• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Culture Shock? Brady Tkachuk Has Entered the Chat ...

From Vince:

There may not be a Tkachuk-level talent out there for Drury to chase. (Although there is another Tkachuk named Brady who may be getting tired of the losing in Ottawa.) But even if there is, will he have the roster flexibility to pull it off?

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/06/01/ny-rangers-game-6-score-vs-florida-panthers-saturday-nhl-eastern-conference-finals/73922029007/

I'd love to think Laf is off the table, but who knows. I'm more ok to part with kids I don't know anything about lol.

What is Ottawa looking for in return? Is there a deal around Kreider, Chytil/Kakko, + that even opens the conversation? 

• Keeps it 100 1

Laf is not the problem, he's a big part of the solution.

I think Fox has to go the other way in any Tkachuk deal that is not grossly over-weighted in favor of Ottawa.  Given the structure of the Senators at this point another high cap hit LD is going to be coming back to the Rangers in the deal alongside Tkachuk.

That opens the way for a Fox/Miller/Kakko/Goodrow type deal.

• Applause 1

• Phil changed the title to Culture Shock? Brady Tkachuk Has Entered the Chat ...
2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Laf is not the problem, he's a big part of the solution.

I think Fox has to go the other way in any Tkachuk deal that is not grossly over-weighted in favor of Ottawa.  Given the structure of the Senators at this point another high cap hit LD is going to be coming back to the Rangers in the deal alongside Tkachuk.

That opens the way for a Fox/Miller/Kakko/Goodrow type deal.

They're not going to want Fox with Sanderson and Chabot already filling that PPQB role.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

They're not going to want Fox with Sanderson and Chabot already filling that PPQB role.

I was figuring we were going to get Chabot back in the deal.

• Cheers 1

I don't see why Ottawa would trade Tkachuk. He's 24 and locked up for 4 more years. He fits their current timeline and trajectory alongside other young players. Matt was 1 year from UFA and openly communicated that he wouldn't re-sign in Calgary, or he wouldn't have been dealt either.

Not to mention, trading Fox for a wing, no matter how good that wing is, makes the Rangers a worse team. A bonafide 1D is almost always > 1W. Especially when you have trash depth at defense like the Rangers. I'm not in an "add sandpaper no matter the cost" mode here. There's a limit.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm not in an "add sandpaper no matter the cost" mode here. There's a limit.

In general, I'm not down for any deal that doesn't make the team better. If you trade Trouba with a high pick(2nd?) to ease the retention burden and get back nothing of value, that makes the team better. The same package to just to move Zib or Panarin does not.

Posted (edited)

If I'm a GM I'm not trading Brady.  He's exactly what the NHL is moving toward.  Recently I seemed to think lots of teams built a more skilled lineup from lines 1-4 and moved away from bigger, tougher "checking line" players, or so it seemed to me.  Now, looking at Florida and their success over the past few seasons, they have a much bigger. tougher, brinding type player lineup in that lineup.  Hell, even their 1st line has a lot of grind in there.

I really couldn't see Ottawa trading him...for just about anything!  Why take on weaker players that just showed you they failed?

Skilled perimeter players can only take you so far.  They can get you to the dance, but they ain't taking you home!

It's now a lot clearer to me why the Rangers traded Gartner at the deadline in '94.  Keenan really knew more than we did afterall!

Edited by Ozzy
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It's now a lot clearer to me why the Rangers traded Gartner at the deadline in '94.  Keenan really knew more than we did afterall!

Anderson had like 5 points that playoff.

Gartner had 11 in 18 games for TOR. He ad 26 points in 29 career playoff games for NYR.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Anderson had like 5 points that playoff.

Gartner had 11 in 18 games for TOR. He ad 26 points in 29 career playoff games for NYR.

But we won the cup.  ...and who said he would've done anything for us?  Anderson had chemistry with Mess, Graves and MacTavish...had 5 points, and played tough.  I liked Gartner too, but some moves aren't made for points....maybe to make a point  😉

3 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

the whole Brady Tkachuk thing has been discussed before but I see no realm where the Sens trade their fan favorite/captain who has years left at a relatively cost-controlled price.

Rumor is he’s wanted out of there but I’m no expert on the matter. 

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Rumor is he’s wanted out of there but I’m no expert on the matter. 

