugs in Mites and Squirts start to separate themselves a bit.

Mike
04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Yeppers.
They no longer better be playing for mommy and daddy.
And the kids putting in the time away from the rink are the ones who stand out in development.

The other big piece is this.....SIZE and STRENGTH matter.
Up until now it hasn't.....but the bigger kids who were lugs in Mites and Squirts start to separate themselves a bit.

When they start hitting at Bantams, that changes everything. Michael is a big, strong kid for his age and he likes to do dry land. He's in the cross fit program. His conditioning and strength are going to be awesome. It's going to help in baseball too.

Mike
05-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Is this part of the development in youth hockey? These kids are 02's, same group as my kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcC4RJAGwU&feature=player_embedded

Puck Head
05-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Those frisky Russians!
I'm telling ya, Canada and USA have tempered the physical part so much in development, it may be the damn Russians who start generating the tough guys :)

Didn't those kids seem kinda small for 02's?

Mike
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Those frisky Russians!
I'm telling ya, Canada and USA have tempered the physical part so much in development, it may be the damn Russians who start generating the tough guys :)

Didn't those kids seem kinda small for 02's?

Yeah, some of them did look small. I was thinking that too.

McDougalfaschnitzer
05-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Looks like they are all trying to hit like Ovechkin.

Mike
05-23-2013, 11:45 AM
I just found out we have 3 tournaments next season:

November: Toronto :wtf:
January: Rochester :mad:
February: TBD

NO TOURNAMENTS DURING THANKSGIVING OR CHRISTMAS BREAKS :happy:

Kevin
05-25-2013, 01:48 AM
I just found out we have 3 tournaments next season:

November: Toronto :wtf:
January: Rochester :mad:
February: TBD

NO TOURNAMENTS DURING THANKSGIVING OR CHRISTMAS BREAKS :happy:

Lol, we will be in the D.C. area for Thanksgiving...I guess I should get used to this.

Mike
05-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Lol, we will be in the D.C. area for Thanksgiving...I guess I should get used to this.

Yeah. Usually you eat Thanksgiving dinner and then leave for wherever. Depending on how you feel about the people you're spending Thanksgiving with, this could be a good thing.

Puck Head
05-25-2013, 01:27 PM
I skipped Thanksgiving and Xmas road trips last season.
Was very nice to eat at home rather then do those dinners in hotels like we had the 3 years before.

The parents to great getting together the food, etc....but not quite the same as sitting on the couch after a great home cooked meal at home.

Mike
05-25-2013, 04:34 PM
I skipped Thanksgiving and Xmas road trips last season.
Was very nice to eat at home rather then do those dinners in hotels like we had the 3 years before.

The parents to great getting together the food, etc....but not quite the same as sitting on the couch after a great home cooked meal at home.

You have an advantage that none of us have, though.

Puck Head
05-25-2013, 04:45 PM
You have an advantage that none of us have, though.

Tort's like control of my team and parents?

Mike
05-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Tort's like control of my team and parents?

Exactly. You get to make the schedule. We have to follow one.

Puck Head
05-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Exactly. You get to make the schedule. We have to follow one.

No shit?
Your coaches don't make that decision?

We have a coaches meeting from across the state in Sept, to set all our home/away games for league.
After that, it's all up to me to pick up exhibition games, tourney's, etc.

Mike
05-25-2013, 04:52 PM
They do make that decision. You're a coach, I'm not. I push pucks at practices and I'm on the ice for the goalie clinics, but I'm not a coach.

Puck Head
05-25-2013, 09:43 PM
They do make that decision. You're a coach, I'm not. I push pucks at practices and I'm on the ice for the goalie clinics, but I'm not a coach.

Oh.
And I explained to my parents i'm all about saving money and keeping kids in school.
My budget came in 1/3 of the two season before with 4 more sheets of ice.

Reason is, we didn't travel out of state.
My team also missed on average 14 less days of school due to how we did road trips.

Attendance in school, financial responsibility.....two huge things I harp on.

Mike
05-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Oh.
And I explained to my parents i'm all about saving money and keeping kids in school.
My budget came in 1/3 of the two season before with 4 more sheets of ice.

Reason is, we didn't travel out of state.
My team also missed on average 14 less days of school due to how we did road trips.

Attendance in school, financial responsibility.....two huge things I harp on.

Geographically, economically, and volume of players there vs here, is night and day. Same game, different approaches.

Mike
06-02-2013, 02:29 PM
New team, new rules:

* I will NOT make excuses.
* I will always speak and act positively about my teammates and never say or do anything to put them down.
* I will always have a positive attitude at the rink.
* Anytime I wear _________ attire I will act respectfully to others and my organization. I will always represent the team in a positive manner.
* I will not swear or use abusive language on the bench, in the rink, at the hotel, or at any other team function.
* I will not lash out at any official (on or off ice) no matter what the call is. Nor will I speak to the official unless spoken to. The coaching staff will handle all matters pertaining to officials.
* If I receive a penalty, I will skate directly to the penalty box without speaking to the officials, opponents or coaches. Nor will I show any type of body expression.
* Any unsportsmanlike penalty will not be tolerated by the coaching staff and will be subject to team suspension and/or loss of ice time.
* Home game dress code: 3 button, white golf shirt, dress pants, sneakers, team jacket.
* Away game dress code: Team track suit, team t-shirt or hooded sweatshirt. Hat optional (must be team hat)

Practice and Game arrival and departure procedure:
* I will arrive with enough time to be ready and fully dressed 5 minutes prior to ice slot start time
* I will arrive 60 minutes prior to games, and be ready to go 15 minutes (fully dressed) prior to ice slot start time. I will have my sticks taped and skates sharpened prior to specified arrival time.
* If I miss a game or practice for an unexcused reason, there will be consequences at the coaches discretion.
* If I am sick I will not come to practice. I will rest at home in order to benefit my team in order to stay healthy.

