• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CapFriendly Officially Shuts Down After Purchase by Washington Capitals

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/capitals-reach-agreement-to-purchase-capfriendly-website/

These same sources stressed that both the Capitals and CapFriendly wanted the site to be publicly available and independently operated through the 2024 NHL Draft and the start of free agency, so it is not expected the sale will be official until at least July 5. 

NHL teams that had agreements to use their tools/Application Programming Interface (API) recently received notice that these contracts would be terminated. This led to speculation that one club was buying the site, and all information pointed to the Capitals.

You can definitely see why a team would want this infrastructure. After the transaction officially closes, the website will go dark.

The NHL should block the sale and then buyout Capfriendly for the league's statistical service.

It's a *huge* disservice to NHL fans by the Caps if they buy this out and shut it down.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

What purpose does it serve the Capitals to do this?

Other teams were using paid services, so this enables the Capitals to eliminate those programs from being accessible to other teams.

28 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Other teams were using paid services, so this enables the Capitals to eliminate those programs from being accessible to other teams.

I honestly just assumed every team had something more sophisticated than CapFriendly. Wow 2024 and teams were using free CapFriendly for cap analysis?

Maybe I’ll start my own…

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I honestly just assumed every team had something more sophisticated than CapFriendly. Wow 2024 and teams were using free CapFriendly for cap analysis?

Maybe I’ll start my own…

I'm probably missing something here, but it doesn't seem like it's any type of crazy algorithm.... It's just a table of contracts and when they expire, what more is there that can't be built fairly easily by a developer?

Just now, Pete said:

I'm probably missing something here, but it doesn't seem like it's any type of crazy algorithm.... It's just a table of contracts and when they expire, what more is there that can't be built fairly easily by a developer?

Yeah the data is the key. I don’t know where they sourced their data or if they tracked their own.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah the data is the key. I don’t know where they sourced their data or if they tracked their own.

Some of it is scraped and some of it is entered manually I'm sure.

Seems like the biggest benefit is just keeping it away from other teams, but at the end of the day it's not something that other teams can't build. None of this is patented, it's literally just tables. 

Just now, Pete said:

Some of it is scraped and some of it is entered manually I'm sure.

Seems like the biggest benefit is just keeping it away from other teams, but at the end of the day it's not something that other teams can't build. None of this is patented, it's literally just tables. 

Right. I really just thought the NHL had an internal application that teams could use to do pretty much the same thing. I’m pretty shocked to learn that professional teams worth hundreds of millions of dollars are apparently this far behind lol

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Right. I really just thought the NHL had an internal application that teams could use to do pretty much the same thing. I’m pretty shocked to learn that professional teams worth hundreds of millions of dollars are apparently this far behind lol

explains a lot about the rangers and the cap actually 🤣

• LMFAO 3

6 minutes ago, Valriera said:

(Software eng here)

if you guys enter the data I would remake the website 

Do it. Then in a few years, get bought. What was the cap site before capfriendly? And who bought that one? The league? I forget exactly but before capfriendly, there was another one.
Surely there will be another resourceful cap hit site soon. 

Edit - I might be thinking of cap geek, where the owner died but I could have sworn there was another site that got absorbed by a team or the league. 

Edited by phillyb

i wqonder if the data the site has saved might include what kind of simulations/mock trades other GMs/team employees would have run on their site lol. Like yes, Drury did enter in a Trouba buyout to see what is would look like. you didn't need to a buy a website to tell you that

NHL should really create their own version of this, 1) as a tool they provide for all their teams to use on a private server, and 2) for fan engagement.

2 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

On a related note, the New York Rangers have announced the purchase of Blueshirts Brotherhood for an undisclosed amount.

this forum is actually in the line of succession of a forum that was on the rangers website that got out of control and lead to another forum (which I'm blanking on the name of) which turned into this one

• Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

• Phil changed the title to Washington Capitals Buying, Shutting Down CapFriendly
1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Am I missing the point here? Like, why are they doing this? I don’t get why. Makes no sense.

Because it's cheaper and easier to just buy the website and the people responsible for it than it is to make the same thing from scratch. 

• 4 weeks later...