I guess the whole 'where there's smoke there's fire' thing might apply but i just really don't see how we pull off a deal. it would require too many guys to waive NMCs and then we end up just with more holes to fill anyway

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If I'm a GM I'm not trading Brady.  He's exactly what the NHL is moving toward.  Recently I seemed to think lots of teams built a more skilled lineup from lines 1-4 and moved away from bigger, tougher "checking line" players, or so it seemed to me.  Now, looking at Florida and their success over the past few seasons, they have a much bigger. tougher, brinding type player lineup in that lineup.  Hell, even their 1st line has a lot of grind in there.

I really couldn't see Ottawa trading him...for just about anything!  Why take on weaker players that just showed you they failed?

Skilled perimeter players can only take you so far.  They can get you to the dance, but they ain't taking you home!

I think you need a good mixture of skill and toughness, and both those attributes don't have to be in every single player. There's really multiple flavors you can adopt to be high end Cup contenders. Edmonton this year and Colorado 2 years ago were way more heavy on skilled players. Vegas last year leaned more towards Florida-style, but the year before they won the Cup they also traded to get "softer" on paper when they gave a 6'4" Tuch ++ for Eichel, who is anything but tough and needed back surgery just to play again. I think it's just about having the right mixture. Pure skill players are still 100% required, but they just need to find a way to keep producing in tight spaces in the playoffs when it matters. Not all of them can, clearly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

I'd love to think Laf is off the table, but who knows. I'm more ok to part with kids I don't know anything about lol.

What is Ottawa looking for in return? Is there a deal around Kreider, Chytil/Kakko, + that even opens the conversation? 

Same here!

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)

Fox, Kreider, Chytil, Kakko, Othmann and a 1st for Tkachuk and Chychrun.

Trade Trouba, retain $2 Million, add a pick to sweeten it.

Sign Guentzel to a 1 year, $10 Million deal.

Sign Chandler Stephenson 4 years $16 Million deal.

Sign Brendan Dillon to a 2 year, $6 Million deal.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Guentzel-Zibanejad-Tkachuk

Cuylle-Stephenson-Berard

Vesey-Goodrow-Rempe

Chychrun-Dillon

Miller-Schneider

Lindgren-Jones

Shesterkin

Quick

And before you ask, this is well under the projected $88 Million Salary Cap.

A nuclear bomb. Brings in talent. Brings in size. Brings in toughness. Brings in attitude. Brings in your Captain for the next decade.

boom GIF

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

You guys are funny. We want the guy's brother who just clowned us in the ECF. This isn't happening. Find someone in that mold. We aren't getting any Tkachuk unless Dad comes out of retirement.

Tyler Bertuzzi?

• Applause 1

Just now, jsm7302 said:

You guys are funny. We want the guy's brother who just clowned us in the ECF. This isn't happening. Find someone in that mold. We aren't getting any Tkachuk unless Dad comes out of retirement.

Tyler Bertuzzi?

Do I think it’s happening? Absolutely not.

Do I think it’s not happening because Matthew Tkachuk plays for the team that just eliminated us? Absolutely not.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Fox, Kreider, Chytil, Kakko, Othmann and a 1st for Tkachuk and Chychrun.

Trade Trouba, retain $2 Million, add a pick to sweeten it.

Sign Guentzel to a 1 year, $10 Million deal.

Sign Chandler Stephenson 4 years $16 Million deal.

Sign Brendan Dillon to a 2 year, $6 Million deal.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Guentzel-Zibanejad-Tkachuk

Cuylle-Stephenson-Berard

Vesey-Goodrow-Rempe

Chychrun-Dillon

Miller-Schneider

Lindgren-Jones

Shesterkin

Quick

And before you ask, this is well under the projected $88 Million Salary Cap.

A nuclear bomb. Brings in talent. Brings in size. Brings in toughness. Brings in attitude. Brings in your Captain for the next decade.

boom GIF

3 questions

What are you trading Trouba for?

How much are you signing Schneider and Lindgren for?

You do realize you have 5 left defenseman?

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

If Brady Tkachuk goes anywhere he's got to want to be competitive at this point.

NYR, Boston, Florida, TB, maybe Toronto.  that's where the action is in the East right now.  Carolina is probably a no but you never know.

29 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

3 questions

What are you trading Trouba for?

How much are you signing Schneider and Lindgren for?

You do realize you have 5 left defenseman?

And there's no way Guentzel or Stevenson are doing that. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

And there's no way Guentzel or Stevenson are doing that. 

Don't see Guentzel signing for 1 year. 

Stephenson's gonna be looking for more than 4m per season, probably more like 6m eh?