----------------------------

* No parents in dressing room, unless you're assigned locker duty. NO parents bringing in water bottles into the room.
* I will get fully dressed by myself. I will tie my own skates.
* I will bring my own water bottle to practice and games. I will not drink out of a teammates bottle.
* I will carry my own bag to and from the rink.
* Any _________ jersey, practice or game, will never touch the ground.
* I understand breaking of any rules will result in disciplinary action, which could affect the entire team.
* I understand the coaches make all decisions based on the best interest of the team, and I will never put myself before the team.

Puck Head
06-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I like it.
Going to steal something from it...

* I will arrive with enough time to be ready and fully dressed 5 minutes prior to ice slot start time

We go over practice on the board in the locker room around 10 minutes before zam is off.
So we went from 30 minutes early, to 45, and then even 60 at times.
But the fact is some kids can get dressed in 5 minutes, other kids it takes 30..

But the way you guys put it, simply be ready "x" minutes early for practice.
No need for the quick dressers to get there 45 minutes early.

Mike
06-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I like it.
Going to steal something from it...

We go over practice on the board in the locker room around 10 minutes before zam is off.
So we went from 30 minutes early, to 45, and then even 60 at times.
But the fact is some kids can get dressed in 5 minutes, other kids it takes 30..

But the way you guys put it, simply be ready "x" minutes early for practice.
No need for the quick dressers to get there 45 minutes early.

There's a coach's message too. I'll post it later.

Puck Head
06-02-2013, 04:35 PM
You ever heard of a team called the Reebok Nationals??
We have a group of 04's, (that is not a typo)...head out to some stupid tourney in Minnisota.

They just lost in championship game a few minutes ago.
But one of the teams were the Reebok Nationals, (out of minn I think).
Just was wondering if you guys had come across them.

Puck Head
06-02-2013, 04:35 PM
What team is your guy on this year?

Mike
06-02-2013, 04:42 PM
You ever heard of a team called the Reebok Nationals??
We have a group of 04's, (that is not a typo)...head out to some stupid tourney in Minnisota.

They just lost in championship game a few minutes ago.
But one of the teams were the Reebok Nationals, (out of minn I think).
Just was wondering if you guys had come across them.
I've heard of them, I think they're a tournament team. I've never come across them, though.

What team is your guy on this year?

NJ Colonials - PW Minor AA

Mike
06-03-2013, 12:17 PM
* All coaches should be role models for their young student-athletes, and should coach in a positive, constructive manner. This style will motivate the players to have confident in themselves and the coaches. This will facilitate a strong learning atmosphere.
* Parents should present a strong, positive role model to the players in all interactions with players, coaches, referees, and other parents.
* Recognize the long term goal and will promote players to have fun, encourage leadership, develop friendships, develop personal and team skills.
* Will instill a team first attitude. Players who contribute in any form will be recognized.
* Believe in running a disciplined team and have consequences for not following team rules.
* Will encourage creativity and team system play.
* Players develop in practice, additional practices will be added. There will be a 2 week preseason training camp.
* Will discuss each player's strengths and weaknesses in a 1 on 1 setting during the season. This not only will be used as a tool for teaching hockey, but a life skill. Players will be asked questions and will prepare responses to communicate with the coaches.
* We are teaching much more than hockey.
* We will win and lose as a team.
* We believe all players should have the opportunity to learn the power play, penalty kill, and play at key moments. All players will play.

Puck Head
06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm liking what the coaches wrote!

We are teaching much more than hockey.

Are you familiar with these coaches, has Michael played for them before?

Mike
06-03-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm liking what the coaches wrote!

Are you familiar with these coaches, has Michael played for them before?

He's played against them several times over the past 3 years. Last year he did a clinic in their building in which his head coach was on the ice for. I've heard nothing but great things about the head coach. There are 2 assistants and they both have kids on the team. 1 is 1st cousins with a well known NHL player, they actually share the same first and last name. Great, great guys, all 3 of them.

Puck Head
06-03-2013, 03:40 PM
He's played against them several times over the past 3 years. Last year he did a clinic in their building in which his head coach was on the ice for. I've heard nothing but great things about the head coach. There are 2 assistants and they both have kids on the team. 1 is 1st cousins with a well known NHL player, they actually share the same first and last name. Great, great guys, all 3 of them.

Awesome, and IMO it's good for kids to get a variety of coaches growing up.
Do you guys carry two goaltenders?

Mike
06-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Awesome, and IMO it's good for kids to get a variety of coaches growing up.
Do you guys carry two goaltenders?

Yes ... the other goalie is a girl. She's good. Michael has always had good comraderie with every goalie he's shared the ice with. This will definitely be different for him. I just hope it's not difficult for him.

Puck Head
06-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Yes ... the other goalie is a girl. She's good. Michael has always had good comraderie with every goalie he's shared the ice with. This will definitely be different for him. I just hope it's not difficult for him.

She's not a girl...she's competition for ice time!
Just kidding...that's great he gets along with the other tenders.

As ya know, I've been just carrying one the last two seasons.
I hate kids not getting ice time. When we hit bantams will start carrying two again.

Mike
06-03-2013, 04:11 PM
She's not a girl...she's competition for ice time!
Just kidding...that's great he gets along with the other tenders.

As ya know, I've been just carrying one the last two seasons.
I hate kids not getting ice time. When we hit bantams will start carrying two again.
Yeah, it's tough though. If the kid gets sick or something, the team is fucked. Teams will usually rotate the goalies unless there are extreme circumstances or an obvious skill differential on higher teams. Or it could be the coach just doesn't like the parents and will bench the kid until they get frustrated enough to leave. I saw that happen to someone last year on another team. And fwiw, Michael is the best teammate you can ask for. He puts the team before himself all the time. He wants the team to win more than anything.

