• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

I should really call Verizon and threaten or something because my internet speeds are fucking horrible. I checked on speedstest, and I am getting overall grade of "D"

I have verizon DSL I think.... I actually meant to ask you guys if the download speeds were normal... I don't know how to tell my parents to change either being that they have the 3 in 1 package with DIrectTV. Does that mean they can only get Verizon?

That being said, why the fuck do I have such slow speeds. I'll post it.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2186031903.png

That just has to be horrible, no?

3 Questions -

Are you wired in, or wireless?

If wired in - call Verizon, they're shafting you.

If wireless:

-are you on channels 1, 6 or 11? While Verizon calls these optimum performance channels, no channel is "optimum" when 10 people are using it in a 200 foot radius. Try 2, 4, 7 or 9 and keep testing until you find one.

-are you in an area of your house with a lot of mirrors or metal construction? If so, those block, reflect, scramble or otherwise damage your wireless connectivity.

I should really call Verizon and threaten or something because my internet speeds are fucking horrible. I checked on speedstest, and I am getting overall grade of "D"

I have verizon DSL I think.... I actually meant to ask you guys if the download speeds were normal... I don't know how to tell my parents to change either being that they have the 3 in 1 package with DIrectTV. Does that mean they can only get Verizon?

That being said, why the fuck do I have such slow speeds. I'll post it.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2186031903.png

That just has to be horrible, no?

Thats pretty bad. I dont even see on their website where they still offer DSL. I would ditch that.. you can hook up their bundles with their FIOS internet. Do that if you can.

Bitch long enough and they come down quite a bit. Got my bill knocked down to the 150-range down from nearly $200, added in 12 months of Showtime, a reduction on our HBO bill an upgrade on our internet and a sports tier.

Still hate Time Warner, but I'll take that deal for now just fine and wait for FiOS.

3 Questions -

Are you wired in, or wireless?

If wired in - call Verizon, they're shafting you.

If wireless:

-are you on channels 1, 6 or 11? While Verizon calls these optimum performance channels, no channel is "optimum" when 10 people are using it in a 200 foot radius. Try 2, 4, 7 or 9 and keep testing until you find one.

-are you in an area of your house with a lot of mirrors or metal construction? If so, those block, reflect, scramble or otherwise damage your wireless connectivity.

Wireless, while one computer is wired (and yes, that is slow as fuck too. Have to check the speed on that)

Not sure what channel I'm on, but I guess I'd like to find out?

I have nothing of the sort around me. Obviously I have a printer right near my modem, and that's all really. It's in a pretty good spot.

Thats pretty bad. I dont even see on their website where they still offer DSL. I would ditch that.. you can hook up their bundles with their FIOS internet. Do that if you can.

Yeah - problem is FIOS is not available on my block. Apparently they had to ask every single resident on the block if it was OK for them to put the wires up (and the setups are in the backyards, not the front on the sidewalk). Apparently one guy bitched and that's why they didn't do it.

Not sure if they ever will without an agreement from that one person.

If it is a 3 in 1 that is/was 99 dollars a month, with phone, direct TV and Verizon DSL Internet, you are paying for a low speed connection. The top speed on that package is 3mbps a second. If you were to put an equivalent, it would be like a time warner customer getting Road Runner Lite.

So, do I have to pay more for a top speed package (3mbps a sec)? Or they are really shafting me that bad?

Wireless, while one computer is wired (and yes, that is slow as fuck too. Have to check the speed on that)

Not sure what channel I'm on, but I guess I'd like to find out?

I have nothing of the sort around me. Obviously I have a printer right near my modem, and that's all really. It's in a pretty good spot.

Yeah - problem is FIOS is not available on my block. Apparently they had to ask every single resident on the block if it was OK for them to put the wires up (and the setups are in the backyards, not the front on the sidewalk). Apparently one guy bitched and that's why they didn't do it.

Not sure if they ever will without an agreement from that one person.

So, do I have to pay more for a top speed package (3mbps a sec)? Or they are really shafting me that bad?

If they offer anything faster, then yes you would have to pay more. Aim in the area of 10-15mpbs and I think you will be fine.They aren't shafting you because that is the plan your parents picked. In my area, you can't buy DSL any higher than 3MBPS a second from Verizon. Most likely because it is antiquated and will eventually be phased out by fiber.

If they offer anything faster, then yes you would have to pay more. Aim in the area of 10-15mpbs and I think you will be fine.They aren't shafting you because that is the plan your parents picked. In my area, you can't buy DSL any higher than 3MBPS a second from Verizon. Most likely because it is antiquated and will eventually be phased out by fiber.

Is 3mpbs a lot more expensive? I think the plan, like you said, is at the rate of $99/month

Just dieting. Might kick it into high gear these last three weeks and do a little extra and hit the bike again. Can't really run — I have two bad knees and a build up of scar tissue in my lower back. After about 15 minutes of running my back sometimes spasms and it's a pain I try to avoid at all cost.

Just dieting. Might kick it into high gear these last three weeks and do a little extra and hit the bike again. Can't really run — I have two bad knees and a build up of scar tissue in my lower back. After about 15 minutes of running my back sometimes spasms and it's a pain I try to avoid at all cost.

Ever try bike-riding? Does that hurt more?

Ever try bike-riding? Does that hurt more?

Don't have a bike anymore. Sold it. Works great, though. I just have to elevate the seat at the right angle so I straighten my back when I ride.

I have a stationary at home. I'll just start kicking into it again each night before bed.

Finally got a job! It's been almost 3 months since I've had a job and I've been pretty scared not gonna lie. I finally landed one. It took 4 interviews and a "Day in the life" where I worked with them from 5am-3pm. It felt so good to get that call today! That means you fuckers will be seeing a lot less of me. I know I know, you're all ecstatic about that. lol
  • Like 1

Finally got a job! It's been almost 3 months since I've had a job and I've been pretty scared not gonna lie. I finally landed one. It took 4 interviews and a "Day in the life" where I worked with them from 5am-3pm. It felt so good to get that call today! That means you fuckers will be seeing a lot less of me. I know I know, you're all ecstatic about that. lol

Congrats Joey! :cheers: Good for you!!

Finally got a job! It's been almost 3 months since I've had a job and I've been pretty scared not gonna lie. I finally landed one. It took 4 interviews and a "Day in the life" where I worked with them from 5am-3pm. It felt so good to get that call today! That means you fuckers will be seeing a lot less of me. I know I know' date=' you're all ecstatic about that. lol[/quote']

Congrats.

Depends on your build, to be honest.

I'm 6'4, and given my build, my target weight is around 225 in spite of the fact that it would leave me in the "Overweight" BMI.

Correct. I'm not that big. Just somewhat tall.

170 should suffice just fine for me. It's not the weight I'm concerned with anyway, it's body fat. I'd happily trade 170 with whatever body fat I have for 190 if I'm adding it in muscle.

Wooohooo!!!! Good for you Joey! Glad all your hard work finally paid off for you! Wish you the best of luck with the new career!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm just so glad that I can finally start looking toward the future and not worry about what it holds any more. I can move on and more importantly start planning it.