Puck Head
06-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Yeah, it's tough though. If the kid gets sick or something, the team is fucked. Teams will usually rotate the goalies unless there are extreme circumstances or an obvious skill differential on higher teams. Or it could be the coach just doesn't like the parents and will bench the kid until they get frustrated enough to leave. I saw that happen to someone last year on another team. And fwiw, Michael is the best teammate you can ask for. He puts the team before himself all the time. He wants the team to win more than anything.

Luckily I am allowed to bring up a goaltender from any league below me, (we have 3 tiers below us).
And in the tourney's, I am allowed to dress a backup from any tier below us, from anywhere in the state.

Mike
06-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Luckily I am allowed to bring up a goaltender from any league below me, (we have 3 tiers below us).
And in the tourney's, I am allowed to dress a backup from any tier below us, from anywhere in the state.

Yeah, the kids could play up, not down. But if they play more than 3 games at triple A, they can't go back down. The roster lock is 12/31, no?

Puck Head
06-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Yeah, the kids could play up, not down. But if they play more than 3 games at triple A, they can't go back down. The roster lock is 12/31, no?

Except for goaltenders.
You are allowed emergency call ups as long as it's from a lesser Tier.

Mike
06-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Right. There are goalie exceptions

Mike
07-14-2013, 12:00 PM
More pussification from parents. I really can't believe the things I witness in youth sports from some of these people. They really have no fuckin clue and are so worried about their little Johnny's feelings that they make themselves look like big fuckin babies. Michael was in a tournament at the Rock this weekend. It's a AAA tournament that they host, but more than 1/2 the players on this team don't belong playing at this level. I know it, coaches know it, and all of the parents know it. It's a bit of a money grab, but it's ice time. Yesterday they played a team loaded with 01 and 02 AAA players. We knew going in that it was going to be ugly. For me, I look forward to these games because it's a firing squad on Michael. The goalies split the games in the tournys and the other kid got the start in this game, but it was 14-1 when Michael came in and the other team didn't take their foot off the gas for 1 second. The final was 16-1, and I was very proud of the team and Michael for holding them to 2 goals after the initial shit show. A parent from our team started screaming and cursing at the coaches on the other bench because they were laying it on us and kept shooting the puck. The guy he was cursing at had his wife and daughter in the stands, and they were sitting right next to me. She happen to recognize me from other tournaments and we were chatting all game. She was visibly upset and the daughter was hysterical crying because her father was being cursed at from a man 3' away from her. I told him to grow the fuck up and knock it off. When the coaches came off the bench, Mr. tough guy (who my son is bigger than), decided to pipe it down because the other guy could have gone nose to nose to Brian Boyle. I thought that was funny. All 5' 10 of me was trying to push the big dude away and I had a nice chat with him, the other coach and all of the other team's families. In my eyes, they did nothing wrong. Play the fuckin game. As a parent of a kid on the team getting lumped, it's more embarrassing for the team to play keep away, then it is to actually play the game. You're not teaching the kids anything by making them quit, and why should my kid sit in the crease and watch the other team pass the puck around for 15 minutes? Stop the fuckin crying, and get your kid a set of balls. 15 minutes after the game they're not going to remember if it was 10-1, 14-1 or 19-1. The scores mean nothing, and the games will be forgotten about a lot quicker from the kids than the parents. Play the game, finish the game, and don't sign up for something that you or your kid can't handle.

I coach both of Michael's baseball teams, and before the games I tell the other coaches not to take their foot off the peddle if the score is out of control. Don't take a single if it's a triple, steal bases, and play aggressively. You're not teaching our kids shit by letting them standing there doing nothing because they know you're not going to steal a base. Our catcher won't get better, our infield won't get better, and you're teaching them that it's ok to quit. That's fuckin bullshit.

CCCP
07-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Mike, u see any aviator teams there? David's team was supposed to be at that tourney this weekend but we're away in canada.

Mike
07-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Mike, u see any aviator teams there? David's team was supposed to be at that tourney this weekend but we're away in canada.

No, but I saw NY Stars kids.

Patrick Bateman
07-14-2013, 01:58 PM
I agree with you in respect to hockey, Mikey. What do people expect the other team to do when they're up big? It's not like you can just take all the good players out of the game completely.

In other sports, it is kind of poor taste to keep all your best players in when you're up big, since you can just sub them out an use the opportunity to give your benchwarmers some actions. It doesn't just go for youth sports either, it goes for all levels, even professional

Mike
07-14-2013, 02:08 PM
I agree with you in respect to hockey, Mikey. What do people expect the other team to do when they're up big? It's not like you can just take all the good players out of the game completely.

In other sports, it is kind of poor taste to keep all your best players in when you're up big, since you can just sub them out an use the opportunity to give your benchwarmers some actions. It doesn't just go for youth sports either, it goes for all levels, even professional
Different games, call for different measures. In basketball or football, you put in your bench players, but they're still PLAYING the game. No one is going to give you a lay up, or let you run for a touchdown. In baseball, there is no clock, so anything can happen. You can't take your best players out, but what some coaches do is not let the kids steal anymore or just go station to station without making it look bad. Imo, you're not teaching the kids anything, from either the winning or losing team. In hockey, parents expect a team to use the unwritten 5 pass rule. 5 passes before you can take a shot when you're crushing a team. In some games, I have no problem with it. In tournaments however, goal differential is used as a tie breaker in playoff seedings. Everyone knows this. And the parents screaming and yelling were just making the kids fight on the ice. The parents of the other team didn't cheer for one of the 16 goals they scored. Class act. Play the game.

Puck Head
07-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Have to keep it simple in youth hockey

Roll your lines evenly
Make em play hard both directions (good habits)

In blowouts try and keep the goal celebrations to a minimum

Puck Head
07-14-2013, 03:43 PM
On my sons football team it's a little different in blowouts

Ride your 2nd team defense and offense a little harder, maybe allow some different kids to play new positions

Can't do that so much in hockey (although I have swapped forwards and defenseman sometime)

Mike
07-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Have to keep it simple in youth hockey

Roll your lines evenly
Make em play hard both directions (good habits)

In blowouts try and keep the goal celebrations to a minimum
Exactly. And the other team barely celebrated the 1st goal they scored, let alone the 16th.

On my sons football team it's a little different in blowouts

Ride your 2nd team defense and offense a little harder, maybe allow some different kids to play new positions

Can't do that so much in hockey (although I have swapped forwards and defenseman sometime)

They did that too. And like I mentioned above, other sports are different. You have 2nd teams but the kids are still playing the game. They don't put in the 2nd team and then knee the ball in the 3rd quarter. They still run plays that the other team needs to stop. It blows my mind that parents want to protect their kid's feelings so much that they would encourage quitting in the middle of the game. Take up backgammon.

Puck Head
07-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Once kid hit high school, U16...it's a little different.
But honestly there are rarely blowouts at that level, and if it's very lopsided I'd just dress JV kids before hand

Puck Head
07-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Last season I didn't have a problem with blowouts for...was more concerned with NOT getting blown out ;)

But season before got bad.

But ya gotta keep work ethic going at all times...you know how 11 year olds are.

What I would do is emphasize and reinforce they things

Back checking
Blocking shots
Face offs
Owning both creases
Etc etc

I'd get more excited about those things then any goal

Mike
07-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Last season I didn't have a problem with blowouts for...was more concerned with NOT getting blown out ;)

But season before got bad.

But ya gotta keep work ethic going at all times...you know how 11 year olds are.

What I would do is emphasize and reinforce they things

Back checking
Blocking shots
Face offs
Owning both creases
Etc etc

I'd get more excited about those things then any goal

Because you're not an idiot parent worrying about their kid crying over a 10 goal loss.

Puck Head
07-14-2013, 06:02 PM
And I teach coaches on the other side of a blowout to do this....

Find battles within the game and focus on those.
Set some attainable goals.

Hell, just like your game..getting a dozen dropped on ya first half, and 2 in second half...
I'd make sure kids focused on THAT Improvement.

Puck Head
07-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Skinner hockey camps?

CCCP
07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
i've heard about it. cant say i've heard anything bad

Puck Head
08-04-2013, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmxsGIjM4eI&list=UUbYCh9T3H2dcNsn3TudWvNw

Here is that camp ill be working on all week.
I sure as hope to hell he doesn't expect my to have hands like his assistant in this video

CCCP
08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
trying to make the NHL, PH?

Puck Head
08-05-2013, 01:33 PM
trying to make the NHL, PH?

I'll actually be presenting this stuff :)
He's up 5 days and asked 3 local coaches to run camp

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Mikey,
I felt your stress this week for the first time ever.
One week of tryouts finally finished last night and it was a nightmare not being the coach of the team my kid is not trying out for.

Mike
08-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Mikey,
I felt your stress this week for the first time ever.
One week of tryouts finally finished last night and it was a nightmare not being the coach of the team my kid is not trying out for.

Hahahahahaha ..... The funny thing is that the parents are 10000000x more nervous than the kids are. Are the tryouts over? It's so funny how different things are from there to here. You're having tryouts now, and we're in week 2 of training camp with a roster that was picked in April.

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Hahahahahaha ..... The funny thing is that the parents are 10000000x more nervous than the kids are. Are the tryouts over? It's so funny how different things are from there to here. You're having tryouts now, and we're in week 2 of training camp with a roster that was picked in April.

Yes, tryouts are over.
42 kids on the ice for 5 days.

We like to wait as long as possible, (kids change so much after season).
AAA Major team selected this morning.
AA Minor team should be posted sometime today i'm guessing

Mike
08-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Yes, tryouts are over.
42 kids on the ice for 5 days.

We like to wait as long as possible, (kids change so much after season).
AAA Major team selected this morning.
AA Minor team should be posted sometime today i'm guessing
What team are you coaching? What team did your son try out for? And 42 is a low number here. You guys are more regional. We have 70-100 kids on the ice, including 6-10 goalies.

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
What team are you coaching? What team did your son try out for? And 42 is a low number here. You guys are more regional. We have 70-100 kids on the ice, including 6-10 goalies.

We have around 240 Pee Wees, but typically only 40-50 tryout for the AAA team.
People have a decent understanding what of Tier their kids should be tryout out for.
AA team is selected next, and then the Tier 3 next week, (huge numbers on the ice).

He was able to make that AAA team, he was on the outside looking in IMO, but he seemed to have a good tryout.
And the "intangibles" from what I've heard put him on the roster.
I'm essentially developing the type of player Phil loves :)

Mike
08-23-2013, 12:32 PM
We have around 240 Pee Wees, but typically only 40-50 tryout for the AAA team.
People have a decent understanding what of Tier their kids should be tryout out for.
AA team is selected next, and then the Tier 3 next week, (huge numbers on the ice).

He was able to make that AAA team, he was on the outside looking in IMO, but he seemed to have a good tryout.
And the "intangibles" from what I've heard put him on the roster.
I'm essentially developing the type of player Phil loves :)
Great !!! I'm happy for him. Send me the link for your team again when it goes up.

CCCP
08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Awesome stuff, PH. Congrats.

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks

Was good for him to reach out and make a team at that level and with me no where around

Mike
08-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks

Was good for him to reach out and make a team at that level and with me no where around

Yeah, the both of you are definitely in a different situation than the rest of us. It's tougher for him than you, but you're more nervous than he is. lol

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Yeah, the both of you are definitely in a different situation than the rest of us. It's tougher for him than you, but you're more nervous than he is. lol

I was!
And didn't realize how nervous I would be!!!

I've never done that in 20 years, (sit in stands as a parent).

Mike
08-23-2013, 01:54 PM
I was!
And didn't realize how nervous I would be!!!

I've never done that in 20 years, (sit in stands as a parent).

Try being the parent of the kid that's constantly out there on an island. Who do you notice the most during a drill with 50 kids on the ice? The fuckin goalie.

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Try being the parent of the kid that's constantly out there on an island. Who do you notice the most during a drill with 50 kids on the ice? The fuckin goalie.

There were only 4 goaltenders trying out for Major team, and during the scrimmages, (last 3 days)...
If they got scored on they get pulled.

I'll give my kid this....each time the tender came to the bench, he walked down, patted them on the back and said something.
Really could care less about hockey when compared to that type of stuff.

Mike
08-23-2013, 02:12 PM
There were only 4 goaltenders trying out for Major team, and during the scrimmages, (last 3 days)...
If they got scored on they get pulled.

I'll give my kid this....each time the tender came to the bench, he walked down, patted them on the back and said something.
Really could care less about hockey when compared to that type of stuff.
This, 10 fold. Can I rep Dylan?

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 02:15 PM
1- I wouldn't last 10 minutes as the parent of a goaltender. My son did it in soccer, (just rec and nobody cares about soccer up here)....and it drove me nuts

2- I tell my son this. Be the hardest working best behaved kid on the ice and you will go far. From what i'm hearing he did that this last week.

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 02:17 PM
This, 10 fold. Can I rep Dylan?

Dylan knows that everytime a goaltender gets scored upon, there are 5 other players to blame first ;)
And he knows that blame does no good so don't bother.
And he's ferocious in protecting his tender in the slot, on the bench, in the locker room, etc.
let me find a great pic for you......

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p762/storey9911/860625_10200603068388757_1382151869_o_zpsa2e7d747. jpg

Ass to net protecting goaltender

Mike
08-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Dylan knows that everytime a goaltender gets scored upon, there are 5 other players to blame first ;)
And he's ferocious in protecting his tender in the slot, on the bench, in the locker room, etc.

And in turn, Michael knows there are 5 other players on the ice trying to prevent the same puck from going in the net that he is. So never blame anyone on the ice when it goes in. The problem is that he blames himself every time. It could be a 3 on 0 with Gretzky, Messier and Kurri, and he thinks it's his fault.

Dunny
08-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Son gets fitted for skates next week. 4 years old. Hopefully the start of some great memories.

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Son gets fitted for skates next week. 4 years old. Hopefully the start of some great memories.

YES!

Mike
08-23-2013, 02:32 PM

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p762/storey9911/860625_10200603068388757_1382151869_o_zpsa2e7d747. jpg

Ass to net protecting goaltender
Yeahhhhh baby

If you turn him into a goalie, I have plenty of gear for him, free of charge. This fuckin kid grows like a root. 5 sets in 4 years. Skates and sticks too.

Dunny
08-23-2013, 02:34 PM
My dad was a goalie, I was a goalie, brother is a goalie.

He will not be a goalie.

Mike
08-23-2013, 02:35 PM

He will not be a goalie.

hahahahahaha

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 02:47 PM

He will not be a goalie.

Good

Morphinity
08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Found this on Twitter lol

http://www.etsy.com/listing/154361542/no-soliciting-wood-sign-our-son-plays?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_query=hockey&ga_ref=auto_recent&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery#

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 03:25 PM
A team we knocked out at state last season, headed to Europe this summer.
(I think there minds were already focused on Europe).

Blown away with the idea of 11 year olds traveling to Europe to play hockey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaydkoyoe04

Dunny
08-23-2013, 04:20 PM
We used to play traveling Euro teams in Pee Wee. Danish in my case.

Puck Head
08-23-2013, 05:06 PM
International travel for us at the Pee Wee age was heading to Whitehorse or Dawson.

Some tough kids over there in the Yukon.

Mike
08-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Puck, when does your training camp start, and how vigorous is it?

Puck Head
08-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Puck, when does your training camp start, and how vigorous is it?

We don't start practicing for another few weeks.
We don't have anything like a training camp

Mike
08-25-2013, 08:43 PM
We don't start practicing for another few weeks.
We don't have anything like a training camp

Wow ... our first game is 9/14. They have 3 optional practices this week, and then training camp starts on 9/5. They practice on that Thursday, Friday, a double on Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday

Puck Head
08-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow ... our first game is 9/14. They have 3 optional practices this week, and then training camp starts on 9/5. They practice on that Thursday, Friday, a double on Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday

Our games run from end of October through March.
So slowly just now getting into it.

We've never run any kind of "camp" until Bantam AAA.

Typically first 3-4 practices will have a lot of edgework, skating, and very little pucks.
But most of these kids hit the hockey camps and clinics heading into tryouts to get ready. Example, my son got 20 sheets of ice the two weeks heading into tryouts.

Mike
08-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Our games run from end of October through March.
So slowly just now getting into it.

We've never run any kind of "camp" until Bantam AAA.

Typically first 3-4 practices will have a lot of edgework, skating, and very little pucks.
But most of these kids hit the hockey camps and clinics heading into tryouts to get ready. Example, my son got 20 sheets of ice the two weeks heading into tryouts.
Yeah, that's been going on here for the last 2 weeks. The season ends in the beginning - mid March, with the playoffs the following week.

Puck Head
08-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Season ends mid March, and when did you guys have tryouts?

Mike
08-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Season ends mid March, and when did you guys have tryouts?

April

Puck Head
08-25-2013, 09:07 PM
April

That's crazy.
Do they give a reason??

USA hockey may have to step in here nation wide, (it's been discussed), and mandate Fall tryouts rather then spring.
Spring tryouts inhibit player development.

Mike
08-25-2013, 09:14 PM
That's crazy.
Do they give a reason??

USA hockey may have to step in here nation wide, (it's been discussed), and mandate Fall tryouts rather then spring.
Spring tryouts inhibit player development.

The tryout dates are set by the leagues. Hockey is different here. If they waited until August to host tryouts, there would be mayhem. Kids leave one organization and go somewhere else. They don't want you trying out at place "A", make the team, and then go try out for another team that may be better or offer you more ice time. You must host your Tier 1 tryouts within a set date given from Monday - Friday. Tier 2 is the following week. If you give these kids/parents 5 months to look around for a team, there would be 0 cohesiveness anywhere. It's competitive and there would be offers all over the place to drag you away from the team you played on the year before. A month ago, a coach from another organization offered to buy out Michael's contract with the Colonials to go play for his team. It's fuckin nuts.

Puck Head
08-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Why not just do all of that in the fall?

Mike
08-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Why not just do all of that in the fall?

You're giving parents and other organizations 5 months to move around. Season is officially over after the playoffs are completed. After that, you're free to go wherever you want. You can't tamper with a kid under contract. There are serious penalties for tampering here. Fines, suspensions, etc .. When you sign the kids in April, they can't leave unless the organization signs a release.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 12:55 AM
You're giving parents and other organizations 5 months to move around. Season is officially over after the playoffs are completed. After that, you're free to go wherever you want. You can't tamper with a kid under contract. There are serious penalties for tampering here. Fines, suspensions, etc .. When you sign the kids in April, they can't leave unless the organization signs a release.

We have 8 comp organizations around the anch bowl area. 3 nationally ranked. Multiple national titles.

Tryouts in fall.

I'm still confused as to what the problem is.
Sounds like parents are coaches are more focused on politics and recruitment then development

Why would coaches even be talking to parents and players during the summer?

Mike
08-26-2013, 08:44 AM
During the season coaches have parents from their own team talk to other parents of other kids to circumvent the tampering rule. There is so much of it, and everyone is afraid you're going to leave. Having the tryouts 2 weeks after the season is over prevents coaches from calling parents. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you talk to them in that small window between season's end and tryout week. You guys have more kids that play hockey when you look at it percentage wise to your population. The organizations around here have 20+ teams from Mites -16U. So yes, politics and money are highly involved. There are 19 teams in Michael's division this year. 3 of them have 2 teams, so that's 16 orgs with AA teams. All 3 that have multiple teams, all have AAA teams. That right there shows they aren't sandbagging. Some lower divisions have close to 30 teams in it. Go to NJYHL.com and click on standings and schedules. All the divisions come up for each age group. Click on the divisions and take a look at all the teams competing for the same kids.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I guess it goes back to a question of character in regards to your coaches.
Tampering? Cicumventing? Sounds crazy to me.

And yes, you guys have more teams.
But it sounds as though there are other issues when having to "stop" bad behavior by coaches means the kids have to tryout that early.

We have in the Pee Wee division
9 AA teams.
9 A teams.
16 Tier "3" teams.

And around 50 Tier 4 teams (house)

Mike
08-26-2013, 02:24 PM

But it sounds as though there are other issues when having to "stop" bad behavior by coaches means the kids have to tryout that early.

9 AA teams.
9 A teams.
16 Tier "3" teams.

You can view it from every angle, but it all comes down to the 1 thing ....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Do they need that summer time to start fundraising etc?
That was one of the original points that some comp teams had in regards to Spring tryouts instead of Fall

Mike
08-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Do they need that summer time to start fundraising etc?
That was one of the original points that some comp teams had in regards to Spring tryouts instead of Fall

I'm not sure exactly how that works, so I can't comment there. It may have something to do with it for some orgs, but not others. I can certainly understand their sense of urgency to get everyone signed, and collect. I think by signing in April, it gives some parents time to pay the 3-4k BEFORE the season starts. No org wants payment plans going on while they're in December.

Mike
08-26-2013, 02:57 PM

9 AA teams.
9 A teams.
16 Tier "3" teams.

NJYHL at the PeeWee level has
19 AA teams
33 A teams
31 B teams

..... and then you have 23 tier 1 teams in the AYHL, and some of the other local tier 1 teams play in other tier 1 leagues. There are also other tier 2/3 leagues with local organizations. They have the Hudson Valley Hockey League, and the Garden State Youth Hockey League ... so throw another 30+ teams into the tier 2 mix at just the PeeWee level.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 03:28 PM
NJYHL at the PeeWee level has
19 AA teams
33 A teams
31 B teams

..... and then you have 23 tier 1 teams in the AYHL, and some of the other local tier 1 teams play in other tier 1 leagues. There are also other tier 2/3 leagues with local organizations. They have the Hudson Valley Hockey League, and the Garden State Youth Hockey League ... so throw another 30+ teams into the tier 2 mix at just the PeeWee level.

But i'm still confused as to why in the world they are having tryouts that early.
Once again, you only have so many registered USA hockey members in that area.
Is not THAT much greater then us.

And there are areas in Canada that blow us both away in regards to numbers.
It sounds like the ONLY reason they have tryouts so early is because they have created a enviroment where politics and crazy parents rule.

Mike
08-26-2013, 03:33 PM
But i'm still confused as to why in the world they are having tryouts that early.
Once again, you only have so many registered USA hockey members in that area.
Is not THAT much greater then us.

And there are areas in Canada that blow us both away in regards to numbers.
It sounds like the ONLY reason they have tryouts so early is because they have created a enviroment where politics and crazy parents rule.

LOL, it is the only reason. The other things I listed are all factors into why it's so political.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 03:40 PM
LOL, it is the only reason. The other things I listed are all factors into why it's so political.

Seems to me that parents are going to drift to what ever coach/program they like no matter what, (fall/spring).
Typically around here the kids sign up for development, and stick within that program unless something drastic happens.

At the Pee Wee Major level, (us), and the Bantam AAA level, the amount of teams playing comp reduce dramatically.
That is when we start the heavy filter and it becomes much more competitive.

You have 200 kids out of 2000 trying out for 3-4 teams you pretty much even the playing field.
Coaches don't have to worry about who's showing up, there is plenty of talent to choose from.

After Bantam we send them the fuck out of here.

Mike
08-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Seems to me that parents are going to drift to what ever coach/program they like no matter what, (fall/spring).
Typically around here the kids sign up for development, and stick within that program unless something drastic happens.

At the Pee Wee Major level, (us), and the Bantam AAA level, the amount of teams playing comp reduce dramatically.
That is when we start the heavy filter and it becomes much more competitive.

You have 200 kids out of 2000 trying out for 3-4 teams you pretty much even the playing field.
Coaches don't have to worry about who's showing up, there is plenty of talent to choose from.

After Bantam we send them the fuck out of here.

I understand that it's impossible for these orgs to please everyone, but when parents or kids feel robbed or slighted because of political bullshit, can you blame them for leaving? After this past season was over, a coach called me asking for Michael to come play for him. Why shouldn't I offer that option to my son? They're a top notch organization around here. I never complain to coaches, and I'm the easiest parent to deal with, but taking advantage of my kindness and loyalty isn't fair especially when there's no communication or lying. It's not fair to me, or Michael. He's missed 2 practices and 0 games in 4+ years. Not cool.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 05:12 PM
I understand that it's impossible for these orgs to please everyone, but when parents or kids feel robbed or slighted because of political bullshit, can you blame them for leaving? After this past season was over, a coach called me asking for Michael to come play for him. Why shouldn't I offer that option to my son? They're a top notch organization around here. I never complain to coaches, and I'm the easiest parent to deal with, but taking advantage of my kindness and loyalty isn't fair especially when there's no communication or lying. It's not fair to me, or Michael. He's missed 2 practices and 0 games in 4+ years. Not cool.

But couldn't that coach have waited untill fall?
I guess that's my point. Even with coaches calling kids, why not wait until the fall to do tryouts?

Kids change WAY too much over the summer, and the fall trouts encourage developement over the summer.
About the only thing we have to do is monitor and lower the amount of ice time parents try and get their kids over the summer.

And then 3 weeks before tryouts we encourage as much ice as they can handle.

Mike
08-26-2013, 06:13 PM
But couldn't that coach have waited untill fall?
I guess that's my point. Even with coaches calling kids, why not wait until the fall to do tryouts?

Kids change WAY too much over the summer, and the fall trouts encourage developement over the summer.
About the only thing we have to do is monitor and lower the amount of ice time parents try and get their kids over the summer.

And then 3 weeks before tryouts we encourage as much ice as they can handle.

No. Once you tryout and make a team, you sign a contract. The kid can't leave unless the team agrees to release him. They lock all the kids in, and more importantly for them, they lock the money in. They won't wait until fall for tryouts because too much can happen, and they can potentially lose kids which equals losing money. Come spring and summer time, a lot of people get together and make super teams for tournaments. Too much persuasion and convincing can go on in those months. 2,3, or 4 kids from one team, could leave and go somewhere else. Tier 1 has a rule in place that no more than 2 kids can leave a team and go to another tier 1 team. I agree about the kids changing and developing, but the all mighty dollar takes precedent over everything else. If you want your kid to get better, you have to do the extra things in the off season. Camps, clinics, privates, etc ...

Pete
08-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Nice to know it's all about developing the sport and players.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 06:19 PM

Bwahahaha

Peetie,
You and Adriana are sending your son my way for development.
Agreed?

Pete
08-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Bwahahaha

Peetie,
You and Adriana are sending your son my way for development.
Agreed?

I'm not going to have a choice!

I figure I pay you to board him and feed him, he goes to public school in Alaska, and you develop him as a player and a person...And that would likely cost less than private school, hockey in NJ, and he'd be a better human for it.

;)

Dunny
08-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Oh fuck off, he should go the Major Junior route!!1!1!!

Pete
08-26-2013, 06:35 PM

I'd send him to you, but he'd come back unionized.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Major Jr is perfect Dunny.
We really don't develop here after age 16

Mike
08-26-2013, 06:44 PM

It happens in every sport around here. They're always looking for the next best player. A winning team or organization draws people to it like a moth to a flame. If you're kid isn't good enough in whatever sport he plays, he's never going to get better unless you take the time out and spend the money for privates.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 06:47 PM
It happens in every sport around here. They're always looking for the next best player. A winning team or organization draws people to it like a moth to a flame. If you're kid isn't good enough in whatever sport he plays, he's never going to get better unless you take the time out and spend the money for privates.

We go the communist route up here best we can.
Develop all we can on the same program from ages 5-12.
Then we start to filter best we can.

Pete
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM

This would seem to develop the best players.

As opposed to this.

Mike
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way around here, in any sport. Everyone is looking to nab the best player. I got 5 emails and calls from coaches asking me if Michael would play ball for them this past summer. People are nuts.

Dunny
08-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Your minor sports systems are completely fucked. Completely. You're School based programs are phenomonal however.

Mike
08-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Your minor sports systems are completely fucked. Completely. You're School based programs are phenomonal however.

Yeah, the schools that you PAY to go to have great teams. Highschool sports is a club team that shares the same teachers.

Puck Head
08-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Ours is based off your system!

Mike
08-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Nice optional skate today. We're on again tomorrow and Thursday, and then next week is when they start to sweat. I'm looking forward to the season.

CCCP
08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
2hour boot camp all week this week

Puck Head
08-28-2013, 12:17 PM
2hour boot camp all week this week

What's a boot camp?
How old are kids?

Mike
08-28-2013, 12:28 PM
What's a boot camp?
How old are kids?

I'm assuming it's just his term for the same thing you'll be doing next week. A lot of skating.

Puck Head
08-28-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm assuming it's just his term for the same thing you'll be doing next week. A lot of skating.

We call that practice :)

If I skate kids for 45 minutes.
Inside edges
Outside edges
Stride drills
Balance drills

I can wear them out harder then 45 minutes of down and backs, (which are worthless).
And it's never, ever a punishment.......we treat it as a fucking privilage.
You want to become better, work hard the next 45 minutes.

Ya it's a no puck practice, but we don't consider it "camp", or "preason".....it's simple practice of developement.

:)

Puck Head
08-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Yeah, the schools that you PAY to go to have great teams. Highschool sports is a club team that shares the same teachers.

Depends on what State.
Michigan/Californa are all about Comp hockey from ages 14-18.

Minnesota is all about High School hockey from ages 14-18.

In Alaska we do a hybrid which many in USA hockey have taken notice and seem to like.

Mike
08-28-2013, 01:41 PM
We call that practice :)

If I skate kids for 45 minutes.
Inside edges
Outside edges
Stride drills
Balance drills

I can wear them out harder then 45 minutes of down and backs, (which are worthless).
And it's never, ever a punishment.......we treat it as a fucking privilage.
You want to become better, work hard the next 45 minutes.

Ya it's a no puck practice, but we don't consider it "camp", or "preason".....it's simple practice of developement.

:)

Yes, but how many practices during the season do you have without pucks?

Puck Head
08-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Yes, but how many practices during the season do you have without pucks?

None, never, ever, ever, ever, ever.
Always have pucks on ice.

Only change is the ratio to skating/edgwork in relation to puck drills.
Actually, every single practice till the age of 15 or so should end in some kind of "scrimmage" or small area competitive games.
Something I need to get better at.

I find myself running drills, stations, etc...and whamo....5 minutes left in practice.

Mike
08-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Actually, every single practice till the age of 15 or so should end in some kind of "scrimmage" or small area competitive games.

I find myself running drills, stations, etc...and whamo....5 minutes left in practice.

Exactly ... lol. You call it practice, others call it training camp.

What do you mean? Instilling it into your practices?

Morphinity
08-28-2013, 01:58 PM

And psychologically, it gives kids something to look forward to. I used to love scrimmages at the end of practice.

Personally, my favorite was when the coach would stop scrimmages when he saw something that needed to be corrected or he saw something that exemplified what he just went over in practice. It was great to learn that kind of stuff and have him show it in a simulated game situation.

Mike
08-28-2013, 02:03 PM
And psychologically, it gives kids something to look forward to. I used to love scrimmages at the end of practice.

Personally, my favorite was when the coach would stop scrimmages when he saw something that needed to be corrected or he saw something that exemplified what he just went over in practice. It was great to learn that kind of stuff and have him show it in a simulated game situation.

Of course. Skating drills sucked. Before the team went on the ice last night, a kid in the locker room asked if we were skating. I said, no, 10-15 minutes of drills just to warm the goalies up, and then scrimmaging the rest of the way. You never saw 14 kids celebrate like that before.

Morphinity
08-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Of course. Skating drills sucked. Before the team went on the ice last night, a kid in the locker room asked if we were skating. I said, no, 10-15 minutes of drills just to warm the goalies up, and then scrimmaging the rest of the way. You never saw 14 kids celebrate like that before.

Those were the best practices. Skate the dots, do some 2-on-1's or weaves, and then scrimmage for an hour.

I miss being a kid.

Puck Head
08-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Exactly ... lol. You call it practice, others call it training camp.

What do you mean? Instilling it into your practices?

Yes, too often last year I missed out on scrimmages, small area games, etc at the end of practice cause we got caught up on station drills, flow, etc.

Mike
08-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Yes, too often last year I missed out on scrimmages, small area games, etc at the end of practice cause we got caught up on station drills, flow, etc.

It's tough to put a clock on a practice due to the 1 or 2 drill busters that need further explanation. But just wrap it up after 45, and give them 15 minutes cross ice.

Mike
08-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Those were the best practices. Skate the dots, do some 2-on-1's or weaves, and then scrimmage for an hour.

I miss being a kid.

lol, well these are just optional skates organized by a few parents, so we're just looking to get them back in the flow before the head coach tears them apart next week. They have 5 practices in 7 days, including a double next Saturday.

Puck Head
08-28-2013, 02:47 PM
It's tough to put a clock on a practice due to the 1 or 2 drill busters that need further explanation. But just wrap it up after 45, and give them 15 minutes cross ice.

This is exactly what I should be doing.
I'm not justifying my failure, just acknowledging it :)

Morphinity
08-28-2013, 02:48 PM
lol, well these are just optional skates organized by a few parents, so we're just looking to get them back in the flow before the head coach tears them apart next week. They have 5 practices in 7 days, including a double next Saturday.

Are the parents paying for this directly, or is the team sponsoring it?

Mike
08-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Are the parents paying for this directly, or is the team sponsoring it?

Parents are chipping in $20, but we've had some free optional practices. Gotta love some of the perks we get from certain someone(s).

Mike
08-28-2013, 03:02 PM
This is exactly what I should be doing.
I'm not justifying my failure, just acknowledging it :)

Send me your practice schedule. I'll text you when there's 15 minutes left.

Puck Head
08-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Send me your practice schedule. I'll text you when there's 15 minutes left.

LOL

Puck Head
09-11-2013, 03:06 PM
How goes the beginning of the season for everyone?

Dunny
09-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Boy had first practice this morning, after examining the video I predict a 1st rounder in 2026. The way he got up after falling down 20 times was simply sublime.

Puck Head
09-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Boy had first practice this morning, after examining the video I predict a 1st rounder in 2026. The way he got up after falling down 20 times was simply sublime.

Yar!
How old is he now?